New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Vive Pro Eye with Eye Tracking and Foveated Rendering Out Now In The US For $1,599

RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,689 Valuable Player
edited June 10 in General
Finally eye tracking and foveated rendering have arrived - but it's not cheap - 60% more expensive than the Index:

https://uploadvr.com/vive-pro-eye-released/

https://www.vive.com/eu/product/vive-pro-eye/

So either $1600 or  € 1708 ;)

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,689 Valuable Player
    edited June 10
    So this is the first true Gen 2.0?  ;)  :D Could probably work with Knuckles - just add $300 = $ 1900 in total  B) (HTC is marketing the HMD as an enterprise solution, for now it's probably too expensive for HTC to consider gaming perspectives) 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• TadinTadin Posts: 304
    Trinity
    edited June 10
    Surely with this resolution, Foveated rendering will only help users with lower end GFX cards ? If you can afford a 1.5k headset, you'd likely have a decent GFX card which could power the whole screen at full res anyway....

No need to track your eyes and only render at full res where you are looking if your GFX card is powerful enough to render the whole screen at full res.

I'd have thought foveated rendering was only worth while on much higher res screens, or on budget headsets for budget GFX card.
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,488 Volunteer Moderator
    How much ? For that price I'll wait for 3rd gen thanks.
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Just wondering if Vive Pro is $1200 and Vive Pro Eye is $1600 that the cost of eye tracking currently is about $400 - which could support the idea that this tech is too expensive for $500 HMDs... Even a "Rift-S Eye" for $800 probably wouldn't make a lot of sense... 

And "Rift-S + 2080 Ti = Vive Pro Eye" when it comes to costs isn't a great equation for most gamers, lol.

Vive Pro Eye may tech-wise be an important first step just to show that eye tracking and foveated rendering can be done. 

• pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,568 Valuable Player
    (HTC is marketing the HMD as an enterprise solution, for now it's probably too expensive for HTC to consider gaming perspectives) 

I actually wonder if that's because the latency of the eye tracking and rendering is too high for gaming/rapid actions. 

So what will they use it for ? As the Reverb was advertised, for medical industrial and the like ??
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,705 Valuable Player
    edited June 10
    I have been lucky enough to scrap enough money together to purchase a Geforce 2080ti, but PC VR is never going to become mass market until Nvidia and the other greedy gits start to make it more affordable.
    VR will eventually become popular but only when it's cheap enough and can replace even just a 1080p monitor. Rift S is cheap, but for a lot of people it doesn't replace their monitor.
    I can imagine VR becoming popular when I'm a lot older and my old bones won't be able to play your Beat Saber or Creed. Anyways, I'm just happy I've been able to get hold of a Geforce 2080ti & HP Reverb to experience better resolutions.
    RedRizla said:
    I have been lucky enough to scrap enough money together to purchase a Geforce 2080ti, but PC VR is never going to become mass market until Nvidia and the other greedy gits start to make it more affordable.
    VR will eventually become popular but only when it's cheap enough and can replace even just a 1080p monitor. Rift S is cheap, but for a lot of people it doesn't replace their monitor.
    I can imagine VR becoming popular when I'm a lot older and my old bones won't be able to play your Beat Saber or Creed. Anyways, I'm just happy I've been able to get hold of a Geforce 2080ti & HP Reverb to experience better resolutions.
    Yea I almost bought a 2080TI yesterday. I had it in the cart, I've been kicking it around for months lol. What stopped me is I saw Ryzen 3k chips drop next month and I'd like to upgrade my CPU as well. So now I'm back to waiting to see what this 2080 super with the overclocked GDDR 6 Ram can do. I may grab one of those as a hold me over and go for the next tier 2180TI or w/e it ends up being. 
    Buy it buy it nowwww  >:)

I looked at it this way, I will upgrade my cpu (6700k) in the near future but found it runs with 2080ti in VR beautifully so I couldn't wait. I'm glad I did, bloody awesome card (msi tri frozr) but was pricey ;)

Techy111 said:
    Buy it buy it nowwww  >:)
    That's what the Voice in my head has been screaming since September lol. I can afford it, but that performance per dollar....especially when we have no ray tracing in VR yet is just ughhh. I hope this 2080 Super can get within like 10-15% of a 2080TI...orrr drop the prices.

Right now I'm waiting on the Ryzen Chip and if the Super specs aren't out by then I may grab one. I have an I5 6600k and only 16 gigs of ram. I've read the 2080TI prefers 32 gigs and my old CPU would bottleneck it. I have to O/C the crap out of it not to bottleneck my 1080 in some games lol. 
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,705 Valuable Player
    pyroth309 said:
    RedRizla said:
    Yea I almost bought a 2080TI yesterday. I had it in the cart, I've been kicking it around for months lol. What stopped me is I saw Ryzen 3k chips drop next month and I'd like to upgrade my CPU as well. So now I'm back to waiting to see what this 2080 super with the overclocked GDDR 6 Ram can do. I may grab one of those as a hold me over and go for the next tier 2180TI or w/e it ends up being. 

I was going to wait to but the Geforce 2080ti is going to last me years for 4K gaming and even for VR. We all know eventually that eye tracking will be cheap and a Geforce 2080ti will be able to cope with 4k screens in VR once that happens. So that's why I just decided to go for one now.
    I also got quite a good deal with this.

Yea I actually had a Gigabyte Aorus Waterblock in the cart for $1300. I was going to make an Aorus build as I had the Aorus ultra motherboard in the cart with an I7 9700k and it would have looked awesome. But now I'm on hold again. 

You do make an interesting point about Foveated Rendering. I kind of want to see it go into action first.