Oculus Rift CV1 Orange Light No Display black screen — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Rift CV1 Orange Light No Display black screen

sanya1888sanya1888 Posts: 2
NerveGear
I apologize in advance for my English.
Bought yesterday Oculus Rift CV1, connected to my laptop 

Dell Inspiron 7567

specifications
Intel Core i7-7700HQ 
RAM 8 Gb
Discrete nVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
integrated intel hd graphics 630
characteristics meet minimum requirements for Oculus Rift CV1
in a programme Oculus writes that everything is connected and working, but the orange light is constantly on there is a sound and a black screen, position tracking works, when I move my Oculus Rift on the monitor laptop i can turn in Game, but the Oculus Rift screen is black.
Please tell me what the problem is and how to solve it, and whether broken himself Oculus Rift.

Comments

• ertert222ertert222 Posts: 26
    NerveGear
    edited June 23
    sanya1888 said:
    I apologize in advance for my English.
    Bought yesterday Oculus Rift CV1, connected to my laptop 

Dell Inspiron 7567

specifications
    Intel Core i7-7700HQ 
    RAM 8 Gb
    Discrete nVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    integrated intel hd graphics 630
    characteristics meet minimum requirements for Oculus Rift CV1
    in a programme Oculus writes that everything is connected and working, but the orange light is constantly on there is a sound and a black screen, position tracking works, when I move my Oculus Rift on the monitor laptop i can turn in Game, but the Oculus Rift screen is black.
    Please tell me what the problem is and how to solve it, and whether broken himself Oculus Rift.

reply:
    In settings/camera is "allow access for apps to access your camera" checked?

• MUSE_iCMUSE_iC Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Im having the exact same issue and it didnt start until just recently after the updates(two or three days ago). Ive tried everything, but the problem still persists. Ive wiggled the cable for the headset around to see if it was the issue, but it doesnt seem to make a difference. Ive tried different USB ports, ive tried repairing the oculus app, all windows and gfx card updates installed and up-to-date, I joined the beta channel for the Oculus app, and ive even set up my Oculus on a complettely different PC thats never had any sort of VR software on it. 

Oculus CV1
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 - Driver Ver. 430.86
    i7-8700k Stock no overclock
    8GB Ram
    Windows 10 Pro 

The headset was working perfectly fine until recently. The issue also seems to just happen at random. Ive had moments of it working for at least a few hours with no issues and then other times where it happens every few minutes and even stops working until i unplug it and plug it back in. As the OP mentioned the screen will go black, the headset indicator will be orange, but will turn off when you place on the headset (or block the sensor) instead of going white. Audio and Tracking continue to work normally regardless of the screen.
  • sanya1888sanya1888 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I read that on laptops of nvidia optimus there may be a problem,as I understand from nvidia optimus in port hdmi displayed integrated video card and not discrete, because of this Oculus Rift does not display images and the orange light is on.
    Question to support indeed this problem may be due nvidia optimus or is it the problem itself Oculus Rift ?

• FlameDevilFlameDevil Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Have same problem, appeared some days ago. I suspect that just after update if firmware from Oculus. I was try all methods including re-installing firmware with deleting all remains, re-connecting devices, etc. Result - no image in Oculus, orange light. 
  • sraurasraura Posts: 589
    Trinity
    edited June 27
    For MSI laptop users most common recent fix (for rift s) has been to use older drivers (usually the latest device specifig drivers from MSI support site). May work for rift cv1 too... worth checking.
    Also recent oculus update may have caused some issues for people who have extended ascii characters on their windows username.
    There has and can be numerous other issues with laptops, so these are just random suggestions mainly to the ones who had their stuff working before some update went wrong.
  • ross.gibbs.545ross.gibbs.545 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Happened to me too on my CV1, working fine one day a few days later black screen. I have spent days trying all the posted fixes around the issue without a resolution. Even swapped out my HDMI cable as a last resort. Logged with Oculus, now we all sit around and wait for a fix, while the company is all consumed with the S and quest launch.
  • CS.RageBlackEditionCS.RageBlackEdition Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited July 5
    Same Problem here...I just bought the headset and can't even finish the damn setup...
    I was so hyped to use it. Having friends over this weekend and now the shit doesn't work. I've been up all night going through forums and what not. No answer. Nothing I do helps. Might just give up on VR completely.

