New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 5,332 Valuable Player
    A nice 30 minutes interview with Gabe Newell about Valve - it's not just about Alyx or Index, but maybe it's more natural to post it in the Index thread:

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,163 Valuable Player
    urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    Post 'o the day  B)

Dear Mr Newell

On behalf of all Australians, I just wanna say we are sorry for dropping the c-bomb all the time, we are sorry for Russell Crowe (though technically hes from New Zealand), we are sorry for whatever it is we did that makes you hate us (its been the 23rd here in Aus for 20hrs and still no HL:A just as an example of how bad he treats us Aussies) but please in these trying times could you somehow see in your infinite wisdom and boundless benevolence to offer us the chance to get on the Index purchase waiting list soon??

We were sent here from England as punishment 200 years ago. We've been punished enough. Show some compassion please, in the spirit of gamers the globe over.

Cheers cu- er... cheers mate

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/fnhqf0/dear_gabe/

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

edited March 23

- and some Alyx music For Those Who Wait  o:)

edited March 23
    My bad - the post above should have been in the Alyx thread - and this nice video of the SteamVR Alyx City17 Home that some of us have been enjoying for 2 weeks should be posted in this thread, because these homes require Index hardware:

The video does a nice job of capturing the foreboding atmosphere. Note that a blur-effect was added to the video, everything is super-sharp inside the Alyx Homes in VR. 

• WildtWildt Posts: 2,266 Valuable Player
    edited March 23
    Ooops, thought this was the Alyx thread. Deleted OT post.
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
  • kojackkojack Posts: 6,424 Volunteer Moderator
    edited March 23

Dear Mr Newell

we are sorry for whatever it is we did that makes you hate us

What we did is force Valve to obey australian consumer laws (due to lack of refunds). Our government sued Valve for $2.4million and won. Thanks to that, the world has game refunds and we don't have the Index.

• kojackkojack Posts: 6,424 Volunteer Moderator
    Interesting side note. Look at this zoom of the earlier post:

See that little single pixel dot next to the letter D? It's actually an image that's loading from a reddit server. It's called renderTimingPixel.png
    These are usually called tracking pixels.

Just thought it was interesting, I didn't realise Reddit was inserting them. :)
  • WillH5080WillH5080 Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    Thanks for the info!
  • Comrade_IvanComrade_Ivan Posts: 114
    Art3mis
    Found a way last night to spawn unlimited grenades in Half-Life Alyx:
    Some guy found that Index was a much better fit for kids than CV1 - but Index does come with an added foam pad for small heads:

Post image
    https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/ftkpzh/daughter_was_happy_the_index_fit_her_when_the/

Not sure I'd recommend Index for small kids though, lol. 

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,158 Valuable Player
    That cord over her left foot looks like an accident waiting to happen, lol!

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,387 Valuable Player
    Found a way last night to spawn unlimited grenades in Half-Life Alyx:
    Thought I would give it a try, worked for about two rooms then whenever I picked up anything from it crashed Alyx.

Fun while it lasted :smile:
    Luciferous said:
    Thought I would give it a try, worked for about two rooms then whenever I picked up anything from it crashed Alyx.

Fun while it lasted :smile:

Talk that the next update will boost carry capacity - we shall see. Oh for a backpack!
    This still feels like a 10-hour demo of a coming 30-hour game!
    urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • WildtWildt Posts: 2,266 Valuable Player
    edited April 3
    kevinw729 said:
    Talk that the next update will boost carry capacity - we shall see. Oh for a backpack!
    This still feels like a 10-hour demo of a coming 30-hour game!

PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
    edited April 3
    Wildt said:

But if you are finding it difficult to understand what I said:

- Wish we had backpack with more carry capacity

- the game lasted too short, and wish it was longer and had the same depth as Half Life 2

And we did that without the need to drop any F'bombs!

urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **
    This awesome video was made using the Index controllers  B)

• pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,675 Valuable Player
    Cool video but you should probably warn it has spoilers in it.
    pyroth309 said:
    Cool video but you should probably warn it has spoilers in it.
    Oops, but only a really tiny one close to the end of the video :blush:  Ok, maybe some Combine soldiers too - and grenades... 

