New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

I waited too long to play Edge of Nowhere... It's Awesome

pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,576 Valuable Player
edited June 25 in Games and Apps
So I am kicking myself right now. I am extremely late to the party on Edge of Nowhere and I'm trying to pick my jaw up off of the floor. When I first got my CV1, (Early 2017) two of the first games that I bought was Edge of Nowhere and Chronos because I saw them on several "Must Own" lists. I never watched a trailer for either of them and grabbed them off the store. I jumped in Chronos first and enjoyed it but I didn't really connect with the 3rd person view. I also hated having to use an Xbox controller when I had Touch games to play so I never made it to Edge of Nowhere.

Hellblade: Sensua's Sacrifice opened my mind to third person in VR. After playing that, it really made me realize that 3rd person can work in VR and can work really well. Perhaps it was better that I didn't get to Edge until now because of that. 

Well today, I decided that while I have my CV1 hooked up again to go through the games that I have never played. I wasn't ready for what I was about to play. I am a big Lovecraft fan and I am so upset right now that it has taken me this long to realize that Edge of Nowhere is a Lovecraftian VR experience (with a side of Dead Space) and is clearly inspired by At the Mountains of Madness.

The environments and the atmosphere is so good. The desperation and the despair really came through and the Voice acting was great for a VR game. Gameplay is probably the weak point of this title. The Tomb Raider like wall climbing got repetitive after awhile and the enemies weren't very tough to beat. Despite that, I give the game a 10/10 just for the ending. I had the biggest smile when I looked out of the right window of the plane.....I knew what was coming as soon as I saw that. (I had suspicions long before that though)

Can't say enough about the environment in this game. The plants in Chile looked so damn realistic and despite the game having a lot of snow and bright areas, SDE really didn't bother me like in other titles. 

If you're like me and haven't played this game, do yourself a favor and pick it up if you like Lovecraft even a little. While it isn't as in depth as flat screen Lovecraft games, for me at least, the experience of it in VR added a lot. They've since added Touch support since I originally bought it, but it's just using it like a gamepad and no motion controls. 






Tagged:
«1

Comments

  • WildtWildt Posts: 2,116 Valuable Player
    Yeah, EON is one of those gamepad titles I gotta replay on whatever highres HMD I get next :)

    How come you didn't play it on your O+?
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,576 Valuable Player
    edited June 25
    Wildt said:
    Yeah, EON is one of those gamepad titles I gotta replay on whatever highres HMD I get next :)

    How come you didn't play it on your O+?
    I saw it listed as one that has problems with Re-Vive which is why I decided to jump on it. 

    https://github.com/LibreVR/Revive/wiki/Compatibility-list

    Has a flickering problem on some objects, see issue #138.

  • WildtWildt Posts: 2,116 Valuable Player
    Gotcha
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,576 Valuable Player
    Wildt said:
    Gotcha
    The only other notable game that listed issues was Lone Echo and it says it's unplayable for Re-vive. That's one I'll have to test myself with Index because it worked fine on my Odyssey+ using Re-Vive. I heard it was a motion smoothing issue though and WMR doesn't use it so not sure the current status. 
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,997 Valuable Player
    Edge of Nowhere is awesome, I think I miss to do the last 5%, but some big monsters like to kill me :blush: Edge of Nowhere was the game where I found out that the difference between ss 1.0 and 2.0 is the ability to clearly read the text in documents, lol. Edge of Nowhere is probably the closest thing to real Tomb Raider VR.
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

    "Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,576 Valuable Player
    edited June 25
    RuneSR2 said:
    Edge of Nowhere is awesome, I think I miss to do the last 5%, but some big monsters like to kill me :blush: Edge of Nowhere was the game where I found out that the difference between ss 1.0 and 2.0 is the ability to clearly read the text in documents, lol. Edge of Nowhere is probably the closest thing to real Tomb Raider VR.
    You should finish it, seriously.

    I added some photos to the review. 

    The game looked great in my CV1. I ran it at 1.8 and it was very smooth and looked very good. One thing I do appreciate about the CV1 is the larger sweetspot over the O+ and the ability to look around everywhere with your eyes and see clearly. In a game like this, that's very much appreciated. Also the sound is so much better than the tinny O+ sound setup. I seriously cannot wait for the Index speakers. 
  • WildtWildt Posts: 2,116 Valuable Player
    EON was back in the day when I hadn't grown half numb to VR jumpscares.
    And I remember the part where you just know something creepy is gonna happen when erhm.. what's her name? ..and I just nope'd out and looked away, only to conclude that the mean devs had put a gaze trigger on that event, and you bloody HAD to look in her direction! Evil bastards :smiley:
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,576 Valuable Player
    edited June 25
    Wildt said:
    EON was back in the day when I hadn't grown half numb to VR jumpscares.
    And I remember the part where you just know something creepy is gonna happen when erhm.. what's her name? ..and I just nope'd out and looked away, only to conclude that the mean devs had put a gaze trigger on that event, and you bloody HAD to look in her direction! Evil bastards :smiley:
    Ava is her name. There were a few parts that gave me the chills and it was like a combination effect. Chills from being frightened and chills from how awesome it was lol. If you're referring to the end... I didn't want to look at her either as I was too busy looking at the Great One lol. I'm still trying to figure out if that was mf'n Cthulhu or not. I get that the game is an inspiration and wasn't straight lore from At the Mountains of Madness but kinda would be a stretch to get him to the Antarctic when he's at the bottom of the Ocean. Either way it was awesome lol. 

