cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rumors Persist of MS / Rift-S Announcement at OC6

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
It was hinted at during E3 2019 but never materialised - now other sites seem to be running the story that the new Microsoft Xbone (Project Scarlett) will be able to support the Rift-S. 

"The Redmond-based company revealed a sneak peek of its next-gen console
codename ‘Project Scarlett’. This week a rumour has surfaced that the
console will supposedly support the Oculus Rift S."

https://www.vrfocus.com/2019/06/latest-xbox-scarlett-rumour-is-itll-support-oculus-rift-s/

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
37 REPLIES 37

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Ahh the long-awaited Oculus/Microsoft partnership that has been brooding for how many years now?

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
I find it hard to believe. If MS was going to integrate VR into the next Xbox, why Rift rather than the multitude of cheaper WMR handsets that run on their own SDK?

If they did dive into VR, they could give Kinect a whole new life as a supplement to WMR’s lousy tracking. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
I agree @nalex66 - we have been hearing rumors that have failed to materalize since the parting-of-ways over the GamePads for the original CV1. Many have tried to claim that the two parties "had something big planned" and we saw how that panned out for the XBoneX!

I wondered if this would create such a rift in the WindowsMR cabal that it would implode - and that kinda could explain the recent dropping of the majority of WinMR headsets off the MS store.  But obviously a Samsung or even HP WinMR supported headset would be a easier political sell than Oculus (and offers a Asian sales slant)?

An important aspect of this rumor - is that it is "make or break" on a number of sources credibility. If OC6 passes, and no reveal of a MS announcement and a lot of peoples credibility will be burned from the VR community. Its a shakeup that has been needed as their is a large "emotionally invested" group feeding the grapevine that need to move on.

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

kojack
MVP
MVP

kevinw729 said:

create such a rift in the WindowsMR cabal

00of6n60ro5e.gif

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Anonymous
Not applicable
Why on earth would Microsoft do this when they already have WVR devices for the job?

If they do have VR headset support for the NextBox it won't have anything to do with Oculus unless OpenXR is released.

kojack
MVP
MVP

snowdog said:

Why on earth would Microsoft do this when they already have WVR devices for the job?

If they do have VR headset support for the NextBox it won't have anything to do with Oculus unless OpenXR is released.

Well, the Rift-S is kind of a WMR headset on steroids without the WMR software, and Lenovo is a Microsoft WMR partner.
Here's a crazy thought... the Go existed as both an Oculus headset in most of the world and a Xiaomi headset in china. Maybe there will be a Rift-S without the Oculus software that is branded as a Lenovo WMR headset, and that's what will run on the Scarlett.
Probably not though.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

ShocksVR
Superstar
That would be the only thing that would make me buy a Xbox Scarlett. 
I already own a PS4 and PSVR. With PS5 already confirmed to support the PSVR, that was going to be my next gen console.  But if Scarlett supports the Rift S then I'll probably go that way.

i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

Anonymous
Not applicable
I won't buy a Microsoft console or any other console these days out of principle. I refuse to pay for online play.

The only time I got my money's worth out of a Live subscription was when I saw the Curiosity landing on Mars live but I'm pretty sure I could have watched it elsewhere for free if I had made some effort to find it somewhere else.

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

snowdog said:

Possibly MS wants Oculus to deal with all the hardware, MS lets Oculus make the S work with the next xbox, MS now have VR on the machine at a vastly cheaper solution than developing their own, Oculus get access to the console market, plus there could be more in it than just that, the supposed collaboration might also incorporate the work MS were doing on their own VR before the put it on hiatus, but come September we will know, but i for one would love VR on the next xbox, i would then ditch the PS4 Pro and PSVR in a heartbeat if you give me Forza in vr. 😉

CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.