VR Cover — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

VR Cover

DeadaceDeadace Posts: 82
Hiro Protagonist
edited June 11 in Oculus Quest
When I bought the Quest, I immidiately wanted to show it off to people. But the faceplate is horrible for sharing, in that it sucks up sweat.
So I looked at PU-leather VRcover, and there was a long wait back then, it wasn't shipping until end of june, so I thought I'd just wait. Now they're not shipping until end of august! Does Anyone know of alternatives, like ANY alternatives.. or do you just have to order it now and wait 3 months?! Damn I wish I ordered it earlier! :/

Comments

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,489 Volunteer Moderator
    I ordered mine on May 14th (I believe that's the day it became available), and I'm still waiting. It left Thailand on May 29th, arrived in Germany on June 7th, and still has to make its way to Canada.

Eventually they should have them available through Amazon, but for now the only option is the slow boat from Thailand, and there are no other alternatives on the market.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,095 Valuable Player
    edited June 11
    @nalex66 - What are they using a rowing boat? Joking aside, it's about time Oculus did a deal with VR Cover because they make fantastic covers.
    I read that Oculus used pu leather facial interfaces on the Quests that were used for demos at GDC and F8. If they made their own and sold them as a premium upgrade, people would certainly buy them.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
    edited June 11
    nalex66 said:
    I read that Oculus used pu leather facial interfaces on the Quests that were used for demos at GDC and F8. If they made their own and sold them as a premium upgrade, people would certainly buy them.
    Anything besides the pu from VR Cover sucks. Not only does the Oculus material fill with sweat, but it's also uncomfortable. Much better to have something you can wipe each time, but I'm not sure why Oculus designers can't get that into their heads.
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 5,866 Volunteer Moderator
    One word mate.......cost
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• atkinsonlineatkinsonline Posts: 66
    Hiro Protagonist
    There was a card through my door today which was an attempted delivery of my vr cover. I see now that I missed the email saying it had been shipped on 3rd June and left Thailand on 6th June. Delivery attempt in UK was today 11th. I ordered on 18th May. 
  • RHunterrRHunterr Posts: 43
    Brain Burst
    I ordered mine (not the pu leather one, the cloth one) May 25 and it arrived three days ago.
  • Aidens12Aidens12 Posts: 110
    Art3mis
    i was excited to get the new, thicker  pair of pads for the quest, but i gotta say that i prefer using the old rift cv1 thin pu leather pad rather than the ones they sent. fortunately i had an extra pu leather pad from the cv1i could use and stick on the quest facial interface so its all good
  • SpuzzumSpuzzum Posts: 195
    Art3mis
    edited June 11
    I ordered mine yesterday, and it said estimated shipping at the end of August. That's only 2 months. But after seeing your post of 3 months, I immediately returned to VRCover to check...it now says, "Expected ship date 20 June 2019".

edit: crap...that's the plush cover, not the foam insert...lol. It's still the end of August. :(
  • DeadaceDeadace Posts: 82
    Hiro Protagonist
    Aidens12 said:
    i was excited to get the new, thicker  pair of pads for the quest, but i gotta say that i prefer using the old rift cv1 thin pu leather pad rather than the ones they sent. fortunately i had an extra pu leather pad from the cv1i could use and stick on the quest facial interface so its all good
    Wait what? So a pu-cover for cv1 fits on the Quest?
    The hard plastic insert won’t fit, but the velcro’d-on pad is similar enough. 

nalex66 said:
    The hard plastic insert won’t fit, but the velcro’d-on pad is similar enough. 
    So how will it fit without removing the the cover from the Oculus Quest? Or can you remove the cover?
    You need the Quest-specific hard plastic insert from VR Cover, which replaces the removable standard interface. Aidens12 was just saying that he used one of his CV1 pu pads instead of the new ones from his Quest VR Covers kit. 
  • VRBabe14VRBabe14 Posts: 111
    Art3mis
    edited June 12
    I've just received an update regarding my order delay. Here's the response from VR Cover. Can mods please pin this for customers thank you.

"Since your last correspondence with our team on Facebook, there's been an update regarding the shipping delay.

Your order hasn't been shipped because some customers who have only just received their sets in the mail have mentioned an issue. In the last few days, we learnt the Quest headset now has additional pins on the bottom of the interface which keeps it firmly in place. We worked with Oculus several months before the launch. This part of the interface was not in the original designs that they shared with us, so you can imagine this comes as an unpleasant surprise to us.

While reportedly the design change does not affect the function of our own interface, we understand that we are not meeting our own high standards. As a result we have to redesign our product. Unfortunately, this will take time to produce, affect our supply chain and delay your order delivery. We will reach out to you by email as soon as we have a new schedule which will be in the next days.

Does this arrangement work for you? My apologies for the inconvenience caused. If you've any questions in the meantime, please let me know."

