New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Why no summer sale for Quest ?

Comments

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,106 Valuable Player
    edited July 2019
    But I bet you would be equally put out if  a couple of weeks after release oculus suddenly knocked £50 off the quest and put that £30 game you just bought on at 50% off. I remember when touch had its discount. 
    People were a bit put out. I was too to be honest given for the entire time they were full price the damn things didn't work properly. 
    I stayed the course confident oculus would fix it. And they did ... But I should have refunded as by the time it was fixed the price was slashed.

The same would happen here except "way to encourage early adopters" would instead be "way to thank early adopters"
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,782 Valuable Player
    edited July 2019
    edmg said:
    Zenbane said:
    edmg said:
    I guess Oculus just want to punish early adopters for some reason.

Why is it a "punishment"? You could just get a job!
    I have a job. That doesn't mean I think it's a good customer experience to buy a new headset, see the Oculus store making a fuss about the sale... and not put a single Quest title on sale.

Way to encourage early adopters, Oculus.

It's not a bad customer experience either. The headset is very new, and there's no way to say that a sale is "never" going to happen. It is just not happening now, when you feel entitled to it. The term "customer experience" doesn't account for self-entitlement.

You also don't seem to understand what the phrase "early adopter" entails. At no point does "early adopter" involve getting cheap prices. That's not even close to how "early adoption" works. When someone chooses to become an early adopter, they are choosing to spend "the most amount."

A sale occurs when something has been on the market for an extended period of time. An early adopter is someone who purchases something the moment it becomes available. So if you're whining about needing a sale price, then guess what? You're not an early adopter.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • FeroxDFeroxD Posts: 32
    Brain Burst
    Spuzzum said:
    FeroxD said:
    I really I am now upset by buying a quest, no discounts, not a lot of games, and you need to buy games two times for rift and again for the quest.

The devs spend numerous hours creating the game for the Rift, then they have to spend just as many hours to create the game all over again for the Quest. If they decide to give you a copy for the Quest for free because you own it on the Rift, that's up to them, but shouldn't be expected. Did Sony give a free copy of a game ported to PSP that someone already bought for PS2?
    No, it's not so much time to remake the created game. I develop PC project and after i build project to the quest! I don't need to make all project from start! If you don't know please don't write that. Like when you have a project for PS4 you can easy and fast remake that project for xbox.
    edited July 2019
    FeroxD said:
    I develop PC project and after i build project to the quest!
    Hmm, seems like you are lying since earlier you said that you did not build to the Quest:

You can check my work and that product for mobile VR and i made it for all mobile VR devices except Quest I'm still developing the project.
    https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/comment/694083/#Comment_694083
    When you have a real project available on Quest via the Oculus Store, then you can talk. And it doesn't count in your case, because of course you can probably easily port when this is the kind of stuff you're building:

You can't build stuff like that and then talk as if you know what it takes to build real projects across multiple platforms. You are basically building Clip Art concepts and then complaining about the price of a Picasso.
  • SpuzzumSpuzzum Posts: 843
    3Jane
    edited July 2019
    FeroxD said:
    Spuzzum said:
    FeroxD said:
    I really I am now upset by buying a quest, no discounts, not a lot of games, and you need to buy games two times for rift and again for the quest.

The devs spend numerous hours creating the game for the Rift, then they have to spend just as many hours to create the game all over again for the Quest. If they decide to give you a copy for the Quest for free because you own it on the Rift, that's up to them, but shouldn't be expected. Did Sony give a free copy of a game ported to PSP that someone already bought for PS2?
    No, it's not so much time to remake the created game. I develop PC project and after i build project to the quest! I don't need to make all project from start! If you don't know please don't write that. Like when you have a project for PS4 you can easy and fast remake that project for xbox.
    lol...ok. So, reducing polygons, removing shadows, reflections and puddles and such, then reducing the frame rate from 90 down to 72...and still be smooth...is a quick flick of a switch?? Whatever you say dude. o.O
    3Jane
    edited July 2019
    There was a thead on Reddit shortly after the cross-buy was announced, and an actual known dev gave his input. My explanation was basically paraphrasing what he had said. I'll take his word over yours.
    3Jane
    Go look at Robo Recall on the Rift, then look at Robo Recall: Unplugged for the Quest. See how much work was done on that to get it actually playing on the Quest. Don't forget...they have to meet Oculus' standards for the Quest Store...and that includes not making people sick.
  • denodandenodan Posts: 40
    Brain Burst
    They wont have a sale when its just come out, this is silly. Stop being tight and just buy the games. Want a game sale? Then why not just sell your quest and get the go.

