ROGAN: The Thief in the Castle - reviews and impressions — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

ROGAN: The Thief in the Castle - reviews and impressions

RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 2,571 Valuable Player
edited July 5 in Games and Apps
Rogan looks really awesome - launches July 5 in the Oculus Store and on Steam:

Available on Steam:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/966560/ROGAN_The_Thief_in_the_Castle/

and the Oculus Store:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1668330116583564/
Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 2,571 Valuable Player
    edited June 20
    Screenshots, click to enlarge:

Game supports Index, recommended hardware specs, seems to need a beefy cpu much like Lone Echo:

RECOMMENDED:
      • Processor: Intel Core i7 6700K equivalent or greater
      • Memory: 16 GB RAM
      • Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 980 / AMD equivalent or greater
      • DirectX: Version 12
      • Storage: 10 GB available space
      • Additional Notes: VR Headset required, 2x USB 3.0 ports
    STORY
    Blackstone is a castle built for battles located in a remote area of the kingdom. Lord Conrad of Castle Blackstone was once a lionhearted knight, but is now old and sick. 

One night, Conrad was found dead in his study. And it appears that he was murdered. Knight Victoria, known as one of the lord’s most trusted confidants, is suspected to be the culprit. Witnesses saw her running out of his room covered in blood. 

Victoria flees. And of course, Castle Blackstone is on high alert. Everyone is searching for the knight that murdered Lord Conrad and fled. 

It so happens that a thief has also sneaked into the castle. His name is Rogan. By chance, Victoria runs into Rogan during her escape.

Victoria realizes that this thief is her only hope to clear her name. Believing in her innocence, Rogan decides to help Victoria find evidence of the real murderer in Castle Blackstone. 

Will Rogan be able to help her clear her name? 
    Who really murdered Conrad? 

Hold your breath until the end. You may be in for a surprise.
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,477
    Project 2501
    edited June 20
    Wow, July 5th? So soon. Awesome. It looks too good to be true in screenshots and video. I guess we'll soon see. 
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,548 Valuable Player
    It's been on my wishlist for a long time so I might as well take advantage of the sale as I was going to pick it up regardless. =P
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,565 Valuable Player
    edited June 20
    Looks amazing.
    But Vader first!
    WAAAGH!
  • R3df0x_QcR3df0x_Qc Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    On Oculus, the promotion is only 21% why?

Steam 45.49$ -33% = 30.48$ CAD

Oculus 45.99$ -21% = 35.93$ CAD

I will buy my future games on Steam ...

• saami81saami81 Posts: 124
    Art3mis
    R3df0x_Qc said:

I will buy my future games on Steam ...

For european users €39.99 -40% = €23.84 in Oculus store.
                                     €33.99 -33% = €22.77 in Steam store.

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,560 Valuable Player
    Victoria looks rather cool, hopefully once you clear her name you can... invite her out for dinner at the thieves guild. At least playing as Rogan you get to see more of her. Looks fun, but not really steeped in realism with that guard radio chatter. There isn't even an Assassin's Creed like reason for that as far as I can tell. Weird game. 

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    My big problem is Steam or Oculus. Oculus probably brings best performance, but then I lose native Index support. Not easy...

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,090 Valuable Player
    RuneSR2 said:
    My big problem is Steam or Oculus. Oculus probably brings best performance, but then I lose native Index support. Not easy...

I don't think that "native index support" is a real thing, bruh!

Anywho, this title looks fun. But I think I'm going to wait to hear community reviews. I saw the Trailer a few times, and it seems that this title will either be really fun... or such really bad. Can't tell which just yet!
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,732 Valuable Player
    Well personally I'd rather choose to hand her over to the guards. You'll get a reward and a front row seat for her execution, and you won't be risking your life sneaking around the place.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    edited July 1
    Another minor problem is that Defector probably arrives July 11 - it gives me just 6 days to play Rogan before there's something else I'd rather do with my time, lol. 
    Seems like we're in for a great summer :-)

NerveGear
    R3df0x_Qc said:

(RE)Why? No one has an explanation?

I speak for America, because for Europe it seems fair

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,560 Valuable Player
    Seems the discount is still up on the Oculus Store but not on Steam. That's one way I guess. Any how a review here.
    http://thevrrealm.com/reviews/rogan-thief-in-the-castle-review-oculus-rift/

Conclusion
    ROGAN: The Thief in the Castle really does give you the feeling of being a thief, and keeps that feeling by making sure you are still stealing, as you now go on this adventure for a payment. The mechanics behind the few gameplay elements are solid enough to keep you immersed in the detailed world they have created. With my only few niggles coming in the form some of the visual choices and slight audio issue. But, the game brings a story that will keep you interested through your full play-through, which seems short at three hours – but, I think people will play it more than once.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    Just bought some Rogan wine, in a short time I'll be ready for some pure darkness and won't see the SDE on the CV1  :D 

