What is the motivation for a dev to make an experience for the Quest? — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

What is the motivation for a dev to make an experience for the Quest?

FailrunnerFailrunner Posts: 186
Art3mis
edited June 12 in Oculus Quest
I can't imagine spending days and months making an experience for this device with little to no clue what is expected of the experience and possibly be shut down with no explanation. At least someone like Apple will tell you what you need to do to be on their walled garden store. I'm no developer but I can't imagine being motivated to put the work in to even get something ready to submit to Oculus! 😡

Comments

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,489 Volunteer Moderator
    edited June 12
    The Quest acceptance/rejection process happens based on a written submission describing the intended concept of the app. They should not be spending days and months developing for the Quest before applying to get on the store.

The motivation for devs is to get their app onto a platform that has the potential to reach a much larger audience than PCVR.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • FailrunnerFailrunner Posts: 186
    Art3mis
    nalex66 said:
    The Quest acceptance/rejection process happens based on a written submission describing the intended concept of the app. They should not be spending days and months developing for the Quest before applying to get on the store.

The motivation for devs is to get their app onto a platform that has the potential to reach a much larger audience than PCVR.
    So they have to write an essay? They don't have to ever present the app? It seems like that's not how this works based on how devs have been getting shut down with no explanation.
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,753 Valuable Player
    edited June 12
    https://techcrunch.com/2019/06/10/oculus-sold-5-million-worth-of-quest-content-in-first-2-weeks-on-sale/

^   That's the incentive. If your game is good enough to make it onto the Quest, you get a piece of that action.   That 5 million was split between, what, like fifty different games?

It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
    nalex66 said:

So they have to write an essay? They don't have to ever present the app? It seems like that's not how this works based on how devs have been getting shut down with no explanation.
    From the Oculus Developer Blog:

Our focus on quality for the Quest platform has changed how we accept application submissions to publish for the Oculus Quest Store. We're requiring that all Oculus Quest developers provide a concept document for us to review before the developer can access the store submission process and non-public development resources. We're looking for evidence of quality and probable market success, and alignment to our Oculus Developer Content Guidelines. The concept submission process is a chance for developers to show us not only how cool their title will be, but also to explain how it will resonate with the Quest audience. There will be a form for submitting concepts launched under “Support” in the Oculus Developer Center in early March.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
    Art3mis
    Which would require tons of work to get shut down.
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,053
    Wintermute

I don't understand where you're coming from. If you're not a developer, why have you singled out development for the Quest?
    Have you been burned in some other way with the Quest?

I don't see developing for the quest as any different to developing for PC's, Consoles, Phones, etc. They all require work up front, and payment based on success. Many developers off their work for free just to get their name out there and some experience.
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - 0 PROBLEMS
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,754 Volunteer Moderator
    I guess you never pitched a film/script to a studio, a presentation about a cool new idea at your work etc ... and got rejected. A fair bit of my ideas got shut down after spending literal months working on concepts for meetings throughout my life. Just because you have an idea and work hard at it doesn't mean it's a good one. Failing is good, just try harder next time :)

Curation is a double-edged sword, on one hand, you get good, quality content, on the other smaller devs with perhaps not the best skills at explaining their idea are driven away.

Does anyone know how difficult it is to publish on the PS4 store? I heard the guidelines and restrictions are quite strict too. I don't see many fart apps there.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 13,954 Valuable Player
    edited June 13

Getting shut down is a good life lesson. Those who will end up truly successful will head back to the drawing board, and use their failures to their advantage as they... try again.

Anyone who is afraid to "get shut down" is someone that is creating their own barrier to success. Here are some great Bruce Lee quotes to set the frame of mind properly:

“I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.”

“A goal is not always meant to be reached, it often serves simply as something to aim at.”

“Absorb what is useful, Discard what is not, Add what is uniquely your own.”

“Know the difference between a catastrophe and an inconvenience. To realize that it’s just an inconvenience, that it is not a catastrophe, but just an unpleasantness, is part of coming into your own, part of waking up.”

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • VRBabe14VRBabe14 Posts: 111
    Art3mis
    Well how did bigscreen managed to pass because its crashed on me 3 times in one day which also caused black screen and Oculus runtime error.
    Oculus Quest Status:
    RECEIVED Tues, May 21 2019 12:01 PM GMT

Oculus Rift & Touch Bundle Status:
    RECEIVED Thurs, Sept 07 2017 2:38 PM GMT

Oculus Rift DK2
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,755 Valuable Player
    edited June 13

An app crashing on a user isn't necessarily an indication of poor quality. If it crashed on lots of users though, that would be an indication.

I sometimes fall into the trap of thinking a bad experience for me is therefore a bad experience, period. But then I remember the world is bigger than me.