I cannot beleive people moaning when its only just come out.
    Brain Burst
    Zenbane said:
    FeroxD said:
    I develop PC project and after i build project to the quest!
    Hmm, seems like you are lying since earlier you said that you did not build to the Quest:

You can check my work and that product for mobile VR and i made it for all mobile VR devices except Quest I'm still developing the project.
    https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/comment/694083/#Comment_694083
    When you have a real project available on Quest via the Oculus Store, then you can talk. And it doesn't count in your case, because of course you can probably easily port when this is the kind of stuff you're building:

You can't build stuff like that and then talk as if you know what it takes to build real projects across multiple platforms. You are basically building Clip Art concepts and then complaining about the price of a Picasso.
    No, you just not clever forum troll who did not develop anything and i think not even on one VR platform.
    Brain Burst
    Spuzzum said:
    Go look at Robo Recall on the Rift, then look at Robo Recall: Unplugged for the Quest. See how much work was done on that to get it actually playing on the Quest. Don't forget...they have to meet Oculus' standards for the Quest Store...and that includes not making people sick.
    They could make a small discount, and not simply ignore one device..
    3Jane
    FeroxD said:
    Spuzzum said:
    They could make a small discount, and not simply ignore one device..

Or Oculus can pick up the tab...
    3Jane
    Like I said earlier...did Sony give you a free copy of a game ported to PSP just because you already bought it for PS2? And as I said about Robo Recall...look at how much they had to change just to get it running on the Quest. Then all the testing they had to do. That must have taken a minimum of a few hundred hours. You may work for free, but not everybody.
    FeroxD said:
    No, you just not clever forum troll who did not develop anything and i think not even on one VR platform.

I haven't built anything fancy yet, but then again... neither have you.

Two years ago I messed around with WebVR and A-Frame:

I'm working on an Enterprise VR Project that won't be available on any Store though. I'm building it for the company I work for. But it doesn't matter... your mediocre attempt to call me a troll won't take away from the fact that it is incredibly silly for you to demand a Discount on such a new piece of hardware. And trying to over-glorify your Clipart VR App as if you understand what it means to build to multiple platforms is equally silly.
    Brain Burst
    Zenbane said:
    FeroxD said:

I haven't built anything fancy yet, but then again... neither have you.

Two years ago I messed around with WebVR and A-Frame:

I'm working on an Enterprise VR Project that won't be available on any Store though. I'm building it for the company I work for. But it doesn't matter... your mediocre attempt to call me a troll won't take away from the fact that it is incredibly silly for you to demand a Discount on such a new piece of hardware. And trying to over-glorify your Clipart VR App as if you understand what it means to build to multiple platforms is equally silly.
    I'm working on the PC VR project for HTC/Oculus and controllers are the same and it's working on both devices. Ok this is your opinion
    FeroxD said:
    I'm working on the PC VR project for HTC/Oculus and controllers are the same and it's working on both devices. Ok this is your opinion

Everything is an opinion in this thread, including your thoughts on how games are built to Rift and Quest, and including your notions about when a sale should occur. While you are entitled to your opinion (just like everyone else), unfortunately you have not done a good job of making a strong case. In fact, you have resorted to hyperbole to try to force your opinion; which is usually a sign that the opinion is without merit.
    Brain Burst
    Zenbane said:
    FeroxD said:

Everything is an opinion in this thread, including your thoughts on how games are built to Rift and Quest, and including your notions about when a sale should occur. While you are entitled to your opinion (just like everyone else), unfortunately you have not done a good job of making a strong case. In fact, you have resorted to hyperbole to try to force your opinion; which is usually a sign that the opinion is without merit.
    So this is my opinion, I'm not very pleased when my only device did not give a discount when I wanted to buy specific games. Again it's my opinion.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,869 Valuable Player
    edited July 2019
    FeroxD said:
    So this is my opinion, I'm not very pleased when my only device did not give a discount when I wanted to buy specific games. Again it's my opinion.
    But you shared your opinion here in the forums so people are giving you their opinion. People have been trying to explain why an Oculus Quest sale isn't going to happen right now. There will be sales in the future, but it's a new device and Oculus and devs want to make a profit like any company does at first.
    FeroxD said:

Your "only" device? I thought you said you built to Mobile and PC as well? I sense quite of bit of untruths.

