cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G or not 5G?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok...I created a 5G 802.11a hotspot using my Raspberry Pi 3B+, and my Quest connects to it without issue. The connection is better than the 5G signal from my modem from my provider. But...in an interview with Jason Ruben, he says himself that the Quest doesn't have 5G.

GamesBeat: Things like 5G coming along, does that make a difference? Or is wi-fi fast enough for any application?

Rubin: Quest is a wi-fi device. It doesn’t have a 5G chip in it. In the future, could 5G be good for VR? Yes. Although using VR outside of your home or a space that’s generally going to have wi-fi, probably not a massive use case. I’m not sure I’d recommend it on uneven surfaces, like in a park or something. It definitely could help. 5G is great. It’s very fast. I’m not sure it’s a game-changer, because most people have wi-fi where they’d use their VR headsets.

https://venturebeat.com/2019/06/22/what-comes-next-for-oculus-after-the-quest-launch/

So...is Ruben just mistaken then? My hotspot is definitely a 5G signal, as my phone is only 2.4G, and the 5G doesn't show up in the list.

5 REPLIES 5

pyroth309
Visionary

Spuzzum said:

Ok...I created a 5G 802.11a hotspot using my Raspberry Pi 3B+, and my Quest connects to it without issue. The connection is better than the 5G signal from my modem from my provider. But...in an interview with Jason Ruben, he says himself that the Quest doesn't have 5G.

GamesBeat: Things like 5G coming along, does that make a difference? Or is wi-fi fast enough for any application?

Rubin: Quest is a wi-fi device. It doesn’t have a 5G chip in it. In the future, could 5G be good for VR? Yes. Although using VR outside of your home or a space that’s generally going to have wi-fi, probably not a massive use case. I’m not sure I’d recommend it on uneven surfaces, like in a park or something. It definitely could help. 5G is great. It’s very fast. I’m not sure it’s a game-changer, because most people have wi-fi where they’d use their VR headsets.

https://venturebeat.com/2019/06/22/what-comes-next-for-oculus-after-the-quest-launch/

So...is Ruben just mistaken then? My hotspot is definitely a 5G signal, as my phone is only 2.4G, and the 5G doesn't show up in the list.

You're confusing 5Ghz wifi band with "5G" mobile which stands for 5th generation cellular internet. It's a marketing term. 

Richooal
Consultant

pyroth309 said:

You're confusing 5Ghz wifi band with "5G" mobile which stands for 5th generation cellular internet. It's a marketing term. 

Yep, he sure is.
2.4GHz and 5.0GHz from a modem, not 5G from a modem.
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

Anonymous
Not applicable

pyroth309 said:

Spuzzum said:

Someone needs to be shot. LoL. I had to google it...5G cellular means 5th generation, not 5GHz. That's going to confuse a lot of people thinking they can buy a 5GHz dongle to connect to a 5G wireless device.

kojack
MVP
MVP
Even more confusing, some phone companies are calling their 4G networks 5G because they boosted the speed a bit, but aren't actually following the 5G standards.
For example Verizon rushed out their own 5G TF standard just so they could say they were first, while the rest of the world tends to use the actual 5G NR standard. The two aren't compatible.

AT&T have sent updates to Samsung and LG phones on their network to change the 4G LTE icon on your status bar to 5G E, but it's not actually 5G, just rebranded 4G LTE.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Anonymous
Not applicable