Defector Is Available NOW - Impressions Please — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Defector Is Available NOW - Impressions Please

Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,576 Valuable Player
edited July 11 in Games and Apps
Sadly I can't get this to work with Quest just yet so in the mean time it would be great to hear some impressions. If good enough I might just unbox me old Rift.

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1524154440988718

Here are some reviews so far:

VR Focus - 8/10 https://www.vrfocus.com/2019/07/review-defector/
IGN - 6.6/10 - https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/07/11/defector-review
IGN Italy - 8.5/10 https://it.ign.com/defector-pc/157161/review/defector-la-recensione
Shacknews - N/A - https://www.shacknews.com/article/112806/defector-review-an-action-filled-virtual-joyride
Upload VR - 7/10 - https://uploadvr.com/defector-review/?amp
Mixed (German) - N/A - https://mixed.de/oculus-rift-hightech-agententhriller-defector-erschienen/

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 2,590 Valuable Player
    It's now rated at 96% based on 15 ratings, but the fans seem to be there first - still it's looking great. But we're visiting Grandma today and won't be home before it's late, sigh, and yes I do realize I could have remote-installed the game using the Oculus Android app IF I had left the rig on this morning, double-sigh... 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,111 Valuable Player
    Purchasing and downloading, but won't get to play it until later.

Saw some initial post that the game starts off strong, but gets a bit weak towards the end. If that's true, it's nothing a solid update can't fix. Can't wait to jump in!
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    Strange that the game is just $19.99, I expected $30 or 40, I wonder if this is another awesome gift from Zuckerberg  :)
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,576 Valuable Player
    Well I can at least start the game on Quest but can't nod my head to proceed. Looking good so far...ahem, at least it boots.

• WildtWildt Posts: 1,906 Valuable Player
    Flop
    Asus Z370-A ||  Watercooled 8700K || 16 GB gSkill DDR4 3200 || Samsung SSD 840PRO 256GB+850PRO 256GB+850EVO 500GB+970EVO 1TB || Watercooled FE Geforce 1080ti || Zalman Reserator XT watercooler || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3 || Asus ROG PG279Q  G-sync monitor
    According to several posts on Reddit the game has a strong start, but then feels rushed, then again many seem to expect quite a lot from Defector. All the hype can easily increase odds of being disappointed, personally I'm expecting a nice and fun game, not something that'll impress me more than Lone Echo  ;)

edited July 11
    I think people are seeing solid reviews of Blood & Truth (PSVR) and expecting the same from Defector.

Now 36 ratings, average rating 88% - still not bad, but a clear descent from 96 %. 

• SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,121
    Wintermute
    I'm only on the 2nd second mission so far, it's good but not amazing. And I reckon others will like this game more then me.

Because of Rift S tracking as well it's very annoying that my left hand keeps dangling in front of my face.

I'll keep playing it this weekend but I'm quite tired tonight so I quit for now. 

There's some really good parts and some not so good parts.

I would give the game 7/10 so far so I guess the price point is about right.
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,530 Volunteer Moderator
    I’ve bought it, but won’t get to play until later tonight (hopefully). Looks good, and I can’t complain about the price. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,500
    Project 2501
    I'm downloading now. Will play in minutes. 
  • rVRclosetrVRcloset Posts: 351
    Trinity
    I streamed this earlier.
    It looks really good and runs well, but it's extremely linear.
    Feels more like an interactive movie, and none of the interactions seems to play a role or have an outcome sadly.. There are some options mid level though that gives you an alternate path.
    I would say it's an avarage game based of what I have seen so far, done the first two missions.

The Closet Sim Rig
    Aourus Pro Z390 - i7 8086K 32GB Ram - MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio 11GB - Windows 10  / GT Omega WS - NLR V3 - RS6 - Jetseat kw-908 / Fanatec CSW 2.5 / Fanatec ClubSport V3 pedals / Fanatec SQ Shifter 1.5 / Fanatec CS HB V.1.5 / HE SQ Shifter / SHH Shifter / TH8A Shifter / G27 Shifter - Button Box / DSD Button Box / BBJ Button Box / Wind simulator / Rift - S
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 1,852
    Project 2501
    Psvr blood and truth is about 7-8 hours and received very high ratings priced at 40 dollars so the price at 19.99  about 4 hours for defector sounds right.
  • SmorgSmorg Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    I was enjoying it.. Looks great! but as soon I had to jump out of the plane my controllers stopped working in the game and I can't move them for any interactions! apart from this I should be a fun game! Making choices is cool.
    Project 2501
    It's worth the $20. It's not like you're James Bond. Feels more like you're Austin Powers. There's a lot of over the top silliness to it. Lots of cringe dialog and voice acting. Some of the voice actors do a good job.

