Rift S Software Updating Issue — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift S Software Updating Issue

OculusSupportOculusSupport Posts: 296 Oculus Staff
edited June 21 in Support
We know some of our Rift S users were experiencing issues installing/updating the Oculus app on desktop. If you were affected and the Oculus application is installed but not working, we now have a fix available. Follow these steps:
  1. Launch the Oculus Installation Software (OculusSetup.exe) from your computer or download from the Oculus site.
  2. The Oculus installer will indicate that the Oculus application has already been installed. From here, click the Repair option.
  3. Setup will ask for confirmation that you want to repair the installation. Click Repair.
  4. The Oculus Software will begin the installation. Once it has completed, the Oculus application will come up successfully.
Hope this helps and if you’re still running into any trouble, please reach out to our support team here.
Thanks for your patience,
Oculus Support

Comments

• MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    edited June 21
    That has always been an existing fix for issues. Are you all on holiday or what? My RIFT S is already on it's way back to you as a precaution if any damage has been caused by the bad software/firmware. You haven't stated here anything of Blackscreens and what you've found from the units returned to you. In my mind, all I needed to know was "hold onto your devices as the ones we got back are fine so it was the installs on the PCs that got messed up and it would work on any future update or fresh install of your OS."
    Something like that. Not like use "Setup>Repair".
    I had all this 2yrs ago with old RIFT but held on as it was already second-hand so no choice but on this time I really do not wish to get caught out by any damage it caused.

It was that exact procedure which crippled my RIFT S as it Updated, then Downdated, I clean it and reinstalled it and still Blackscreen same as CV1 2yrs ago.
    Wintermute
    edited June 21
    BTW I also have a webcam in Skype which progressively worsened to render when starting up. I found out I had to use TERMINATE within APP&FEATURES>Skype>Adavanced Settings...TERMINATE!
    Your OTT does similar job by restarting the Services but even your BETA>RESTART OCULUS never kept up fixing it which it did for at least 2weeks. It was a progressively worsening problem and all you have done (on holiday) is suggest how Users can install the APP. 2 or 3 weeks later they will be BLACKSCREENS!!!
    Wintermute
    edited June 21
    You have released 1.38.1 (that is a round up of the real version btw: Oculus app version 1.38.0.256587)
    Nothing is listed in notes to say if it has fixed anything. You did not announce anything about it either.
    Therefore, I am still fortunate the RIFT S was sent back for your total lack of information (whilst you're on holiday!)
    New Firmware for RIFT S added? - I don't know as I can't test it now can I.
    So who is working on the Features?...
    BROKEN PULL-OUT
    NO STRAFE
    NO ONLINE FRIEND'S LOBBY (e.g. THE STORE)
    2 THUMB-STICKS TO RECENTRE AS MOST GAMES DO
    KEYBIND FOR PASS-THRU
    NEW KEYBIND FOR MIXED PASS-THRU
    VOICE COMMANDS
    OPTION FOR NO HOME TO LOAD
    OPTION TO HAVE NO TOUCH BATTERY WARNINGS (which levels need fixed and total power off too when unused)

Wintermute
    FIX THIS WHEN BACK FROM YOUR HOLS...

Wintermute
    edited June 21
    My update 1.38.1 is stuck on PENDING. I suppose this thread is just about that I see.
    You gave us no clue as updates have different names to one after installed as they round up numbers!
    Also we all get these at different times globally so have no clue which Update what this refers to!

• mavrik1984mavrik1984 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    edited June 21
    yes it worked
  • Dr.Hippo404Dr.Hippo404 Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    As silly as it sounds, doing the repair today (although I did it multiple times before) actually fixed my software install issues. I think there must have been a patch alongside this post or something.
  • sraurasraura Posts: 447
    Trinity
    Maybe they fixed the äöåéíü and similar characters in windows username issue. Seems rather many were/are affected by that.
    Wintermute
    edited June 21
    @mavrik1984 have you had an Update today? They will call all these updates rounded up to 1.38.1 but has gone from 1.38.0.256587 to 1.38.0.261476
    NOW THEN...this sucker does not AUTO-UPDATE and so we must use the fix we've all known and tried prior for even this to INSTALL.
    (a shit storm and no mention of what it fixes if anything) For they always installed but BLACKSCREEN I think is worse!
  • NepharyelNepharyel Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    My only problem with the Rift S is that the mic dont work after around 30 minutes and i have to unplug and plug the rift S again that it works...pls fix this! I need the mic for my VR Streams!
  • OculusSupportOculusSupport Posts: 296 Oculus Staff
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    My update 1.38.1 is stuck on PENDING. I suppose this thread is just about that I see.
    You gave us no clue as updates have different names to one after installed as they round up numbers!
    Also we all get these at different times globally so have no clue which Update what this refers to!