Need to go back soon, have not had time to play for a couple of days. 

edited April 5
    Some Touch owners are so sad they don't have Knuckles that they try to make their own Knuckles ;)

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/fv60lj/heres_a_free_knuckles_mod_for_ya_homies_using_the/

• dburnedburne Posts: 3,537 Valuable Player
    RuneSR2 said:
    Touch owners are so sad they don't have Knuckles that they try to make their own Knuckles ;)

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/fv60lj/heres_a_free_knuckles_mod_for_ya_homies_using_the/
    Not this Touch owner.
    No sadness whatsoever.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    RuneSR2 said:
    Touch owners are so sad they don't have Knuckles that they try to make their own Knuckles ;)

Yeah, post after post after post about "Knuckle-gate" and that clicking button, and then we have to deal with this, and comments like - oh its okay HL:A works fine on my system, while we know the reality. I get it, each to their own, but we dont need to make this a "mine-is-better-than-yours" community! Those that foster the combative approach have left the industry. 
    urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **
    edited April 5
    Agreed, although I like to wear Knuckles like gloves, this isn't why I prefer them over Touch, and of course old Touch is still awesome. I really like having all my fingers and Knuckes fit better in my hands, but that may depend on the size of your hands. I'm also fond of the trackpads, although few games support them (like Alyx, Doom VFR and Garden of the Sea). 

Note that my post was not to stir another heated discussion about which controller is best, I just thought it was funny that some try to copy parts of the Knuckles design. 

Totally understand that you were not stirring anything @RuneSR2 - was not my intention to suggest you were. I was using it to reflect on what we are seeing across all the forums - this is obviously not the only one I visit. To be frank we all seem to be spending more time on other forums, as this one has been "quiet" of late - and those topics discussed are related to Oculus only indirectly. It may be that as the focus is on Quest now, most Quest-users are "doing" rather than "talking" about their hardware (a good thing I think). And those with questions about their Rift-S purchases seem to discuss more on the closed FB Oculus forums than come here, for the obvious reasons. 
    urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **
  • Comrade_IvanComrade_Ivan Posts: 114
    Art3mis
    edited April 14
    I love my Index. I really do. But I am still having a hard time recommending this headset. If anything, it's getting harder to do so...
    I TAKE IT ALL BACK!!!!

Lol, it's been 3 months since I made that Index review, and boy oh boy did a do a full 180 on my first statement.

It has quickly become my main HMD - I sold all my other headsets since getting it (I did keep just one Quest after upgrading the $#!t out of it), and have been using Index roughly 5-10 hours a week.

And all along I kept saying "Index is a great headset, just don't buy it" to anyone who listened. I just didn't think it was worth the price of admission given the alternatives.

All that changed today.

Reason? My left controller developed a drift issue.

And now that I'm facing an RMA process, the thought of being without Index, even for a day, is making my stomach turn in knots.

In the age of social distancing, Index has enabled my distance socializing. And the few times I took the same excursion with my Oculus, it just hasn't been the same.

Admittedly, I'm whining; I know just how much of a 1st world problem this is. Hell, I have a pretty effin sweet headset to substitute Index with. But this just highlights to me how wrong I was about telling everyone that this bad boy isn't worth a K (even the 1.4 K in Canadian pesos). I would gladly drop a K right now knowing what I know.

I will add that Index isn't a headset one should own as a sole HMD. Given the issues that I had so far, I think everyone should have at least one backup HMD of a cheaper kind (Quest, I'm looking in your direction).

But I can also safely say that anyone debating getting one should definitely take the plunge once supplies are restocked.
    I certainly was tempted originally but you and Runes put me off buying one.

1000 dollars is a lot money and if I pay that kind of money I do not want to make compromises. I still see the index as a compromise. Especially with the LCD screen and the FOV as I would want a large increase in both vertical and horizontal.

Even the controllers are still drifting even after the clicking issues.

I think I will sit and wait to see whats on the horizon for this and next year or until my poor old CV1 dies an Honorable death. 
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,158 Valuable Player
    edited April 15
    If these were available in Australia, I would have one for sure.  At least the controllers, lol!

