How do you enable 4k on a television to play games in 4k? — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

How do you enable 4k on a television to play games in 4k?

RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,248 Valuable Player
edited June 23 in Off-Topic
I just got a Samsung Qled 4k television today and the first thing I wanted to do was to play my games in 4k obviously. I went into the Nvidia setting but I can only set the resolotion to 1920 x 1080? Also when I go into the setting of a game I can only go to 1920 x 1080p? How on earth do you play games in 4k LoL? I really have no idea how to do this. Cheers!

Comments

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,113 Volunteer Moderator
    Have you connected your pc to the TV mate ? All connected with the HDMI ?
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,755 Volunteer Moderator
    Also, make sure you are using an HDMI cable that is 4K compatible, not all cables are made equal. 
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,560 Valuable Player
    Out of interest what GPU are you running and what TV did you get? Just wait until you game in 4K with HDR enabled. Really nice on my Sammy 49".

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    Also, make sure you are using an HDMI cable that is 4K compatible, not all cables are made equal. 
    Yup like what he said = https://www.amazon.co.uk/cord-Snowkids-Compatible-Ethernet-Function-PlayStation-Grey/dp/B07Q8FQC27/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=4k+hdmi&qid=1561148810&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,248 Valuable Player
    edited June 21
    Sorry for the late reply just being trying to get this to work with no success yet. I'll read through what you have suggested and let you now how I get on. Even when I right click on desktop for display option all it shows me is 3 monitors instead of the proper display settings. Then when I click on a monitor it does nothing. Cheers!
    @Shadowmask72 - It's a Samsung Qled 55 6FN and I'm using a Gigabyte 2080ti G1 gaming. Just wish I could get it to run in 4k :)
    Edit: Just want to add I'm using DP to Hdmi and it said it was 4k compatible?
    edited June 21
    @LZoltowski - Ah it's the lead I think. I have this one (below) I don't think it can do 4k can it? Can I use DP to hdmi and which one would you recommend? It has to be about 9ft. Cheers all!

edited June 21
    Try to avoid converting DP x HDMI, they are completely different signals and the conversion reduces badnwith.

The cable you have is passive and only does 1080p.

HDMI to HDMI would be best (at least 1.4a)
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

edited June 22
    @LZoltowski - The only problem with that is, I can't get my Oculus Rift running on a DP for some reason. I use Hdmi extensions for Oculus Rift, but each time I've tried to use DP extensions the Cv1 displays don't come on.
    How do I get Oculus Rift running on a DP is there another way?
    edited June 22
    Hey
    for the love of God can someone please help me out with this? My graphics card only has one Hdmi port that I have to use for Rift CV1 because it doesn't work in a display port.
    I have now purchased an active DP to Hdmi to try and get my samsung TV working in 4k for 2D games. I finally got my games to work in 4K, but when I try to switch to 4K and 60Hz refresh rate in the Nvidia control panel, it just kicks me back to 30Hz refresh? I know this television is capable of 4K 60 Hz, but how do I get it to do it?
    What port do you have your Rift Cv1 connected to and what port do you have your 4K television connected to? Are you able to get 4K 60Hz in Nvidia control panel?
    RedRizla said:
    Hey
    for the love of God can someone please help me out with this? My graphics card only has one Hdmi port that I have to use for Rift CV1 because it doesn't work in a display port.
    I have now purchased an active DP to Hdmi to try and get my samsung TV working in 4k for 2D games. I finally got my games to work in 4K, but when I try to switch to 4K and 60Hz refresh rate in the Nvidia control panel, it just kicks me back to 30Hz refresh? I know this television is capable of 4K 60 Hz, but how do I get it to do it?
    What port do you have your Rift Cv1 connected to and what port do you have your 4K television connected to? Are you able to get 4K 60Hz in Nvidia control panel?

I don't know of any converters that work in 60hz ... everyone I know of only does 30hz at 4K

This one says 60hz ????

UGREEN Active DP to HDMI Cable, 4K 60Hz 2 Meter Displayport to HDMI Adapter Cable with Zinc Alloy Shell Support AMD Eyefinity Multi-Screen Technology for Graphic Card, Desktop Computer, etc https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078M18G5F/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_THNdDbZHTJ9S8

@Techy111 - Yes I saw that one but I need 5m. Are you only running at 30Hz when you use your 4k television or don't you use your tlevision for 4k for games?
    @LZoltowski - Surely DP must support 60Hz or what was the point in switching from Hdmi to DP on graphics cards? There will be a lot of people playing on television that are able to support 4K at 60Hz.
    This wouldn't be a problem if my Oculus Rift worked on a DP, but it doesn't. Are Rift CV1's supposed to work on DP because I can only get it working on a Hdmi port.
    edited June 22
    I run (well used to at least) my Rift using a DP to HDMI converter with the HDMI used for the PC /TV.

