New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

V-Racer Hoverbike - awesome racing game!

RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,701 Valuable Player
edited June 16 in Games and Apps
Just tried my favorite VR racing game, but I'm not a great fan of sims - and this isn't a sim :D  

The graphics are quite good, and of course solid 90 fps are best. On my rig (see my sig) I could set super sampling to 1.6 and max out all other settings and get 90 fps. But setting super sampling to 1.6 in-game isn't the same as getting ss 1.6 in Oculus Tray Tool ;-) Super sampling in-game can be set to values like for example 1.6, 2, 3 and 4. 4 is the same as ss 2.0, while 3 = ss 1.75 and 2 = ss 1.4. 1.6 is probably = ss 1.2. 

No matter what I did, I couldn't get solid 90 fps using ss 2.0 (= "4" in-game), but ss 1.75 (="3") was ok if I disabled (or set to the lowest) all other settings. This wasn't bad - using ss 1.75 you don't need antialiasing (much), and shadows, bloom etc. aren't really important settings in this game. 

The game can be found here - seems to be the most popular racing game on Steam right now:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/668430/VRacer_Hoverbike/

If you have a GTX 1080 (RTX 2060) or better, I'd recommend setting super sampling in-game to 3 (=ss 1.75) and then disable (set to the lowest) all other graphics settings. You can try to max out everything and still keep in-game ss to 3, the fps counter will now measure 45 fps, but the game still performed nicely - I wonder if the game supports asw 2.0. 

This game is played seated only, and probably best seated in a couch, because you need to lean all the way left or right. Using a normal chair you risk falling, but a couch is perfect ;-)

This game isn't for VR beginners - I'd recommend it only to seasoned VR users. This game is fast and there're 360 degrees loops on some tracks - if you're prone to VR nausea, this game probably isn't for you. But it's the most awesome racing experience I've had for a long time - maybe ever, lol.  

Some in-game screenshots (click to enlarge) - yes the game looks this good - and no, a 2080 Ti isn't wasted on this game  B)

Check out the road textures here - quite awesome, right?

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"

Comments

• MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    I'll probably buy/try it out. Just not sure I'd like arcade style always. If there are other modes of play then cool for variety and realism not so fantasy.
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,454
    Project 2501
    Looks good!  I think I'll wait ~1-2 weeks to see if it hits the Steam 2019 Summer Sale.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors. Vive Cosmos, currently work in progress.

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,701 Valuable Player
    edited June 16
    Positive reviews are 9/10 on Steam, but I managed to find one negative review - but to me it's still positive  :D 

"WARNING: Don't buy this game if you have trouble leaning left and right in a 90 degree angle. 
    This game is NOT recommended for anyone with a neck injury, or anyone that will get a neck injury from playing this horrible game since you can only steer from leaning your head. 

The steering is just horrible, with no option to set anything. It has great reviews, but it's just a ♥♥♥♥♥♥ game!"

"Not recommended for anyone with a neck injury" - you don't get such warnings in many games - how cool is that??!  :o  B)

But again - this is VR maybe as hardcore as it gets when it comes to racing. Like riding a real bike, you may need to (nearly) be able to kiss the ground when taking sharp turns, lol. But the immersion you get from that is what makes this game truly shine. 

BTW, this game simply is WipeOut in VR. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

edited June 16
    It goes like this video - just watching the video somehow sends signals to my stomach and I remember everything again, lol - I played the game for about 1 hour last night:

Found a few more screenshots showing what you normally don't see because the game is too fast  ;)

Click to enlarge:

• johnoliver30johnoliver30 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    RuneSR2 said:
    Just tried my favorite VR racing game, but I'm not a great fan of sims - and this isn't a sim :D  

The graphics are quite good, and of course solid 90 fps are best. On my rig (see my sig) I could set super sampling to 1.6 and max out all other settings and get 90 fps. But setting super sampling to 1.6 in-game isn't the same as getting ss 1.6 in Oculus Tray Tool ;-) Super sampling in-game can be set to values like for example 1.6, 2, 3 and 4. 4 is the same as ss 2.0, while 3 = ss 1.75 and 2 = ss 1.4. 1.6 is probably = ss 1.2. 

