New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 5,569 Valuable Player
    I'm back to 1.9.2, even Moss worked nicely this evening. If it works don't fix it, lol. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,261 Valuable Player
    Ya, I started to have lots of controller issues playing Lone Echo with 2.0 on my Vive Pro.  For now I’ve uninstalled Revive and will just continue using my Rift cv1.  TBH I’ve never had a lot of luck with Revive.  I’m not sure but some SteamVR updates seem to adversely effect it.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

edited May 24
    Just checked the Revive forum, and it does not seem that many/any had the troubles I experienced ( https://github.com/LibreVR/Revive/issues ). But it easily gets complicated, because v. 2.0 is rather old (from January 30 2020), and when I installed it yesterday both Oculus had launched a new update and SteamVR was recently updated too. And I got both CV1 and Index connected (HDMI + DisplayPort) - so many things could go wrong. 

I installed v. 2.0.0 on top of 1.9.2 - I did not first uninstall 1.9.2 - but I never did that before when upgrading Revive. 
    Did notice that my Revive Dash did not update correctly - which was strange. I guess I should have heard the alarm then...

Revive 2.0 does seem a bit different:

• The Revive Dashboard can now link with your Oculus account to improve online multiplayer support thanks to @ahmanwoods
    • The Revive Dashboard now supports scanning multiple Oculus libraries as contributed by @croger42
    • The Revive Injector has been rewritten to improve reliability using Microsoft Detours
    • Improved and simplified frame blocking behavior in Revive to improve performance
    I have multiple libraries - and quite a lot of games, maybe Revive choked on that, crashed and caused trouble with my hmds and screen configurations... 

Revive 1.9.2 only registers games on the default Oculus location (where I have like 50 games) - but it also uses Oculus SDK 1.43, which was one of my favorite SDKs before the unified Rift + Quest approach. Maybe not a bad idea to hold on to 1.9.2 for now. 
    Note that when Revive works, it does not just work - it works perfectly. Had an interesting experience in Spice and Wolf, where you can set ss to 2.0 in-game - even when using Revive. Using ss 2.0 did cause some stuttering, but setting ss 1.0 in-game and forcing res 200% using SteamVR gave me much better performance (solid 90 fps or really close). I did not check if the same res was used (FpsVR as OTT does not work for the Index), but image quality looked similarly super-sharp using either ss 2.0 or res 200% (but again human perception might be a bad measure, lol). Still it did not seem that ss 2.0 and res 200% was the same, even if it looked similar. Might explain why I often get surprisingly great performance using res 200% with the Index. Need to investigate more. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

edited May 24
    Thanks for all that Rune.  I’ll give 1.9.2 a go and see if this helps sort out the controller problem I had with 2.0.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

TomCgcmfc said:
    Thanks for all that Rune.  I’ll give 1.9.2 a go and see if this helps sort out the controller problem I had with 2.0.
    The dude behind Revive once explained that one problem was that changing some settings for one game may negatively affect other games - so finding a great balance was a challenge. Like Defector, which did get worse before it got better etc. In short the newest version may not always be best, depending on the game you're playing. I think 1.9.2 especially was optimized for Stormland. 

Well I tried 1.9.2 and it did seem to work a bit better.  However, some of my Vive controller actions like turning on/off the headlight and helmet do not seem to work in Lone Echo.  I tried going back to earlier loads to just before these got calibrated but it did not make any difference.  So, out with Revive again and onto my good old cv1, lol!  Too bad because the graphics with my Pro's oled's was stunning.

edited May 25
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Well I tried 1.9.2 and it did seem to work a bit better.  However, some of my Vive controller actions like turning on/off the headlight and helmet do not seem to work in Lone Echo.  I tried going back to earlier loads to just before these got calibrated but it did not make any difference.  So, out with Revive again and onto my good old cv1, lol!  Too bad because the graphics with my Pro's oled's was stunning.
    It can be hard to hit the imaginary helmet buttons, but if it works with CV1, you should be able to do it using Revive too, at least some have got it to work, although it's an old thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/6ok4j6/lone_echo_press_button_on_side_of_visor_stuck_no/

- they say you should look for the button here:

I have not tested that using the Index, but Index usually works extremely close to Touch. 

