cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S Software Updating Issue

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager
We know some of our Rift S users were experiencing issues installing/updating the Oculus app on desktop. If you were affected and the Oculus application is installed but not working, we now have a fix available. Follow these steps:
  1. Launch the Oculus Installation Software (OculusSetup.exe) from your computer or download from the Oculus site.
  2. The Oculus installer will indicate that the Oculus application has already been installed. From here, click the Repair option.
  3. Setup will ask for confirmation that you want to repair the installation. Click Repair.
  4. The Oculus Software will begin the installation. Once it has completed, the Oculus application will come up successfully.
Hope this helps and if you’re still running into any trouble, please reach out to our support team here.
Thanks for your patience,
Oculus Support
If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!
89 REPLIES 89

Anonymous
Not applicable
That has always been an existing fix for issues. Are you all on holiday or what? My RIFT S is already on it's way back to you as a precaution if any damage has been caused by the bad software/firmware. You haven't stated here anything of Blackscreens and what you've found from the units returned to you. In my mind, all I needed to know was "hold onto your devices as the ones we got back are fine so it was the installs on the PCs that got messed up and it would work on any future update or fresh install of your OS."
Something like that. Not like use "Setup>Repair".
I had all this 2yrs ago with old RIFT but held on as it was already second-hand so no choice but on this time I really do not wish to get caught out by any damage it caused.

It was that exact procedure which crippled my RIFT S as it Updated, then Downdated, I clean it and reinstalled it and still Blackscreen same as CV1 2yrs ago.

Anonymous
Not applicable
BTW I also have a webcam in Skype which progressively worsened to render when starting up. I found out I had to use TERMINATE within APP&FEATURES>Skype>Adavanced Settings...TERMINATE!
Your OTT does similar job by restarting the Services but even your BETA>RESTART OCULUS never kept up fixing it which it did for at least 2weeks. It was a progressively worsening problem and all you have done (on holiday) is suggest how Users can install the APP. 2 or 3 weeks later they will be BLACKSCREENS!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable
You have released 1.38.1 (that is a round up of the real version btw: Oculus app version 1.38.0.256587)
Nothing is listed in notes to say if it has fixed anything. You did not announce anything about it either.
Therefore, I am still fortunate the RIFT S was sent back for your total lack of information (whilst you're on holiday!)
New Firmware for RIFT S added? - I don't know as I can't test it now can I.
So who is working on the Features?...
BROKEN PULL-OUT
NO STRAFE
NO ONLINE FRIEND'S LOBBY (e.g. THE STORE)
2 THUMB-STICKS TO RECENTRE AS MOST GAMES DO
KEYBIND FOR PASS-THRU
NEW KEYBIND FOR MIXED PASS-THRU
VOICE COMMANDS
OPTION FOR NO HOME TO LOAD
OPTION TO HAVE NO TOUCH BATTERY WARNINGS (which levels need fixed and total power off too when unused)

Anonymous
Not applicable
FIX THIS WHEN BACK FROM YOUR HOLS...
16mxxpavypf8.jpg

Soulless512
Expert Protege
This makes me literally want to try and return this and go with the damn valve index for real

Anonymous
Not applicable
My update 1.38.1 is stuck on PENDING. I suppose this thread is just about that I see.
You gave us no clue as updates have different names to one after installed as they round up numbers!
Also we all get these at different times globally so have no clue which Update what this refers to!

mavrik1984
Honored Guest
yes it worked

Dr_Hippo404
Honored Guest
As silly as it sounds, doing the repair today (although I did it multiple times before) actually fixed my software install issues. I think there must have been a patch alongside this post or something.

sraura
Heroic Explorer
Maybe they fixed the äöåéíü and similar characters in windows username issue. Seems rather many were/are affected by that.