New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Can’t Reach Oculus Runtime after 1.38 Update

MrSheppardMrSheppard Posts: 8
NerveGear
edited June 15 in Support
My Rift S functioned fine until last night where the 1.38 Update was downloaded.
Today, i only get "Can’t Reach Oculus Runtime" message with the suggestion to restart my PC or try repairing the installation. 
So i went and tried the repairing process. After it was done, the headset worked again.
The next day, the Oculus software automatically started the 1.38 update.
After this update the same message mentioned above showed up again.

I suspect this update broke the RuntimeVR service which can not start anymore.
I hope i can get some help.

Comments

• orviwanorviwan Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I had the same issue. Did you enable the beta channel? That's when my problems started. I did a clean install, and didn't enable the beta channel, and it's been working fine since.
  • MrSheppardMrSheppard Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    no i did not enable that
  • sraurasraura Posts: 589
    Trinity
    what do the logs say?
    NerveGear
    Unfortunately I have not saved the logs ... 
  • DawiizDawiiz Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    I have the same problem
  • lineCTlineCT Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    edited June 14
    I have the same problem ! . Updating Oculus sofware cannot complete the installation. Oculus VR Runtime service does not start. OculusPatchMarch2018.exe does not solve the problem

• Jerom_G25Jerom_G25 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    same problem here
    NerveGear
    edited June 15
    lineCT said:
    I have the same problem ! . Updating Oculus sofware cannot complete the installation. Oculus VR Runtime service does not start. OculusPatchMarch2018.exe does not solve the problem

I also tried the patch out of desperation and it did not work. I’m kind of at a loss what to do. Also when promted to install the Oculus update it takes forever. Was not finished after 3 hours.
  • richard.kohlstedtrichard.kohlstedt Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Same for me! Log says:

[Debug] [15.06.2019 11:55:06] Attempting to start the Runtime service.

Installation stuck for more than 1 hour. 
  • KangelosKangelos Posts: 103
    Hiro Protagonist
    I have the same problem. 
    Only solution i have for now is go to C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime\
    and run the OVRServer_x64.exe . Lets it run in the background. Your apps/games will work as long 
    as its running.
  • r05encrantzr05encrantz Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    same here. really annoying :(
  • pcfarrarpcfarrar Posts: 21
    Brain Burst
    Got the same issue, just trying a reinstall now.
    Brain Burst
    edited June 15
    Was able to downgrade to 1.37.1 and I'm back up and running again. 1.38 is definitely bugged there was no way I could get the Oculus VR runtime service to start. I did wonder if replacing the 1.38 "OVRServiceLauncher.exe" with the 1.37.1 version would work but to be honest I don't want the hassle of reinstalling again.
  • MezqaMezqa Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    I have the same problem. I can´t use Oculus with the 1.38 upgrade. I haven´t solution for moment
    Brain Burst
    edited June 15
    Mezqa said:
    I have the same problem. I can´t use Oculus with the 1.38 upgrade. I haven´t solution for moment
    Run OVRServer_x64.exe in the \Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime folder. Once it’s running then run OculusClient.exe in the oculus-client folder and you’ll be back in business. You’ll need to do this every boot up of Windows until they patch the bug.
    NerveGear
    pcfarrar said:
    Mezqa said:
    Run OVRServer_x64.exe in the \Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime folder. Once it’s running then run OculusClient.exe in the oculus-client folder and you’ll be back in business. You’ll need to do this every boot up of Windows until they patch the bug.
    I can´t run OVRServer_x64.exe. The following message appears "Warning (crash reporter). Unable to start breakpad server-assuming server already exist"...and no more. 
  • lineCTlineCT Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Run OVRServer_x64.exe in the \Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime folder, & put Oculus on the head.
  • wickedmattwickedmatt Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Same problem, only fix is to start OVRServer_x64 manually.
    NerveGear
    Same problem, only fix is to start OVRServer_x64 manually.
    I would like to try this. But the Update just never completes. It just goes on and on
    NerveGear
    edited June 16
    Update:
    I started the OVRServer_x64 which opened up Oculus Software. 
    It prompted me to update the Firmware of the headset which did not work/complete.
    But when i started OVRServer_x64 as Administrator, the Firmware update completed without a problem. 
    Oculus itself runs fine but Steam VR now always encounters an error (475) when i try to play any game
    NerveGear
    Update:
    Can get everything to work when i run BOTH OVRServer_X64 as well as STEAM as Administrator. 
    Brain Burst
    I got 1.38 fully working, all you need to do is get a copy of the old 1.37 "OVRServiceLauncher.exe" and copy it over the new 1.38 version. Once that's done the service will start and everything works fine. Using the older version of OVRServiceLauncher doesn't seem to cause any problems.
    NerveGear
    lineCT said:
    Run OVRServer_x64.exe in the \Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime folder, & put Oculus on the head.
    I´m doing, but nothing happen. 
    I can´t execute either OVRServiceLauncher.exe
    I wait for the support answer.
    Brain Burst
    edited June 17
    Mezqa said:
    lineCT said:
    I´m doing, but nothing happen. 
    I can´t execute either OVRServiceLauncher.exe
    I wait for the support answer.
    I’ve posted the 1.37 OVRServicelauncher.exe on the oculus subreddit. You can download it, replace the 1.38 version and you’ll be fully working again.
  • V12-StevenXV12-StevenX Posts: 25
    Brain Burst
    pcfarrar said:
    Was able to downgrade to 1.37.1 and I'm back up and running again. 1.38 is definitely bugged there was no way I could get the Oculus VR runtime service to start. I did wonder if replacing the 1.38 "OVRServiceLauncher.exe" with the 1.37.1 version would work but to be honest I don't want the hassle of reinstalling again.
    So it's correct only to overwrite the 1.38 OVRServiceLauncher.exe.exe with the OVRServiceLauncher.exe 1.37?. Don't you need to launch oculus client right by hand subsequently, right? in this mode should work normally?. I also have this problem from 1.38 ... but I hope Oculus staff patch soon and answer on the forum about this problem.
    Brain Burst
    pcfarrar said:
    So it's correct only to overwrite the 1.38 OVRServiceLauncher.exe.exe with the OVRServiceLauncher.exe 1.37?. Don't you need to launch oculus client right by hand subsequently, right? in this mode should work normally?. I also have this problem from 1.38 ... but I hope Oculus staff patch soon and answer on the forum about this problem.
    That’s correct once you’ve overwritten the 1.38 OVRServiceLauncher.exe reboot and it will be fully working. Just put the headset on and it will fire up automatically.
  • V12-StevenXV12-StevenX Posts: 25
    Brain Burst
    Many thanks pcfarrar. I'll try as you told me. But in your opinion..why the oculus support has not yet given an official response and fix for this problem?
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    edited June 17
    I'm having this same problem. I have a ticket open for troubleshooting  #777467. I hope everyone else is opening Support tickets so that Oculus knows how many people it affects.
    Brain Burst
    Many thanks pcfarrar. I'll try as you told me. But in your opinion..why the oculus support has not yet given an official response and fix for this problem?
    They must be aware of the issue by now, and it's quite surprising there has been no response from them so far....
  • PseudosePseudose Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    If they could go ahead and resolve this massive issue that'd be great....