Rift S USB driver update recommended warning — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift S USB driver update recommended warning

philrleephilrlee Posts: 6
NerveGear
My Rift S has been working well all week. Today it has started showing an orange indicator in the Devices section. In there it displays the warning:

USB driver update recommended

When I go into the headset it has a warning triangle next to USB. When I hover over the ? it shows the following tooltip:

Your headset is plugged in correctly. If you encounter tracking issues, updating your driver (Intel) may improve performance.

I have made now changes to the PC so don't understand why this message is suddenly being displayed. All my USB drivers are up to date so I'm at a loss on how to fix it. I am currently opted into the PTC and have 1.38.0.256587 installed.

Comments

• cbrookercbrooker Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I have the same problem. Any idea how to fix?
  • MazikarMazikar Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    My normal rift just started doing this, it also will not let me use the touch controllers or use the sensors I am stuck just being able to look around. The odd thing is it was working fine without the touch controllers so I rebooted the system to see if the touch controllers would work (this always cured this issue in the past) and then all the other cables said they were showing poor performance. No idea how to fix this yet, sent a ticket. 
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 732
    3Jane
    edited June 28
    Prior to my returning my Rift S for a refund (which is sad!) the only time it would work correctly was when it was showing orange with a USB driver update warning.  If the 'button' was green, it wouldn't work and eventually turn red...

Sadly it would appear the company from which I bought the S will take best part of a month from return to refund...  Yet wouldn't accept payment on those sort of terms...  (just bleating as online purchasing is a minefield :) )

Apologies to the supplier - the refund was immediate!
    My bank of course sees no urgency in processing the refund :p
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, Gigabyte GTX 1080, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Corsair Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD 3K screen)
  • darbosssdarbosss Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    I have had the s since day 1. Haven't had any issues but I'm getting this now too. It's working fine but I'm getting the update usb drivers. Everything is up to date. What is the fix Oculus? 
  • RosgilliesRosgillies Posts: 124
    Art3mis
    On PTC mine stalls on the latest update at 11 of 11 2/3rds of the way through, making me do a repair and full download to get going again. Dont know why I`m typing this, Oculus staff wont even reply to my support ticket!
  • mclizenmclizen Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    edited June 29
    Same issue here suddenly, been working great since day 1. Win 1903 (18362.207). All latest drivers and Bios, Intel / Nvidia.
    Rift Firmware 1.7.1. Oculus Beta 1.39.0.263246
    Intel USB 3.1. MS driver: 2019-06-19 (10.0.18362.207)

• Buli76Buli76 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Hi,
    I have same issue after apply today 2019-06 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1903 for x64-based Systems (KB4503293). So i changed USB port and finally warning gone but tracking issue still exist. I take all steps what i find on forums, but none worked. So i reverted system form my backup to yesterday state and voila all runs fine! So this is not hardware related problem. I think this is faulty driver Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller dated 2019-06-19, wich installed with that update. Good working driver is dated 2019-03-18 ver (10.0.18362.1).
  • sraurasraura Posts: 447
    Trinity
    Hmm... well why would I mind about "USB driver update recommended"-message when everything seems to work fine with driver which is dated 2019-06-19? One might assume that oculus software is the one out of date here... Just ignore the "warning"?
  • Buli76Buli76 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Indeed really strange. I pushed again that 2019-06  cumulative update and again pop me that "USB driver update recommended", but as a @sraura said everything seems to work fine. No tracking issue... for now i ignore it and do some test runs.
  • glavcevsglavcevs Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Having the same Usb driver upgrade recomendation... I think Started getting them after updating Windows to 1903 at some point. Oculus rift s seems to be wotking ok, but this message driving me crazy.
    Tried repairing oculus software, tried reinstalling usb driver and letting windows install itself...nothing...
  • sraurasraura Posts: 447
    Trinity
    Why don't you just ignore it if everything is working ok ?
  • glavcevsglavcevs Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    It looks ok, havent yet fully tested it. But yes, ignoring it for now, for a week more, at least. Will wait for some kind of update from Oculus team on this matter. (i think, due to new driver from microsoft, ocusul software doesnt recognise it)
  • Aka-SerbaAka-Serba Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Same here USB driver update recommended how can i fix this ??
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,293 Volunteer Moderator
    I had this appear after I installed Windows 10 1903 update yesterday. I've got the latest usb drivers that are available for my AMD motherboard, but I get the Oculus warning.