Just to show you how committed I am (or reasons why I should be committed) I broke down and ordered a Quest w/Link Cable a few days ago.  It should get here in a few days.  What was I thinking, lol!  I'm going to blame the corona shutdown.  

I cannot imagine it's going to give Rift cv1 2xSS performance but at least it's oled with mechanical ipd.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

edited April 15
    I certainly was tempted originally but you and Runes put me off buying one.

1000 dollars is a lot money and if I pay that kind of money I do not want to make compromises. I still see the index as a compromise. Especially with the LCD screen and the FOV as I would want a large increase in both vertical and horizontal.

Even the controllers are still drifting even after the clicking issues.

I think I will sit and wait to see whats on the horizon for this and next year or until my poor old CV1 dies an Honorable death. 

I think Index is much like a big-brother to Rift-S, and better at everything like res, fov, tracking and sound. And Index has similar problems as Rift-S - too bright in dark games and temporal antialiasing makes everything super-blurry. 

But when Index shines - like it does in Alyx and Boneworks - then it's a fullblown Gen2 hmd and way beyond anything I've ever seen using my CV1 ss 2.0.

Also performance in Alyx is off the charts, maybe it would be too using CV1, but I've seen many users of Oculus hmds having problems with SteamVR performance lately - using native Index drivers when playing Alyx and Boneworks I've experienced none such problems. Actually I'm in awe about the performance I get from my old GTX 1080 in Alyx and Boneworks. Maybe it's a good idea separating Oculus Store and Steam. It's really working fine only using Index for SteamVR, while I only use CV1 for games supporting native Oculus drivers (which does include some Steam games - and of course you can also revive most Oculus games).   

I was thinking yesterday that now is a great time for the Index, because Valve has fixed so many things. Especially SteamVR Home now feels and looks similar to Oculus Home and Dash - and I do not really notice the columns anymore, which were the one thing bothering me the most about the Index. I can't think of a hmd I'd like more than the Index right now - but I still love having the possibility to use CV1 ss 2.0 when needed. Alyx experienced using the Index is worth more than 1k to me - maybe that sounds kinda silly, but I really mean that nonetheless. The higher res and ss image quality mean that I can see very far in Alyx, and everything simply looks real - I do not notice any SDE in Alyx or Boneworks. Even Lone Echo CV1 ss 2.0 looked dated yesterday, never thought I'd think that - but I have not used CV1 for about 2 weeks, it does take some time re-adapting to the CV1.

edited April 24
    Well that's good to hear.

I was always put off because Pyro refunded, Comrade* was never enthusiastic and you were always using both headsets.

I'll probably wait to see what plays out this year. HTC have a new one coming which looks interesting and it says no compromises (hope they include FOV in that statement).
    edited April 15
    Well that's good to hear.

I was always put off because Pyro refunded, Tom was never enthusiastic and you were always using both headsets.

I'll probably wait to see what plays out this year. HTC have a new one coming which looks interesting and it says no compromises (hope they include FOV in that statement).
    Did you mean the HP's Reverb G2? - G2 could be very interesting, but if it's using 2160x2160 res I'm not sure that's a good thing for those of us who don't have a 2080 Ti. In some games Index is way too much for my GTX 1080 - that's why I need CV1 asw 2.0 for games like Stormland. Of course you may not need any ss for 2160x2160, although I suspect you'll then suffer some jaggies even in that res... 
    In many ways the normal Gen2 res of 2880x1600 seems like the sweet spot even with a 3080 Ti if that card is like 30-40% faster than 2080 Ti - and then you can go for the 120-144 Hz whenever possible. 2c. 

PS. Could be interesting to see some benchmarks comparing different 2880x1600 hmds in SteamVR - just to see if performance is much the same, or if there are differences maybe caused by drivers. Being able to play Boneworks using Index res 200% (the equivalent of ss 2.0 for Index res) in solid 90 fps even when further adding 2xMSAA feels like some unnaturally great performance using my old and dusty GTX 1080 - interesting if you do get similar performance using non-Valve hmds. Thus are there any performance benefits of using a Valve hmd in SteamVR (at least for compatibility I'm convinced Index is Valve's main focus when performing quality assurance)... Not sure my CV1 still receives similar attention when Oculus forces new updates... It's getting harder and harder to choose an optimal hmd, lol.