Even if it were your only device, that is completely irrelevant.
    Brain Burst
    edited July 2019
    Zenbane said:
    FeroxD said:

Your "only" device? I thought you said you built to Mobile and PC as well? I sense quite of bit of untruths.

At home yes, and yesterday i got Oculus rift S
    FeroxD said:

So if yesterday you bought a Rift-S, then that means today when you said your Quest is your only VR HMD... that was a lie. Because today comes after yesterday. lol
    Brain Burst
    neither was it a lie, I bought it for work. And my post was when I had quest. And with rift i can buy some apps on the summer sale. What i don't want to do on quest.
  • KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 1,201
    Wintermute
    Now that you got a rift-s. Buy a lot from the summersale while still on discount.
     Otherwise we will have to listen to you complaining that the summersale was over just when you got your "new" hmd.

Also, you know jack about transporting resources from one platform to another. Even if it was as easy as you would like it to be, doesnt mean that Oculus should give sales for the Quest 1½ month after its release.
    Jesus christ .. lol

Be good, die great !
    Brain Burst
    edited July 2019
    KlodsBrik said:
    Now that you got a rift-s. Buy a lot from the summersale while still on discount.
     Otherwise we will have to listen to you complaining that the summersale was over just when you got your "new" hmd.

Also, you know jack about transporting resources from one platform to another. Even if it was as easy as you would like it to be, doesnt mean that Oculus should give sales for the Quest 1½ month after its release.
    Jesus christ .. lol

Lol did you know that oculus rift S also releases 1½ after ? Haha. Rift S and Quest are started selling at one and the same time
    FeroxD said:
    Lol did you know that oculus rift S also releases 1½ after ? Haha. Rift S and Quest are started selling at one and the same time

The summer sale for Rift-S is for the Rift CV1 as well, which started selling 3 years ago, in 2016. Nice try though.

FeroxD said:
    neither was it a lie, I bought it for work.

Doesn't matter what you bought it for. At the time you typed that you only have a Quest, it was a lie, because you had both a Quest and Rift-S when you said it.
    Brain Burst
    Zenbane said:
    FeroxD said:

The summer sale for Rift-S is for the Rift CV1 as well, which started selling 3 years ago, in 2016. Nice try though.

FeroxD said:
    neither was it a lie, I bought it for work.

Doesn't matter what you bought it for. At the time you typed that you only have a Quest, it was a lie, because you had both a Quest and Rift-S when you said it.
    It does not matter what I have or what I had. That's what I have, or who I am, does not matter. Here is chat about a single device which has not been added under the discount.
    edited July 2019
    FeroxD said:
    It does not matter what I have or what I had.
    Then why did you bring it up?

That's what I have, or who I am, does not matter.

You're arguing with yourself at this point, since it was you who brought up what you have and who you are.

Here is chat about a single device which has not been added under the discount.

You have been given some very logical and intelligent explanations as to why your expectation of an early discount is rather unreasonable.

Brain Burst
    Zenbane said:
    FeroxD said:
    It does not matter what I have or what I had.
    Then why did you bring it up?

That's what I have, or who I am, does not matter.

You're arguing with yourself at this point, since it was you who brought up what you have and who you are.

Here is chat about a single device which has not been added under the discount.

You have been given some very logical and intelligent explanations as to why your expectation of an early discount is rather unreasonable.

I have already explained to you that this is not my personal opinion I will not explain to you many times.
    And for Oculus forum protect how much money you got for message or hour?
    FeroxD said:I have already explained to you that this is not my personal opinion I will not explain to you many times.

You didn't explain it, you just typed it. No one needs you to say that what you are typing is your opinion. Everything typed about this matter is an opinion.

Actually, I get paid for the number of IQ points I protect. And I get aid in "thank you's." :p

Now if only you could figure out how to get paid for making bad arguments, and you'd have so much money that you wouldn't need a software sale!
    Brain Burst
    Zenbane said:
    FeroxD said:I have already explained to you that this is not my personal opinion I will not explain to you many times.

You didn't explain it, you just typed it. No one needs you to say that what you are typing is your opinion. Everything typed about this matter is an opinion.

Actually, I get paid for the number of IQ points I protect. And I get aid in "thank you's." :p

Now if only you could figure out how to get paid for making bad arguments, and you'd have so much money that you wouldn't need a software sale!

• falken76falken76 Posts: 2,887 Valuable Player
    edited August 2019
    FeroxD said:
    Zenbane said:
    FeroxD said:

I thought you already had one since you were talking about how easy it was to port from one platform to the other.