cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Encountered weird Black Screen Issue. Can any one help?

tcgamer525
Honored Guest
I got my rift s about a few months ago and never had a problem with it, in tell a few days ago. 

When i plug in my rift s, everything operates normally for about 20 seconds. then it goes to a black screen for about 2 seconds. then it operates normally again for 30 seconds. then it goes into a permanent black screen, in tell i unplug it, and plug it back in. but when i do that it repeats the problem. 

is there any suggestions on what i should try to do?

Thanks for any feedback 

9 REPLIES 9

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager
Hey @tcgamer525, I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with your Rift S. If you haven't already, please try reseating the headset cable on the headset side. You'll need to remove the facial interface to access it. Also, check to make sure that none of your USB power management settings are enabled in the Device Manager. You may to try opting into the latest Public Test Channel build of the Oculus software. Please contact support at https://support.oculus.com if you need more help. Thanks! -Rick
If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

ragenrok
Protege
What system are you playing on? Specs and is it a laptop?

I just got my rift s a few hours ago and it did the exact same thing you are describing on my msi laptop. I found it worked great on my desktop though.

I just fixed it 30 minutes ago, the key for me was the Nvidia drivers. Using the newest drivers from Nvidia gave me these issues, but then I downloaded the msi recommended one for my laptop (417.17) and it fixed the issues for me! Just played about 20 minutes of beat saber and the lab with no issues.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Mine was working fine as well up until a few days ago (desktop)  Now I am getting a hardware error and black screen.  It never comes on anymore.  I tried it on an older computer and it comes on, but not my main gaming computer that it has worked on since day 1.  I rolled back a Nvidia driver, but that didn't fix it.  It started not working after the latest windows update a few days ago...  I haven't been able to get the headset to start since....

ragenrok
Protege

Vortimous said:

Mine was working fine as well up until a few days ago (desktop)  Now I am getting a hardware error and black screen.  It never comes on anymore.  I tried it on an older computer and it comes on, but not my main gaming computer that it has worked on since day 1.  I rolled back a Nvidia driver, but that didn't fix it.  It started not working after the latest windows update a few days ago...  I haven't been able to get the headset to start since....

Someone else had that issue on Reddit, they had to uninstall the windows update to fix the issue.

tcgamer525
Honored Guest
Thanks guy for all the help and am sorry for the late reply 

I fixed the issue by rolling back the Nvidia Driver. 
but now with the new No Man Sky update I need the latest driver to replay it. so i updated my driver again and to my surprise the issue came back.

My Laptop specs are a Intell 8 GEN CORE i7-8750H
Nividia GEFORCE GTX 1060
6GB GDDR5
16GB DDR4 - 2666MHz
256GB SSD + 1 TB HHD

My Laptop is also made by MSI and its a "VR Ready" laptop
i heard that the issue comes from the MSI computer itself, but am not to sure 
thanks for the help before guys

tcgamer525
Honored Guest
Also I forgot to mention, i tried all the Oculus Support steps as well. did not fix my issue but thanks.

Kapt-Krunch
Protege
Are your gpu drivers up to date?
I7-9700k - 32 GB Corsair Pro - RTX 2080 Super XC Ultra - Samsung Evo SSD - Oculus Rift S

I like pinacoladas and getting caught in the rain!

tcgamer525
Honored Guest

Are your gpu drivers up to date?

Yes they are. The issue is when i update my Nividia drivers to the newest version my oculus headset shows a black screen. but when i go back to my old driver, everything works fine. but i want to have a newest driver so i can play the new no man sky update.

tcgamer525
Honored Guest
i also tried a different version of the nividia driver as well. i still get a black screan