New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

My rift s review then an old fashion oculus caning.

inovatorinovator Posts: 2,844 Valuable Player
I was with oculus from the beginning starting with the samsung gear inovator addition ( it would heat up and shut down after about 30 minutes) but I loved it. We were told the problems prior to purchase hence the name innovator. I loved my rift cv1 since 2016.
My rift s review: I love the reduced screen door effect. The better clarity is great. Most of all I love the ease of set up. No more moving furniture. I was going to return my s. 2 reasons 1. Sudden black screen when playing an online shooter like like Pavlov and contactors within 10 minutes a certain loudness or decibel then boom no display. Or shut down oculus than fire up oculus home again then black screen. I found a way around it. 1. Black screen in online fps is 100% caused by using the crap built in speakers when I was lazy. Solution for me are ear buds. No problem since and 2. I don't shut down the home screen.  I really do love this rift s but I'm going to give oculus the cane thrashing it deserves: Oculus you have such nerve releasing this headset before it was ready. A few bugs is understandable. But not with so many bugs and some major ones at that. And the nerve of you to release a headset with such crappy built in audio and to add insult to injury causes a black screen when volume is on high  in online fps. And not to at least have an audio solution for those of us that want it. And there are other problems you are aware of like white flashes etc.  After the latestupdate i still hearof some of the same major problems. The update hasn't made it tome yet. Ease of use was supposed encourage new users but may instead turn off some new users. You should be ashamed of this launch. Yes I will forgive you but I hope you learned from this experience. 

Comments

• MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    Oculus went to the pub whilst they left all the issues to Lenovo ;)
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 16,703 Valuable Player
    inovator said:
    and give oculus a spanking.

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 6,825 Valuable Player
    edited June 2019
    There's always a risk being an early adopter - I'm fairly confident that the Rift-S will be a much better product in 6 months, especially if Oculus optimizes tracking and provides an add-on audio solution. I avoided the first Index batch too, not jumping in that lake before I read the first user reviews  o:)

Fun thing - read this after one user went back to his CV1 after using the Reverb, must be a truly worst-case-scenario, right? But no, lol:

From HP Reverb to CV1

had the flickering, dark screen issue so my hp reverb is going back for a manufacturing defect but i was able to use it for 30 minutes at a time without any problems most days. I want to highlight some differences here between the cv1 and the hp reverb.

IPD of 64

1080 TI GPU

The reverb is narrower than the CV1 and for this reason when I put the mask on the leather sits right on my eyebrows. During gameplay if I raise my eyebrows it shifts the entire hmd and my vision becomes blurry. As a result I wasn't able to fully relax or forget im wearing an hmd, I had to have it in the back of my mind that i cant make any facial expressions.

When I put on the CV1 i can look anywhere on the screen and it doesnt bother me. IDK how cv1 achieved this but it's very easy to relax in bigscreen and have my eyes move around and watch the cinema. With the reverb i am acutely aware any time I'm not looking at the center sweet spot and it bothers me. My vision actually seems blurry if my eyes move anywhere else, and the worst part is that im constantly noticing how blurry things look and trying to adjust my heads angle to get back to that sharp image. its harder to fully relax and forget that I'm wearing an hmd when I am constantly aware of my head position vs eye position.

And the reverb ear phones... If my ear were forward slashes... these headphones sit like a backslash. It's actually the opposite angle that I want them to sit on my ears, its like the corner of one side digs into my ear instead of the whole speaker being parallel to the angle my ears sit. The CV1 headphones sit perfectly and didnt have this problem, the reverb headphones would snap and break the screw if I try to turn them how the CV1 speakers fit.

And lastly... windows mixed reality portal. What a heaping pile of shit. lol. its nice being in the oculus eco system... When I hosted a bigscreen room using the reverb and wmr.. everytime someone new joined my room for a second it would flash me out of the cinema and into a grid... totally immersion ruining being in that wmr ecosystem

In conclusion I actually don't mind going back to my cv1. It's just so much easier to relax and forget I have an hmd on and after my experience I think this might be the most important part of VR! There is no moving my head around constantly, getting annoyed at blurry images because im not looking dead center, having to adjust the hmd on my face because I moved my eyebrows, my ears never get sore, etc.

After being forced back to cv1 from a broken reverb i am surprised to find myself perfectly contented with that situation. Cheers to oculus for creating a great product that has withstood the test of time

p.s. the reverb display is an ideal compromise for a work environment where you dont need immersion, you need to be able to focus on details and its okay to force the customer to move their head around, etc. The reverb was designed for a use case that is not gaming and immersion. the resolution is a huge bump but still pixelated obviously in games like skyrim so there's not a wow factor to knock you on your ass

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/c0nd2a/from_hp_reverb_to_cv1/

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • hoppingbunny123hoppingbunny123 Posts: 972
    Neo
    edited June 2019
    ill get a rift s for christmas. or a new 500 cad dollar video card. probably the rift s. heres hoping oculus slashes off a price in-between now and christmas rush. while the rift s is still new and cool. in the mean time i got melanoma above my right eye on the side of my head in line with my eyebrow. so im laying off the vr for a while to heal up. hope vr didnt give me melanoma cause its right where the screen shines on my head.

