New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Problem Running TF2

2»

Comments

• WookieeWookiee Posts: 79
    Hiro Protagonist
    Working now thanks for the info.
  • KleptoKlepto Posts: 8
    The prerelease beta switch did it for me. I'll put the solution in the other forum where I originally posted it wasn't working.

It is really great. Before it felt like I was controlling a guy in the game, and now it feels like I am the guy in game.
  • Brian221Brian221 Posts: 2
    Brian221 wrote:
    Tried all these recommendations and could not get it to function on the iMac...will try on the PC tomorrow.
    I also tried my install of TF-2 Beta with no luck.

So still no luck on the iMac, but I've got it working on my Win8 laptop. The issue was my screen resolution. Since the laptop wasn't able to mirror at 1280x800, the driver wasn't happy. I had to use "secondary display only" to force the correct resolution then launch the game.
  • r2umamr2umam Posts: 30
    Anyone able to get TF2 working on a macbook air? I have the latest macbook air (March 2013, 13inch screen, 4 gb ram, 1.8ghz) and using the pre-release did not get it working. I can see the world and move using the trackpad but there is no head tracking and "vr_calibration" does not do anything.
  • elmelm Posts: 2
    There is, as of yet, no Mac support.

See Joe from Valve's comment here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/440/discussions/2/828937546078854918/
  • niallniall Posts: 41
    Has anyone managed to get weapon aiming working with a gamepad analogue stick? I've got the Logitech F710, and I can aim the weapon side to side but not up and down - bit frustrating being tied to a desk and mouse.
  • adamadam Posts: 20
    Brain Burst
    I have set it to PreRelease in the betas tab of properties for TF2.

Do I need to do something to force it to download the PreRelease codebase?

The game is still behaving as it did before i set the PreRelease setting.

Thanks, Adam.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    @adam: Did you also add the "-vr" to the launch options? Seems to work for me.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • adamadam Posts: 20
    Brain Burst
    Yes the -vr is still there from when it was working the other day before the update broke it.

It's just that setting to PreRelease doesn't appear to cause a download of any new (pre-release) codebase that might have the Rift support re-included since they broke it.

Did setting it to Pre-Release cause any noticeable change to you? (apart from making it work of course!)

Thanks, Adam
  • johnreesjohnrees Posts: 4
    I'm trying to play it on Mac, with the -vr flag and prerelease enabled but I always get the following error before Steam can launch it -

hl2_osx quit unexpectedly

This is the output in the crash log https://gist.github.com/johnrees/3127e11e4bbc1bf86e35
  • Yeah same here; recent mac running TF2 using -vr with & w/out prerelease enabled and it TF2 crashes 100% of the time :(

why u no mac love?
  • steev3dsteev3d Posts: 2
    Ok I have had my oculus for 2 days
    I updated TF2 on steam (I haven't played for over a year I guess)
    I Inserted the -vr launch option
    I selected the beta prerelease - latest available build option

So I launch the game and I get the splash screen then I get a split screen that has the background for the TF2 options menu on the left side and is blank on the right side.

I get this for a couple of minutes but the game menu never loads then the entire screen goes black and some jinky music plays forever but the game menu never loads.

I read in this thread that there was a tf2 update in early may that broke the VR has there been a subsequent update? is anyone else still having this problem.

Oh and yes all the other demos I have tried are working fine at this point it seems to be only Tf2 that craps out. And Tf2 runs perfectly without the -vr setting

I am running windows 7
  • YuntiMcGuntiYuntiMcGunti Posts: 21
    Brain Burst
    Pretty similar for me, every other demo and game works fine (incuding HL2) apart from TF2. I tried deleting and reinstalling TF2 on steam too, but no luck.

I get a get a split screen with half being the game and half being the intro movie (tested on the training section), with no rift warping. So unfortunately not much use. I've had this since my rift arrived at the beginning of the month.
  • HesynergyHesynergy Posts: 7
    Exactly the same thing here! All Dev demos work fine...TF2 is busted

are we supposed to pre-load anything before launching steam?

Gonna dL HL
  • abelovabelov Posts: 1
    Crashes on OSX

Process: hl2_osx [18914]
    Path: /Users/USER/Library/Application Support/Steam/*/hl2_osx
    Identifier: hl2_osx
    Version: ???
    Code Type: X86 (Native)
    Parent Process: steam [18280]
    User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2013-05-30 22:58:23.037 -0700
    OS Version: Mac OS X 10.8.3 (12D78)
    Report Version: 10
  • GraniteTopGamesGraniteTopGames Posts: 3 Oculus Start Member
    steev3d wrote:
    Ok I have had my oculus for 2 days
    I updated TF2 on steam (I haven't played for over a year I guess)
    I Inserted the -vr launch option
    I selected the beta prerelease - latest available build option

So I launch the game and I get the splash screen then I get a split screen that has the background for the TF2 options menu on the left side and is blank on the right side.

