New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

I think Oculus Rift S changed my DisplayPort to HDMI

PyroGato64PyroGato64 Posts: 5
NerveGear
edited July 2019 in Oculus Rift S and Rift
Yesterday I opened my Oculus Rift S for the first time and everything worked well. Today I put the Oculus Rift S and it wont show image, I tried another DisplayPort on the GPU and it wont work either. I have a third DisplayPort and that where my monitor is in, I disconnected and connected the Oculus on that one and only on that it would show me image. I am not sure what happened, yesterday It would work no problem and even had my monitor hooked up and everything, today I dont know what did it do but the displayports just dont work anymore. Anyone knows whats going on? I searched over if there was something that "deactivated" the displayports on my GPU but nothing.

Comments

• RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 1,175
    Wintermute
    edited July 2019
    Does your monitor work in the other DP's?

Also if using Nvidia hardware have you checked for firmware updates too?

Thanks to another poster ( @truthyat ) for this link:  https://www.nvidia.com/object/nv-uefi-update-x64.html

PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.
    Rift S
    Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
  • PyroGato64PyroGato64 Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    It doesnt work on the other DP's, thats why I think the Oculus just straight up killed them 

I checked firmware updates too and everything is good. No updates.
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,916 Valuable Player
    edited July 2019
    Maybe the display ports just failed on their own. Is it even possible for the Rift-S to damage your DP? It just seems more likely that they failed.
    i7 9700k 2080ti   CV1, Rift-S, Index
  • sraurasraura Posts: 590
    Trinity
    edited July 2019
    It is possible that your display adapter ports died. It is also possible that your power supply is dying or is overloaded. However as your rift was working, I would expect that there is some much more simple answer like some display setting what has changed or display drivers which got updated automatically. Try pressing left windows key + "P" for starters and see what it says... Also type "device manager" to search box and hit enter. Check that there are no "non working devices" under display adapters, monitors or imaging devices.
    It is very unlikely that rift killed your ports (and even more unlikely that it did and still works after that).
    And as easy solution - if you have other ports (non display ports) on your gpu -perhaps you can connect your monitor to one of those. Either with another cable or with adapter.
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,901 Valuable Player
    Open a support ticket.  On their old rift it was seen as a virtual monitor, it caused all kinds of problems in the early days but they fixed it.  It might have something to do with virtual monitors.
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,142 Valuable Player
    You may also try reseating your gpu card.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• jayhawkjayhawk Posts: 824
    3Jane
    I wonder if displayports are touchy. The displayport input on my monitor died.
    NerveGear
    The other two display ports just wont work at all, I tried connecting other stuff, other monitors onto those and nothing, no signal or anything. I already opened a ticket with Oculus and they are checking my logs.

One thing that I did find is that If I plug the oculus into the first display port (the one my monitor is currently in use) It will show image, but still its pretty weird that the other two display ports just stopped working.

Again I used the DP the first time I used my Oculus and no problem, just weird they dont work from one day to another.
    NerveGear
    Update report: Oculus just send me some solutions, I erased Oculus and all of its appdata/appdatalocal/roaming data, everything, then used the DDU on nvidia, updated my graphics card and reinstall oculus software.

In the end none of this worked, the only thing is that my oculus somehow changed my graphics card behavior, from having 3 DP'S 1 HDMI and 1 DVI to 1 DP'S 3 HDMI 1DVI... I know its weird.

I am pretty much giving up, I am sending back this thing. I am really pissed on how this thing really affected my computer. 
  • sraurasraura Posts: 590
    Trinity
    ....changed my graphics card behavior, from having 3 DP'S 1 HDMI and 1 DVI to 1 DP'S 3 HDMI 1DVI... I know its weird.
    If this is the case, perhaps you should send your graphics card back instead... Sounds like it has wrong drivers or some other card's firmware.
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,916 Valuable Player

I am pretty much giving up, I am sending back this thing. I am really pissed on how this thing really affected my computer. 
    Oculus can't change your graphics card behavior. 

Uninstall Oculus, reinstall the graphics card drivers and then test the display ports with your monitor. If something is wrong then RMA your video card. 

*If you have an old graphics card laying around try that. Or buy a cheap display card and use that for testing. (It's always good to have a backup graphics card laying around. 
    i7 9700k 2080ti   CV1, Rift-S, Index
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,204 Valuable Player
    edited July 2019

LOL!!  It’s not the HMD fault whatsoever. The HMD is an OUTPUT DEVICE and IT IS NOT POSSIBLE FOR IT TO “AFFECT “ YOUR COMPUTER IN ANY WAY. 

That clear enough for you to understand?

NerveGear
    Digikid1 said:

LOL!!  It’s not the HMD fault whatsoever. The HMD is an OUTPUT DEVICE and IT IS NOT POSSIBLE FOR IT TO “AFFECT “ YOUR COMPUTER IN ANY WAY. 

I mean yeah just chill, what is wrong with you...

Anyway again, the graphics card was detecting 3 DP's its just a weird coincidence that the day after I first tried my Oculus just suddenly changed from 3 DP'S to 3 HDMI. Well, I will contact gigabyte.
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,204 Valuable Player
    Digikid1 said:

I mean yeah just chill, what is wrong with you...
    Sometimes in order to get a valid point across you need to be forceful.  Trust me when I say that even that was mild coming from me.  I own and operated two computer stores myself....it came with the territory.  Plus I am half Scottish and English so I can be naturally forceful.  I do not apologize for it.

That said.....you are now on the correct track and need to get that video card looked at.  One thing to consider is the drivers....did you update the drivers from Gigabyte or from NVIDIA?  Some models REQUIRE that you use just the drivers from the brand rather than the GPU maker.

If you feel like testing that out....use CCleaner...not DDU....to clean out your computer and registry ( do not worry as CCleaner automatically backs it up ) and try installing the drivers from Gigabyte website.

https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/builds - Use the SLIM version and UNCHECK the two middle options that link to your recycle bin.

Let us know if this works out for you.

• john.zigmontjohn.zigmont Posts: 122
    Art3mis
    Is your video card Aorus ? 
    If so unplug everything except the primary display and then cold shut down not a reboot. Power the computer back on.