Oculus Quest Status:
    RECEIVED Tues, May 21 2019 12:01 PM GMT

Oculus Rift & Touch Bundle Status:
    RECEIVED Thurs, Sept 07 2017 2:38 PM GMT

Oculus Rift DK2
    I wish they had caught that before shipping any. I noticed some review mentioned that the bottom wasn't retained like the original Oculus part. I hope they'll ship replacement plastic parts to the people who've already received the earlier version.
    Art3mis
    @nalex66 I think Oculus should foot the bill because they changed the design without telling vr cover.
    Oculus Quest Status:

Oculus Rift DK2
    VRBabe14 said:
    @nalex66 I think Oculus should foot the bill because they changed the design without telling vr cover.
    I agree.
    edited June 12
    VRBabe14 said:

That's the risk you run when you make unlicensed after-market parts. Oculus doesn't have any obligation to VR Cover in this case. Anyway, the injection-moulded plastic part is cheap to produce compared to the pu pads. I think they should send the revised version to their early customers as a gesture of appreciation and goodwill.
    Art3mis
    edited June 12
    nalex66 said:
    VRBabe14 said:

That's the risk you run when you make unlicensed after-market parts. Oculus doesn't have any obligation to VR Cover in this case. Anyway, the injection-moulded plastic part is cheap to produce compared to the pu pads. I think they should send the revised version to their early customers as a gesture of appreciation and goodwill.
    "We worked with Oculus several months before the launch. This part of the interface was not in the original designs that they shared with us,"

Yes they did work with Oculus so yes they should have told vr cover about the changes that would impact them and their customers.
    Oculus Quest Status:

Oculus Rift DK2
    That doesn't mean that they have any sort of licensing agreement with Oculus. I do some of this sort of thing, designing stuff around other people's products. Unless you're selling it as an officially endorsed and licensed product, you're typically on your own as far as dealing with any changes that may occur in the original product. It would've been nice of Oculus to update VR Cover about the change, but they're not on the hook in any way.
    Art3mis
    @nalex66 Working with means collaboration does it not? Otherwise Oculus would sue vr cover for copyright infringement for using their name. Maybe I'm wrong who knows anymore lol.
    Oculus Quest Status:

Oculus Rift DK2
    It's generally not an infringement to sell an after-market part that works as a replacement for an OEM part (you see a lot of it in the automotive industry). If they were using Oculus logos and making it look like an official part from Oculus, that would be a copyright issue.

Even though Oculus helped them out and provided advance information to VR Cover, this is still a VR Cover product that Oculus doesn't take responsibility for or officially endorse as an Oculus accessory.
  • PagliozPaglioz Posts: 46
    Brain Burst
    VRBabe14 said:
    I've just received an update regarding my order delay. Here's the response from VR Cover. Can mods please pin this for customers thank you.

"Since your last correspondence with our team on Facebook, there's been an update regarding the shipping delay.

Your order hasn't been shipped because some customers who have only just received their sets in the mail have mentioned an issue. In the last few days, we learnt the Quest headset now has additional pins on the bottom of the interface which keeps it firmly in place. We worked with Oculus several months before the launch. This part of the interface was not in the original designs that they shared with us, so you can imagine this comes as an unpleasant surprise to us.

While reportedly the design change does not affect the function of our own interface, we understand that we are not meeting our own high standards. As a result we have to redesign our product. Unfortunately, this will take time to produce, affect our supply chain and delay your order delivery. We will reach out to you by email as soon as we have a new schedule which will be in the next days.

Does this arrangement work for you? My apologies for the inconvenience caused. If you've any questions in the meantime, please let me know."

Is the oculus foam?
    because i visited the vrcover shop but they say nothing about this problem
    Art3mis
    @Paglioz - Yes this is for the oculus quest foam and facial adapter kit. I received this email from vr cover today regarding the delay. I just thought others should know why the reason was for their orders being pushed back.
    Oculus Quest Status:

Oculus Rift DK2
    edited June 12
    Oculus doesn't help out much on their own forums when people have problems, so it doesn't surprise me what has happened to VR Cover regarding communications.
    They used to have someone called cybereality who was great for Oculus, but since he left they don't communicate much at all when you have a problem now.
  • PagliozPaglioz Posts: 46
    Brain Burst
    VRBabe14 said:
    @Paglioz - Yes this is for the oculus quest foam and facial adapter kit. I received this email from vr cover today regarding the delay. I just thought others should know why the reason was for their orders being pushed back.
    I have bought it 2th of june but no mail for me and if you try to buy one there s no warning in the shop 
    Art3mis
    RedRizla said:
    Oculus doesn't help out much on their own forums when people have problems, so it doesn't surprise me what has happened to VR Cover regarding communications.
    They used to have someone called cybereality who was great for Oculus, but since he left they don't communicate much at all when you have a problem now.
    I remember cyber from my dk2 days. He helped me alot back then and when I heard that he was leaving I was sad.
    Oculus Quest Status:

Oculus Rift DK2
  • DeadaceDeadace Posts: 82
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited June 14
    I've actually ordered a CV1 Pu-leather cover now from amazon (really cheap), and hope that I can either remove the basis faceplate, and fixate the CV1 cover with sticky velcro, or otherwise cut it open and somehow wrap ot on top of the existing foam pad.. cost very little, so here goes nothing! :)
    Alternative is waiting for 2 and a half month for VRcover to be available, and then a months shipping time.. then we're getting close to christmas, fuck my life! :/ I just really want to show the Quest off, to my friends, at my work, at my local waterhole.. everywhere! But it's not happening with the current sweat absorbing non-sharable shit cover.

Let us know how it works out!
    So VR Cover has issued a statement about the design error/change, and they'll be offering a free replacement plastic part for anyone who got the first version with the missing nub at the bottom of the interface.