The Index thread (please keep to subject) - Page 5 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Comments

• kojackkojack Posts: 5,363 Volunteer Moderator

pyroth309 said:
    TomCgcmfc said:
    RuneSR2 said:
    Valve just posted a long article about FOV, pretty cool stuff  <3  B)

https://www.valvesoftware.com/sv/index/deep-dive/fov
    Thanks for that mate!

What's not clear to me is how the 5 degree/eye lens canting is going to work for all VR systems.  They say that normal rear projection should handle this but I'm not sure it will if you load Oculus Store apps with Revive and/or use opencompositeVR?  This is the info so far;

"The main downside of canting is that both the existing software content library and the field of GPU rendering hardware are all typically optimized for parallel eyes. Fortunately, this may be readily compensated for in software using the re-projection techniques we already depend on for maintaining a constant frame rate. We just need to do a tiny bit every frame.... This way, apps past, present, and future may continue rendering in parallel as they always have, and they will "just work" for HMDs with mild amounts of cant angles."

I guess we will not really know for sure until brave beta testers with deep pocket let us know, lol! 
    I think with the way Revive works is that it uses SteamVR primarily and basically hacks the Oculus games to work with Steam. If that's the case then canting should still be accounted for by SteamVR like it would for any other game. When I use Re-Vive, Supersampling and all that is still done with SteamVR and all of my normal Steam functions still work. We won't know for sure until someone tries it though as I think the Re-Vive dev only has Knuckles and not an Index. 
    The Oculus SDK has supported canted eyes since around 1.17. (before even Steam supported it).
    If Revive deals with the Index correctly, any Oculus game built using SDK 1.17 or above (and doing things properly) should handle it fine without needing reprojection to fix it.
    Although I've never run Revive and Valve still refuse to sell the Index to Australia, so this is just theory on my part. :)

• pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,568 Valuable Player
    https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=5523-WTGC-1875

They threw up a fitting guide lol. I guess things are getting close. 
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 2,865 Valuable Player
    edited June 21
    Hmmm... ;)

Not really a problem with Touch, I just let them hang in the wrist straps... 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,562 Valuable Player
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,262 Volunteer Moderator
    @kojack wonder what the FOV is on that mate ? Gets my money !!!!
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

edited June 21
    kojack said:
    kevinw729 said:
    Quest: 4 cameras
    Rift-S: 5 cameras
    Cosmos: 6 cameras

Not too far away:

But it still has the same problem of behind the back occlusion!

On another note....

Many people have gotten shipped notifications. Sadly I am not one of them yet. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/c3bwgv/shipped/

If it would have shipped today I'd have it Tuesday according to Fedex, instead looks like I'll get it Wednesday if it ships between now and Monday. 

• kojackkojack Posts: 5,363 Volunteer Moderator
    pyroth309 said:
    But it still has the same problem of behind the back occlusion!

Yep, it would still have inferior tracking to my 3 sensor constellation setup. :)

edited June 23
    RuneSR2 said:
    pyroth309 said:
    Whoaa. I asked the question awhile back when I saw that it was listed as Index supported game if it was still alive... Guess I got my answer. It's still one of my favorite VR games. 
    Yes, seems like reviews are amazing on Steam - but it looks like a Quest game  :#   :D Sorry, I mean it looks like a 144 Hz game!  o:) B)

"Seriously one of the best VR experiences I have had to date. Combat and collision mechanics are fantastic. Love the variation of weapons and feel of the environment. Can't recommend this game enough."

"One of the best hack and slash games available for VR (or really, one of the best VR experiences available, probably). The combat is responsive and intuitive, as is the item pickup and inventory system (unlike many VR games that hide that stuff behind a bunch of clunky menus displayed in world space)."

"One of the original VR greats. If you're a big fan of fantasy adventure games: You will want this game if you have a VR headset, I guarantee."

Then again, a 144 Hz game can't be bad... Hmmmm.... ;) Note that the 3 reviews from Steam were the 3 latest reviews, one from a few days ago, I wasn't cherry-picking great reviews.
    Just had an awesome time in Vanishing Realms, even if many textures are low-res the lighting and shadows can be quite impressive. It feels like the whole world is made of magic ;) The fighting is probably the best I've tried (have I said that before? lol) - had a battle with 3 meter (10 feet) tall skeleton boss today, used my sword and shield, and it really worked. And the opponents avoid your attacks, at least sometimes. The ability to use a pickaxe to mine gems from rocks is great too - I'm probably just in the beginning still, but this game grows on you. I wonder if some people consider it better than Skyrim? At least the sword fighting is awesome, bow maybe not so much.
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,920 Valuable Player
    NOTHING is better than Skyrim...well, at least not until Skywind and Skyblivion are released. They reckon either late this year or early next year for the former and a year after that for the latter.

Will probably have to use VorpX to play them in VR though I would have thought.