All I wanted was for the F***ing thing to work. But ofc it doesn't. Either this "high tech" Equipment ist just crap or I'm too stupid to use it. Or it hates me and just doesn't want to be used.
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,351 Volunteer Moderator
    edited July 5
    @CS.RageBlackEdition

Could you give us your system specs ?? The community is here to try and help mate.
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• lapommefrlapommefr Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    same problem impossible to use more than 20 sec, after sound bug, black screen the orange led turns on, flashes twice and then becomes white at this time I can put it back and it goes again and after the same thing ... damn orange led. I changed the version of my driver, try everything but nothing has ever worked. help !! I want to play: '(
  • MAIDIREMAIKMAIDIREMAIK Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    try to disable webcam

• SegadorSegador Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Same here. today redlight and black screen. working properly one month ago.  in thos motn some windows updates and nvidoa graph controllers updates. Thanks for helping.
  • bnkiselevbnkiselev Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Same problem. After update in OculusApp (i update 07.07), i see only orange led. Before that it worked properly since Feb 2019.

All connections are working says OculusApp. Configuration recommended says OculusCompactCheck.
    i5 - 8600k
    16GB RAM
    GeForce 1070Ti
    NerveGear
    Tried to reboot, reinstall OculusApp, reinstall GPU driver
    Trinity
    So as you all have same problem as the original poster, it means you all have laptops ?
  • Applecap822Applecap822 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    This had been happening all day for me. I checked AMD and made sure the drivers were up to date. If you don't have the latest updates for your drivers, the VR will not work. After that, I still had a black screen. I just took out the HDMI out of the GPU then replugged it. The white light now shows up and the headset works. I always recommend checking your drivers on the daily.
  • DaendilDaendil Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Same problema here. My Oculus Rift works 1 year, and now i have black screen. I have tried everything, reinstall old Nvidia driver, reinstall and repair Oculus App... 

I have a desktop PC: Nvidia GTX 1060.
    Trinity
    This thread is good source for troubleshooting.

Recently most common workaround for many people has been creating new local windows user account with admin privileges and fixing or installing Oculus there. In this context "many people" refers to handful of people in a week. In other words this some borderline issue on certain installations which certain people seem to experience after oculus or windows installations or updates. Mostly seen on on people who have spaces or accents on their windows username, but solution seems to fix other unexplainable errors too. Worth to try if everything else seems to fail.

This applies mainly to desktop computers. Laptops seem to have their own random pool of issues and laptop model specific solutions.
  • andyknottandyknott Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited July 22
    I have the same.  Oculus Rift worked for 1 year, then stopped working.  Getting mostly orange light, sometimes white for a few seconds.  Audio works fine.  Uninstalled Oculus, deleted the direcotry, searched & removed registry for "oculus" entries. Re-installed oculus software, updated nvidia drivers, reseated the oculus cables including visor connection. 

My PC is i7, 16 GB of RAM.  500GB SSD. 1070ti GPU.  

NerveGear
    Ask support. They give you recommendations which can help.
    I have 3 letters with some steps.
    This one helps to resolve problem:
    • Please note that if you've purchased any games in the past two weeks, uninstalling with this method will prevent you from requesting automated refunds on those titles.​
    1. Disconnect your computer from the internet.
    2. Backup any necessary content.
    3. Reboot into Safe Mode.
    4. Uninstall Oculus Home using the Control Panel.
    5. Delete all Oculus folders from the following folder:
      • C:\Program Files
    6. Remove any Oculus folders from the following locations:
      • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData
      • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Local
      • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\LocalLow
      • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Roaming
      • C:\OculusSetup-DownloadCache
    7. Restart your computer in normal mode.
    8. Reconnect your computer to the internet.
    9. Install Oculus Home again using the setup tool from our website here.
  • jtw62074jtw62074 Posts: 30
    Brain Burst
    edited September 6
    My brand new Rift S just went dead after an hour.  Orange light.  Not happy.  Same thing happened with the CV1.  

Edit:  I just reseated the plug and it's working again.  If this is a continual problem I'm taking this thing back to Best Buy. 

Oculus, you folks REALLY need to figure out your plugs.  This is the third headset I've bought from you (DK2, CV1, Rift S).  The latter two's connectors had to be reseated after one hour's worth of use.  I tried to buy a replacement cable for my CV1 after a lot of use and abuse, but you don't carry them anymore.

Headsets are awesome otherwise, but having two different models both fail within an hour for the same reason makes me want to shop other brands.