cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't use my Rift, it freezes in every apps after about a minute.

Khalietal
Sightseer
[Edit1] TL;DR: My Rift seems to be struggling to play games that makes the audio video in the HMD freeze and disappear. I nailed it down to Beat Saber causing issues specifically. I haven't found a solution for Beat Saber but my Riff works perfectly if I avoid Beat Saber, for now. 

I hope my Rift CV1 is alright because I treat it really well and take good care of it and I use it about twice a month for a couple hours only so it's minimally worn, still looks brand new. Last week I was going to play some Beat Saber, starting a tune, play for a little while until audio stops, graphics stops (still showing but its a fixed image) and then eventually the screen goes black. If I am patient enough, it sometimes comes back but it will glitch the same way pretty much as quickly as it did at first. I got to Alt+F4 my way out, restart my PC and start Oculus again.

You guys will ask about my setup but it is Optimal and carefully designed to never have a bad connection to the sensors or the Headset. My UEFI settings prioritize my Rift USB ports I selected so the bandwidth would be given to the headset and sensors first.

Headset on USB 3.0, same for the 2 front sensors (1 sharing bandwidth with the headset, the other one has its own USB 3.0 controller to itself. Finally the rear sensor is USB 2.1 and I usually make sure every "fluff" has been disconnected prior to launching the Rift except my Keyboard and Mouse. If I connect all sensors and HMD they all show perfect connection in the devices' info and after a game too. The sensors or the headset don't feel like they are failing me hardware wise so it must be something else (I hope anyway.) Forgot to mention that I use 1 Active USB extension with every sensor, no extension cables on the HMD.

So I wonder why this happens. I'm out of all Beta features other than the wrist watch and I even made a fresh install of the Store to make sure everything was fine.
I have a Solid EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 TI, an Intel i7-8700K CPU and a Asus Maximus X Hero as a board loaded with 64 GB of DDR4 RAM.
I don't have a single issue with any other tasks/gaming I do with this beast of a PC and my Oculus Rift never caused me that kind of grief before.

I need some inspiration to dig out a solution. It's been hard to convince my wife to want to play with me and 3 times in a row it just won't let us enjoy the moment at all. 😞
Help!
5 REPLIES 5

sraura
Heroic Explorer
You said that "audio stops, graphics stops (still showing but its a fixed image) and then eventually the screen goes black".
The fact that also audio stops, means that the application (in this case a game) has freezed.
You also said that "it sometimes comes back but it will glitch the same way pretty much as quickly as it did at first"
This might indicate that some hardware component is unable to do what windows wants it to do - for a while or up to the point that computer is restarted.
Easiest explanation is heat like always on random crashes/freezes. Would recommend opening your computer case and checking all heatsinks for dust and also checking that all your fans work normally.
Also would recommend updating your audio and gfx drivers.

Khalietal
Sightseer
This is great. I'll check everything you mentioned. I'll update on what I find

Khalietal
Sightseer
Beat Saber seems to be causing my issues. Whenever I play even once in a session it generates the glitch until full system restart. I have just spent 30 mins playing Fruit Ninja, Shooty Fruity, Minecraft and Xion with ZERO issues.
I will be making more tests before pointing my finger with any kind of blame (I don't like blaming devs, especially for such a great game as Beat Saber)

Keep you guys in touch (pun intended)

sraura
Heroic Explorer
Nice. Remember to update display drivers too as it might make some difference... or reinstall the game if it for some reason has corrupted.

Khalietal
Sightseer
I looked exactly at that too. Everything was up to date and fresh. So far no more crashing without starting Beat Saber. Everything is smooth butter. I'm going to only start Beat Saber like I start SuperHot, by going to the .exe manually. Maybe I will work around that glitch perfectly. (Eh?)

[E1] I will eventually reconnect all my usual devices until I confirm my theory, or simply trip on the real culprit in my setup. Keeping you guys posted as usual