When Skywind is eventually released you probably won't see me for a good few months lol
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,427 Valuable Player
    edited June 24
    Delete.
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,262 Volunteer Moderator
    Get your pinkies ready ;)

A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

edited June 23
    RuneSR2 said:
    RuneSR2 said:
    pyroth309 said:
    Whoaa. I asked the question awhile back when I saw that it was listed as Index supported game if it was still alive... Guess I got my answer. It's still one of my favorite VR games. 
    Yes, seems like reviews are amazing on Steam - but it looks like a Quest game  :#   :D Sorry, I mean it looks like a 144 Hz game!  o:) B)

"Seriously one of the best VR experiences I have had to date. Combat and collision mechanics are fantastic. Love the variation of weapons and feel of the environment. Can't recommend this game enough."

"One of the best hack and slash games available for VR (or really, one of the best VR experiences available, probably). The combat is responsive and intuitive, as is the item pickup and inventory system (unlike many VR games that hide that stuff behind a bunch of clunky menus displayed in world space)."

"One of the original VR greats. If you're a big fan of fantasy adventure games: You will want this game if you have a VR headset, I guarantee."

Then again, a 144 Hz game can't be bad... Hmmmm.... ;) Note that the 3 reviews from Steam were the 3 latest reviews, one from a few days ago, I wasn't cherry-picking great reviews.
    Just had an awesome time in Vanishing Realms, even if many textures are low-res the lighting and shadows can be quite impressive. It feels like the whole world is made of magic ;) The fighting is probably the best I've tried (have I said that before? lol) - had a battle with 3 meter (10 feet) tall skeleton boss today, used my sword and shield, and it really worked. And the opponents avoid your attacks, at least sometimes. The ability to use a pickaxe to mine gems from rocks is great too - I'm probably just in the beginning still, but this game grows on you. I wonder if some people consider it better than Skyrim? At least the sword fighting is awesome, bow maybe not so much.
    Vanishing Realms was a pioneering VR game and showed the first real promise of what can be done with a VR RPG. It's definitely not on par with SkyrimVR, even Vanilla Skyrim just due to the sheer amount of content within Skyrim. Vanishing Realms does have better interactions than SKyrim but it's a game made for VR. Modded Skyrim is probably still the best VR game. You can make it as incredible as your hardware can handle. 

As mentioned, Vanishing Realms is a 1 man project so updates to it have been painstakingly slow and sparse. I'm looking forward to revisiting it as I've not played it in 2 years. 
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,427 Valuable Player
    @pyroth309 - So are you getting the Valve index on Wednesday? I hope you get time to give us a review. Mine isn't due until late August and I need to hear lots about this headset before splashing the cash.
    edited June 24
    pyroth309 said:
    As mentioned, Vanishing Realms is a 1 man project so updates to it have been painstakingly slow and sparse. I'm looking forward to revisiting it as I've not played it in 2 years. 

My thoughts also being that Vanishing Realms could be some small launch title for Index, due to the NDA and episodes 3 and 4 being released June 28. And I'm starting to think that if the gameplay is awesome that episodes 3 and 4 could be quite impressive. Even if Vanishing Realms is old, recent reviews indicate that it's currently one of the best VR RPGs, but reviewers tend not to compare with Skyrim ;)
    Compared to Skyrim, Vanishing Realms may perform perfectly in 144 Hz, could be an entirely new level of RPG immersion. 

edited June 24
    RedRizla said:
    @pyroth309 - So are you getting the Valve index on Wednesday? I hope you get time to give us a review. Mine isn't due until late August and I need to hear lots about this headset before splashing the cash.
    Still haven't gotten a shipping notification. The people that did get them, most them are showing thursday or Friday Delivery. So I'm thinking Valve sent the farthest ones first so everyone's arrive about the same time. I'm only 2 days away from their factory so we shall see. 

I'll post my thoughts and try to be unbiased but life is busy atm. Can't say when that will be. 
    Maybe I suffered some kind of brain hemorrhage, or I just love to support the devs - but today I bought some games on Steam I already bought in the Oculus Store  o:)

In case Revive doesn't revive anything - better safe than sorry.  B) And Seeking Dawn and Psychonauts really deserve a few more pennies  o:)

In case some haven't noticed - the utterly gigantic Steam Summer Sale is on:

https://store.steampowered.com/vr/

• LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,064 Valuable Player
    Such a nice guy :)
    Such a nice guy :)
    Kinda have some weird feeling like I just flushed some money down the toilet - well I'm sure the feeling will pass, it always does, lol.  

edited June 26
    Like they say, "early bird gets the Index"  B)

"Ok so here is my take on this headset.

1. Packaging is really nice, environmental friendly pretty much all paper (kudos to Valve), including cable clips and all that (similar to how apple packages things).

