Oculus forcing Virtual Desktop developer to remove SteamVR support — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus forcing Virtual Desktop developer to remove SteamVR support

gotgalfgotgalf Posts: 48
Brain Burst
Dick move, Oculus, I'll give you that.

You needed only one bad decision to piss off half of your customers, especially the hardcore gamers, that buy the most games.

I'm thinking of returning the Quest, it still has bugs anyway, after several software updates, and the content isn't as rich and fun as I thought.
SteamVR support would've solved that, but now...

Comments

• kojackkojack Posts: 5,235 Volunteer Moderator

Hi guys, I'm sorry to announce this but Oculus doesn't want the SteamVR streaming feature in their store. I've been developing in VR for 5+ years and as some of you may know, I like to experiment and push the envelop with the tech. I saw the ability to stream VR content from your PC as a very cool idea. I thought it would be a perfect fit for my app since it already gives you access to your computer. Like a nice bonus feature. I worked on this for months and was eager to improve the functionality as I received your feedback over the last few days but according to Oculus, I am hurting Quest..

I will look into providing a separate APK with the VR streaming functionality enabled and make it available through SideQuest over the next few days.

• VRBabe14VRBabe14 Posts: 108
    Art3mis
    edited June 12
    Oculus is asking /u/ggodin (the developer) to remove the existing SteamVR support in Virtual Desktop.

Let’s make our voices heard! You can vote here: https://oculus.uservoice.com/forums/921937-oculus-quest/suggestions/37885843-virtual-desktop-with-steam-vr-support and show that this is unacceptable.

It only takes a second and a couple of clicks. If you don’t want to login with a Facebook/Google account you can enter your email address and that’s it (you can also then decline to keep it on their server and vote anonimously).

Spread the word!

Oculus Rift & Touch Bundle Status:
    RECEIVED Thurs, Sept 07 2017 2:38 PM GMT

Oculus Rift DK2 Status:
    PENDING Sat, May 31 2014 at 10:51 AM PDT
    PROCESSING Tue, Sept 02, 2014 6:47 PM GMT
    SHIPPED Thurs, Sept 04 2014 3:54 AM GMT
    RECEIVED Fri, Sept 05 2014 1:49 PM GMT
    UPS Scheduled Delivery: Fri, Sept 05 2014, By End of Day
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,802 Valuable Player
    I read this earlier. A damn shame oculus are taking this stance. Imo oculus have more to lose with this kind of attitude than they will gain by being more inclusive.
    Of course it is not my money on the table when it comes to share prices and they should know best
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    Art3mis
    edited June 12
    @bigmike20vt I agree 💯 Facebook promised us that they wouldn't change Oculus but just can't trust a corporation that's been censoring people. I've invested a lot of my money and time into the ecosystem and Facebook want to do a Sony and remove a great feature from a dev that his software alone has brought in so many new customers into this ecosystem. Facebook please don't do a Sony when they removed Linux from ps3. We hate being controlled especially after spending £500 on the quest.

Oculus Rift DK2 Status:
    I merged the two threads.

• kevink808kevink808 Posts: 803
    3Jane
    Not something I'd ever use.
    Rift-S, Quest 128GB, GO 64GB.
  • FailrunnerFailrunner Posts: 186
    Art3mis
    Welcome to Apple on Android. 👎
    Art3mis
    VRBabe14 said:
    Oculus is asking /u/ggodin (the developer) to remove the existing SteamVR support in Virtual Desktop.

Let’s make our voices heard! You can vote here: https://oculus.uservoice.com/forums/921937-oculus-quest/suggestions/37885843-virtual-desktop-with-steam-vr-support and show that this is unacceptable.

It only takes a second and a couple of clicks. If you don’t want to login with a Facebook/Google account you can enter your email address and that’s it (you can also then decline to keep it on their server and vote anonimously).

Spread the word!

I'm sure this is just a place Oculus wants to offload complaints so they don't have to hear our complaining.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,718 Valuable Player

I'm trying to think through the possible reasoning.

Apps that allow Steam games to stream to the Quest (and Oculus games via Revive) would definitely sell more Quests, no question (provided they perform ok).

It may have another effect though of reducing the sale of Quest games because people may prefer to buy the PC versions and play those on the Quest instead, in other words, the Quest becomes an untethered PC headset for more people. No problem then, Oculus and Steam just sell more PC games and more Quest hardware.

But there may be a downside in that it could disincentivise developers from working on dedicated Quest software if Quest apps don't sell so well.

That in turn could ultimately affect Quest hardware sales if people end up having no choice but to use the PC with the Quest for a lot more games that otherwise may have come to the Quest in a dedicated app.

I'm not sure there's a simple answer here.

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.175)
    The Quest store is a lot stricter than the Rift and Go stores. You need to submit concept docs for review before approval and there's a lot of requirements to meet. Here's a list:

I can see some of these might interfere with a SteamVR streaming, since you would then be playing games that might not meet the requirements (such as hitting 72fps, not using the index trigger to pick up things, not showing non quest controllers, etc).

