cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rift 2 specifications? i speculate

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
i speculate they add in two ways to have cameras, one with the built in cameras, and one with the rift cameras to give better tracking for those who want the better tracking.

i speculate a 130 degree fov. horizontally and vertically.

i speculate the ability to lower both resolutions the desktop and rift 2 to accommodate lower quality pcs. and that when the lower resolution is used the software defaults to the lowest video settings. 720p is the resolution used to work along with the asw.

i find curving the screen in virtual desktop takes a lot of cpu power. so having a flat screen, 90 degree size, 1.5 meters away, as in virtual desktop, would allow the vr to be played on a flat screen and would allow low quality pcs to take advantage of the vr. in other words all the pc power requirements comes from curving the screen.

i speculate a ipd adjustable mechanism with ipd to 74 to 50 ipd range. and the glasses size to be 60 mm wide. so a big interior to the rift.

and the psvr head strap system to be used.

the resolution would mirror the hp reverb, so text would be clearer same as it is in the hp reverb.

and the face mask part with the foam will have a opening on the side where glasses arms are. so the arms dont get pressed into the head.

and the controllers can be either the ones the rift uses or the rift s uses.

it will cost about the same as the hp reverb and maybe a bit more because of the better fit it has. maybe 700 American dollars.

35 REPLIES 35

Anonymous
Not applicable
Basically the Half Dome made flesh lol

The Oculus Rift 2

Two 4K displays
Eye tracking
Foveated rendering
140 degree FOV
Physical IPD adjustment
Halo strap
Same form factor as the Rift/S

Released in April/May 2022 for $599

The Oculus Rift 2 S

As above except for improved lenses, a switch to 1 display and a software IPD adjustment.

Released in April/May 2025 for $399

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
As the Half-Dome was developed for the CV1 form factor - would you want this ported for the Rift-S hardware or to fit the Quest form factor?
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Anonymous
Not applicable
Half Dome = Dead Dome.
>:)

Anonymous
Not applicable
The Rift S because the head strap is more comfortable, but either one will do as long as the displays don't make the thing front heavy like the mobile hardware does with the Quest.

I also don't think we'll see the varifocal feature for either one of these headsets.

Dan1018
Adventurer
just give me mechanical IPD and I'm sold, please

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
rift 2 needs three things to be worth the upgrade.

- asw needs to  be paired with no screen curve screen = flat screen to play games on. screen curve is what soaks up the cpu power, its why steamvr is slow for the oculus i think, the steamvr has an additional screen curve it applies to the rift screen curve.

we all want to play triple a games in the rift but the cpu required for two screens and vr and the game is too much for most of our pc power, but remove the largest videocard hog the screen curve and now your talking.

- the fit for the glasses i described

- the mechanical ipd for my ipd which is 72 and for smaller ipd like 60.

these are the most important features needed imho.

saami81
Rising Star
I believe that next Rift will be small step. Just like Rift-S.

What i would do? I would study where Rift-S "failed" and make inside-out tracking as good as possible. Next thing would be obvious resolution and fov increases.

Anonymous
Not applicable
There's plenty of room for glasses with the Rift S so I don't think you'll need to worry about the same for the Rift 2.

There's absolutely no pressure from the arms of your glasses at the sides of your head.

I'm really hoping that Oculus and Facebook will have the same sort of strap and face plate that the Rift S has for the Rift 2.

Anonymous
Not applicable

saami81 said:

I believe that next Rift will be small step. Just like Rift-S.

What i would do? I would study where Rift-S "failed" and make inside-out tracking as good as possible. Next thing would be obvious resolution and fov increases.

We're more likely to see a bigger step up with the Rift 2. The Rift 2 will be the Tock model.