cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Unfriendly to Families - Oculus Please Fix This

Tugennov
Explorer
I just got an Oculus Quest for my family of 5.  I was very disappointed to discover that you can only have one account on each device.  Moreover, in the (limited) number of games that I've tried so far, there are not multiple save files for the games.  So, effectively, this means that only one person can play a game at a time and not until that person has completed the game can the next person start playing the game or else the original player's game file will get copied over.  This is very unfriendly for families.  Maybe Oculus is trying to get us to buy multiple Quests, one for each family member, but we don't have that sort of money and most families don't.  This approach has already resulted in a negative vibe towards the system among a couple of my kids.  Oculus, I hope you change your approach and allow multiple accounts on a single quest (with game sharing) or at least require game developers to put several save game slots on their games.  This also is a problem on the Oculus Go that needs to be fixed.
81 REPLIES 81

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Excellent sensationalist headline.

This has been how the platform has worked since the Rift CV1 was released back in 2016. One account per user. Even Netflix makes you pay more to allow multiple people to use your Account.

As for the "number of save game" slots, that is controlled by the Developer of the game, not Oculus. So contact them directly.

Lastly, you don't really have to buy multiple headsets... you just need to learn how to Take Turns. Which is what good families do!
😉

Tugennov
Explorer
The goal is to make sharing and taking turns easier.  Xbox, PlayStation, Nintendo all allow many users on one console device.  Steam allows you to share games within a family.  Apple on iOS allows you to share purchased apps and music within a family.  Multiple users can use Netflix on one TV at no extra cost.  Oculus can require developers to have multiple save files for content released on Oculus platforms.  

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Tugennov said:

Oculus can require developers to have multiple save files for content released on Oculus platforms. 

This is not something Oculus should impose. And those VR games that don't have multiple Save files implement it the exact same way on Steam. So this isn't something specific to Oculus at all.

grayhaze
Protege
Multiple user accounts are currently the second most requested feature on Oculus' UserVoice, so there's clearly a desire for this feature from the masses, myself included. Letting someone try the Quest and being able to start an experience from the beginning without wiping out my existing progress is a pretty big deal, and something consoles have long supported. As Oculus seem to be positioning the Quest as a VR console, it makes sense that they'd support something like this.

https://oculus.uservoice.com/forums/921937-oculus-quest/suggestions/37711489-multiple-users

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

grayhaze said:

Multiple user accounts are currently the second most requested feature on Oculus' UserVoice, so there's clearly a desire for this feature from the masses, myself included. Letting someone try the Quest and being able to start an experience from the beginning without wiping out my existing progress is a pretty big deal, and something consoles have long supported. As Oculus seem to be positioning the Quest as a VR console, it makes sense that they'd support something like this.

https://oculus.uservoice.com/forums/921937-oculus-quest/suggestions/37711489-multiple-users

It's the Software Developers that need to allow for the multiple Save files. Also, Quest is not a console.

grayhaze
Protege
You're entitled to your strongly-held opinions @Zenbane, just as we are ours. The Quest is essentially a console from the point of view of being a self-contained system that plays games, amongst other things.

While it's true that it's down to developers to support multiple save files, that's only half the story. A proper multi-user system offers more benefits than just saving games, such as being able to have a separate unique identity in online experiences without everyone that uses the device appearing as the owner.

You also can't apply the same expectations to the Quest as to PCVR, as it's clearly marketed to a different audience.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

grayhaze said:

You're entitled to your strongly-held opinions @Zenbane, just as we are ours. The Quest is essentially a console from the point of view of being a self-contained system that plays games, amongst other things.

This is not a matter of opinion, but a matter a fact. A PC is also a self-contained system that plays games, amongst other things. Yet a PC is also not a console. Just as Quest is not a console. It runs on a mobile platform. Big difference.

While it's true that it's down to developers to support multiple save files, that's only half the story.

It's enough of the story to satisfy the request presented in this thread. And that's all that matters.

A proper multi-user system offers more benefits than just saving games,

These VR HMD's are not advertised as "multi-user systems." They are single user systems thus far.

You also can't apply the same expectations to the Quest as to PCVR,

Many of the games on Quest are also available on PCVR. When it comes to certain features, such as Save Game Files, we most certainly can have the same expectations for the same titles that exist across multiple platforms.

grayhaze
Protege
This is not a matter of opinion, but a matter a fact. A PC is also a self-contained system that plays games, amongst other things. Yet a PC is also not a console. Just as Quest is not a console. It runs on a mobile platform. Big difference.
 A game console is a fixed-hardware device with a primary focus on playing games. The Nintendo Switch runs on a mobile processor too, so would you argue that isn't a game console?

It's enough of the story to satisfy the request presented in this thread. And that's all that matters.

The original request specifically asks for the ability to have multiple accounts on the device. I understand reading is hard.

These VR HMD's are not advertised as "multi-user systems." They are single user systems thus far.

It doesn't matter how they're being advertised. It's how they're being used that matters.

Many of the games on Quest are also available on PCVR. When it comes to certain features, such as Save Game Files, we most certainly can have the same expectations for the same titles that exist across multiple platforms.

Many of the same games that are available on PC are also available for games consoles. And yet the console versions often offer features not on the PC versions and vice versa. Different platforms, different expectations.

Perhaps rather than just blindly defending Oculus on every thread and playing the troll, you'd benefit from a little humility and the ability to see things from other points of view.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

grayhaze said:

A game console is a fixed-hardware device with a primary focus on playing games.

That is not a valid definition of a console.

The Nintendo Switch runs on a mobile processor too, so would you argue that isn't a game console?

Nintendo Switch runs on its own OS, and it is a low level console, not the same as an XBox or PlayStation. That should be obvious.

The original request specifically asks for the ability to have multiple accounts on the device. I understand reading is hard.

Reading is definitely hard for you, this is a quote from the original post, "there are not multiple save files for the games"

It doesn't matter how they're being advertised. It's how they're being used that matters.

If you buy something without understanding what you are buying, then the problem is your own. If you misuse something due to your lack of knowledge and understanding, then your problems are self-imposed.

Many of the same games that are available on PC are also available for
games consoles. And yet the console versions often offer features not on
the PC versions and vice versa. Different platforms, different
expectations.

You offered nothing of value with those statements. The point that flew over your head is that the games do not offer multiples saves whether you buy them on the Quest, Rift, or SteamVR. It's a problem with the applications themselves.

Perhaps rather than just blindly defending Oculus on every thread

You are blindly championing ignorance in this thread, which is all that I'm addressing. If you are following me in to other threads and getting yourself upset by my views, then that's your problem. Self-imposed.

playing the troll

You have zero intellectual retorts, so you resort to namecalling. I have given a proper suggestion: Request multiple Save Game Files from the Software Developers. There is nothing "trollling" about that.

you'd benefit from a little humility and the ability to see things from other points of view.

Pot/Kettle.