cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

quest headset with this strap from the HP Windows Mixed Reality Headset

dc2889
Expert Protege
I'm modifying my quest headset with this strap from the HP Windows Mixed Reality Headset VR1000-100. Its similar to the psvr halo design so its perfect for the quest. this headset cost me 20 usd on eBay which is much better than the vive deluxe audio head strap price tag of 99.99 usd. xaqgeimzqkbp.jpg 
This task is simple to do with a 3D printed attachment that slips into the quest's top head strap slot. The thing that really grinds my gears is that there are no proper quest disassembly guilds anywhere.so as a engineer and tinkerer I've decided to take a proper look at how the this beauty is put together. full disassembly to come.for this post we will focus on the audio straps. To remove the strap this can be done by lifting the Velcro and peeling up the small metal oval tape that is in the rail Channel.
under this you will find two screws that attach the strap to the side of the headset.Once this is done you will have a bare headset and the fabric can easily be remove from this point no cutting needed. pics to come plus full tutorialdq6mzkyrpfg4.jpg2k45cz7btsva.jpg0pv1131qmocs.jpgmocked it up printing 3D components now. Audio solution completed here it is the original rift cv1 headphones adapted to the halo strap86ssfj14gng0.jpg
5 REPLIES 5

NStage_fr
Honored Guest
That's amazing, how did you attach the two parts ? Can you do a quick tutorial with the printed part ?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Maybe Oculus should higher you because I won't be purchasing an Oculus Quest due to the fact it's front heavy and uncomfortable. I'm not purchasing a HTC headband at $99 just to make ir comfortable either. Oculus should have done what you have done in the first place imo.

Anonymous
Not applicable
The thing with purchasing the DAS though, is it comes with speakers as well as the headstrap. That was the main reason I bought it for my Go, as I need to use headphones, but hate actually wearing headphones. That, and I use my volume balance adapter to balance it out for my weaker right ear. The fact that it made the headset more comfortable was a bonus. And the best part...after buying my Quest, I just swapped the DAS from the Go to the Quest. And I'll probably swap it out to whatever comes out later as well, if a mod makes that headset better. For the price of the halo strap, plus the cost of the add-on speakers, and you're paying pretty much the same price as the DAS. The earphones alone would run you at least $50, if not more for a decent pair. The original Rift CV1 replacements were $60 or something.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@Spuzzum - Good points, but I really wish Oculus would think about comfort when designing tthese VR headsets. Even if it means increasing their prices. I just don't see the point in having to fart around buying other stuff just to make a VR headset comfortable.
I did like the Halo design of the Rift S and found that to be very comfortable. The Halo probably saves you losing some of you hair too because it's using your forehead and not rubbing on your hair. 😄

Anonymous
Not applicable
I definitely agree that they didn't think ahead. But I bought it knowing ahead of time that I'd be mod'ding it, from all the reviews mentioning the front heaviness. The thing I don't like about the Halo, is the headset can move around when you move your head quickly, and it can result in light leaks from not being tight against the face. That, and not all Halo designs fit the same apparently. Some are comfortable, and some aren't.