2. Nothing extra, little colored manuals (similar to Apple manuals) and a cleaning microfiber cloth, also colored in Index colors

3. Feels like a premium experience, nothing cheap, from the moment you put your headset on you can easily adjust it in all points and even the adjustment feels "premium" - I don't know how to describe it. It just feels like quality all over the place. Cables are using soft touch materials...like I said, nothing cheap feeling.

4. Audio is awesome, sounds similar to my Sennheiser 598SR (I'm not audiophile but I can say its great).

5. Now the visual quality stuff. SDE is there but MILES ahead of HTC Vive, you basically don't notice it unless you are really trying to. Everything is adjustable, right out of the box doesn't fit that good but once you calibrate it to for your eyes then it gets a lot better.

6. Controllers come fully charged so you can play right away. Edit: Yeah, this didn't last long, probably showed fully charged but lasted around 3 hours...will charge em now fully.

I had some issues with audio, considering the headset has just DP and USB port for PC, it didn't recognize right away the audio headset...had to tweak a bit and check the VR Steam app to manually mirror the audio to the headset. Anyway it took a bit of time but managed to make it work in the end.

Bonus1: When you first set it up take your time to set up the cables and base stations...its easier to do it the first time than later...trust me.

Bonus2: photo of this cool microfiber cloth

Bonus3: lens photo in destinations robot thingy - they are sharper in VR but my camera sucks, black levels are good

Bonus4: About knuckles - the idea is great and finger tracking is spot on IF you have the perfect palm for it, if not then you'll have to get used to it and learn how it tracks and how you should position your hand so that each finger is tracked. It's not that bad as it sounds but you notice it, probably it has more of a learning curve."

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/c5o2l5/its_finally_here_everyone_should_get_their_index/

• LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,064 Valuable Player
    I have so many games I started and then stopped, so I'll have plenty to do. Hoping the new comfort and visuals of the index will make me want to play games more often. 
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,164
    Wintermute
    I've still not had an email about my pre-order too. They gave me 31st august.
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
    I'm still waiting on a shipping email and some people are getting them already lol. Oh well. Hopefully get it by the weekend. 
    edited June 26
    I have white walls, I need some white power cables for the base stations - another major first world problem - and there're only 60 days to August 31  :#

(yes, this was intended to be a funny post ;-)

• kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,562 Valuable Player
    I suppose at some point this discussion will have to move over to the Valve Index forum!  B)
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    edited June 26
    kevinw729 said:
    I suppose at some point this discussion will have to move over to the Valve Index forum!  B)
    But I like it here - feels like Home  <3 Besides I still have the CV1 ticket allowing me to be here  o:) B)

BTW, Aperture Hand Labs just launched - requires Index or Vive, no Rifts  :'(

https://store.steampowered.com/app/868020/Aperture_Hand_Lab/

Wintermute
    edited June 26
    RuneSR2 said:
    Like they say, "early bird gets the Index"  B)

"Ok so here is my take on this headset.

1. Packaging is really nice, environmental friendly pretty much all paper (kudos to Valve), including cable clips and all that (similar to how apple packages things).

2. Nothing extra, little colored manuals (similar to Apple manuals) and a cleaning microfiber cloth, also colored in Index colors

3. Feels like a premium experience, nothing cheap, from the moment you put your headset on you can easily adjust it in all points and even the adjustment feels "premium" - I don't know how to describe it. It just feels like quality all over the place. Cables are using soft touch materials...like I said, nothing cheap feeling.

4. Audio is awesome, sounds similar to my Sennheiser 598SR (I'm not audiophile but I can say its great).

5. Now the visual quality stuff. SDE is there but MILES ahead of HTC Vive, you basically don't notice it unless you are really trying to. Everything is adjustable, right out of the box doesn't fit that good but once you calibrate it to for your eyes then it gets a lot better.

6. Controllers come fully charged so you can play right away. Edit: Yeah, this didn't last long, probably showed fully charged but lasted around 3 hours...will charge em now fully.

I had some issues with audio, considering the headset has just DP and USB port for PC, it didn't recognize right away the audio headset...had to tweak a bit and check the VR Steam app to manually mirror the audio to the headset. Anyway it took a bit of time but managed to make it work in the end.

So you've got your Index now then mate?

What is the FOV like? What about the god rays?

And is it amazing then? Better then everything else?
    edited June 26

I can't help thinking that Gabe at one point said: "I want the Index be MUCH better than the Rift regarding EVERYTHING - even down the DAMN MICROFIBER CLOTH!!!". 

:D

As always Gabe is late to the show, and nobody dared to tell him that microfiber cloths are so 2016-like and kinda old fashioned, I even heard that the new way is to avoid them completely  ;)

Wintermute
    RuneSR2 said:

I can't help thinking that Gabe at one point said: "I want the Index be MUCH better than the Rift regarding EVERYTHING - even down the DAMN MICROFIBER CLOTH!!!". 

:D

Hey mate, did you see my messages to you above?  :p