New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Tracking glitches every now and then

RyusLightworksRyusLightworks Posts: 6
NerveGear
I get some tracking glitches from time to time. Happens mostly with the right controller, it still detects movement but seems to loose position. In your home lobby this then looks like the controller is lying on the ground but still rotates around when being moved. Happened in Beat Saber too, there the right saber just floats next to my head.
Can easily be fixed by taking out the battery and putting it back, altho I wonder if I have a faulty controller or if it has something to do with my playfield or whatever.
Usually playing in my living room with shades half way down so no direct sunlight enters the room, but room is still lit by indirect light. Also tried to switch on light in addition to that, but happens there too.
Another issue is that especially when doing fast moves like in beat saber the controllers sometimes loose tracking for a fraction of a second. In beat saber this results in the saber jumping next to my head and back to my hand (obviously making me miss a block). Never seen this happen in games with slow movement, so might have to do with tracking speed limitations or maybe if I do swings where one hand goes behind the other arm and headset cant see that controller?
Wonder if that is normal behavior, maybe some glitches that get fixed with future firmware updates or if there is something technically wrong with my controllers or headset.
Tagged:

Comments

• enigma01enigma01 Posts: 240
    Nexus 6
    I’ve been having the same issues as described here. The tracking issue on my right controller has gotten worse following the latest software update (256550.6810.0). I can be hitting blocks directly in front of me, so should be in plain sight of the headset sensors, but my right saber will drift off the the right or left and be no where near where the controller actually is. I do believe this is hopefully due to software and can be fixed, as it got worse directly after the software update installed. Ironically the software update was meant to improve tracking! 
  • JaimieVandenberghJaimieVandenbergh Posts: 255
    Nexus 6
    It's not just you - those issues have been reported here in the forums a fair few times, and we're expecting software fixes. If you haven't had the 'right ear audio goes to white noise' issue yet, that's in the same class. A reboot seems to fix most of these things for quite some time, so it's probably memory leaks or some such. 
  • enigma01enigma01 Posts: 240
    Nexus 6
    edited June 27
    It's not just you - those issues have been reported here in the forums a fair few times, and we're expecting software fixes. 
    Software version 256550.6810.0 was released just a couple day ago 25th June, and Oculus Support on this forum said about the update “Our most recent update contains improvements to tracking which also makes Guardian even more precise.” This update has actually made my tracking worse, are you saying that somewhere since this update Oculus have made another announcement that they are working on software fixes to address tracking issues that the latest update was supposed to improve? 
  • RyusLightworksRyusLightworks Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Well it sounds like it is just a software issue then.
    Looks like if tracking is lost or maybe just a little bad for a fraction of a second it resets to some default location. Fix would be easy to just keep last known position till tracking works again. Maybe if really needed as a failsafe that only after a full second of tracking issue reset it to default position, but use last known position till then.
    More reliable tracking is better then more precise tracking. Hope that there will be a patch to this soon ;)
  • VRBabe14VRBabe14 Posts: 188
    Art3mis
    Oculus Quest Status:
    RECEIVED Tues, May 21 2019 12:01 PM GMT
    UPDATE: FAULTY, ISSUED REPLACEMENT Fri, July 26 2019

Oculus Rift & Touch Bundle Status:
    RECEIVED Thurs, Sept 07 2017 2:38 PM GMT

Oculus Rift DK2
  • grimblethebanditgrimblethebandit Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    id just like to put my two cents in-- every time i jerkmy left controller upwards, it flies two feet up then locks in place briefly. nothing if i jerk it left or  right, nothing if i jerk it downwards.I can't see how my issue can possibly be anything but a spring issue
  • VRBabe14VRBabe14 Posts: 188
    Art3mis
    My left trigger button that has the finger pointing won't point while my right controller is fine. Anyone having the same problem? My battery is 90% on both controllers.
    Oculus Quest Status:
    RECEIVED Tues, May 21 2019 12:01 PM GMT
    UPDATE: FAULTY, ISSUED REPLACEMENT Fri, July 26 2019

Oculus Rift & Touch Bundle Status:
    RECEIVED Thurs, Sept 07 2017 2:38 PM GMT

Oculus Rift DK2