Great fit if you're bald or shaved head — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Great fit if you're bald or shaved head

VRBabe14VRBabe14 Posts: 111
Art3mis
I have medium length hair and it's riding up at the back even with the side straps and top strap are setup properly. I pull down at the back to where it supposed to fit but because its front heavy its so annoying. I've bought studioform premium strap and it does help abit but still heavy at the front. They suggested to get 4 aa batteries and counterweight but it's not working. I've also ordered vr cover foam replacement, see if that helps if not then my quest is going back. Anyone else have this problem?
Oculus Quest Status:
RECEIVED Tues, May 21 2019 12:01 PM GMT

Oculus Rift & Touch Bundle Status:
RECEIVED Thurs, Sept 07 2017 2:38 PM GMT

Oculus Rift DK2

Comments

• SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,072
    Wintermute
    Have you tried wearing a wig? lol
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
  • VRBabe14VRBabe14 Posts: 111
    Art3mis
    Have you tried wearing a wig? lol
    Do you mean a bald cap? Lol I can see so many people wearing them haha. But seriously no and isn't oculus discriminating against people with hair.
    Oculus Quest Status:

Oculus Rift DK2
  • StayPuft83StayPuft83 Posts: 37
    Brain Burst
    I can't say I've had the same problem. ...Of course, I happen to shave my head completely bald. LOL! So... I dunno... maybe that's why I don't have this problem.
  • Aidens12Aidens12 Posts: 110
    Art3mis
    have you tried positioning the studioform strap near the front of the headset by the top of the facial interface foam so that it rests more on your forehead? i just got that strap yesterday and fiddled with the positioning awhile til i settled on that to help with the front heaviness
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,548 Valuable Player
    Get a hair cut ya hippie!  o:)
    WAAAGH!
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,755 Valuable Player

I notice that the Quest and CV1 head strap differ on one respect, the inside of the CV1 strap has an additional layer that feels like Alcantara, whereas the Quest doesn't and is very smooth. I'm thinking this is adding to the issue of slipping for some people.

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.175)
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,095 Valuable Player
    VR Cover should help you. I couldn't stand to wear the Rift CV1 until VR cover came to the rescue.
    Art3mis
    Morgrum said:
    😂 From the Simpson. But seriously I cannot shave my hair off and I wouldn't just to play on the quest. Female baldness isn't a good look.

Oculus Quest Status:

Oculus Rift DK2
    Art3mis
    Aidens12 said:
    have you tried positioning the studioform strap near the front of the headset by the top of the facial interface foam so that it rests more on your forehead? i just got that strap yesterday and fiddled with the positioning awhile til i settled on that to help with the front heaviness
    Won't that cover the onboard headphone slots? I'll give it a go and thx x
    Oculus Quest Status:

Oculus Rift DK2
  • w_benjaminw_benjamin Posts: 176
    Art3mis
    Try adding some ballast to the back of the headset to help balance it better.
    I bought an extra battery for longer play time and zip tied it to the back and it helped a lot.
    Art3mis
    @w_benjamin I tried that and it strained my neck. It's a terrible design and if they had used a premium strap like vive or even used the same design as the rift s. I'm not the only one that's complaining about the comfort and fitting and how front heavy the quest is.
    Oculus Quest Status:

Oculus Rift DK2
    Art3mis
    It's no different than wearing a motorcycle helmet while riding on a windy day.
    If you continue to use it like that, in time you'll build up the muscles in your neck(slightly) and it won't get sore anymore.
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,548 Valuable Player
    VRBabe14 said:
    Morgrum said:
    😂 From the Simpson. But seriously I cannot shave my hair off and I wouldn't just to play on the quest. Female baldness isn't a good look.

I have seen women in Sci Fi shows and movies who would argue against that statement!

WAAAGH!
  • FailrunnerFailrunner Posts: 186
    Art3mis
    See this is why I can't wait for male baldness to kick in. ☹️
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,489 Volunteer Moderator
    No need to wait, baldness is a shave away.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,095 Valuable Player
    Just do a Donald Trump comb over and you should be good to go. Your hair won't be riding up then, it will just be in it's natural position for that type of hair style.
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,245 Volunteer Moderator
    Try adding some ballast to the back of the headset to help balance it better.
    I bought an extra battery for longer play time and zip tied it to the back and it helped a lot.
    I might try that. I find the quest quite uncomfortable after even a short time due to the front heavy nature of it.
  • FailrunnerFailrunner Posts: 186
    Art3mis
    nalex66 said:
    No need to wait, baldness is a shave away.
    I used to shave my head but It looked like a giant squash. Lol. 
  • Aidens12Aidens12 Posts: 110
    Art3mis
    edited June 12
    VRBabe14 said:
    Aidens12 said:
    Won't that cover the onboard headphone slots? I'll give it a go and thx x
    i didnt notice any audio loss when i did it so it should be fine. just as long as you dont pull the sides of the studioform strap past the edges of the sides of the facial interface. that would cover them up but even if you do that accidentally the audio loss isnt too bad.
    Art3mis
    edited June 13
    Morgrum said:
    VRBabe14 said:
    Morgrum said:

I have seen women in Sci Fi shows and movies who would argue against that statement!

