New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Anybody Seen Any AR Uses For The Rift S?

Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,821 Valuable Player
I'm just wondering if there are any attempts at using Passthrough on the S for AR experiments / mods etc?

Surprised if people aren't trying things...

Anybody seen anything on the t'interweb?

Comments

• SlayeminSlayemin Posts: 43 Oculus Start Member
    It's my personal opinion that AR and VR eventually should to merge into the same HMD, where pass through is the AR mode of the HMD. The major advantage of this is that we could get away from the current way AR does additive color. In AR, transparent is "black" and you don't actually get black, so if you ever have textures with a lot of darker colors, they would present very poorly in AR. In current generations of AR apps, you will only see brightly lit colors to get around this problem with additive light. I think the pass through AR would be the real fix. There's going to be some form factor problems for such a future device I think?
    From what I can see, the pass through image in the rift S is monochrome and a bit grainy, so it wouldn't be a very good AR solution. We'd really need an RGB camera which can handle multiple light conditions without grainy image quality in order to be viable as a reasonable candidate for pass through AR.
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,679 Volunteer Moderator
    Surprised if people aren't trying things...
    The Oculus sdk doesn't expose the passthrough video (probably for privacy reasons), same as you can't get access to the CV1 sensor video. So anybody trying to do it would need to intercept usb data and decode it. Most probably can't be bothered.

While its expensive, a Zed Mini would give much better results. I've got one, its pretty cool (I use it mostly for depth scanning though, I haven't done much with its AR)

• Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,821 Valuable Player
    Thanks for the input guys, very useful!