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.175)
  • VRBabe14VRBabe14 Posts: 111
    Art3mis
    edited June 13
    @DaftnDirect - Other users were experiencing the same problem as myself as well as microphone issues on quest and other headsets. But if Facebook have this strict guidelines for devs how did bigscreen managed to pass the process. Its full of bugs and I'd have thought Facebook would refused the app until it was fixed. It's not acceptable to release an app that crashes all the time.
    Oculus Quest Status:
    RECEIVED Tues, May 21 2019 12:01 PM GMT

Oculus Rift & Touch Bundle Status:
    RECEIVED Thurs, Sept 07 2017 2:38 PM GMT

Oculus Rift DK2
    BigScreen has also been one of the most popular apps since the dawn of modern VR, and the developers patch and update it on a very frequent basis;   So even if there are some launch issues with the Quest port, Oculus is going to trust them to sort it out.
    It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
    Art3mis
    Zenbane said:

Getting shut down is a good life lesson. Those who will end up truly successful will head back to the drawing board, and use their failures to their advantage as they... try again.

Anyone who is afraid to "get shut down" is someone that is creating their own barrier to success. Here are some great Bruce Lee quotes to set the frame of mind properly:

“I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.”

“A goal is not always meant to be reached, it often serves simply as something to aim at.”

“Absorb what is useful, Discard what is not, Add what is uniquely your own.”

“Know the difference between a catastrophe and an inconvenience. To realize that it’s just an inconvenience, that it is not a catastrophe, but just an unpleasantness, is part of coming into your own, part of waking up.”

Yeah well then we aren't gonna have a hell of a lot of content. Plus a lot of content people want is being rejected so... 🤔
    Yeah well then we aren't gonna have a hell of a lot of content.
    Quality over Quantity.

Plus,
    Oculus Quest Content Library ‘On Target To Hit 100+ Games’ This Year

Plus a lot of content people want is being rejected so...

I don't really sympathize with the needs of the common folk. Once you start to blindly accommodate "what people want" is when you start serving Poopoo Platters.

Art3mis
    Zenbane said:
    Yeah well then we aren't gonna have a hell of a lot of content.
    Quality over Quantity.

Plus,

Plus a lot of content people want is being rejected so...

I don't really sympathize with the needs of the common folk. Once you start to blindly accommodate "what people want" is when you start serving Poopoo Platters.

Quantity over quality but you don't care about quality content being rejected? 🤔
    edited June 13
    Quantity over quality but you don't care about quality content being rejected? 🤔

What you may personally call quality may not actually be true quality. If your quality content gets rejected, try again using Quality Improvement techniques. We already covered that part.
    Art3mis
    Zenbane said:

What you may personally call quality may not actually be true quality. If your quality content gets rejected, try again using Quality Improvement techniques. We already covered that part.
    You will defend anything Oculus does. If the majority of people like the game and want it it's quality to me. I didn't see anyone saying they weren't didn't want games like"To the top" which i'm sure you will say sucks because your an Oculus slave.😁
    edited June 13
    You will defend anything Oculus does.

So you ran out of counter-arguments and want to start with the emotional stuff? Try to focus on the topic. If you make this a 1v1 with me, you're going to fail, runner.

I have criticized Oculus heavily in the past, especially when it came to taking the Rift CV1 in to the current Rift-S direction. I referred to it as a "downgrade" because I was not convinced that Inside-Out tracking was on par with the external sensor tracking. I will gladly provide critique when it is warranted. But just blindly jumping on a cynical bandwagon is nothing that anyone should strive to do.

If the majority of people like the game and want it it's quality to me.

So you let others define quality for you? You embrace the Hive Mind? Then why are you opposed to letting Oculus define quality for you as well? You contradict yourself.

I didn't see anyone saying they weren't didn't want games like"To the top" which i'm sure you will say sucks because your an Oculus slave.

Nah, it just seems like you're a slave to failure. You are basically arguing against self-improvement. You are getting upset because you think that no one should get rejected. And instead of stepping back and realizing that getting rejecting is an opportunity to improve, you're simply letting the failure cause you to run away from success; Failrunner.

Not to mention that you just admitted that you willingly allow others to dictate to you what entails Quality. That's you willingly being a slave.

You have a very strange definition of "the majority".

Last I checked, "the majority" prefer good, high-quality games over zero-budget, zero-effort shovelware.   And that's who the Quest is intended for: mainstream consumers who expect a minimum standard of quality for the money they're spending.

If you want to play 1-star shovelware titles so badly, go get an HTC Vive and install SteamVR.  You'll have more shovelware than you could play in a lifetime.

:kissing_heart:
    Art3mis
    Zenbane said:
    You will defend anything Oculus does.

