I have an "extra" right touch controller listed as off with low battery and I can't remove it. — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

I have an "extra" right touch controller listed as off with low battery and I can't remove it.

Dego_LoccDego_Locc Posts: 25
Brain Burst
The extra controller is a phantom... Any Ideas? I unplugged the Rift and plugged it back in. Resynced the controllers. In oculus under devices I have an extra right touch and I can't remove it, says It will remove it from the list however it does not. And I keep getting a critical warning in my headset that the controller is low battery....  It's annoying.

Comments

• mashermetsmashermets Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    I've got that on mine to. It doesn't give me any warnings on battery though
  • OculusSupportOculusSupport Posts: 296 Oculus Staff
    Hello @Dego_Locc and @mashermets,

That doesn't sound normal...would you two be able to grab your Diagnostic logs using these steps, then create a ticket with them attached so we can look into this?

Thanks! -Aidan
  • Dego_LoccDego_Locc Posts: 25
    Brain Burst
    Hello @Dego_Locc and @mashermets,

That doesn't sound normal...would you two be able to grab your Diagnostic logs using these steps, then create a ticket with them attached so we can look into this?

Thanks! -Aidan
    Done and done! Hopefully you guys can get it sorted out. Thanks.
  • Bennydadon1997Bennydadon1997 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Any solution?

• Dego_LoccDego_Locc Posts: 25
    Brain Burst
    Any solution?

Not yet.
  • jbrownsonjbrownson Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I am also having this problem, submitted a ticket and logs
  • willybeans69willybeans69 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I, as well, am encountering this issue. Disconnected my two actual controllers, but this phantom controller continues to exist with 0% battery, a jacked up serial number and no way to remove the device.
  • NiceMitchNiceMitch Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    I have two Oculus Rift S systems, both systems have this same issue on two different PCs. Probably a software bug.
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 732
    3Jane
    I have 25 Right Controllers listed...  and they may or may not have a low battery...
    I have also returned the Rift S for a refund and will buy again once all of the issues are sorted - personally I really liked the clarity/comfort but other issues...

I don't think Oculus did themselves any favours with the Rift S release as what should be very good hardware appears to be suffering a variety of firmware/software related issues.  I'm also reasonably certain that those issues will addressed in good time - but not confident enough currently to be certain.
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, Gigabyte GTX 1080, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Corsair Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD 3K screen)
  • NewnightmaareNewnightmaare Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Same here. When I try to play Darth Immortal I get critical error 0 percent battery on the right controller. I have to reboot the system to get the battery error to go away. Only happens on that game but I do have many extra right controllers. 
  • Soulless512Soulless512 Posts: 83
    Hiro Protagonist
    how do you gather logs?

• sraurasraura Posts: 447
    Trinity
    here is link for instructions
  • Soulless512Soulless512 Posts: 83
    Hiro Protagonist
    i got it
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    I had 1 extra controller when it reverted back to 1.37 but the firmware & update  to 1.38 removed it again. I'm now seeing other errors in onboard Intel GPU Logs and files for XML have lost their associations. In E:D the ice is all grey. Gonna require a new OS install.
  • djsun25djsun25 Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    I have 4 right controllers and the main right one is always low battery. Can't remove all the other ones either. 
  • COLofDUTYCOLofDUTY Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I have the same problem.
  • LameDuckWarriorLameDuckWarrior Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    Multiple right controllers and occasional flash. No other problems however.
  • PugThug316PugThug316 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Any solution for the extra controller? I have a few that won't delete.
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,293 Volunteer Moderator
    Has anybody ever had an extra left controller? It always seems to be right controllers.

I never had it happen, until yesterday when my Rift-S wouldn't start for an hour, then when it did it had 6 right controllers in the device list.

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,083
    Wintermute
    Since I returned my Rift S, uninstalled it (and its controllers) in the app/devices, and went back to my Rift cv1 I still get a right Rift S controller showing up, even if I try to delete it from the list.  At least it does not seem to actually cause any harm though so now I just ignore it.
    Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!
  • chrispnchrispn Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I have the same issue, my devices list has 3 right touch controllers listed now that I can get rid of and this is 4 hours into owning the Rift S. 
  • ZacharyNZZacharyNZ Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited June 28
    I have the same issue, the way I fixed this is delete the whole folder Oculus which under C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Local and restart Oculus. BTW: Don't forget to close Oculus software in task manager before your started
    I hope this will help you guys :)
  • SuperFlueSuperFlue Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    No need to nuke your entire settings to fix this:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/c673bs/psa_how_to_remove_unremovable_devices/

Just in case you don't want to follow random links:
    • Close the Oculus app

• Stop the service "OVRService"

• Go to "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Oculus\"

• Make a backup of the file "DeviceCache.json"

• Open the file with a text editor capable of formatting JSON in a more human readable way (I used "VS Code" with the "Prettify JSON" extension).

• Remove the the device blocks for the broken entries and save

• Start OVRService again

• Start Oculus app again

• Presto no more broken entries. 😁

• LonzoracerLonzoracer Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    I fixed the problem by simplifying SuperFlue's method a bit so you don't have to edit the .json-file:

• Close the Oculus app

• Stop the service "OVRService" (I use OculusTrayTool for that)

• Go to "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Oculus\" (path usually is C:\Users\YOUR_USERNAME\AppData\Local\Oculus\)

• Make a backup of the file "DeviceCache.json" (just in case...)

• Delete the file "DeviceCache.json"

• Start OVRService again

• Start Oculus app again and setup your Rift S and Touch controllers

That annoying and persistent mysterious right Touch controller is gone!

• T-GhostT-Ghost Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Superflue method works for me.

Then phantom controllers came back.

I uninstalled Oculus completely, reinstalled everything again.

Phantom controllers came back with a vengeance: DeviceCache.json was EMPTY! 

The I just did what Lanzoracer said, resolved the issue! 

Let's see how long until phantom controllers come back. 

Excite to pay $400 to be a beta tester for Facebook! Yay! \o/
  • stephen.dumontstephen.dumont Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    yeah, so what worked for me was to quit out of oculus entirely using task manager,  then I deleted C:\Users\[myUserName]\AppData\Local\Oculus\DeviceCache.json  I had to go through the boring setup video, but I was back in business.  I'm probably going to return the thing though, it seems real buggy, can't seem to play any games at all without them crashing.  Also the headgear is super uncomfortable.  
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,293 Volunteer Moderator
    It removes the extra controllers from the cache file for you, no need to edit json manually or delete the cache.