• Comrade_IvanComrade_Ivan Posts: 125
    Art3mis
    New Index weirdness today.

I was in the middle of a tandem Alyx experience (voice chatting with a buddy who's on his first play through, pacing the game so I'm in step with him) when my left hand dropped to the floor and stayed there. Controller would register in Steam VR as turned on, but not tracking:
    Restarting Steam VR and Steam didn't do anything, so I restarted the computer, but then Steam wouldn't load. Gah!

Restarted the computer once again, and everything was back to normal.

For an hour, lol. Then the same thing happened again. At which point I switched to my Oculus headset so I could continue playing.

I think this underlines the point that Index, although a fantastic headset, should never be the sole HMD one owns.

Off to Steam support again - looks like the replacement controller they sent me has some new issues
    edited May 25
    That is strange - but it has happened before, just found this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/co395a/left_controller_not_tracking_anymore/

If resetting the controller doesn't help, looks like you may need a replacement. 

Some dude wrote: "Alyx maximized demand, Covid-19 killed supply", I hope that Valve is able to ship parts. I've seen several posts on Reddit where Valve in March said 8 weeks of waiting time for Index kits to ship, but for many these 8 weeks haven't been reduced - thus 8 weeks may have turned into at least 16 weeks...  

Agreed that it's great/important having more than 1 hmd available. 

RuneSR2 said:
    TomCgcmfc said:
    It can be hard to hit the imaginary helmet buttons, but if it works with CV1, you should be able to do it using Revive too, at least some has got it to work, although it's an old thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/6ok4j6/lone_echo_press_button_on_side_of_visor_stuck_no/

I have not tested that using the Index, but Index usually works extremely close to Touch. 

Ya, I tried all that and I could only get the visor up/down (left side) once in a while and headlight same on the right side.  Plus I've found the yaw control (left trackpad) is now also very inconsistent.  Funny because all these seemed to work well a 2-3 weeks ago.  Lots of SteamVR and Win10 updates in the meantime though.   Anyway, my cv1 continues to play perfectly so back to it I go.  I hope I can get through Lone Echo before an Oculus update screws thing up, lol!  At least I'll still have my Quest wireless with Virtual Desktop as a backup (works surprisingly well btw).

edited May 25
    TomCgcmfc said:
    RuneSR2 said:
    TomCgcmfc said:
    It can be hard to hit the imaginary helmet buttons, but if it works with CV1, you should be able to do it using Revive too, at least some has got it to work, although it's an old thread:

Ya, I tried all that and I could only get the visor up/down (left side) once in a while and headlight same on the right side.  Plus I've found the yaw control (left trackpad) is now also very inconsistent.  Funny because all these seemed to work well a 2-3 weeks ago.  Lots of SteamVR and Win10 updates in the meantime though.   Anyway, my cv1 continues to play perfectly so back to it I go.  I hope I can get through Lone Echo before an Oculus update screws thing up, lol!  At least I'll still have my Quest wireless with Virtual Desktop as a backup (works surprisingly well btw).

Maybe I'll test it later with the Index - but I lost all my save games when moving the game from one location to another. I think the save games can still be found, I just haven't bothered because I've completed the game. Not sure if the helmet button is active from the start of the game. 
    Still CV1 is "the way it's meant to be played", I guess you're doing fine ;) Revive will be more important when we get those 3080 cards, lol. 

Ya, 3080ti and Index controllers!  Xmas wishlist for sure!

edited May 31
    Having problems finding games and apps with full finger tracking support? No more, use this Steam group to find them all  B)

https://store.steampowered.com/curator/36314999-Index-Controller-Compatibility/

edited June 2
    Just had the most awesome time in Landfall, could easily be my favorite game within the genre. 
    Felt like I could finally see, and I got solid 90 fps res 200% - I could not ask for more  <3 Fun thing, the game seemed to register that I was using a gamepad, but Knuckles still worked fine  :) This could shine even more with the Reverb. It's a bright game, perfect for lcd.

Probably 15 hours down the drain, but sometimes I feel like a member of Jehovah's Witnesses - I need to inform my fellow countrymen that there's light in the darkness of ordinary life!  o:)  :D 

http://www.hardwaretidende.dk/hard/artikel/20/06/03/0739360

Posted some trailers of my favorite Index games at the very end of the article, but nothing new to the readers of this thread. 

edited June 6

Normally I never buy VR games that require a gamepad, but I found Cars 2 in the bargain bin even with 5 installation dvds for 4 bucks, and how could I resist paying less than one buck per 10GB, lol. 

