cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GirlMirrorLook Based on Tuscany Demo

Dessimat0r
Honored Guest
This demo is based on the Tuscany demo project included with Unity 4 and using the Oculus VR extras. A girl avatar is attached to the camera controller, and the head motion of the girl avatar is calibrated to the controller so the girl moves her head as you move yours. A mirror is provided so you can see this effect. It's a bit rough around the edges, but I can try to improve it some in the forthcoming days.

Download: http://btcw.me/downloads/GirlMirrorLook.zip (Windows, set Rift as Primary screen, 1280×800, Full screen, use Fantastic if possible)

If you like it, consider donating some bitcoin to me (it would help go toward a Unity subscription perhaps): my address is 1JrHT9F96GjHYHHNFmBN2oRt79DDk5kzHq - thank you :mrgreen:

girlmirrorlook.jpg
69 REPLIES 69

AleksBeer
Honored Guest
Awesome. Any chance you could allow gender selection and do a model for both male and female?

Dessimat0r
Honored Guest
Yeah, that would be quite easy to do 🙂

wccrawford
Honored Guest
Interesting. Did you use Mechanim for the motion?

Also, did you know you can use command-line parameters and target the second monitor with Unity? -adapter 1 is what I use to have it come up on the Rift as a second monitor, instead of primary. Makes life a little easier.

Dessimat0r
Honored Guest
Didn't use Mechanim, just set the rotation of the neckbone to that of the camera object 😄 Nothing else is animated yet, like moving legs, so that looks a bit strange. There might be some animations built into the model that I need to check.

Dessimat0r
Honored Guest
Thanks for the advice about the command line parameters too. I'll have to use that. Only problem is that the adapter IDs seem to move around all the time, connecting and disconnecting the Rift. Sometimes it'll be adapter #1, at other times it'll be #3. Ah, Windows.

ianmacmillan
Explorer
"Dessimat0r" wrote:
Thanks for the advice about the command line parameters too. I'll have to use that. Only problem is that the adapter IDs seem to move around all the time, connecting and disconnecting the Rift. Sometimes it'll be adapter #1, at other times it'll be #3. Ah, Windows.

If you've got a powerful enough PC, try duplicating your primary monitor onto the Rift, then in Unity's resolution selection dialog, select full-screen mode (uncheck windowed), and choose the resolution of your primary monitor ( in my case, 1920x1080). The Rift's controller box will downscale the image nicely, and vsync will follow whatever your primary monitor is config'ed for (presumably, you would force it on in the video card's settings).

This technique works perfectly for me, and I can just leave the Rift plugged in all the time. No fuss, no muss.

BTW, I tried unsuccessfully to use Unity's command line adapter selection. I just got flashing screens.

cybereality
Grand Champion
This is amazing. Even in such an early state, I can see how seeing an avatar in the mirror can really increase the sense of presence. I really just wanted to pick up my arms and see my fingers move and all that. But it's a great start.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

gray
Honored Guest
"cybereality" wrote:
This is amazing. Even in such an early state, I can see how seeing an avatar in the mirror can really increase the sense of presence. I really just wanted to pick up my arms and see my fingers move and all that. But it's a great start.

Yes, it would be nice with Hydra integration.

roculus99
Protege
Wow, this is surprisingly cool. This limited but effective avatar embodiment really shows the potential. After moving your head around so you "feel" it is you, then looking directly in the eyes feels... interesting. Hydra support would add a lot, but eye tracking would really put it over the top. As a shortcut, you could always have the "reflected" eyes looking into the "real" avatar eyes.

Nice work.