• WildtWildt Posts: 1,903 Valuable Player
    Asus Z370-A ||  Watercooled 8700K || 16 GB gSkill DDR4 3200 || Samsung SSD 840PRO 256GB+850PRO 256GB+850EVO 500GB+970EVO 1TB || Watercooled FE Geforce 1080ti || Zalman Reserator XT watercooler || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3 || Asus ROG PG279Q  G-sync monitor
    edited July 5
    Wildt said:

What's wrong with simple? Due to my anti-SDE treatment (see my previous post), it's not going to be simple, and if I can't download the game soon I risk overdosing the anti-SDE treatment and then even the slightest sneaking will be INCREDIBLY hard!  :D :blush:

edited July 5
    Seems like Rogan is having a rough time - like Seeking Dawn exactly 1 year ago. But I don't think it's justified. Rogan doesn't have anything even remotely close to AAA funding, but nonetheless I think the devs made a really impressive game. Admitted, this is currently a 4 stars game, but I awarded the game 5 stars in the Store to slightly help the devs. Some users gave the game 2 stars on Steam because of the hood - that really wasn't fair, the hood is what makes this game stand out, it's enhancing not reducing immersion. This is my review from the Store, but I've only played the game for an hour and did spend some time on the graphics and the benchmarks:

"The hood is actually quite awesome, takes away the feeling of wearing scuba gear and makes you feel like a real thief. I don't think this game is different from the trailer, at least I wasn't disappointed. Graphics are about as demanding as Seeking Dawn, ok not quite but you get the idea. Using Medium or High settings you activate tesselation, so 2D stones on ground and/or in walls get real 3D surfaces. This is very GPU demanding but looks great. Using a GTX 1080 I forced super sampling 2.0 and used High settings - and the game looked truly awesome - like being present in a real castle. Fps felt like 90 even if it's always 45 thanks to ASW 2.0. I don't think I could play this game without ASW 2.0, even using low settings I get only 45 fps - but that's using super sampling 2.0, which greatly enhances depth perception and image sharpness. If SteamVR doesn't directly support the Oculus drivers, then the Oculus version may perform heads and shoulders better than the SteamVR version. I really don't have performance problems - and the castle looks awesome including the surroundings. Low graphics settings look great too, texture details seem the same as using High, shadows looked nice too - but since I got 45 fps using both Low and High settings I went for High ;-) I'd recommed that the devs make a "Customs" setting for graphics, letting users set up everything according to individual preferences. 
    Gameplay is extremely linear and some levels are very short, so take your time to investigate everything - don't rush through the levels. Using CV1 the sound and music are awesome. Maybe this is somewhat a copy of Thief, but it's still a first for VR.  
    Worst part for me was the controls - controls felt dated. Shadow Legend can show the devs how to implement perfect controls. Do support smooth turning and let us have HMD-directed locomotion. The devs have put in a lot of hours making this game - do give the game a bit more polish and it'll truly shine."

edited July 5
    Saw this review on Steam:

"Pretty much a walking story. Charactor design is cool but the whole game looks like a blurry mess even on the high graphics settings (gtx 1080). Walk around the guards picking up loot for the 3 or 4 chapters got dull quick. Cant recomend this game at this expensive price. All the previews and screenshots of the game before it was released is what got me interested but its so damn blurry its unbearable."

Other Steam users also mentioned that image quality was like a PSVR blurry mess - but it's not on my CV1, image quality is really sharp and awesome, like I can see clearly 100 meters away or so - but I am using very high levels of super sampling. ASW 2.0 + high levels of super sampling may be the saviors of this game until (if ever) devs improve performance. And I didn't notice SDE on the CV1 :-)

NerveGear
    Good news ; the HOOD will be an option in a future patch!
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,090 Valuable Player
    Thanks for posting that review @Wildt

This is why I avoided pre-ordering. Their trailer focused too much on the Cinematics and usually that is a sign that the gameplay may be lacking in an area. I think this part of the review says it all,
    "Rogan’s brand of stealth is a little too streamlined to ever really feel immediate, skilled or dangerous. It’s more like a walking simulator with the occasional roadbump."

I'll wait until I can pick this up for around $10.

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,248 Valuable Player
    RuneSR2 said:
    Saw this review on Steam:

"Pretty much a walking story. Charactor design is cool but the whole game looks like a blurry mess even on the high graphics settings (gtx 1080). Walk around the guards picking up loot for the 3 or 4 chapters got dull quick. Cant recomend this game at this expensive price. All the previews and screenshots of the game before it was released is what got me interested but its so damn blurry its unbearable."

Other Steam users also mentioned that image quality was like a PSVR blurry mess - but it's not on my CV1, image quality is really sharp and awesome, like I can see clearly 100 meters away or so - but I am using very high levels of super sampling. ASW 2.0 + high levels of super sampling may be the saviors of this game until (if ever) devs improve performance. And I didn't notice SDE on the CV1 :-)
    Some VR user still don't know what Super Sampling is by the sounds of it.
    I liked this review from Steam:

"ROGAN: The Thief in the Castle is a decent looking game with basic stealth and detective mechanics.I am playing on a Oculus rift with a 1070 and experienced no issues through playing so far.