Read that some dude could not even get solid 90 fps using 1080 Ti and lowest settings, but I just tried the game and I got solid 90 fps using default settings with the Index. Res 200% wasn't running well at all, but seems like SteamVR res 125% works with a few extremely rare dips below 90 fps. Graphics and shadows really look great. 

But those controls  :# Seems like I have to turn off Knuckles to get the game to accept my Steam controller - and it seems the devs officially only support XBox One controllers (which the Steam controller seems to automatically emulate), not even Xbox 360 controllers are supported. This is exactly why I greatly dislike having to switch between Knuckles/Touch and a gamepad - I get gray hairs much too soon and my blood pressure explodes  :D I've already spent 20 minutes on the damn controls, and while it seems to be working ok now, I'm still not finished getting all buttons right. 

This game does not need a lot of controls - it would be so easy using Knuckles - I do not understand why the devs do not spend a couple of hours getting VR controllers to work just as a gamepad.  

Reset view button isn't enabled by default, seems like the devs are some kind of VR amateurs (but I bet they really aren't). 

Btw I think this video shows the very last thing I'd like to spend my valuable time on this evening  :D 

edited June 15
    "Made for Index and released today! Extreme resolution and photorealism, free demo" - yup, I'm defenseless against such pick up lines :blush:  

But 22GB for a non-game where I can't shoot stuff or drive or fly or kill someone with a sword :#

Then again...  >:)  

"Hey kids, this summer we'll travel all over the world and it's dirt cheap and there's no Covid-19!!!"  o:):D

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1264180/Blueplanet_VR/

- Another happy customer - who likes the controllers like I do, but I probably still like Touch more than this dude ;)

From Index to Rift CV1.. holy moly

TL:DR: If you are on the fence about upgrading or jumping straight to an Index, it's totally worth it if you plan on playing VR regularly and you can still afford to stay alive after buying it.

After 200+ hours with nothing but my Index since early March, I played Beat Saber on an original Oculus Rift cv1 tonight and found a whole new level of appreciation for my Index.

What was most surprising to me was how I wasn't thrown off by the reduced resolution or inferior refresh rate (down to 90hz from 144hz). (Sure it wasn't as fluid/smooth and I definitely noticed the screen door effect that I remember from when I had my own Rift back when it officially launched back in 2016) but something else jarred me big time. The controllers.

Going from the Index's "whole-hand" controllers to the puny Rift Touch controllers threw me off entirely. The Touch controllers seemed like kids Playschool toys by comparison. They literally didn't even fill my entire closed fists and my hands probably aren't even average size for a 34 year old male.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/h95lxr/from_index_to_rift_cv1_holy_moly/

RuneSR2 said:
    "Made for Index and released today! Extreme resolution and photorealism, free demo" - yup, I'm defenseless against such pick up lines :blush:  

But 22GB for a non-game where I can't shoot stuff or drive or fly or kill someone with a sword :#

Then again...  >:)  

"Hey kids, this summer we'll travel all over the world and it's dirt cheap and there's no Covid-19!!!"  o:):D

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1264180/Blueplanet_VR/

The devs weren't kidding, this app truly is awesome. Maybe they could call it Vacation Simulator for adults ;) 
    The res is very high - and furthermore I get solid 90 fps with Index res 200%. Landscapes aren't flat photos, but are made with textured polygons. 
    You can go places you probably can't in the real world, because you're walking so close to edges and you would not survive a fall. I don't think any guide would be allowed to take turists to such places. But you are safe in VR.
    You can only teleport. Graphics are similar to The Lab, when you visit for example the cave in Iceland. 
    Of course it's not the same as being at these locations in the real world, but it'll probably be close enough for many. Using Index res 200% I felt like I could see several miles away, the view distance was awesome. This app shines using high-res hmds, I'm sure Reverb may be the winner, but the big fov is great with the Index. 
    For the elderly, or persons having difficulties visiting these places in the real world, Blueplanet VR is an awesome option to get out while staying at home :) 9/10 in my book - for now.

edited June 19
    Hmmm....  B)

Introducing Room View 3D
    SteamVR 1.13 introduces a new experimental feature for Valve Index users, "Room View 3D".