Hi MAC_MAN86!
    We do appreciate your feedback and we would very much like to help you. Can you please reach out to our support team? You can do it from here.

All the Best,
    Oculus Support
  • Soulless512Soulless512 Posts: 83
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited June 21
    Try having oculus home saying you need to update usb drivers when I quite literally just updated my chipset drivers that has all that in it. Oculus you might want to fire your QA team for letting such garbage of patches get released. Sorry, but not sorry, I did not spend $428 on this headset to not be able to use it at all. It was working just fine before this latest patch.
  • V12-StevenXV12-StevenX Posts: 25
    Brain Burst
    edited June 22
    Thanks! Now all working fine!! Except from sporadic white static flashes that we hope you’ll fixing in next update 😊

• andrew1977auandrew1977au Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited June 22
    I've got no issues with Rift S, after the update i unplugged the usb and displayport and reconnected, all working fine. I've always disconnected and reconnected any peripherals after an update as a precaution.  I also make sure all my hardware drivers and bios is up to date, but take note of when the drivers were released as using drivers from say msi for your motherboard are likely outdated, do your research and find the most up to date driver for each part of your hardware, this is most important.

Soulless512 - i have sent to a message, im happy to try and help you to get it sorted.

Regards Andrew 
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 732
    3Jane
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    I am still fortunate the RIFT S was sent back...

Then you are in the same boat as me...
    What's the point in bleating if you no longer have the hardware, give it a rest, please!
    We'll no doubt get the Rift S again in a few months when the issues have been addressed...   stop behaving as if your girlfriend jilted you and enjoy life in the mean-time :)
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, Gigabyte GTX 1080, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Corsair Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD 3K screen)
    Wintermute
    edited June 22
    Im not bleating but pointing out what this update is a fix for which Oculus don't state. Keep up. I still own CV1 no issues but upon all this driver updates has some issues with colour so will do fresh OS. 
  • thumbassthumbass Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    So...with the new patch it finishes installing...the runtime service is running but once the install is done it checks the status of my oculus app and then fails...I tried to reinstall twice ...I also notice that no appdata/local, appdata/locallow or appdata/Roaming Oculus folders ever get created
    Wintermute
    edited June 22
    Yes for me it lost XML associations so I can't alter GraphicsonfigurationOverride to try reset ToeDenominator.
  • HanoverHanover Posts: 549
    Neo
    My touch controllers stopped working.  I can see my hands right in front of my eyes, and they don't track correctly anymore.  I haven't been able to use my Rift since the last update.  Like others, I'm slowly turning my attention to the Index.  Oculus's attention obviously waned from the Rift to the Quest.
  • sraurasraura Posts: 447
    Trinity
    Hanover said:
    My touch controllers stopped working.  I can see my hands right in front of my eyes, and they don't track correctly anymore.  I haven't been able to use my Rift since the last update.  Like others, I'm slowly turning my attention to the Index.  Oculus's attention obviously waned from the Rift to the Quest.
    It did that after 1.38.0 update (after all devices got firmware update), but restarting computer fixed the issue at least for me.
  • rayBLAST-RrayBLAST-R Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Imports have stopped working from the Oculus Home -> _Import directory. Custom home environment templates stopped importing. I can only view the built-in templates now. I can't even see the Oculus provided examples either.
    Wintermute
    edited June 22
    Upon installing fresh Win1903 I found Win Updates install a INTEL GRAPHICS CONTROL PANEL in Apps&Features.
    I don't use the onboard INTEL UHD 630 as I got the GTX1080. The Intel Driver is 25.20.100.6374 of 18/11/18 and I know this already may be not the correct date as now DEVICES do not show the updates once they use Apps&Features and there was another available this year in May if I used MS Online Auto-Search. It appears to have installed 25.20.100.6615 of 2/6/19 as listed on Dell site. There is no way of knowing when DEVICES is not also updating this info. Same for my BIOS which it doesn't report is now 1.1.6 rather than 1.1.4 although BIOS can confirm this. So if there is still a conflict with INTEL it is with this latest Driver. Tests will tell if I buy another RIFT S.

I now prefer to only use Updates from PC manufacturer and NOT by MS searches.
    So instead I use Dell Update Tool (this should have been all you need to check and at the top of their list here not in the middle!)
    https://www.dell.com/support/home/uk/en/19/product-support/product/xps-8930-desktop/drivers

It installed 4 Updates but fails for the INTEL DRIVER. I think it's due to the INTEL GRAPHICS CONTROL PANEL as it still does not update it even if I Disable the NVIDIA!
    It seems like it is never switching back to the INTEL ever for normal Desktop use but just perhaps that Control Panel which also won't open is preventing RIFT S to work (mine is sent back so can't test).

