New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

What is the Ideal Placement for 3 Sensors in My Room? (Includes Scale Diagram)

bzowkbzowk Posts: 22
Brain Burst
Hey Guys - 

After having many issues with tracking recently (especially since I cannot get past Request Timeout errors when recently setting up again), I am considering moving all 3 of my sensors.  Below are two scale diagrams of my room where my PC is located on a corner desk.  The first diagram is my current sensor configuration where I face the PC, but it seems that to get the best arrangement, I'll have to set them up where I'm facing a wall - not a corner.  Therefore, the 2nd diagram shows the setup I'm proposing.

If you have any suggestions as to what may be the best setup given my room (including their height), I'd love to hear it.  I have read this article, but it's a bit old so wanted community's suggestions as well.

Current Sensor Setup
The two front sensors are 4' from the corner of the room (exactly 5' apart) and are wall-mounted 6.5' from the floor.  The rear sensor is currently 10.5' from the left front sensor and on a stand on a desk 4.5' from the floor.  

Proposed Sensor Setup
Based off what I've read, it seems the best setup would be to have the front two each 1.5' from each wall (8' apart).  The rear sensor would be 10' from the far corner (~10.5' from left front sensor).  All would be wall mounted at a height of 7.5' (the ceiling is 8' tall). 

Again, if you have alternate suggestions; I'm game.  The only con I can see to the proposed setup is that when facing forwards; the PC would be to my front/left but guess it doesn't matter when HMD is on :).  Concerning the Request Timeout issues, below are the specs of my setup which should be good enough so assume the issue must be sensor placement.  I get occasional USB sensor disconnects when in VR so don't know if shared PCI bus is being overloaded or if I need to add a 2nd USB 3.0 card, but guess that's a different issue.

System Specs (that matter)
  • Intel i7-3770k CPU @ 4.0Ghz
  • 32gb RAM
  • Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H Motherboard
  • OS + Oculus Software installed onto SSD / (Most) VR Apps & Games installed onto dedicated SSD
  • Nvidia Geforce GTX 970 (4gb)
  • Windows 10 x64 / Oculus 1.38.0.261476
  • Oculus Rift CV1 + 2 Touch controllers (Was early adopter so bought touch controllers & 3rd sensor separately)
  • Rift HMD plugged into motherboard's USB 3.0
  • 2 Front sensors plugged into dedicated PCI USB 3.0 Card (Mailiya PCI-E to USB 3.0 2-Port PCI Express Card,Mini PCI-E USB 3.0 Hub Controller)
  • Rear sensor plugged into motherboard USB 2.0 port using extension which came with the extra sensor
Thank You!