    Also there was a really bad ass part that gave me the chills before the ending. I was in a room fighting the humanoid enemy dudes and I look off into some blackness to the left...and Cthulhu like red eyes lit up and looked at me... that shit made my hair stand up. 

    The game was a mindfuck for me too because it had a fight club type vibe to it for me. It made me question what was real or not and I think Victor is actually the bad guy being manipulated by the great one the whole time. I think the creatures and the mountain wasn't a city but a prison and they were keeping The Great One prisoner. The "poison" they were injecting was actually sedating him. I think Ava actually died in Chile and I think Victor killed her with that shot while trying to save her from the animal and Cthulhu used her memory to manipulate him. The reason I think that is because there was a guy you ask where's Ava, and he's like Who's Ava. I was suspicious from then on. Either way, game was too awesome and I can't sleep now. Thanks Insomniac Games.
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,576 Valuable Player
    Edited and added some stuff to the spoilers. Is there any other games in this vein out there? 
  • WildtWildt Posts: 2,116 Valuable Player
    pyroth309 said:
    If you're referring to the end...
    No, it was much earlier, where those tentacle things jump out of her mouth at you. I think it was a dream sequence or something - I think it was against a pitch black background. 


    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
  • WildtWildt Posts: 2,116 Valuable Player
    This thread has gone completely under cover :lol:
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
  • parsecnparsecn Posts: 96
    Hiro Protagonist
    I missed the sale when Edge was $5 and have regretted it immensely. I keep waiting for it to go on sale again and will snap it up. 
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,160 Valuable Player
    Yup, one of my favourite VR games. I'm surprised that there aren't more third person VR games because they work surprisingly well.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

    Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • WildtWildt Posts: 2,116 Valuable Player
    @pyroth309

    The scene I was talking about is 12:45 into this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p97Pu6QKLik
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
  • JeremyC85JeremyC85 Posts: 275
    Nexus 6
    snowdog said:
    Yup, one of my favourite VR games. I'm surprised that there aren't more third person VR games because they work surprisingly well.
    Could not agree more. VR does 3rd person extremely well. Loved EoN, Chronos, even Mervils was fun 
  • jayhawkjayhawk Posts: 818
    3Jane
    edited June 25
    I didn't think it was awesome myself. Kind of a dumbed down version of a mix between Dead Space and Tomb Raider. Two 5 star franchises, yet still failed to impress. Chronos was miles ahead of it.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,997 Valuable Player
    edited June 25
    Sometimes I feel like the old stuff is the best stuff, like Robinson, Mage's Tale, Chronos, Arizona Sunshine, Lone Echo, Robo Recall, Wilson's Heart, Edge of Nowhere, Obduction, Lucky's Tale, Ethan Carter, Elite - maybe because Oculus did such an awesome job funding incredible Rift games in 2016-2017. But seems like we're in for something great this year with Defector, Asgard's Wrath and Stormland. 

    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

    "Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,061 Volunteer Moderator
    Edge of Nowhere was the first VR game that I finished, I think (I still have a ton of unfinished games from the first wave of Oculus titles). It wasn't the best game ever, but it was an enjoyable experience with a superbly creepy atmosphere that was heightened by being in VR.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,576 Valuable Player
    edited June 25
    jayhawk said:
    I didn't think it was awesome myself. Kind of a dumbed down version of a mix between Dead Space and Tomb Raider. Two 5 star franchises, yet still failed to impress. Chronos was miles ahead of it.
    Gameplay wise I agree but I actually enjoyed EON more than Chronos overall because of the storytelling and the experience of it. Chronos never moved me like EON did except at the end and it's in the spoiler below, but Chronos was more fun to play if that makes sense. It was also more challenging and obviously more than twice as long.

    I actually tend to prefer games with a stronger narrative and also like I said, I really like the dark Lovecraftian horrors. I also hated the age mechanic in Chronos. If I could have taken the combat of Chronos and put it in EON that would have been incredible. Still, EoN's flashlight was pretty cool and some of the climbing was great...it was just too much of it. Both are great games in their own right and still hold up. 