Room View 3D uses computer vision techniques developed by Valve, Arcturus Industries, and Occipital to present a more accurate representation of your environment.

To enable this functionality, select Room View: "3D" from Settings -> Camera.

This functionality is rapidly evolving, so we want to hear your thoughts and feedback.

Expect to see more experiments over the coming months.

If you are interested in contributing to virtual reality and computer vision on Steam, Valve and Arcturus are hiring!

https://steamcommunity.com/games/250820/announcements/detail/2471861771402099478

Art3mis
    @RuneSR2 - were you able to update it to V1.13? Mine seems to be stuck on 1.12.5
    @RuneSR2 - were you able to update it to V1.13? Mine seems to be stuck on 1.12.5
    I haven't tried yet, just saw that v 1.13 was in the news, could it be the beta?

Art3mis
    I'll check and report.
    For the time being I have to deal with dust that's slowly been accumulating on the left display panel inside my Index. I first noticed one a few weeks ago, but as of this morning three new specks showed up (one of which big enough to be a nuisance). Something's up with the seal, so I'm making yet another ticket.
    Kudos to Valve's support though. They've been really forthcoming in fixing all issues I had so far. Just hoping they engineer their way out of these issues in future iterations of Index
    Art3mis
    edited June 19
    I shot this video specifically for this thread.
    TLDW: Oculus vs Valve Index debate should be approached on a game-by-game basis. E.G. today, Index just got its ass handed to it by Quest in Obduction:

• LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,424 Valuable Player
    edited June 19
    Is it more like you are playing it on an OLED HMD?  It looks beautiful on my CV1 as does no mans sky. They have similar colourings.

Not sure it would look as good on the Rift S. May look good on the Vive Pro as well.

i never finished that game, have to go back to it at some point. The holograms and video actors were a great touch.

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,428 Valuable Player
    edited June 20
    RuneSR2 said:
    The mods told me that they as a rule of thumb do not want posts about games which do not fully and officially support the Index. It seems they don't care for Revive - and I sense some profound animosity toward Oculus. 

In other news,

It's awesome to see Landfall and Obduction getting some love during Pandemic 2020. Both are great experiences. Obduction is masterful for a puzzler, and Landfall had one of my favorite RTS final battles of all time. 
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    Art3mis
    Is it more like you are playing it on an OLED HMD?  It looks beautiful on my CV1 as does no mans sky. They have similar colourings.

Not sure it would look as good on the Rift S. 

Maybe not, but my biggest wow moment was experiencing the performance boost this game got from being played on Oculus. Vibrance of colors was just an added bonus.

I think I'm gonna spend the whole day in Obduction tomorrow. Lone Echo and Half Life Alyx are the only other games that ever got me wanting to spend a full day in VR.

Thank god for Deluxe Audio Strap - there's no way in hell I could ever do that with Quest's stock strap.
    edited June 20
    I shot this video specifically for this thread.
    TLDW: Oculus vs Valve Index debate should be approached on a game-by-game basis. E.G. today, Index just got its ass handed to it by Quest in Obduction:

You need ASW 2.0 for Obduction - it's one of the most gpu demanding VR games you can find - I'm just happy for ASW 2.0 instead of ASW 1.0, because now we get way less artifacts  B) You probably need a 3080 Ti for that game with the Index ;)

• OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 805
    3Jane
    edited June 20
    ^^Plus won't that game running on the tethered Quest have everything compressed, so unlike the the Index which will show the full native image and bit rate and no compression thanks to being a dedicated PCVR HMD,  the tethered Quest version will have lower compressed visuals and bit rates and downgrading the games native res, hence making it less of a strain on the system and why it would seem to run better on the Quest than it would on the index?
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,428 Valuable Player
    edited June 28

So the Valve Index turns 1 years old today! It was June 28 last year that it was born. Good news for PCVR. Keep that momentum going!

Happy Birthday, Index, you bulky controller mofo  <3

A good article for tips and tricks:
    https://skarredghost.com/2020/06/28/valve-index-ergonomics-tweaks/
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane