Some good news about eye tracking. — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Some good news about eye tracking.

RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,255 Valuable Player
edited July 9 in General
Just hope this isn't to far away because it's really what VR really needs to propel it to the next level.

Comments

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,744 Valuable Player
    Probably 2022 I would have thought, and someone (probably HTC if they're still in business) will end up releasing a crap, more expensive and unfinished version a year before just so that they can beat Oculus to the punch.

I firmly believe that Oculus could have released the Half Dome prototype as the Rift 2 this year (without the varifocal feature) but decided not to because it would have cost around a grand in price to buy. We'll see it in 2022 for $599/£599 and thanks to the delay we'll see it having the varifocal feature too.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,255 Valuable Player
    Hoping there's something a bit sooner then 2202 because I don't think Rift S will see us through until 2022. There needs to be something sooner to compete with the likes of HTC Cosmos at-least. It just annoys me a bit because Oculus could kill of the competition if they catered for the higher end graphics card users too. A Rift S &  Rift S Pro would do the trick for a couple of years, but they need to produce something like a Rift S Pro so that people have more of a choice.
    People keep on harping on about the 'low' resolution of the Rift S (1440p) compared to the Index and Cosmos (both 1600p) but there REALLY isn't that much of a difference.

It wouldn't be worth the bother of Oculus releasing a 1600p headset because that resolution is so close to 1440p. People would end up moaning that it isn't a big enough leap from 1440p.

And if they instead go for a 2160p headset hardly anyone would have a PC powerful enough to run the thing.

And if HTC don't do their usual and price themselves out of the market for once, and release the Cosmos for $399 or $499 (and I can't see that happening anyway, we're looking at $599 at least imo) then Oculus can just cut the price to $299.

They'll probably end up selling the thing at cost if they did that as opposed to making (imo) ~$100 profit on each unit sold but the option is there if they need to.

The Rift S isn't going to have any competition, it's going to sell more than the Index, Reverb and Cosmos because it has great software, a competitive price and the resolution isn't blown away by any other headsets apart from the Pimax and Reverb, both of which have issues.

Depending on what HTC do with the Cosmos they can temporarily drop the price around Christmas to $349 and make that a permanent price cut next year one year after it has released. And if the HTC Cosmos is competitively priced they can do the same thing to $299 instead.

It's all about headsets on heads at the end of the day, I too was disappointed with the specs of the Rift S but looking at the big picture I understand that Oculus and Facebook have been doing what's best for VR so I had no problems buying it.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

edited July 9
    @snowdog - Some people are harping on because they have a highend computer and no VR headset to do it justice. It's alright for people to say a higher resolution isn't needed, but if a Geforce 1070 is capable of running a Rift S ( link below) then I'm sure a Geforce 1080 ti or 2080 ti is capable of a much higher resolutions then that of the Rift S. There's also the wonderful ASW 2.0, if it's needed.
    All we talking about is a display change for those people who want a higher resolution. Oculus Quest has 2 models for preferred storage for people who want more storage, so what is wrong with giving people with highend computers a choice to have a higher resolution VR headset? Oculus say they want more people in VR, but all they've done is make the likes of me and others turn to the HP Reverb instead, which has it's crappy controllers btw.
    I'll be glad when the HP Reverb is back in stock and I'll just order that instead. It's just a shame the HP Reverb has problems like all the other VR headsets, but they are fixing these problems and the UK is getting them back in stock in August. There are lots of people interested in the HP Reverb because of it's resolution and it's just a shame Oculus doesn't want to cater for this market too.
    I would prefer something like a Rift S Pro to have the HP Reverbs resolution, but even the resolution of the Valve index makes quite a big difference according to all the reviews I've read.

• LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,005 Valuable Player
    Come on Oculus, that's the spirit :)
    I'm afraid they just want to cater for the Geforce 1060 upto a Geforce 1080 by the looks of it. Saying that though a Geforce 1080 could do a good job of running a 1600p screen. I'll wait to see what they say in Sept though because apparently they said this (below).