You get to have mini boxing matches with thugs. I enjoyed that. It gives you an idea of what QTE can be like in VR. I definitely enjoyed beating people up. 

I only wish the tone was less and ridiculously over the top (shooting jets with a rifle) and more serious and gun focused. Also, I wish they mixed some "I Expect You to Die" into the game. It's a spy game. It's the perfect chance to lock someone in a death trap.  

It also tries to create a dialog mini game. You're a spy and you should choose the right dialog options. But it's not well developed. You end up randomly picking stuff. 

I'm enjoying it. I played for about 2 hours tonight. Will continue tomorrow. Don't go in with too high expectations and you'll enjoy it. 
  • rVRclosetrVRcloset Posts: 351
    Trinity
    MowTin said:
    It's worth the $20. It's not like you're James Bond. Feels more like you're Austin Powers. There's a lot of over the top silliness to it. Lots of cringe dialog and voice acting. Some of the voice actors do a good job.

You get to have mini boxing matches with thugs. I enjoyed that. It gives you an idea of what QTE can be like in VR. I definitely enjoyed beating people up. 

I only wish the tone was less and ridiculously over the top (shooting jets with a rifle) and more serious and gun focused. Also, I wish they mixed some "I Expect You to Die" into the game. It's a spy game. It's the perfect chance to lock someone in a death trap.  

It also tries to create a dialog mini game. You're a spy and you should choose the right dialog options. But it's not well developed. You end up randomly picking stuff. 

I'm enjoying it. I played for about 2 hours tonight. Will continue tomorrow. Don't go in with too high expectations and you'll enjoy it. 
    I agree!
    There are some cool moments, like just before you are jumping out of the plane.
    But also way over the top silly things like shooting down fighter jets!!!... . And several of them.. 
    And one problem I have with this game is that I never feel like I'm in any real danger (so far), not even when facing the Jet planes..
    When running on the roof tops and guards fired at me, I could stop and wave at them, also tried some backward moon dance moves and didn't take one shot.. . Feels kinda like you are in a movie, but even more like the actor in a movie, where everything is set up so you don't get hurt.
    And really don't like the extreme hand holding with the hud showing you where to stand, go and place your hands!
    Could have been so much better!!
    The Closet Sim Rig
    Aourus Pro Z390 - i7 8086K 32GB Ram - MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio 11GB - Windows 10  / GT Omega WS - NLR V3 - RS6 - Jetseat kw-908 / Fanatec CSW 2.5 / Fanatec ClubSport V3 pedals / Fanatec SQ Shifter 1.5 / Fanatec CS HB V.1.5 / HE SQ Shifter / SHH Shifter / TH8A Shifter / G27 Shifter - Button Box / DSD Button Box / BBJ Button Box / Wind simulator / Rift - S
    Can anyone who played this already confirm if there is more head nodding required aside from the bathroom at the start?

• SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,121
    Wintermute
    Can anyone who played this already confirm if there is more head nodding required aside from the bathroom at the start?

Only on 2nd mission, I'll play more tonight and let you know but I think it was just that one time.

How come you can't Nod your head using Quest? Is that because of Quest tracking or a bug in the software your using to Steam the game via wifi?
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
  • PsychosisProphetPsychosisProphet Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    So far ive seriously enjoyed this game. It has some flaws but for $19.99 id say its a pretty decent game. Right now im stuck on the third mission at the hotel and the dialog won't stay up for me to choose and i can not speak to the hotel receptionist at all. Some weird game bug i guess.
    Project 2501
    edited July 12
    Anyone, notice it's a bit blurry? I'm using supersampling 1.3 and it looks off. I'm guessing they're using some kind of anti-aliasing that is making things blurry sort of like Fallout 4 VR when it first came out.  

The graphics aren't the best overall. The colors are oversaturated. Things look cartoonish. 

I wish there were a few more graphics settings. 
    edited July 13
    MowTin said:
    Anyone, notice it's a bit blurry? I'm using supersampling 1.3 and it looks off. I'm guessing they're using some kind of anti-aliasing that is making things blurry sort of like Fallout 4 VR when it first came out.  

The graphics aren't the best overall. The colors are oversaturated. Things look cartoonish. 

