Why has oculus never learned a thing about lenses? — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Why has oculus never learned a thing about lenses?

denodandenodan Posts: 40
Brain Burst
Why are they still using fernal lenses in the oculus that produce god Rays?

Sony did thing the proper decent way by having clear lenses, not the stupid lenses we have to put up with.

I am sure there were mods floating around where some had put psvr lenses in the rift adding to images being better and no god Rays  

Comments

• denodandenodan Posts: 40
    Brain Burst

Here is the link and its using gear vr lenses. Seems much improved over the lenses used it HTC and oculus
  • cybernettrcybernettr Posts: 912
    3Jane
     That’s why competition is a good thing. If you don’t like the lenses on Oculus, you could go with the HTC Vive or one of the other competitors. Personally, I don’t like the longevity of the rift (or the lack thereof, going through three headsets in three years), not to mention the whole rotten corporate culture of Facebook, so I might go with another brand when my current extended warranty runs out in early 2021.  Problem is I’ve got a big investment in games for the rift, but I can always keep it around and use it for nostalgic purposes. Hopefully, all available VR choices will be much better by then. 
  • SerpulaSerpula Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    Fresnel lenses give a wider field of view and a larger sweet spot than regular lenses. It’s a compromise.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,530 Volunteer Moderator
    The new lenses in the Go, Quest, and Rift S are much better than the CV1 lenses and have less prominent god rays, so clearly Oculus have learned something. DK2 had non-fresnel lenses like the Gear VR, and it suffered from different issues--more distortion (meaning more magnification and thus fewer pixels in the centre of view), more chromatic aberration, small sweet spot, more weight, etc. All the major current headsets use fresnel lenses because they offer a better solution overall.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,823 Valuable Player

If you don’t like the lenses on Oculus, you could go with the HTC Vive

Personally, I don’t like the longevity of the rift (or the lack thereof, going through three headsets in three years),

1) interesting advice to go from an oculus to another device which still uses fresnel lenses - and pretty poor ones at that.

2) I admit maths may not be my strongest suit however Rift CV1 and Rift S = 2  and over a much longer time scale than 3 years.    
    or are you suggesting that you have broke 3 of them in 3 years?  if so that is unfortunate but i would ask what do you do with them? i have 1000s of hrs in mine and it is still going strong (i have just put a new face plate in it however to freshen it up.

HTC OTOH - who you reccomended in point 1 - are close to releasing their 3rd HMD in a similar time frame and have serious build issue with their wands failing, as well as dont warranty sweat damage which is piss poor for a headset which encourages sweating. . ;)
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • cybernettrcybernettr Posts: 912
    3Jane
    bigmike20vt said:

1) interesting advice to go from an oculus to another device which still uses fresnel lenses - and pretty poor ones at that.

I’m not that familiar with the Vive, being an oculus guy myself, but the fact that they both use Fresnel suggests to me that it may have some advantages to counterbalance its perceived drawbacks.  Anyway, my main point is that you should go with a competing device that doesn’t use Fresnel if you don’t like it, such as PlayStation, (unless that also uses Fresnel of course). 

As far as play time, I put 1500 hours into Skyrim VR alone according to my steam stats and that doesn’t even count Fallout VR, which I’ve barely scratched the surface of, or the 50+ oculus games I’ve purchased.  I usually play VR in the evenings instead of watching television, and if you count the number of hours the average person watches television, it typically equals four or five hours a night. 

As far as sweat, having a fan on you all the time while in VR really helps.