So you ran out of counter-arguments and want to start with the emotional stuff? Try to focus on the topic. If you make this a 1v1 with me, you're going to fail, runner.

I have criticized Oculus heavily in the past, especially when it came to taking the Rift CV1 in to the current Rift-S direction. I referred to it as a "downgrade" because I was not convinced that Inside-Out tracking was on par with the external sensor tracking. I will gladly provide critique when it is warranted. But just blindly jumping on a cynical bandwagon is nothing that anyone should strive to do.

If the majority of people like the game and want it it's quality to me.

So you let others define quality for you? You embrace the Hive Mind? Then why are you opposed to letting Oculus define quality for you as well? You contradict yourself.

I didn't see anyone saying they weren't didn't want games like"To the top" which i'm sure you will say sucks because your an Oculus slave.

Nah, it just seems like you're a slave to failure. You are basically arguing against self-improvement. You are getting upset because you think that no one should get rejected. And instead of stepping back and realizing that getting rejecting is an opportunity to improve, you're simply letting the failure cause you to run away from success; Failrunner.

Not to mention that you just admitted that you willingly allow others to dictate to you what entails Quality. That's you willingly being a slave.

Oh yeah well they just pavlov! How about you stupid ass! I'm gonna cancel my order. Enjoy your crappy Apple locked down Oculus slave bullshit!
    Art3mis
    CrashFu said:
    You have a very strange definition of "the majority".

Last I checked, "the majority" prefer good, high-quality games over zero-budget, zero-effort shovelware.   And that's who the Quest is intended for: mainstream consumers who expect a minimum standard of quality for the money they're spending.

If you want to play 1-star shovelware titles so badly, go get an HTC Vive and install SteamVR.  You'll have more shovelware than you could play in a lifetime.

:kissing_heart:
    Enjoy not getting pavlov now you corporate slave.
    edited June 13
    Oh yeah well they just pavlov!

It seems, in your anger, that you forgot to type some words there. Here's some Pavlov info that may serve you well:
    https://www.simplypsychology.org/pavlov.html

How about you stupid ass!

Yes, my ass is in fact stupid as my brain does not reside there... unlike SOMEONE I KNOW.

I'm gonna cancel my order.

K.

Enjoy your crappy Apple locked down Oculus slave bullshit!
    Apple is a 1-trillion dollar company with 1.8 million Apps in its store. You don't seem to understand what "crappy" means. Enjoy being a slave to failure!
    <3

Art3mis
    Zenbane said:
    Oh yeah well they just pavlov!

It seems, in your anger, that you forgot to type some words there. Here's some Pavlov info that may serve you well:
    https://www.simplypsychology.org/pavlov.html

How about you stupid ass!

Yes, my ass is in fact stupid as my brain does not reside there... unlike SOMEONE I KNOW.

I'm gonna cancel my order.

K.

Enjoy your crappy Apple locked down Oculus slave bullshit!
    Apple is a 1-trillion dollar company with 1.8 million Apps in its store. You don't seem to understand what "crappy" means. Enjoy being a slave to failure!
    <3

Slave. Enjoy having no games to play.
    Slave.
    Nah, you're just a slave to failure, and you run from success.

Enjoy having no games to play.

VR is more than just gaming. And there are over 100 games coming to Quest:

https://uploadvr.com/oculus-quest-100-games-2019/
    Art3mis
    Zenbane said:
    Slave.
    Nah, you're just a slave to failure, and you run from success.

Enjoy having no games to play.

VR is more than just gaming. And there are over 100 games coming to Quest:

https://uploadvr.com/oculus-quest-100-games-2019/
    Enjoy oculus cucumbers. 😁
    Enjoy the cucumbers of the general public :#

Art3mis
    Zenbane said:
    Enjoy the cucumbers of the general public :#

I wish you the best in life. You can overcome being brainwashed by Oculus. It sucks to be weak minded. If I yell at you I feel like I'm kicking an infant so I will stop talking to you. 😊
    You can overcome being brainwashed by Oculus.

We're not talking about Oculus, we're talking about Quality Control and your apparent love of cucumbers.

It sucks to be weak minded.

I'll take your word for it; your first-hand experience is unrivaled.

If I yell at you I feel like I'm kicking an infant so I will stop talking to you.

Seems like you're projecting some personal experiences there. Being kicked as an infant may very well cause someone to become a slave to failure and run from success.

I wish you the best in life.

Right back ya, Captain Cucumber! ;)
    Okay guys, let's cool it with the name-calling.
    Art3mis
    edited June 13
    No problem i'll just leave this here. https://youtu.be/EgcnUp6YZf4 😁
This discussion has been closed.