I get this for a couple of minutes but the game menu never loads then the entire screen goes black and some jinky music plays forever but the game menu never loads.

I read in this thread that there was a tf2 update in early may that broke the VR has there been a subsequent update? is anyone else still having this problem.

Oh and yes all the other demos I have tried are working fine at this point it seems to be only Tf2 that craps out. And Tf2 runs perfectly without the -vr setting

I am running windows 7

This sounds exactly like the issue I had. It was a resolution thing. My laptop's screen will only do 13something X 768, and it seems TF2 really must have 1280x800. I was able to get it running by using extended desktop instead of cloned displays, then setting the Rift as the main display, then setting the screen resolution (in Windows display properties) to 1280x800. It's kind of a pain, because you have to hunt for the Steam icon in the Rift (I guess I could place it Vertically mid-screen, offset to the left or right), but once you run it, it will actually run. Hope this helps.
    --Ben
  • CSHokieCSHokie Posts: 55
    Hiro Protagonist
    For people that are experiencing a crash with OSX, give it another go. I started steam up last night and got updates for HL2 and TF2, and now I'm able to play TF2 and run the vr calibration. Lots of fun...

Note: I did not update to 10.8.4 yesterday. I'm still running 10.8.3.
  • joejoe Posts: 102
    Brain Burst
    Are any of you still having trouble with TF2 in VR mode?

You do need to extend your display to the Rift and it needs to be 1280x800. You should not need to opt-in to any beta.

There was a crash-on-startup bug in VR mode on one OSX version. It should be fixed now.

There was also a period of a day or so right after the TF2 switch to Steam Pipe where VR mode didn't work at all. That's been fixed since sometime in April.

If there is something else preventing VR from running in TF2 (or HL2, the episodes, or HL2DM) I'd love to hear about it.
  • CJMillerCJMiller Posts: 9
    joe wrote:
    If there is something else preventing VR from running in TF2 (or HL2, the episodes, or HL2DM) I'd love to hear about it.

Hi Joe. Sorry for the topic spillover, but since you asked, I am grappling with -vr mode in HL2DM, as I mention here:
    viewtopic.php?f=42&t=1478

The visuals are slightly distorted, which I can adjust on my end. But I get an "insecure" warning and prevented from joining a nonlocal server. Any advice on HL2DM server setup for Rift would be greatly appreciated.
  • Not sure specifically what the change was, but after updating (auto via steam), it works great now! :)

Now if only i could just learn to walk around TF2 maps without getting shot at haha
  • You can download the TF2 server, run it locally, and connect to your own server (127.0.0.1 or localhost). From there you can run server commands either remotely or in the server app itself. Enjoy :D
  • tf2 crashes on map load whenever Im in -VR mode..any ideas??

edit: hl2 loads just fine..
  • I'm still experiences in the same problem that steev3d outlined above. I've been able to run everything smoothly for Half-Life 2 but Team Fortress two plays the valve opening, than shows a loading screen on the left and black screen on the right, then it will just go to black. I'm running the oculus on my MacBook Pro and mirroring in 1280x800. All the demos and other games I've tried has worked for me, team fortress is the only one that I have issue with. I don't know how to access the beta or even try to do the "prerelease" step mentioned above. My "Betas" tab in preferences says "No Beta" and I don't know how I would opt in.

I'd appreciate any help in the matter, and I'd also appreciate if anyone pointed me towards a guide for using the vr console in half-life. I wanted to use TF2 to set up the config file, but that doesn't appear to be working out for me.

UPDATE: I just figured out how to opt in to the betas, and enabled "Prerelease" and launched TF2 in -vr mode. Same result.
  • singularity9singularity9 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Having the same issue with TF2. All other demos work fine. I get a black screen after load. I am on a Macbook Air (2013) on OSX. I tried using the extended displays and setting the OR as main display but no luck =/.
  • jurijuri Posts: 1
    Hello, i use a win8 laptop and and tf2 from yesterday. At the console i have a lot vr_* commands but i don't have vr_calibration. How can i use the calibration now? The split screen seems to work but i can't config the IPD.
  • juri wrote:
    Hello, i use a win8 laptop and and tf2 from yesterday. At the console i have a lot vr_* commands but i don't have vr_calibration. How can i use the calibration now? The split screen seems to work but i can't config the IPD.

You have to use the new oculus SDK to calibrate, or OpenVR on steam
    Ordered 27/09/13 Order Status -=ARRIVED!!!=-