• philrleephilrlee Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    As an update, I needed to reinstall Windows 10 for other reasons. I decided to install 1903. After a clean install with all drivers updated I installed the Oculus software and setup the Rift S. Everything looked OK for the first 2 days then the orange indicator reappeared. I don't seem to be having any performance issues, I just don't like having a warning.
  • Pic0oPic0o Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    I had this orange warning too, before I applied the DisplayPort 1.3 and 1.4 update for my Nvidia 1080Ti.
    https://www.nvidia.com/object/nv-uefi-update-x64.html

It didn't seem to cause any actual issues but I wanted to share in case others were on similar hardware.
  • FinalFlightFinalFlight Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Pic0o said:
    I had this orange warning too, before I applied the DisplayPort 1.3 and 1.4 update for my Nvidia 1080Ti.

It didn't seem to cause any actual issues but I wanted to share in case others were on similar hardware.
    This fixed my issue and no more pesky orange warning. Also on a 1080Ti
  • RosgilliesRosgillies Posts: 124
    Art3mis
    Pic0o said:

This fixed my issue and no more pesky orange warning. Also on a 1080Ti
    1080ti update applied. Still got an orange light warning in Oculus menu.
  • Initial-DInitial-D Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    edited July 7
    This happens only when on PTC under Windows 10 1903. As soon as you revert to non-Beta Oculus software OR Windows 1809 this goes away. If you don't have issues while this notification is on then no point in worrying, probably a false positive. Intel eXtensible host controller has no drivers for Win 10, they are distributed by microsoft directly in partnership with intel I presume as their site says: Windows* 8, Windows* 8.1, and Windows® 10 have a native in-box USB 3.0 driver. Intel is not releasing a specific Intel® USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver for Windows 8, 8.1, or 10

Oculus app version 1.39.0.265772 (1.39.0.265772)
    Rift S 1.8.0
    Touch 1.12.1
    Windows 10 - 1903
  • chris_hansenchris_hansen Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    edited July 7
    Just as an aside - I was running my rift s on an intel mobo and getting this warning but I upgraded to a pci e 3.1 gen2 usb card and this warning went away.
    NerveGear
    Just as an aside - I was running my rift s on an intel mobo and getting this warning but I upgraded to a pci e 3.1 gen2 usb card and this warning went away.
    Interesting but I would speculate even USB 3.0 should be ample for Rift S
  • philrleephilrlee Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Initial-D said:
    This happens only when on PTC under Windows 10 1903. As soon as you revert to non-Beta Oculus software OR Windows 1809 this goes away.
    I have this issue and am running 1.38, am not on the PTC  and have 1903 installed.
    NerveGear
    philrlee said:
    Initial-D said:
    This happens only when on PTC under Windows 10 1903. As soon as you revert to non-Beta Oculus software OR Windows 1809 this goes away.
    I have this issue and am running 1.38, am not on the PTC  and have 1903 installed.
    so something changed with 1903, might still be a trivial bug as performance is still good, no side effects so far
  • clemencaclemenca Posts: 25
    Brain Burst
    edited July 10
    Got this message today after ms update on my windows 10 prof 1809, have latest intel driver on my system... Oculus-App-Version 1.38.0.261476 (1.38.0.261476)
    After a restart under settings/beta/Oculus restart, the message was gone
  • MrBluePlaydohMrBluePlaydoh Posts: 31
    Brain Burst
    I fixed this!
    ok Goto device manager and find what USB it’s telling you to update and click uninstall. You have to restart PC and when it starts up it will auto update that driver and it will be fixed.  Just make sure you don’t have the oculus app running but leave it plugged in
    NerveGear
    I fixed this!
    ok Goto device manager and find what USB it’s telling you to update and click uninstall. You have to restart PC and when it starts up it will auto update that driver and it will be fixed.  Just make sure you don’t have the oculus app running but leave it plugged in
    What device (exact name please) did you uninstall?

The Intel® USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller doesn't have any updates.
  • clemencaclemenca Posts: 25
    Brain Burst
    edited July 11
    Same bug today morning:

Rift S USB driver update recommended

Restarted Rift under settings/beta/Oculus restart, then message is gone again
    Very strange, Oculus can you fix this, and btw can you fix the flickering bug too!

Brain Burst
    Initial-D said:
    I fixed this!
    What device (exact name please) did you uninstall?

The Intel® USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller doesn't have any updates.
    Which ever one it tells you, click it then uninstall in device manager
    Brain Burst
    clemenca said:
    Same bug today morning:

Rift S USB driver update recommended

Restarted Rift under settings/beta/Oculus restart, then message is gone again
    Very strange, Oculus can you fix this, and btw can you fix the flickering bug too!

Didn’t work 👍
    Brain Burst
    Just enrolled on that public beta thing and the problem has gone. Funny how I didn’t update the drivers like it asked lol