Connecting to campus internet — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Connecting to campus internet

Timonz4ksuTimonz4ksu Posts: 3
NerveGear
Hey guys, I am currently a college student living on campus and I'm looking at buying a oculus quest soon but I am worried that I won't be able to get online since when I sign into the campus internet I have to use my student ID and password. Will this be an issue when setting up the oculus quest? Is there a work around? Any tips would be great!
Thanks. 

Answers

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,158 Volunteer Moderator
    Do you have a smartphone ? Android 6.0 or higher or iPhone os 10.0 or higher ?
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• Timonz4ksuTimonz4ksu Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Yes I have a galaxy s10
  • SteveG7RTASteveG7RTA Posts: 51
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited July 13
    Hi,  assuming your Galaxy S10 connects & works ok with the campus wifi.. then you should be able to turn on the phone’s WiFi hotspot & connect the Quest to that. It’s not ideal but it’s a workaround.
    Ive just tried connecting my Quest to my iPhone’s hotspot that way, then launched the YouTube app on the Quest. There was a bit of buffering but it worked.

You should at least be able to set the Quest up
  • Timonz4ksuTimonz4ksu Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Okay, thanks for the tip! One more thing, d
    Do you think it'd be a strong enough connection for vr chat rooms and other online games? 
  • SpuzzumSpuzzum Posts: 307
    Trinity
    As long as it's just for the setup, and you don't leave it on the phone's hotspot. Some cellular providers charge your data plan for the hotspot. At least in Canada they do.