“The future we’ve all been working towards starts here. It’s our moment to think bigger, build smarter, and realize the true potential of what we’ve created together. This year, we hope you’ll join us to begin a new chapter of virtual and augmented reality.”
    Think bigger and build smarter? Could be a Rift S Pro :D

• LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,005 Valuable Player
    edited July 9
    Maybe, it's encouraging they are looking at putting in new tech in the headsets. It would be good not to have to buy a 2080TI just to have a reasonable clarity.

• OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 432
    Trinity
    RedRizla said:
    I'm afraid they just want to cater for the Geforce 1060 upto a Geforce 1080 by the looks of it. Saying that though a Geforce 1080 could do a good job of running a 1600p screen. I'll wait to see what they say in Sept though because apparently they said this (below).

“The future we’ve all been working towards starts here. It’s our moment to think bigger, build smarter, and realize the true potential of what we’ve created together. This year, we hope you’ll join us to begin a new chapter of virtual and augmented reality.”
    Think bigger and build smarter? Could be a Rift S Pro :D

I also run a Dell vr visor for sitting down sims and it has 1440x1440 for each eye and it runs with no issues on a GTX1080, and has room to spare, so a 1600 per eye should be no issue for a 1080.
    edited July 9
    Maybe, it's encouraging they are looking at putting in new tech in the headsets. It would be good not to have to buy a 2080TI just to have a reasonable clarity.

You don't need to buy a Geforce 2080ti to have reasonable clarity. I know a few people who purchased the Samsung Odyssey plus and just use a Geforce 1080. The Odyssey Plus has a resolution of 1440 x 1600.

RedRizla said:
    @snowdog - Some people are harping on because they have a highend computer and no VR headset to do it justice. It's alright for people to say a higher resolution isn't needed, but if a Geforce 1070 is capable of running a Rift S ( link below) then I'm sure a Geforce 1080 ti or 2080 ti is capable of a much higher resolutions then that of the Rift S. There's also the wonderful ASW 2.0, if it's needed.
    All we talking about is a display change for those people who want a higher resolution. Oculus Quest has 2 models for preferred storage for people who want more storage, so what is wrong with giving people with highend computers a choice to have a higher resolution VR headset? Oculus say they want more people in VR, but all they've done is make the likes of me and others turn to the HP Reverb instead, which has it's crappy controllers btw.
    I'll be glad when the HP Reverb is back in stock and I'll just order that instead. It's just a shame the HP Reverb has problems like all the other VR headsets, but they are fixing these problems and the UK is getting them back in stock in August. There are lots of people interested in the HP Reverb because of it's resolution and it's just a shame Oculus doesn't want to cater for this market too.
    I would prefer something like a Rift S Pro to have the HP Reverbs resolution, but even the resolution of the Valve index makes quite a big difference according to all the reviews I've read.

Like I've already mentioned, an increase to 1600p won't be a big enough increase for most people. They'll be changing from the 1440p resolution for the Rift S to a 1600p resolution for the Rift S Pro. And that change would increase the price of the Rift S Pro too. The Rift S is priced so low because it's using the same display as the Oculus Go.

A 2160p resolution would be the only option because it's a significant step up from 1440p, 1600p isn't a big enough leap.

And there is only a small minority of people with a GPU powerful enough to run a 2160p headset, it wouldn't be worth doing for Oculus. Releasing these headsets isn't cheap.

• SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,121
    Wintermute
    edited July 9
    RedRizla said:
    Hoping there's something a bit sooner then 2202 because I don't think Rift S will see us through until 2022. There needs to be something sooner to compete with the likes of HTC Cosmos at-least. It just annoys me a bit because Oculus could kill of the competition if they catered for the higher end graphics card users too. A Rift S &  Rift S Pro would do the trick for a couple of years, but they need to produce something like a Rift S Pro so that people have more of a choice.

It's true because most of us here have high end GPU's and want high end VR I guess, and I too want Oculus to release another high end VR HMD in 2020. December 2020 would suit me fine now that Rift S tracking has been fixed I can enjoy games again on Rift S until then. 
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!