Let me rephrase that. "Baldness isn't a good look on me" is that better?

Oculus Quest Status:

Oculus Rift DK2
    Art3mis
    @w_benjamin - I have the Anker  updated powercore speed 20000 power bank but its 367g lol too heavy for the back strap?
    Oculus Quest Status:

Oculus Rift DK2
    Art3mis
    You'll need to experiment maybe with different weights to get something that works for you.
    Or, you could mount a chin strap that ties to each side of the back of the Quest.
    It would come down behind one ear, around the chin, and back up behind the other ear.
    You could even use hooks on the ends to attach it to the Quest strap, so it isn't permanent.
    Oooor, you could make a loop and velcro it back on to itself, and have the double rings like a motorcycle helmet to put it on and take it off and adjust it.

(hmmm, time to go look into a new product to sell!)
    Art3mis
    ok, I had some parts from a project I had.
    https://www.amazon.com/Tayeel-Plastic-Tri-Glide-Backpack-Repairing/dp/B07HYSVDW5/ref=pd_rhf_dp_s_pop_srecs_sabr_0_42?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07HYSVDW5&pd_rd_r=e58caff3-4dd5-4aab-ba24-e78549cd6f11&pd_rd_w=CoNjd&pd_rd_wg=aUzZ6&pf_rd_p=b2f690dc-2d59-47f6-8525-ac277f41ffca&pf_rd_r=NZXPC5Z1GHG5C5CT1QVZ&psc=1&refRID=NZXPC5Z1GHG5C5CT1QVZ

I used 5 feet of strap (you could get away with 4, but I wanted to be safe)
    (Take a match or a lighter and melt the ends so they don't fray)
    Loop it through  the side with the single clip (on the right in the picture).
    The strap should be doubled up (it's easier then gluing or sewing to do it this way.)
    Now put the locking clip through both straps (the clip on the left in the picture), then pass both straps through the other side of the clip and pass them back through the locking clip.
    To put it on the Quest, just pass it through the back hole so one side drapes down the inside and one side drapes down the outside.
    It will center itself on the Quest strap.
    When you put on your Quest, brings the straps around under your chin and snap them together.
    Use the adjustment and locking clip to get it tight.

Wearing it is not bad..., (it's like wearing a collared shirt with a tie), and it definitely keeps the headset from slipping down.
    Art3mis
    @w_benjamin Do you have photos of your finished project please?
    Oculus Quest Status:

Oculus Rift DK2
    Art3mis
    It'll take me a bit to dig up a camera (I've got a couple buried in my PC parts boxes), as I don't own a cell phone. (I may be the only person left in the tech industry who doesn't)

Art3mis
    The first two are the clips with the strap put on them.
    The next is how it hangs on the back.
    The 4th is it clipped on under the chin.
    The 5th is a picture of the strap going through the Quest's strap in the back.
    The last is a side image of the strap as it comes down behind the ear.

https://ibb.co/0yqvZNK
    Art3mis
    @w_benjamin That's awesome well done x you should sell the strap counterweight kit.
    Oculus Quest Status:

Oculus Rift DK2
  • LameDuckWarriorLameDuckWarrior Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    Us baldies are taking over :)
  • SpuzzumSpuzzum Posts: 195
    Art3mis
    edited June 14
    I modified my Quest with the Vive Deluxe Audio Strap...so much more comfortable, and built-in speakers. I originally had it on my Go, but swapped it to my Quest. There's even a 3D printer file for an adapter and properly sized buckle for the top strap at thingiverse. I used velcro and black tape, and a buckle from a local outdoors shop, but I might be ordering the adapters instead. And depending on your head size, VRCover sells replacement padding for the DAS...10mm (regular thickness) and 20mm for people with smaller heads. Like me. :P

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3686289

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOpays2Xo

https://vrcover.com/product/htc-vive-deluxe-audio-strap-foam-replacement/
  • donnyjoedonnyjoe Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    I shouldn't have gotten the Rift S because it made me realize just how uncomfortable the Quest really is 😣