The Index thread (please keep to subject) - Page 6 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Comments

• dburnedburne Posts: 2,517 Valuable Player
    This is looking more and more interesting.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 2,836 Valuable Player
    RuneSR2 said:

I can't help thinking that Gabe at one point said: "I want the Index be MUCH better than the Rift regarding EVERYTHING - even down the DAMN MICROFIBER CLOTH!!!". 

:D

Hey mate, did you see my messages to you above?  :p
    No, it's not mine - it's from the first user on Reddit (Valve Index) who has just received his Index. Mine should arrive August 31. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,160
    Wintermute
    RuneSR2 said:
    No, it's not mine - it's from the first user on Reddit (Valve Index) who has just received his Index. Mine should arrive August 31. 

Oh I see, I thought you got yours.

Oh well it's a shame he didn't talk more about the quality of what he sees and also the FOV.

I got 31st same as you. Have you received the email yet to pay for it?
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,546 Valuable Player
    dburne said:
    This is looking more and more interesting.

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,244 Volunteer Moderator
    And this isn't click bait ^^^^^? Correct me if I'm wrong ?
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

edited June 26
    RuneSR2 said:

Oh well it's a shame he didn't talk more about the quality of what he sees and also the FOV.

Nope, everything is free for now. No bills. I don't think we get to pay until Valve is ready to ship. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

Techy111 said:
    And this isn't click bait ^^^^^? Correct me if I'm wrong ?
    I found it funny - as did others, sorry if you think this was "bait" - I'm so use to being baited, pretending to be humor on this forum, I sometimes find it hard to tell the difference @Techy111.

But if  you dont see the humor - then unlike others I will not place anymore jokes. Can you see the rest follow the same path?

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,901 Valuable Player
    RuneSR2 said:
    RuneSR2 said:

Nope, everything is free for now. No bills. I don't think we get to pay until Valve is ready to ship. 

Dear Oculus, after reading on your official forums that everything is free now I want a full refund on my Rift S. I paid 400 quid for the bloody thing. If I don't get either a full refund or 400 quid's worth of Store Credit then fuck you, I'm getting a free Valve Index, a free HP Reverb AND a free HTC Cosmos. Bastards. :angry:
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    Joke aside - if there was a subscription plan where you got an upgraded headset every say 12/18-months with service and shipping included - I wonder if the VR community would sign up for that? Would be a great way to build a following, along the lines that is needed to achieve Oculus' business plans? Similar to a car leasing deal. 
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,244 Volunteer Moderator
    @kevinw729 you cannot call the kettle black and do the same thing. I see a lot of humour here daily, if you see that as humour then so shall I and so shall others. Sorted.
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

I'm not going to stop posting funny posts. That's about as likely to happen as me not fucking swearing. :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Well now that is sorted you both can pull your fingers from your asses and we can get back on topic  B)
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    How did you know what I was doing?!!?!?. I'm going to turn my bloody laptop camera off now!!!

• LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,063 Valuable Player
    edited June 26
    ...... already answered
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,663 Valuable Player
    edited June 26
    Just gunna refer to the Out of Snowdog Awareness Rulebook (available on Amazon for £23.99) - https://www.amazon.co.uk/out/of/snowdog/awareness/rulebook/1667889

Out of Snowdog Awareness rulebook entry #1546. Don't ever buy a used laptop, wireless or wired mouse/keyboard, controller or anything that requires fingers to operate from him.

:/ 

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,663 Valuable Player
    edited June 27

Valve Index Impressions from a 4 Headset Owner - submitted 10 hours ago * by IRobertus

Index arrived today and I have been using it for a few hours now.

My daily VR headset is a Vive Pro Wireless (with Lens mod) and I have own/owned the OG Vive, Rift, Odyssey + and PSVR. I tried the Rift S and Quest but due to my large head and IPD (72mm) both new Oculus products were quickly returned.

Initially I had some very frustrating issues with the controller set up but the issue is a Steam VR problem and luckily the nice people here were able to help. I am not going to touch on the controllers much here but they are incredible and I am so happy they will work with any Steam VR headset.