    The Dragon in Chronos was bad ass lol. 

  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,633 Valuable Player
    In related news,

    • Man has landed on the Moon.
    • The Internet was invented.
    • Phones are now like computers.
    Glad you finally caught up with modern day society @pyroth309 !
    :p

    But yeah, Edge of Nowhere is amazing. I should replay it sometime.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,576 Valuable Player
    Zenbane said:
    In related news,

    • Man has landed on the Moon.
    • The Internet was invented.
    • Phones are now like computers.
    Glad you finally caught up with modern day society @pyroth309 !
    :p

    But yeah, Edge of Nowhere is amazing. I should replay it sometime.
    Lol yea pretty much. I was in my bubble the whole time focusing on all my other games that I never realized what I had in my library. 
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,997 Valuable Player
    edited June 26
    I can't help wondering if we'll soon see a new thread: "I waited too long to play Robinson: The Journey... It's Awesome" ;) I may be able to start a few similar threads too :blush: :D


    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

    "Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,633 Valuable Player
    Hell... I'm still waiting for Farlands to have its breakthrough moment!

    I have a secret love affair with that little game. <3
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,997 Valuable Player
    Zenbane said:
    Hell... I'm still waiting for Farlands to have its breakthrough moment!

    I have a secret love affair with that little game. <3
    Same here, Farlands is actually quite impressive - love the aliens, I remember graphics being state-of-the-art, just add full locomotion!
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

    "Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,576 Valuable Player
    edited June 26
    Yea Farlands is awesome. I still need to Finish Robinson but I did play about halfway through it so I know how awesome it looks.

    I'm working through Red Matter right now when I have time and it looks incredible. The rock textures are some of the Best I've ever seen in VR and the glass effect in the elevator is real as hell looking. Game in general looks phenomenal. I'll probably bump one of those threads when I'm done.

    I made this thread just to shine light on EON again in case others are in a similar case as me or maybe don't even know about it because it impressed me so much in 2019 after playing a ton of other games. 
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,997 Valuable Player
    pyroth309 said:
    Yea Farlands is awesome. I still need to Finish Robinson but I did play about halfway through it so I know how awesome it looks.

    I'm working through Red Matter right now when I have time and it looks incredible. The rock textures are some of the Best I've ever seen in VR and the glass effect in the elevator is real as hell looking. Game in general looks phenomenal. I'll probably bump one of those threads when I'm done.

    I made this thread just to shine light on EON again in case others are in a similar case as me or maybe don't even know about it because it impressed me so much in 2019 after playing a ton of other games. 
    Eon? Aeon?

    https://store.steampowered.com/app/543390/Aeon/
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

    "Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,576 Valuable Player
    edited June 26
    RuneSR2 said:
    pyroth309 said:
    Yea Farlands is awesome. I still need to Finish Robinson but I did play about halfway through it so I know how awesome it looks.

    I'm working through Red Matter right now when I have time and it looks incredible. The rock textures are some of the Best I've ever seen in VR and the glass effect in the elevator is real as hell looking. Game in general looks phenomenal. I'll probably bump one of those threads when I'm done.

    I made this thread just to shine light on EON again in case others are in a similar case as me or maybe don't even know about it because it impressed me so much in 2019 after playing a ton of other games. 
    Eon? Aeon?

    https://store.steampowered.com/app/543390/Aeon/
    I already bought Aeon in this sale but I was referring to EoN aka Edge of Nowhere.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,997 Valuable Player
    pyroth309 said:
    RuneSR2 said:
    pyroth309 said:
    Yea Farlands is awesome. I still need to Finish Robinson but I did play about halfway through it so I know how awesome it looks.

    I'm working through Red Matter right now when I have time and it looks incredible. The rock textures are some of the Best I've ever seen in VR and the glass effect in the elevator is real as hell looking. Game in general looks phenomenal. I'll probably bump one of those threads when I'm done.

    I made this thread just to shine light on EON again in case others are in a similar case as me or maybe don't even know about it because it impressed me so much in 2019 after playing a ton of other games. 
    Eon? Aeon?

    https://store.steampowered.com/app/543390/Aeon/
    I already bought Aeon in this sale but I was referring to EoN aka Edge of Nowhere.
    Ok ;) I did think this simply can't be right. lol

    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

    "Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,756 Valuable Player
    Definitely want to replay this one on the Rift-S  (and on hard difficulty?)

    The ending gave me a scare in a way that no cheap jumpscares in normal horror video games ever could.  I was literally too terrified to look directly at, uh... what was happening.  :grimace:       And the game itself was very solid.   I hate to think that games like this, from the pre-touch-era, might get missed by a lot of people;  it's really just so fantastic!
    It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,997 Valuable Player
    The game's today's Daily Deal - 50% off.
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

    "Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
Sign In or Register to comment.