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,958 Valuable Player
    edited June 2019
    I'll never be an early adopter of any VR headset again. You knew what you were getting in the Dk1 & Dk2 days, because you were a beta tester and couldn't complain unless the headset was faulty. These consumer VR headsets should just work when you get them. You shouldn't have to wait for a firmware update to fix them when they have just launched.
    I'll wait a good few months now before I ever purchase another VR headset. The excitement for a new headset will just have to wait given the frustration these newly launched headsets can bring.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 8,002 Valuable Player
    ill get a rift s for christmas. or a new 500 cad dollar video card. probably the rift s. heres hoping oculus slashes off a price in-between now and christmas rush. while the rift s is still new and cool. in the mean time i got melanoma above my right eye on the side of my head in line with my eyebrow. so im laying off the vr for a while to heal up. hope vr didnt give me melanoma cause its right where the screen shines on my head.

Shit, sorry to hear about that! Hope your treatment goes okay and you get it all sorted out! :o
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,597 Valuable Player
    edited June 2019
    Looks like most manufacturers rushed their headsets out this time before they were ready, just hoping valve didn’t do the same.
  • dburnedburne Posts: 4,157 Valuable Player
    Looks like most manufacturers rushed their headsets out this time before they were ready, just hoping valve didn’t do the same.
    Fully agree with that.
    I think perhaps in the Oculus Rift S case, they partnered and rushed it out without enough broad testing.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • xSTONEMANxxSTONEMANx Posts: 200
    Art3mis
    dburne said:
    Fully agree with that.
    I think perhaps in the Oculus Rift S case, they partnered and rushed it out without enough broad testing.
    Agreed 
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 2,844 Valuable Player
    I think they did enough testing and knew the problems. For some reason they felt it was more of a benifit to release it even with the problems.
    inovator said:
    I think they did enough testing and knew the problems. For some reason they felt it was more of a benifit to release it even with the problems.
    I'm starting to think they just thought people would just except this. Like it was some type of beta headset from the Dk1 & Dk2 days. They have to realise this is a consumer headset now and we are not beta testers for them. They should have their own dedicate team for testing their headsets or higher a team if don't have one.
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    DEV - "It just isn't ready yet boss but HP will beat us to it...and then by the time we sort it, Valve will be to compete against!"
    CEO - "ah sod it! Just get it out there. By the time it works we'll have made enough money to move on again"
    DEV - "on again boss?"
    CEO - "keep up! we plan on doing the same again with our new flagship...the RIFT X You DEVs are just too slow for the competition!"

Ain't that about right!!!
    Agreed
    Neo
    edited June 2019
    i wonder when it became a good idea to not have a mechanical ipd? are they aware they are ruining the rift s for us with  an ipd larger than 65.5 ipd?

optimal ipd range for rift s: 61.5 to 65.5

my ipd is 72, i feel bad about the rift s ipd.

Neo
    edited June 2019
    snowdog said:

Shit, sorry to hear about that! Hope your treatment goes okay and you get it all sorted out! :o
    the doctor put a cryofreeze spray can on it four or five times in a row, froze it a lot. then after a few days it just peeled off like a scab just a few minutes ago. i hope it wasnt melanoma. it looked like it but whatever it was its gone. so ill go back for another doctor visit later on. heh maybe some more freezing to be safe.

• SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,330
    Project 2501
    edited June 2019
    One of the most ridiculous things to me is the floating hands in front of you face. When your playing and you have your hands to your sides when nothing much is happening this is what the software does:

I can't see the touch controllers so I know what to do > lets stick the hands in front of the users face to break immersion.

Oculus should have made it so if It can't find your Touch controllers it sticks your hands to the sides of your legs, it should not have chosen to stick your hands in front of your face blocking your vision.

I think the Rift S is a disaster imo. Just abysmal. I really didn't think things could go so wrong by buying Rift S as I just expected it to be slightly better then Rift CV1 which the screen is but everything else is just terrible.

According to Oculus, Tracking, Sound and Immersion so longer matter in VR.  :'(
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,330
    Project 2501
    edited June 2019
    RedRizla said:
    I'll never be an early adopter of any VR headset again. You knew what you were getting in the Dk1 & Dk2 days, because you were a beta tester and couldn't complain unless the headset was faulty. These consumer VR headsets should just work when you get them. You shouldn't have to wait for a firmware update to fix them when they have just launched.
    I'll wait a good few months now before I ever purchase another VR headset. The excitement for a new headset will just have to wait given the frustration these newly launched headsets can bring.

Yeah I pre-ordered Valve Index for August 31st, not paid yet but I've decided I'm going to be sensible this time and hold off and wait for reviews.

I still plan on getting Index and I'm very excited about it but until I know it's hassle free and doesn't have major issues I'm just going to risk it.

I think we all got spoilt with Rift CV1, it's still an amazing HMD and still the best HMD imo.