No matter what I did, I couldn't get solid 90 fps using ss 2.0 (= "4" in-game), but ss 1.75 (="3") was ok if I disabled (or set to the lowest) all other settings. This wasn't bad - using ss 1.75 you don't need antialiasing (much), and shadows, bloom etc. aren't really important settings in this game. 

The game can be found here - seems to be the most popular racing game on Steam right now:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/668430/VRacer_Hoverbike/

If you have a GTX 1080 (RTX 2060) or better, I'd recommend setting super sampling in-game to 3 (=ss 1.75) and then disable (set to the lowest) all other graphics settings. You can try to max out everything and still keep in-game ss to 3, the fps counter will now measure 45 fps, but the game still performed nicely - I wonder if the game supports asw 2.0. 

This game is played seated only, and probably best seated in a couch, because you need to lean all the way left or right. Using a normal chair you risk falling, but a couch is perfect ;-)

This game isn't for VR beginners - I'd recommend it only to seasoned VR users. This game is fast and there're 360 degrees loops on some tracks - if you're prone to VR nausea, this game probably isn't for you. But it's the most awesome racing experience I've had for a long time - maybe ever, lol.  

Some in-game screenshots (click to enlarge) - yes the game looks this good - and no, a 2080 Ti isn't wasted on this game  B)

Check out the road textures here - quite awesome, right?

Really awesome. Thank you.
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,774 Valuable Player
    I bought this a few days ago. I'm still getting the hang of turning properly. 

I always wanted a VR bike game
    i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
  • WildtWildt Posts: 2,066 Valuable Player
    How does it compare to RedOut?
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,568 Valuable Player
    Wildt said:
    That's my exact question. 
    Wildt said:
    That's my exact question. 
    I also got RedOut, but I find V-Racer much better - much easier to handle. RedOut needs a gamepad, while V-Racer works perfectly with Touch. Maybe RedOut has better performance, but not by much. For now I like the gameplay better in V-Racer - the game was built for VR, while RedOut wasn't. V-Racer feels more like WipeOut that RedOut. V-Racer feels exactly like riding a (hover-)bike, especially when you have to physically lean left or right - I don't get that feeling at all in RedOut. Still RedOut is a nice game - but I don't think it's in the same league as V-Racer.  

And I've gotten better at controlling the hoverbike, centered properly the hoverbike  should be easy to control seated in a chair and not a couch ;) 

edited June 17
    Hmm interesting. I may have to give it a go if it's that much better than RedOut. I have Wipeout on PSVR and it's a good time. 
    pyroth309 said:
    Hmm interesting. I may have to give it a go if it's that much better than RedOut. I have Wipeout on PSVR and it's a good time. 

I think you could say that presence is much better in V-Racer than RedOut ;)

• saami81saami81 Posts: 163
    Art3mis
    I have been wanting motorcycle game for VR for a long time and this seems to be best one atm. Too bad it isnt in Oculus store, but i guess Steam version works good enough.

Downloading atm :)
  • LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 465
    Trinity
    I discovered it a few months ago. Great gameplay with great graphics, I would just like it if it had more content. But that's the only flaw, otherwise it's very fun!
    Current VR results imo:
    - Great small apps. Great ports of bigger games.
    - Great VR-specific features. Not enough showcased!!!
    - Too many actors in the industry, the market is totally broken.

My hopes for VR next gen:

- Better ratio between visual quality and power needs. No more godrays and less SDE.
    - Full Body Tracking.

"If you don't mind, do you want me to take you there? Where dreams come true."
    edited June 18
    After installing the game I started it the first time using Steam. After closing the game it was present in my Oculus Home app list with a nice icon (like Doom VFR etc.) - this doesn't happen for all my Steam VR games, but it did for this game.
    Starting the game from Oculus Home I didn't even notice SteamVR starting, like I do when starting Doom VFR, but I guess SteamVR must be running in the background - I didn't check. That's why I'm curious if this game uses Oculus' drivers directly (asw 2.0), currently I don't know. Asw 2.0 would make sense, 45 fps really feel ultra-close to 90.  
    The take home message - if you buy this game it should be integrated in Oculus Home to a degree where you won't see any difference between starting this game or a game bought in the Oculus Store. V-Racer is Early Access - the devs are constantly enhancing the game, right now there're probably like 10 tracks, but more are coming. It does already feel like a full game. 

Ah, back in Oculus Home for a break, but I finally found the perfect settings for my bike. It really turned on my digestive system  :D 
    What you need to do:

1. Change controls from "Head aligned with track" to "Head aligned with bike".
    2. Now change the level of leaning from minimum to the max - yes, all the way to the right!

You should now get the warning "Are you insane!?"  :D But of course we're not insane, we just deactivated the "safe young girl scouts mode" and activated the "pure testosterone/adrenaline hoverbike riding mode"  B)

Art3mis
    My thoughts after 3 hours of playing...

First, there are lots of controlling and comfort options. Im sure that everyone can find combination that suits them well. Personally i use "handlebar (experimental) control scheme.  Head aligned with bike and leaning level to maximum "Are you insane".
    Gameplay is very smooth and bike responses to controls with no lag. Sense of speed is good. I would even say so good, that VR newbies should grow their VR legs before going to maximum immersion setting.

There are 3 different game modes. Time trial (going against clock) with up to 6 ghosts. Combat race where you have pick-ups. Kinda like Mario Kart. And at last Free ride. Its like a practice mode.

I didnt try multiplayer, but briefly checked options and there are also time trial and combat mode options.

Played with Rift-S. No problems with tracking or anything.
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,774 Valuable Player
    When do you use the brake?
    i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
    Art3mis
    MowTin said:
    When do you use the brake?
    When you want to slow down :) In more serious note, similar way as in other racing games. Hard braking before corner. You want to have fastest possible entry speed while still maintaining apex and being able to hit throtle as soon as possible.
    edited June 19
    Zenbane said:
    Looks amazing!

I may just make my triumphant return to Motorcycle gaming... after a several decade hiatus from Excite Bike!

Hmmm, kinda puts things into perspective - I grew up with such games. My sons are going to grow up with this:

Image result for v-racer hoverbike
    My 7-year-old wants to play, maybe I should have a bucket on the floor... Hmmm... 

BTW, I do have another hoverbike, it's also quite cool, but it's no V-Racer - or is it... ?! :o B) Like V-Racer this one requires a 2080 Ti or better for solid 90 fps with all graphics settings maxed - using a CV1 that is:

• WildtWildt Posts: 2,066 Valuable Player
    Zenbane said:
    Looks amazing!

I may just make my triumphant return to Motorcycle gaming... after a several decade hiatus from Excite Bike!

One of the first games I had on my NES as a wee boy :smile:
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,706 Valuable Player
    edited June 19
    What is the multiplayer like does it have a lot of players? I'm of those people who hated Wipeout and I'm not sure why, but this looks different somehow.
    RuneSR2 said:
    Zenbane said:
    Looks amazing!

Hmmm, kinda puts things into perspective - I grew up with such games. My sons are going to grow up with this:

Image result for v-racer hoverbike
    My 7-year-old wants to play, maybe I should have a bucket on the floor... Hmmm... 

BTW, I do have another hoverbike, it's also quite cool, but it's no V-Racer - or is it... ?! :o B) Like V-Racer this one requires a 2080 Ti or better for solid 90 fps with all graphics settings maxed - using a CV1 that is:

I take it back - you actually don't need a 2080 Ti to enjoy Ground Runner Trials with max graphics. Just spent 1 hour in Ground Runner Trials, and although I'm sure it was 45 fps asw 2.0 it totally felt like 90 fps. And I maxed out all graphics settings - including 8xMSAA and forced ss 2.0. Admitted, 8xMSAA may be overkill, but if it works... Actually had an awesome time in the game - highly recommended! In this game you can fire guns, rocket launchers and more while riding your hoverbike, so it's not racing, but more like a first person shooter. 

Wildt said:
    Zenbane said:
    Looks amazing!

One of the first games I had on my NES as a wee boy :smile:
    Same here. Though I played Stunt Cycle on Atari before that lol. 

here's some state of the art  (in 1976) graphics!

edited June 21
     :o  :o :o :o  :o  :o :o :o  :o  :o B)  

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,586 Valuable Player
    ^^^

Saw that on Facebook. Absolutely fantastic!
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • Oops01Oops01 Posts: 76
    Hiro Protagonist
    I love the racing element of it but I'm not so keen on the shooting side of this, I wish someone would make a VR version of moto 19 or one of the serious bike sims. I know there is GP bikes and the feeling of racing is amazing but there is no campaign in it and also its very hard to get an online game.