I wish there were a few more graphics settings. 
    I noticed the same yesterday - only had 1 hour to play. I did force ss 2.0 in OTT and I didn't check if it was working - but asw did kick in on Ultra, although allowing autoadjusting the res helped slightly. But yes, it did seem blurry (lack of depth) - even got me to check my IPD setting, but it was fine. 
    I did try to lower ss to first 1.5 and then 1.0, but it didn't seem to register - normally OTT ss adjusts immediately. Need to check it more thoroughly, but you could be right that ss doesn't work (correctly), although it didn't look like ss 1.0 (maybe Ultra force some ss). Graphics aren't bad, but I was much more impressed with Wilson's Heart, graphics are really sharp in that game (ss 2.0 working correctly). Note that they copied the start from Wilson's Heart - again you stand in front of a mirror and have to place/replace items on your head (electrodes had to be removed in Wilson's Heart, now you get to insert lens and earpiece). BTW, felt like Unity, but I don't remember if there's a logo when I started the game... 

After playing Defector I did think that I couldn't take the CV1 much more - that I needed the clarity from the Index - but if you're right that ss isn't truly working, maybe CV1 is still great, lol. But it would then mean that I'm now totally dependent on ss 2.0 working correctly, sigh... 

Ok, tested some more - using Ultra I get 45 fps asw, and the performance HUD works fine using Oculus Tray Tool. But when I start the Pixel Density HUD I get a black screen - game sounds still continue, so the game is working and hasn't crashed. When I turn off pixel density HUD the game works perfectly again. This is the first time I've experienced that turning on Pixel Density HUD results in black screen. So I can't measure the pixel density, I get no value from OTT - quite weird. Judging from experience I'd say ss is like 1.3 using Ultra, explaining why the game is so blurry. It seems the devs have completely deactivated Oculus Tray Tool from being able to control ss. Quite strange. But let's say ss is 1.3 and I get 45 fps using Ultra on my oc'ed 1080 - that could mean that the game has profound performance problems and lacks greatly in optimizations (Transference works perfectly in ss 2.0 and looks much better or the same for textures and animations) - but not having to optimize the code could help speeding up the launch, and Defector is very late, originally the game should have launched autumn 2018. But I'm just guessing, there may be other explanations. I don't remember other games not working with OTT. 
    I haven't updated OTT to the latest version, but all of my other games, also new games, work flawlessly with my version of OTT.  

edited July 13
    I've just contacted the devs, interesting what they have to say...

http://twistedpixelgames.com/support/

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,111 Valuable Player
    Played through the first mission and enjoyed it. But I have to agree that the graphics are a bit of a let-down. Not sure how they managed to make it look a bit sub-par compared to what I experienced at PAX. Overall though, I'm still loving the experience!
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,530 Volunteer Moderator
    I only had time for the first mission last night, but it was quite fun. It’s pretty linear and feels like it would be impossible to die or fail, but the set-piece experiences are enjoyable, and I’ll go back to try the alternate branch of each mission.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
    Just tried the game and started all over again. This time I had the game set up perfectly from the start (Ultra, adaptive res, HMD-directed controls, smooth turning etc.) and I was much more impressed. Image quality still is blurry and lacks depth, but there're many details when you get close to persons and objects. Maybe graphics have a slightly cartoonish style, but I like it - seems like a great game, and achieving all the bonus goals could be a real challenge... So highly recommended for now - at least for $20. 

• jcalofjcalof Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    For some reason it wont mirror to my tv it just says rendering to hdm
    BTW, forgot to mention in my previous post that I changed to sitting position instead of standing - and for now it seems to work much better, at least because you do sit at some tables in the start of the game, and standing doesn't feel right. For now the game may work best when sitting - although it is sort of contraintuitive with these kind of games. Maybe Defector was primarily designed to be a sitting experience, who knows... 

• PsychosisProphetPsychosisProphet Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    edited July 14
    Does anyone know how to get past the point were you are suppose to talk to the hotel front desk person in the third mission? The dialogue keeps vanishing if i speak to a hotel guest and the option to talk to the clerk doesnt even show up. Am i missing something in the game that im suppose to be doing or is it a game bug?  I use the scan to look around but still no clues.
  • Thunderbox.EntThunderbox.Ent Posts: 54 Oculus Start Member
    edited July 14
    Is anyone having tracking issues with Defector? I seem to be about a foot taller than usual, which makes it hard to punch people, or pick stuff up. Also, every few minutes I get popped up a few feet, making the game unplayable. This issue doesn't happen in any of my other games... very odd.