If only we could upgrade the optics to CV1 that would be sweet but until Rift CV2 arrives I am happy to be back playing on CV1. At least the tracking and audio is perfection for me.
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
    edited June 2019
    The biggest laugh is that Rift S was supposed to make the setup very simple. Seriously, I could have installed three Rift CV1's and sensors in the same amount of time it took me to trouble shoot the Rift S.
    They should have just had the Oculus Quest use inside out tracking because it's mobile. PC -VR should use external sensors because lets face it you are still tethered to your PC and aren't going to be moving your Pc around often.
    The CV1 takes hardly any setting up at all despite what some other people say. It takes no longer then 30 mins to setup sensors on your walls with trunking and 5 mins if you are just standing them on sideboards etc.
    RedRizla said:
    The biggest laugh is that Rift S was supposed to make the setup very simple. Seriously, I could have installed three Rift CV1's and sensors in the same amount of time it took me to trouble shoot the Rift S.
    They should have just had the Oculus Quest use inside out tracking because it's mobile. PC -VR should use external sensors because lets face it you are still tethered to your PC and aren't going to be moving your Pc around often.
    The CV1 takes hardly any setting up at all despite what some other people say. It takes no longer then 30 mins to setup sensors on your walls with trunking and 5 mins if you are just standing them on sideboards etc.
    It's not all about you. Some people like me can't do a permanent set up. It's set up, put away over and over. That's one of the things I love about the rift s. I have a love hate relationship with it right now. 
    edited June 2019
    inovator said:
    RedRizla said:
    It's not all about you. Some people like me can't do a permanent set up. It's set up, put away over and over. That's one of the things I love about the rift s. I have a love hate relationship with it right now. 

I know it's not about me, but you are making it sound like it's about you judging by your post. Just because you like to set it up and put it away doesn't mean we all like to do that. In-fact I bet a lot of people wouldn't want the hassle of putting it away every time they've used it.
    All I was pointing out is the Rift S isn't easy to setup because of all it's problems. The ease of use might come after some patching, but that's not the case right now. I also said that setting up external sensors was not such a big problem and that they can be setup within 5 to 10 mins which is true.

Ease of use was supposed encourage new users but may instead turn off some new users.
    You are the one who said this in your first post. Seems to me like you're able to say what you want, but are quick to pull others up for saying how they feel.

• vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 2,020 Valuable Player
    inovator said:
    Agrees. I just needed to vent a little and give oculus a spanking.

Yes put me off buying a rift s which was a close call, whoever fixes first wins for me, reverb or rift S

on a side note

who doesn’t love a good spanking!
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
    RedRizla said:
    inovator said:
    RedRizla said:

I know it's not about me, but you are making it sound like it's about you judging by your post. Just because you like to set it up and put it away doesn't mean we all like to do that. In-fact I bet a lot of people wouldn't want the hassle of putting it away every time they've used it.
    All I was pointing out is the Rift S isn't easy to setup because of all it's problems. The ease of use might come after some patching, but that's not the case right now. I also said that setting up external sensors was not such a big problem and that they can be setup within 5 to 10 mins which is true.

Ease of use was supposed encourage new users but may instead turn off some new users.
    You are the one who said this in your first post. Seems to me like you're able to say what you want, but are quick to pull others up for saying how they feel.

I respect others opinions. Once the nicks are worked out the user base will grow. A lot more people are going to buy into the rift s because of the inside tracking. The average user does not have the ability to keep a set up permanent as the user base grows. I agree many people don't like the hassle of setting up every time. But like me many users don't have a choice. I would love not setting up every time. Oh wait I have the rift s I don't have to now.
    vannagirl said:
    inovator said:
    Agrees. I just needed to vent a little and give oculus a spanking.

Yes put me off buying a rift s which was a close call, whoever fixes first wins for me, reverb or rift S

on a side note

who doesn’t love a good spanking!

Owe that hurt. That being said, your making a good call. Since I figured a way around the problems I'm glad I have it but I shouldn't have to figure a way around the problems.
    edited June 2019
    @inovator
    The bit I don't understand is why people think it takes so long to setup 2 or 3 sensors. Without mounting them permanently to the walls, it takes me about 5 minutes to set them up on their stands. The 5 mins extra setup time also gives me 360 degree of tracking which is far better then inside out.
    Anyways, it is what it is and there's no changing it now. I'm glad you like inside out, but there's lots of people who don't like it and prefer a sensors setup. It would have been nice to have both options, but that's not going to happen so I'll move on for now.
    RedRizla said:
    @inovator
    The bit I don't understand is why people think it takes so long to setup 2 or 3 sensors. Without mounting them permanently to the walls, it takes me about 5 minutes to set them up on their stands. The 5 mins extra setup time also gives me 360 degree of tracking which is far better then inside out.
    Anyways, it is what it is and there's no changing it now. I'm glad you like inside out, but there's lots of people who don't like it and prefer a sensors setup. It would have been nice to have both options, but that's not going to happen so I'll move on for now.
    In my case I have to move three tables  for sensors, a coffee table needs to be moved. Gates to block TV so I don't smash it like the last. I have to move other smaller objects. Than move everything back. My words to you should have been a little more layed back. I side tracking in my opinion will be 100% what's offered in the future. For now like you said it is what it is.