The game play reminds me much like the reboot of thief - proceed through the level while avoiding the enemies and picking up petty loot that you find along the way. Additionally there is 3 special pieces of loot to be found throughout each level which are hidden in more discrete parts of levels as you progress which adds a bit of replayablity.

Interaction with the world is just simply holding your hand over question marks to learn more information and grabbing specific objects.This is somewhat disappointing as it would be nice to be able to touch every item to use them to distract,block or harm enemies but it's not much of an issue.

Enemy detection is also quiet basic, it seems to be just line of sight based and its reasonably accurate ( if you poke your head through cracks in wooden walls they can see you) fortunately its quiet easy to move behind them without being seen or just hide in cover as enemies don't have any different states so they won't start looking for you. I believe this is because the game is linear in design so trying to avoid enemies hunting you down could prove to make the game quite difficult to evade from.But we have seen it work very well in budget cuts.

Pros:
    + great character and world design
    + very high quality motion capture 
    + simple but effective gameplay
    + good directional audio
    + good and unique UI

cons:
    - voice acting is a bit poor and forced
    - lacks modern vr gameplay mechanics ( all objects being able to be picked up,enemies being able to chase you)
    - lacks music to add to immersion and atmosphere

Overall i would recommend this game but only at a cheaper price (£15). it provides stunning visuals and a interesting world but it falls short due to its linear story and a aged gameplay mechanics compared to other stealth VR titles.
    7/10"

Most of the bad reviews are made by persons having played the game less than 1 hours, many even just 30 minutes or so. This is the only review from a person spending more than 2 hours in the game (on Steam) - it's also the only current review made using the Valve Index (as far as I've seen):

"So far the game looks beautiful and plays well.

-The set back is the cinematics take control of you, and feel out of reach. Later on in the game you are let loose a bit more. to make your own decisions.

-The looting is very much dumbed down, at least make it so the player has to put it on their own person. breaks immersion to have to put it in a floating orb in front of you.

-The graphics are a tad washed out, i think the game looks WAY better then most others do. but it doesnt quite justify the blurry looks.

-The hood UI has to either go, or be greatly reduced so its only visible slightly. its a nice touch, but annoying for potential viewers on desktop mode, and for the player.

-So far, 2.5 hours into the game (not sure how far that is) no killing weapons besides a throwing dagger that was clearly scripted in.

-The basic strategies so far is : throw item sneak passed
    or Throw item hit guy with stick and take key. It gave me some nostalgic thief feelings too, but as for now. it does not YET earn the title of VR thief.

The reason for the positive review unlike many others, is that the game is very much playable, looks good and better then most games, already has quite the story layed out so far unlike ♥♥♥♥ tons of early acces games. and has a HUGE potential to become THIEF VR if done right.
    So if you got the money to spare and can give it a go, i would suggest that.

If you are low on money and looking for a game to buy, dont do that just yet. maybe in the future
    Sure hope the people are not done developing this yet.

Played with Valve Index.

Here have a small clip of me pretending to be a weapon to dodge an enemy:
    https://clips.twitch.tv/HotDepressedWaspRalpherZ "

NerveGear
    - lacks music to add to immersion and atmosphere
    No, no and no. To have the best experience, you have to turn off the music. We're not in a movie goddammit! You have to focus on the ambient sounds and sound effects. An example among so many others; it lacks sounds when we slowly open the doors...
  • NibGamesNibGames Posts: 29
    Brain Burst
    I pre-ordered the game 2 weeks ago and it's still not in my library, and on the store page it reads "pre-ordered" but no install option. Any idea what I could do until Oculus support replies?
    NibGames said:
    I pre-ordered the game 2 weeks ago and it's still not in my library, and on the store page it reads "pre-ordered" but no install option. Any idea what I could do until Oculus support replies?

This is an error. In your library make sure you can see uninstalled apps and games, now Rogan shows up, click to install. I had the error too. 

• NibGamesNibGames Posts: 29
    Brain Burst
    I already did, it's still not there unfortunately. Appreciate the help though
    NibGames said:
    I already did, it's still not there unfortunately. Appreciate the help though
    Strange indeed, probably not much you can do while waiting for support.

• pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,548 Valuable Player
    Reading the reviews bums me out. It looked like it had potential. Hopefully they can spice it up with some patches.
  • TheSoulHunterTheSoulHunter Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited July 7
    I got to the point where I found Victoria to check on her and now nothing but a black screen even though there are people talking and I can hear myself able to move....then heard end of round money totaling...still nothing.
  • JeremyC85JeremyC85 Posts: 240
    Nexus 6
    They just released a patch tiding up the graphics and making the hood optional. The devs also stated they are very close releasing a full patch that will balance the difficulty / looting among many other small changes. Very refreshing to see a dev take note of a few shortcoming and work to fix them after release.. Ahem.. looking at you, Torn!