Can i use my computers speakers for sound whilst using the Rift s? — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Can i use my computers speakers for sound whilst using the Rift s?

Leigh291Leigh291 Posts: 1
NerveGear
Hi everyone,
I was just wondering if I was able to use the Rift s with my computers external speakers?

Thanks for you time and help.
Tagged:

Comments

• LujhoLujho Posts: 61
    Hiro Protagonist
    Yes, but it wouldn't be great, nothing would sound right. 
  • RosgilliesRosgillies Posts: 146
    Art3mis
    I beg to differ Lujho, I run a 5.1 logitech and a creative z card surround system fitted to my motion rig. With the rift on and some good volume the immersion factor is awesome. Neighbors, what neighbors?
  • Error-401Error-401 Posts: 27
    Brain Burst
    Turn on audio mirroring https://support.oculus.com/155708918506052/ works well.

PC: Intel Core i9-9900K | Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 16GB | MSI RTX 2080 Ventus | Samsung 970 Pro NVMe | SilverStone SX700-LPT | GIGABYTE Z390 I AORUS PRO WiFi | SilverStone RVZ03B-ARGB

• MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,578
    Project 2501
    edited July 15
    How does that work? With surround speakers the rear speakers are minor speakers not intended for voice or important aspects of sound. If you turn around there are just 2 rear speakers versus when you're facing forward you have 3 speakers.  Maybe a 4.1 setup would make sense. 

But the entire sound design assumes you're in the center and facing forward. 
    i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
  • LujhoLujho Posts: 61
    Hiro Protagonist
    I beg to differ Lujho, I run a 5.1 logitech and a creative z card surround system fitted to my motion rig. With the rift on and some good volume the immersion factor is awesome. Neighbors, what neighbors?
    That's literally the one use case where it would make sense, since the speakers will always be in the correct orientation with respect to your position... more or less.

But for regular room-scale games, nothing would sound like it was coming from the right direction. 
  • Error-401Error-401 Posts: 27
    Brain Burst
    edited July 17
    Lujho said:
    That's literally the one use case where it would make sense, since the speakers will always be in the correct orientation with respect to your position... more or less.

But for regular room-scale games, nothing would sound like it was coming from the right direction. 
    Not sure it matters that much if you have it set to a volume that fills in the lack of depth, as in not loud. Also, it doesn't matter massively where the bass is located in this scenario, it would be pretty much non-directional.
    PC: Intel Core i9-9900K | Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 16GB | MSI RTX 2080 Ventus | Samsung 970 Pro NVMe | SilverStone SX700-LPT | GIGABYTE Z390 I AORUS PRO WiFi | SilverStone RVZ03B-ARGB

• rednekcowboy77rednekcowboy77 Posts: 18
    NerveGear
    Error-401 said:
    Lujho said:

Not sure it matters that much if you have it set to a volume that fills in the lack of depth, as in not loud. Also, it doesn't matter massively where the bass is located in this scenario, it would be pretty much non-directional.
    So let me get this right.  You're playing a room scale game but according to you, it doesn't matter if the directionaility of the sound is correct?  So if I am playing Paranormal Activity where I should be hearing footsteps coming up behind me but instead they are all around, that doesn't affect the immersion aspect?  Is that what you are saying?

If so, I totally have to disagree, sorry.
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,170
    Wintermute
    Error-401 said:
    Lujho said:

So let me get this right.  You're playing a room scale game but according to you, it doesn't matter if the directionaility of the sound is correct?  So if I am playing Paranormal Activity where I should be hearing footsteps coming up behind me but instead they are all around, that doesn't affect the immersion aspect?  Is that what you are saying?

So, with headphones you can hear footsteps behind you?  Kinda doubt that.  Probably better hearing if they are coming from the right or left though.

Alienware 17r4 laptop, 7700hq 2.8/3.6 ghz, 32gb ram, 250gb ssd, 1tb hd, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, Oculus Rift VR, Now with Alienware Graphics Amplifier w/gtx1080ti and Asus VG248QE external monitor. 

Now moved onto a custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled), gtx 1080 ti (from my AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card.

• TragicDelightTragicDelight Posts: 29
    Brain Burst
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Error-401 said:
    Lujho said:

So, with headphones you can hear footsteps behind you?  Kinda doubt that.  Probably better hearing if they are coming from the right or left though.

With my Rift S I use Arctis 7 Steel Series headphones with built in mic, Guess what they have and WINDOWS has?? DIGITAL 3D SURROUND SOUND. Can hear ALL directions individually.
  • andysonofbobandysonofbob Posts: 218
    Nexus 6
    edited August 24
    I have had to use my 5.1 ever since my CV1 suffered from right headphone loss.

It works file for SOME games. Robo-recall is fab for instance, skyrim too.  Obviously the simulators and Elite Dangerous are so much better with surround speakers as opposed to surround headphones. 

However many games haven't been coded for surround e.g. lone echo, Arizona Sunrise which is proper disappointing 

tbh if the CV1's headphones still worked I think I would be using them still for the convenience. But I don't I share the unit with my gf so the albeit minor ball-ache of using 3d party headphones tips the balance to my 5.1

YMMV