The convertor -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00K0UDYLM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The HDMI Cable

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00JEB6MQW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

@Shadowmask72 - How long was the Hdmi cable you used for CV1 with that DP to Hdmi connector? Was it 1.5 or longer?
    edited June 22
    DP- HDMI converter used the standard CV1 cable. And the HDMI cable from PC to TV 1.5m.

edited June 22
    I just ordered a couple more cables one that @Shadowmask72 recommended and another DP to Hdmi that a couple of amazon reviewers said works with 4K at 60Hz. Hopefully one of them will work.
    Here's the one a few reviewers says works at 4k 60Hz, even though the advertisement says 30Hz.

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 2,571 Valuable Player
    edited June 23
    I also had trouble getting my 4K player working correctly, when I got my 4K TV, this cable solved everything - top-ranked on Amazon and isn't expensive:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01CVQNJSK/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_dp_1

Still haven't tried setting up my rig to the 4K TV, rig is in the basement (man cave), wife doesn't want ugly noisy low-feng-shui rig in living room where 4K TV is placed (admitted, just made up the low-feng-shui part, but it kind of fits in ;)) I don't want the kids to constantly use the TV for gaming and currently I'm not into pancakes - so for now I can't help connecting a rig.
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    edited June 23
    @RedRizla Any reason why you are going for 4.5M the longer it is the more chances it won't work properly when you add the 4.5 to the Rift cable? The HP Reverb Cable is short for that very reason. Also why opt for an adapter that isn't listed as 60hz compatible? You're trusting Amazon reviewers?

Anyhow, it should work fine and dandy. Keep us posted. Without searching, was it you who made that thread about 4K gaming getting you back into 2D gaming from VR? There is quite the difference in my view (not so much with the HP Reverb) but games look stellar in 4K with max settings and HDR. Feel free to sub to my YT channel as I do the Majority  of my just gameplay uploads in 4K for quite some time now.

edited June 23
    @Shadowmask72 - The television is wall mounted and away from the Pc so that's why I had to go long. I can confirm though that this cable worked for me (below) and I am getting 4k at 60Hz. So if anyone else is after a DP to Hdmi for 4k at 60Hz this cable worked for me. I got the 4.5m one and so far it's working great and hope if you get one that it works for you too.
    Edit: Just want to add that 2D games look stunning in 4k and I can see myself playing a lot more 2D games now. My previous television was a Sony Bravia 1080p that was 5 years old. The difference is like night and day coming from that television.

Sounds great, maybe I'll get a PS5 later and test some 4k gaming, unless the Index honeymoon days extend way into 2021, lol 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

edited June 23
    @RuneSR2 - Yes it's better then I thought it would be and makes games look so different. I'm still going to use my 1080p projector to watch movies on though because I can't beat a 100" screen for watching movies on. There's also not a lot of difference from a 1080p projector and a 4k one from what I've seen of them in shops.
    I also suffer eye strain when looking at a television screen for too long and that's what I've found with this Samsung Qled. Still it's great for games and watching a television series on where I can take breaks from looking at the screen. Do you know of anyway of reducing eye strain on these televisions? I don't get that with my projector because the light is being beamed onto a wall and not directly at me like on a television.
    edited June 23
    Well I knew you would say this. And I just checked your history and it was you who made the thread would a bigger TV get you back into pancake gaming. I think you've just answered as expected. Massive difference compared to 1080p and the clarity details are just much better than VR can achieve at present. Although should be viewed as different mediums really.

However, once you game 2160p HDR you will be blown away in some games that support it; well if you can get it working properly that is. It's often a little fiddly and takes some time for the eyes to adjust to the differences in tones. But once your eyes settle, the details are just superior to SDR. You almost get a pseudo 3D effect in some instances. 

Assassin's Creed Odyssey is a good game to try as is Resident Evil 7. Mass Effect Andromeda. There are actually plenty of good games which support HDR now.

edited June 23
    @shadowmask72 - Yes that's the next thing I'm going to look at doing trying to get HDR to work. Do you know of any quick guide to getting this to work correctly?
    RedRizla said:
    @RuneSR2 - Yes it's better then I thought it would be and makes games look so different. I'm still going to use my 1080p projector to watch movies on though because I can't beat a 100" screen for watching movies on. There's also not a lot of difference from a 1080p projector and a 4k one from what I've seen of them in shops.
    I also suffer eye strain when looking at a television screen for too long and that's what I've found with this Samsung Qled. Still it's great for games and watching a television series on where I can take breaks from looking at the screen. Do you know of anyway of reducing eye strain on these televisions? I don't get that with my projector because the light is being beamed onto a wall and not directly at me like on a television.
    HDR will give you a lot of extra brightness - QLED generally has more brightness than my Sony TV, but the Sony has more than enough brightness for me - my wife thought she needed to uses sunglasses when watching some HDR movies, lol. You can try to deactivate HDR if possible, often I don't think HDR is so important, but it differs between movies. My Sony 4K player makes it possible to disable or enable HDR. In fact I changed Netflix to 2K instead of 4K to avoid HDR, I felt HDR was too much (also because the Sony processors do a great job making HDR effects in non-HDR material). 
    Or maybe you can create a custom setup with reduced brightness? I haven't experienced eye strain from the Sony 85", I sit about 9 feet (3 meters) from it. Another way is to turn on a lamp or two instead of sitting in the dark - if that doesn't ruin the experience.