I see a lot of people asking for initial impressions so here goes.

Physical Headset

Valve Index wins this pretty easily. Never would I thought I would use the words comfortable and VR headset in the same sentence. The headset feels light and is very easy to take on an off.

Screen Door Effect

Another easy win for the Valve Index. The display has almost no SDE and the pixel fill gives it an edge over the Vive Pro SDE.

God Rays/Reflections

Good, barely noticeable. Impressive for a Fresnel Lens. You will still see some on white text on black backgrounds but not enough for it to be distracting like the Rift is.

Refresh Rate

I tested 144hz and 120hz and I definitely noticed an improvement in some titles. In Beatsaber everything is silky smooth and the large moving obstacle blocks just look/move better. I actually noticed the biggest improvement though in BioShock through Vorpx. That game always seemed a little juddery before but at 120hz the experience just felt so much smoother. I primarily game on a 144hz monitor so I am very sensitive to refresh rates. I would not be surprised if most people cant tell much of a difference.

Colors & Black Levels

I was initially very disappointed with the colors and black levels. The color reproduction appears good but very muted compared to the Vive Pro (which is stunning) and the blacks were a huge disappointment. I knew what to expect with an LCD panel but I really had hoped for something better. The Steam home looks really poor but with further testing inside of most games the colors looked just fine. I actually prefer the way it looks in Skyrim but Beat Saber looks horrible to me as its almost all black and the colored blocks no longer pop.

FOV

I never knew realized how nice it would be to see slightly more screen above and below my normal field of view. This was actually a huge immersion improvement for me and I found it really helped with heavy atmosphere games like Subnautica and Bioshock. The Vive Pro FOV is about the same width wise but the Index lets you see so much more above and below you.

Audio

Good for open environment games like Skyrim or Bioshock but was not satisfied with Beatsaber. I like the audio and its much better than the Rift S but for me personally I would prefer good headphones. I need to see if I can get the receivers slightly closer to my ears which might help.

IPD

IPD range only goes up to 70mm and my IPD is 72mm. After an hour or so of testing I started getting a little eye fatigue/swim. It was not that bad and I will need more testing but I hope it does not become an issue.

Currently I am having a hard time trying to justify my purchase as I already own a Vive Pro Wireless. I play Beatsaber more than any other VR title and the experience is much better on my Vive Pro.

As it stands I would recommend the Index to anyone who is looking to get in to roomscale VR or upgrade from an OG Rift or Vive. For people just wanting seated VR I would recommend the Samsung Odyssey + and for those with money to burn the Vive Pro Wireless with Gear Lenses is the hands down best overall experience.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.

Valve Index Impressions from a 4 Headset Owner - submitted 10 hours ago * by IRobertus

Colors & Black Levels

I was initially very disappointed with the colors and black levels. The color reproduction appears good but very muted compared to the Vive Pro (which is stunning) and the blacks were a huge disappointment. I knew what to expect with an LCD panel but I really had hoped for something better. The Steam home looks really poor but with further testing inside of most games the colors looked just fine. I actually prefer the way it looks in Skyrim but Beat Saber looks horrible to me as its almost all black and the colored blocks no longer pop.

Beat Saber is really awesome on the CV1 ss 2.0 - seems to me that the above review supports the idea of having an OLED HMD available for the very dark games, like the CV1 or O+. 
    Also I refunded Job Simulator (SteamVR version), performance didn't seem perfect to me, ss 1.4 or 2.0 gave similar performance, so I guess it must have been 90 fps - it just didn't feel perfect. Vacation Simulator is totally smooth (Oculus Store version), so if there should be some very minor performance differences (or tracking implementation, whatever), I'm still not convinced that I won't need a Rift for back-up... Maybe using Index without activating several layers of (Oculus) drivers and software will provide better SteamVR experiences than using Rift in SteamVR, but no-one seems to be investigating such details... 

• pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,568 Valuable Player

Colors & Black Levels

Audio

Good for open environment games like Skyrim or Bioshock but was not satisfied with Beatsaber. I like the audio and its much better than the Rift S but for me personally I would prefer good headphones. I need to see if I can get the receivers slightly closer to my ears which might help.

I was afraid of that with the colors. I still question why Oculus and Valve decided to use LCD's, especially on a high end headset like the Index. 

That's surprising on the Audio. I'll see if I agree tomorrow as Beat Saber is probably the first game I jump into to test the tracking. 
    Also this was a good read from Ben Lang. 
    Using the latest stable release of Revive, I tried out a handful of Oculus exclusive content with Valve’s Index headset and controllers, and was surprised to find what felt like a nearly native experience.

https://www.roadtovr.com/valve-index-revive-oculus-rift-exclusive-games-content/?platform=hootsuite

• logotomielogotomie Posts: 79
    Hiro Protagonist

Screen Door Effect

Another easy win for the Valve Index. The display has almost no SDE and the pixel fill gives it an edge over the Vive Pro SDE.

reads like the first reviews of DK2. Or CV1. Sometimes i wonder if all reviewers have bad eyes. Even the Reverb has visible screendoor (i would say "almost none" though ;-) ).
    pyroth309 said:
    I was afraid of that with the colors. I still question why Oculus and Valve decided to use LCD's, especially on a high end headset like the Index.
    maybe because you get 50% more resolution at no aditional rendering cost?
    logotomie said:
    reads like the first reviews of DK2. Or CV1. Sometimes i wonder if all reviewers have bad eyes. Even the Reverb has visible screendoor (i would say "almost none" though ;-) ).
    Yeah, the hyperbole train is defiantly travelling to all places Index at the moment - and I think it will be difficult to get a definitive position on how good it is. CV1 owners will be best placed to give a hands-on report as they are using the best system at the moment (next to the Quests own optics).

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
  • logotomielogotomie Posts: 79
    Hiro Protagonist
    kevinw729 said:
    Yeah, the hyperbole train is defiantly travelling to all places Index at the moment - and I think it will be difficult to get a definitive position on how good it is. CV1 owners will be best placed to give a hands-on report as they are using the best system at the moment (next to the Quests own optics).

I am pretty sure its way better then the CV1. Hopefully i can try the index in August myself.
    edited June 27
    I've been using the CV1 all week and I plan to jump into the Index straight from it tomorrow. I'll give my initial opinion on that Tomorrow or Saturday. 

I actually prefer the O+ overall to CV1 but it has some big drawbacks. SDE bothers me more than most and that is the only reason I prefer O+. For the average person though I think CV1 is better overall and I've said that before.

Now I'm curious to see where Index falls. Going from the vibrant colors of OLED to LCD is probably going to be a shock at first as I have Rift, O+ and Quest and Psvr... All of which are OLED. 
    edited June 27
    pyroth309 said:
    I've been using the CV1 all week and I plan to jump into the Index straight from it tomorrow. I'll give my initial opinion on that Tomorrow or Saturday. 

I actually prefer the O+ overall to CV1 but it has some big drawbacks. SDE bothers me more than most and that is the only reason I prefer O+. For the average person though I think CV1 is better overall and I've said that before.

Now I'm curious to see where Index falls. Going from the vibrant colors of OLED to LCD is probably going to be a shock at first as I have Rift, O+ and Quest and Psvr... All of which are OLED. 
    Looking forward to your review and the SDE is also my biggest CV1 problem. Strange with so many box shots on Reddit Index and almost no reviews. One German dude bricked his Index when a firmware update didn't work - be careful!  :)

With the regards to SDE it might be worth remembering that anyone coming from a Vive to the Index will be more glowing with praise than someone coming from the Rift to the Index. The SDE on the Vive is GODAWFUL so they'll be more enthusiastic about it.

From Oculus to Valve but the dude writing below didn't say which Oculus HMD he used before... 

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/c66uqu/5_second_review_of_night_one_with_index_from_a/