EDIT: ok I tried Reboot and ran it again and this time it didn't need Updating. Re-Enabled Nvidia again and Rebooted to test run Update and sure enough it didn't pick the INTEL up to need updating so it simply needed a REBOOT in order to complete it's install and not report as "failed". It actually has a "Auto-Restart" tick box for stuff like that although BIOS Firmware didn't require that obviously as that's it's job which did 3 Restarts to get back into Windows.
  • brandon.wingertbrandon.wingert Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Imports have stopped working from the Oculus Home -> _Import directory. Custom home environment templates stopped importing. I can only view the built-in templates now. I can't even see the Oculus provided examples either.
    I am having the same problem. 
  • GG_ChiefGG_Chief Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Server closed connection
    Browser process crashed with exception: Error: Cannot find module '../screen'
    Error: Cannot find module '../screen'
        at Module._resolveFilename (module.js:470:15)
        at Function.Module._resolveFilename (C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-client\resources\electron.asar\common\reset-search-paths.js:35:12)
        at Function.Module._load (module.js:418:25)
        at Module.require (module.js:498:17)
        at require (internal/module.js:20:19)
        at Object.get [as screen] (C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-client\resources\electron.asar\browser\api\exports\electron.js:11:16)
        at i (C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-client\resources\app.asar\output\app.js:1:260612)
        at f (C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-client\resources\app.asar\output\app.js:1:226887)
        at new p (C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-client\resources\app.asar\output\app.js:1:227356)
        at R.openSplashWindow (C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-client\resources\app.asar\output\app.js:1:127481)
    I checked the error log and found this. Any help?
    Wintermute
    edited June 24
    Upon addressing ongoing issues with needing 2 Boots for Startup after adding my 10yr old Music DAW Card and can't WAKE from SLEEP, I came across this...I had altered the Power Sleep Settings and indeed Fast Startup is selected as Default.

You might like to test Resetting Power Options via: -
    Search "Troubleshoot Settings" in Start >Troubleshoot>(scroll down to) POWER and click to reset times OR go to Power and Restore Default Settings.
    Also this to stop Fast Start!
    https://windows101tricks.com/windows-10-wont-wake-up-from-sleep-mode/

See if it also helps BLACKSCREENS.

Hmmm, still not fixed and running Intel Graphics Control Panel tells me nothing is using it.
    Need to speak to Indian Lady at DELL. None of the UK staff know anything.
    Think this is a conflict with Nvidia still. May need to prevent MS updating it!

Wintermute
    edited June 23
    @OculusSupport I just installed fresh Windows and Oculus and already Elite is stuck trying to complete the Install as it was along with some others already installed on 2nd Drive. All it's trying to do is check if C++2013 is already installed.

PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU FIX THESE GAMES UPDATE ISSUES!
    IT IS JUST CRAP HAVING TO DOWNLOAD GAMES OVER AGAIN!

Your latest and "greatest" install only installed both C++2013 & 64bit C++2015 [*by another game]
    That's pathetic for what all the games use yet you got them all in the package! [*had]
    Get the DEVs on here please we need to have words...

Just checked Redist Folder in Oculus and it has NONE! Just DotNetFramework install !!!
    MORE SABOTAGE???
  • palmmodifypalmmodify Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited June 23
    t
    Wintermute
    edited June 24
    Now after installing all Games it puts the needed REDISTS in that folder. However, when Permissions go wonky (they will) it will again lose connection to those and require they are all installed again manually. Just sort it out that they can all just check properly. There's about 5 or 6 games that do not follow this logic. Many are the Oculus ones!
  • GG_ChiefGG_Chief Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    Upon addressing ongoing issues with needing 2 Boots for Startup after adding my 10yr old Music DAW Card and can't WAKE from SLEEP, I came across this...I had altered the Power Sleep Settings and indeed Fast Starup is selected as Default.

You might like to test Resetting Power Options via: -
    Search "Troubleshoot Settings" in Start >Troubleshoot>(scroll down to) POWER and click to reset times OR go to Power and Restore Default Settings.
    Also this to stop Fast Start!
    https://windows101tricks.com/windows-10-wont-wake-up-from-sleep-mode/

See if it also helps BLACKSCREENS.

Hmmm, still not fixed and running Intel Graphics Control Panel tells me nothing is using it.
    Need to speak to Indian Lady at DELL. None of the UK staff know anything.
    Think this is a conflict with Nvidia still. May need to prevent MS updating it!

Tried it all, didn't work. I have made a thread for this topic: https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/77643/black-screen-in-the-oculus-app/p1?new=1