cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S Faulty Cable?

Busoni34
Honored Guest
I think I have a faulty cable in my Rift S. I can place my Rift S on my desk, take the headset cable in my hand, move it up and down one inch in such a way that neither the headset side nor PC side of the cable should be disturbed, and my computer will play the "USB disconnecting" and "USB reconnecting" sounds in loop, accompanied by the Oculus app reporting that my Rift S is not connected. As soon as I stop moving the cable, the noises stop (and the headset may or may not be connected).  I do have my cable in the clip on the headset intended to isolate cable movement from the headset port. Anybody else had this kind of cable trouble? Can the Rift S cable be replaced without replacing the entire unit?
8 REPLIES 8

sraura
Heroic Explorer
...or more likely the connector is loose from hmd's end. Many threads here about how to check and fix that.

Busoni34
Honored Guest

sraura said:

...or more likely the connector is loose from hmd's end. Many threads here about how to check and fix that.

Most of the ones I've seen relate to the original Rift, not the Rift S. I've tried removing the foam bit to reveal the connector interface with the HMD, but the cable doesn't seem removable on the Rift S the way it is on the original.

Busoni34
Honored Guest
Rather, the foam bit is removable, but the cable is not.

sford52
Heroic Explorer
I dont have a Rift-S but I'm under the impression the cable on the HMD can come loose and may require reseating.
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-fix-oculus-rift-s-black-screen-problems#reseat
ASUS ROG Strix GL702VS-AH73 17.3" Laptop.  I7-7700HQ, GTX1070, 12 GB DDR4 RAM, 500 EVO 970 GB SSD, VS 2017, Oculus rift, Windows 10 home

Busoni34
Honored Guest

sford52 said:

I dont have a Rift-S but I'm under the impression the cable on the HMD can come loose and may require reseating.
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-fix-oculus-rift-s-black-screen-problems#reseat

Thanks for the article link....but my cable doesn't seem to want to come out. I'm worried if I use more force I'll damage something and it ain't movin. There is a lock switch between the eyes but that doesn't seem to have any effect.

Busoni34
Honored Guest
Got some pliers and finally got the cable to unplug. Reseated it and we'll see if that fixes the issue.

Tresillian
Honored Guest
Busoni34 said:

Got some pliers and finally got the cable to unplug. Reseated it and we'll see if that fixes the issue.

Im guessing it worked?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Did it work? Mine is having similar issue.