But it's still crap that it's not allowed even as an experimental feature with a warning.

Art3mis
    Video content doesn't normally close to 72hz. 🤔
  • Memeyer2k16Memeyer2k16 Posts: 0
    NerveGear
    Many people is cracking by different means the system and I can not understand why the Oculus Company is limiting the usage of products ALREADY PAYED by us, like Oculus Quest ($499+ tax) and the Virtual Desktop ($!9.99) with the Steam app.
    I am sure that thousands of clients will move from Oculus to other Good marks available right now, and those who have purchased the product will sell it by 50% or less to move from Oculus to other Headset producer like PIMAX 5K, HTC VIVE, VR SHINECOM, VIULUX 4K, PLAYSTATION VR, LENOVO MIRAGE SOLO, ETC....
    Open your ears and your eyes OCULUS,otherwise you are going to experience a huge failure with huge losses.

Dr. G. E. Martínez
  • useri7useri7 Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    I think it's a purely financial thing. I certainly don't buy that official statement that it is due to security blah blah, but OK what should they say, right? I see it like this : the hardware is comparably cheap for what it offers, a great hardware plus really good software system. They have to finance it over their app store. It's just like the cheap printers with proprietary ink containers. I see their point, I don't buy their argument but understand their motivation.
  • 73Patrick7373Patrick73 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    The Quest was great and with the option in Vr desktop to Play Steam vr games iT was the solution and real game changer. Now I don’t pay for any game and will only use ALVR.
    Oculus you make a big mistake with this decision and when HTC or any other competitor offers the same headset with steam, there is no point to bay the quest. Huge mistake 
    Art3mis
    2,692 angry vr questers and counting

Oculus Rift DK2 Status:
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,753 Valuable Player
    It might also be a content liability concern?   The Quest and all content available on it is supposed to be suitable for families, while Steam has absolutely no moral guidelines for the content it hosts.  Sex, racism, nazi propaganda, etc.  If some parent finds out their child has been exposed to stuff like that through the Oculus Quest, guess who the resulting outrage would be directed towards?
    It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,466 Volunteer Moderator
    CrashFu said:
    It might also be a content liability concern?   The Quest and all content available on it is supposed to be suitable for families, while Steam has absolutely no moral guidelines for the content it hosts.  Sex, racism, nazi propaganda, etc.  If some parent finds out their child has been exposed to stuff like that through the Oculus Quest, guess who the resulting outrage would be directed towards?
    Well, really they were exposed through Steam, where they would have had to install that stuff before viewing it in the Quest. There's a built-in browser in Quest that allows you to browse any unsavoury content you can find on the internet, but that isn't blocked out of content liability concerns.

I think really, Oculus just doesn't want the Quest being used as a portal to a competing VR store, at least not via an app sold on the Oculus store.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,718 Valuable Player
    nalex66 said:
    I think really, Oculus just doesn't want the Quest being used as a portal to a competing VR store, at least not via an app sold on the Oculus store.

That's my gut feeling too.

And I maintain there's a logic (however unpopular) to Oculus doing everything they can to encourage developers to adapt games to run natively and perform well on the Quest and to create for it, rather than allow ways for non-Quest games to play on it, which may help the success of the headset in the long term.

If it turns out that we don't get enough titles on the Quest store in the first year then I'll admit I'm wrong. And although I'm arguing there's logic, I'm definitely one of the people sad to see this feature blocked.

I'd probably be more disappointed though if the only good titles to play on the Quest are those that require me to be tied to the PC (albeit untethered) cos I have a Rift for that.

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.175)
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,753 Valuable Player
    It would be a pretty sad situation if all the indie devs out there start going, "Well I don't even have to make my game good enough to pass the Quest curation standards;  I can just release anything on Steam and Quest-owners will still buy it and play it through Virtual Desktop"

This whole "controversy" is pretty funny, honestly.  It's like seeing someone mad that they aren't allowed to play in the town dump, when they already have a perfectly good playground next door.
    It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
  • RikkaKamiRikkaKami Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    edited June 13
    They clearly know that Rift S is a piece of garbage and that being able to play PC games on Quest will kill its almost non existent sales. 2 bad for them that we still can stream PC games via riftcat and alvr :3
  • adamriftsadamrifts Posts: 21
    Brain Burst
     Oculus probably makes no money on selling quest hardware and could even sell it at a lose. They need to make money on game sales. I understand why people aren’t pissed about this but come on they need to make money. why would they make a second generation in the future if people are just buying it to play there’s steam games. I’m with oculus on this one if it helps push the quest platform. Would be nice if they made a hybrid headset in the future that would make everyone happy. 
  • Chababy753Chababy753 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    The only reason why I bought the quest was to stream my desktop, dick move Oculus. I understand why you do it but come on you are ruining your product! Hire the guy that made the stream service and make it part of your Oculus store, that way not only you win. Care about your costumers please.