cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the motivation for a dev to make an experience for the Quest?

Failrunner
Heroic Explorer
I can't imagine spending days and months making an experience for this device with little to no clue what is expected of the experience and possibly be shut down with no explanation. At least someone like Apple will tell you what you need to do to be on their walled garden store. I'm no developer but I can't imagine being motivated to put the work in to even get something ready to submit to Oculus! ?
33 REPLIES 33

nalex66
MVP
MVP
The Quest acceptance/rejection process happens based on a written submission describing the intended concept of the app. They should not be spending days and months developing for the Quest before applying to get on the store.

The motivation for devs is to get their app onto a platform that has the potential to reach a much larger audience than PCVR.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Failrunner
Heroic Explorer

nalex66 said:

The Quest acceptance/rejection process happens based on a written submission describing the intended concept of the app. They should not be spending days and months developing for the Quest before applying to get on the store.

The motivation for devs is to get their app onto a platform that has the potential to reach a much larger audience than PCVR.

So they have to write an essay? They don't have to ever present the app? It seems like that's not how this works based on how devs have been getting shut down with no explanation.

CrashFu
Consultant
https://techcrunch.com/2019/06/10/oculus-sold-5-million-worth-of-quest-content-in-first-2-weeks-on-s...

^   That's the incentive. If your game is good enough to make it onto the Quest, you get a piece of that action.   That 5 million was split between, what, like fifty different games?

It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

nalex66
MVP
MVP

nalex66 said:

So they have to write an essay? They don't have to ever present the app? It seems like that's not how this works based on how devs have been getting shut down with no explanation.

From the Oculus Developer Blog:

Our focus on quality for the Quest platform has changed how we accept application submissions to publish for the Oculus Quest Store. We're requiring that all Oculus Quest developers provide a concept document for us to review before the developer can access the store submission process and non-public development resources. We're looking for evidence of quality and probable market success, and alignment to our Oculus Developer Content Guidelines. The concept submission process is a chance for developers to show us not only how cool their title will be, but also to explain how it will resonate with the Quest audience. There will be a form for submitting concepts launched under “Support” in the Oculus Developer Center in early March.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Failrunner
Heroic Explorer
Which would require tons of work to get shut down.

Richooal
Consultant

I don't understand where you're coming from. If you're not a developer, why have you singled out development for the Quest?
Have you been burned in some other way with the Quest?

I don't see developing for the quest as any different to developing for PC's, Consoles, Phones, etc. They all require work up front, and payment based on success. Many developers off their work for free just to get their name out there and some experience.
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

LZoltowski
Champion
I guess you never pitched a film/script to a studio, a presentation about a cool new idea at your work etc ... and got rejected. A fair bit of my ideas got shut down after spending literal months working on concepts for meetings throughout my life. Just because you have an idea and work hard at it doesn't mean it's a good one. Failing is good, just try harder next time 🙂

Curation is a double-edged sword, on one hand, you get good, quality content, on the other smaller devs with perhaps not the best skills at explaining their idea are driven away.

Does anyone know how difficult it is to publish on the PS4 store? I heard the guidelines and restrictions are quite strict too. I don't see many fart apps there.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Getting shut down is a good life lesson. Those who will end up truly successful will head back to the drawing board, and use their failures to their advantage as they... try again.

Anyone who is afraid to "get shut down" is someone that is creating their own barrier to success. Here are some great Bruce Lee quotes to set the frame of mind properly:

“I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.”

“A goal is not always meant to be reached, it often serves simply as something to aim at.”

“Absorb what is useful, Discard what is not, Add what is uniquely your own.”

“Know the difference between a catastrophe and an inconvenience. To realize that it’s just an inconvenience, that it is not a catastrophe, but just an unpleasantness, is part of coming into your own, part of waking up.”

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well how did bigscreen managed to pass because its crashed on me 3 times in one day which also caused black screen and Oculus runtime error.