VIVE COSMOS said to be "best VR of 2019" — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

VIVE COSMOS said to be "best VR of 2019"

MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
Wintermute
edited June 26 in Off-Topic
Looking good with 1440x1700 per eye at 90fps, manual IPD adjustment and 6 cameras I must say!

Tagged:

Comments

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,732 Valuable Player
    And knowing HTC it's going to cost too much. They seem to not be able to learn lessons from the past unfortunately.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 2,571 Valuable Player
    Why care about Cosmos when you have Rift-S and Index? 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    Cosmos is same as RIFT S but should be the job done properly as it has:
    Extra Camera to hopefully fix tracking up close to headset (I think it's due to being too big a light to sense when close).
    Headphones which none for S sucks big time.
    IPD mechanical adjustment (actually for me on RIFT  is worse than S yet altering the Software IPD does no change but is perfect regardless).
    No Lighthouses to pay for which Index needs so is cheaper but greater quality in all.

Although S is cheap it cut so many corners which are crucial to being great for it's purpose!
    Yeah it will cost almost 2 times but there is no point buying a Lambo without wheels!
    The only problems I'm having with the Rift so far is the white flashes and the tracking going wobbly when the batteries in the controllers start to run out. I've had a couple of black screens too.

I've also had to turn off the Realistic Bow setting for Skyrim too, works great when that's turned off.

Once they sort these software issues out I'll be VERY happy with it.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

• mhajii210mhajii210 Posts: 41
    Brain Burst
    Cosmos looks great but I think it'll be at least $799 which is way too high. I can get a Rift S and Quest for the same price. HTC also has had many QC issues in the past. If they price it at $599 then I think it would be great for the Cosmos, but anything higher than that... no way it'll be able to compete. 
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 1,847
    Project 2501
    OMG holly shit  I said I wouldn't consider index because I need inside tracking. Now cosmos may be the 2nd best thing. I already bought quest and the rift s but after the cosmo launch and reviews I will strongly consider entering another headset into the family aaahhhhhh! My poor wallet.
    Project 2501
    As for complaints about price better tech =more money. Get over it already.
    Wintermute
    It costs £80 for a 4m RIFT Cable.
    So what is the cost of a 5m RIFT S Cable (hmmm let's think)
    What is the actual cost of parts and labour in the RIFT S and what quality are they?
    Usually a mark up for RRP is 40% on top and then there's 2 companies to split any profits on the RIFT S.
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,113 Volunteer Moderator
    inovator said:
    Utter nonsense. 
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• Tattoo_DudeTattoo_Dude Posts: 99
    Hiro Protagonist
    I never had any issues with my Rift and I have no issues with my Rift S, so I guess I don't relate to these tracking issues or black screens people are referring to. Higher resolution = Great! It also comes with a higher price. The state of VR right now, I don't feel it is worth investing $1000 for me. If I could get some truly hi-res, triple A games, I'll pay to play them. But right now, VR is a novelty. Get me Borderlands 3, Control or Cyberpunk 2077 in VR and then I will invest the cash, but given the current level of games available, my Rift S is working just fine for $400.
    Wintermute
    Re. bad tracking...it really was only in PokerstarsVR for me when looking at the watch HUDs up Settings which it wandered. Now that really should be a game issue as the controllers were not near the headset. Although it was difficult to hold Cigars if it was a bit low.
    Project 2501
    Techy111 said:
    inovator said:
    Utter nonsense. 
    Why is it nonsense. If it was nonsense the rift s would have similar specs. Reality: if the rift s had similar specs it would utterly more money. Some members want all the tech and don't want to pay for it. I don't blame them but it's not reality.
    Brain Burst
    edited June 27
    @MAC_MAN86 I feel bad for you bro! So sorry you had such a horrible Rift S experience, but I really think you had a defective headset. The only issue I have with my Rift S is the same 2-3 static flashes per hour that I've had since day 1. Oculus support sent me a new cable but it didn't make any difference. Hopefully the software and QC issues will get corrected and you will reconsider the Rift S. I personally love my headset, but the static flashes really mess up the immersion for me even though they don't happen very often.
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,565 Valuable Player
    ( waits for the reverb type reviews to start ) 
    Grass is always greener I suppose.
    WAAAGH!
    inovator said:
    Techy111 said:
    inovator said:
    Utter nonsense. 
    Why is it nonsense. If it was nonsense the rift s would have similar specs. Reality: if the rift s had similar specs it would utterly more money. Some members want all the tech and don't want to pay for it. I don't blame them but it's not reality.
    Its nonsense because it's a broad comment. Did you see the vive as the better headset when you tried it ? Have you tried the Index yet or the cosmos ? People can and will always complain about prices. So there is no getting over it as you said, with me ?
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,090 Valuable Player
    inovator said:
    If it was nonsense the rift s would have similar specs.

This makes no sense.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    Brain Burst
    edited June 27
    Price to performance is a big factor IMHO. I'm personally thinking about getting a Quest and doing wireless SteamVR for the times when I don't feel like sitting next to my PC. If I can get a Rift S and a Quest for the same price, which deal or deals do you think you're getting more technology for the price?
    inovator said:

I have a problem with the price because Valve are price gouging.

Now I understand that they want to make a few quid selling the things but the new Lighthouses cost OEMs $60 plus shipping to buy. These things are cheaper to produce than the 1.0 ones but Valve are selling them for MORE than the originals.

If Oculus were doing this the world would be up in arms about it.

• Tattoo_DudeTattoo_Dude Posts: 99
    Hiro Protagonist
    Now, snowdog! Valve would never price gouge a product!
    *cough* Artifact*cough*
    Wintermute
    This is like a chase for the...

Project 2501
    Techy111 said:
    inovator said:
    Techy111 said:
    inovator said:
    Utter nonsense. 
    Its nonsense because it's a broad comment. Did you see the vive as the better headset when you tried it ? Have you tried the Index yet or the cosmos ? People can and will always complain about prices. So there is no getting over it as you said, with me ?
    You don't have to try a headset to have an idea by the reviews. When I bought the quest and rift s I got what I expected because of reviews.I don't understand what your offended about. All I said is a headset with more tech will cost more. Nobody really knows for sure what it cost the company. Research and development is also expensive. That should be considered. I directed my comment at people that have not considered what I just said.Zenbane said:
    inovator said:
    If it was nonsense the rift s would have similar specs.

This makes no sense.
    Techy111 said it was nonsense when I I talked about more tech cost more money. He saidvitvwas nonsense. When I said, If it was nonsense the rift s would have similar specs. what I meant was the rift s would have similar specs as the cosmos if it wasn't more money hence my comment , more tech = more money.
    Reviews are only peoples personal opinions. Agreed though, I buy many an item based on reviews, the bit I didnt like or appreciate was the "get over it already" comment. We are all allowed our opinions ;)

Project 2501
    Techy111 said:
    Reviews are only peoples personal opinions. Agreed though, I buy many an item based on reviews, the bit I didnt like or appreciate was the "get over it already" comment. We are all allowed our opinions ;)
    Agreed in retrospective I should have left that comment out. 
    edited June 27
    inovator said:
    You don't have to try a headset to have an idea by the reviews.

Not really. If anything, VR Headsets have proven that Reviews rarely give a proper indication of the final product when massed released on the consumer market.

I mean, sure you can have an "idea." But it's just as valid an idea as pure guesswork.
    Project 2501
    Zenbane said:
    inovator said:
    You don't have to try a headset to have an idea by the reviews.

Not really. If anything, VR Headsets have proven that Reviews rarely give a proper indication of the final product when massed released on the consumer market.

I mean, sure you can have an "idea." But it's just as valid an idea as pure guesswork.
    Agree with much of what you are saying but for myself after using the Samsung gear inovator addition the rift cv1 was what I expected based on the reviews snd consumer opinions. I feel after the cosmo release and hearing many reviews from reviewers and average Joe's like me I will feel confident on buying it or not based on that. And you are so right that reviewers can get it so wrong. That's why consumer opinions are very important. The thing that may make me rethink the idea of cosmos even if it's great is the bad customer support. 
    inovator said:
    Agree with much of what you are saying but for myself after using the Samsung gear inovator addition the rift cv1 was what I expected based on the reviews snd consumer opinions. I feel after the cosmo release and hearing many reviews from reviewers and average Joe's like me I will feel confident on buying it or not based on that. And you are so right that reviewers can get it so wrong. That's why consumer opinions are very important. The thing that may make me rethink the idea of cosmos even if it's great is the bad customer support. 

In this case, we're talking about having only one "reviewer" present Cosmos, and that's the awful shill, MRTV. He championed the Pimax 8K pretty hard before it was available on mass release, so the fact that he's doing the same with the Vive Cosmos isn't a very good sigh. And the Pimax 8K cost a bunch of money too... yet it is total garbage. Which proves your money comment wrong as well.
    Project 2501
    Zenbane said:
    inovator said:

In this case, we're talking about having only one "reviewer" present Cosmos, and that's the awful shill, MRTV. He championed the Pimax 8K pretty hard before it was available on mass release, so the fact that he's doing the same with the Vive Cosmos isn't a very good sigh. And the Pimax 8K cost a bunch of money too... yet it is total garbage. Which proves your money comment wrong as well.
    Better tech doesn't necessarily translate into a better headset.I'm saying the more tech in a headset the more money it will cost. But again it doesn't make it better. What u said above I agree. That's why I would need a full launch  and many more reviews also from consumers to decide. The cosmos may be terrible or great. One thing for sure the Vive customer service is something I would also consider.
    inovator said:
    Better tech doesn't necessarily translate into a better headset.I'm saying the more tech in a headset the more money it will cost. But again it doesn't make it better.

Okay well that contradicts what you originally said:
    As for complaints about price better tech = more money.

You didn't say "more tech," you literally said "better tech." Thanks for clearing it up though.
    ;)
    Project 2501
    Zenbane said:
    inovator said:
    Better tech doesn't necessarily translate into a better headset.I'm saying the more tech in a headset the more money it will cost. But again it doesn't make it better.

Okay well that contradicts what you originally said:
    As for complaints about price better tech = more money.

You didn't say "more tech," you literally said "better tech." Thanks for clearing it up though.
    ;)
    Ya I didn't express it right what I  meant.