New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Vr headset savior may put index to shame

Comments

• kojackkojack Posts: 6,141 Volunteer Moderator
    edited July 2019
    From that article:
    There are some other interesting feature allusions in the patent. The document lays out plans to build a VR headset that uses acceleration and gyro sensors to detect how users tilt their heads to better guess what they’re looking at on-screen. This small addition could go a long way toward reducing the disorientation that makes many VR novices nauseous, and greatly improve the console’s ability to output high resolution VR graphics at smooth frame rates.

Not really.

The patent is about a method for viewing stereo panoramas while the user's head is tilted. The problem is that stereo panoramas are created with both cameras level. Tilt your head and the images no longer have the correct separation and go out of alignment (not something that happens with games/apps, just photographic panoramas). Sony apparently have a method of generating correct images for tilted heads (probably calculate depth from the stereo images then reproject).

As I said, this is all about panorama viewing. It will do nothing for reducing disorientation in games and definitely won't "greatly improve the console’s ability to output high resolution VR graphics at smooth frame rates".

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,073 Valuable Player
    I’ll believe it when I experience it for myself. 
  • hoppingbunny123hoppingbunny123 Posts: 744
    Trinity
    edited July 2019
    here is a rough pseudo code for building a head tilting mechanism for identifying where your looking.

- left hand = (forward, moving right)
    - right hand = (forward, moving left)
    - default hand = left hand
    - default hand mouse pointer = x, y, z coordinate the mouse cursor is on the persons view of the 3d area.

- if down
    -{ default hand curls into body}
    - else if view up
    - {default hand moves away from body}
    - else if view right, move right
    - {default hand pulls back as movement starts, and foot becomes mouse cursor for default hand}
    - else if view left, move left = { (view right, move right) the left direction}
    - // identifying what the person is looking at consists of
    - equaling the thing looked at as a mouse cursor, which is the mouse cursor does something when touched.
    so depending on the persons viewpoint there is n number of mouse cursors and then the eyes are looking at the mouse cursor in that direction, how far in that direction follows the hands movement, a lot of hand movement the further away is looked at in that direction pointing at one of a few cursor objects.
    - the focus may change but the hand stays the same. when your looking at something your head may move your eyes perspective of that thing but your hand stays in place. so if your attention is drawn somewhere else you might look there then if its not what you were looking at the hand will move too, else if what you were looking at you wont move your hand as its put in focus.
    - else if your head stays in place and your hand moves then stays in place
    {your focusing on what you were previously looking at}.
    else if your hands move and your head moves
    {your not focusing on anything.}

edit

after watching this video, i wonder if there is a subliminal effect from moving both hands which creates in the mind the effect that what your hearing is the truth.

while only moving one hand and or arm negates the impression that what your listening to is in fact the truth.

for instance people touch their face with one hand when thinking if theyre actually hearing the truth or its bad news = 1 hand, but fold both their hands when theyre satisfied with what theyre hearing = 2 hands. something to think about for subliminal effects in marketing or studying the effect the person has to your marketing.

for instance ask people what they think of the rift s having no ipd dial, the hand might go to the face which shows thats bad, but ask if they want a ipd dial in the rift 2 with better lenses and image quality and the hands go to the waist which shows a oh boy logic.

both hands together and not moving the hands and keeping the face looking at something shows confidence .

so what you want is to either get both hands moving or kept still. keeping the eyes on something.

moving only the right hand during a presentation shows disrespect, subliminally. and changing what your looking at also affects your single hand correspondingly, which could be the right hand.
    this shows a form of disrespect or not totally trusting.

with vr there is no controller like the ps4 and no tv to focus the eyes on, and there is a lot of one handed swinging and changing of the thing being looked at.

so its hard to build trust in vr games using 2 hands and one thing being looked at.

this current switching of whats being looked at shifting the focus of the eyes and single hand moving compared to traditional 2d gaming which uses only a controller both hands hold and stationary tv puts vr in a negative emotional state subliminally.

• OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 689
    Neo
    Sony need to first replace the 10 year old motion plus controller that they used as a band aid for the PSVR, they were garbage motion controllers when first released and are still the same in Vr today with the PSVR, i don't even charge them anymore, just use the PSVR as a sit sim for Dirt rally, Wipeout and Driveclub vR, a game Sony should have been put up against a wall and shot for closing Evolution studio, Driveclub VR is not only great, but if they had allowed them to patch it for the Pro, the game would have been the go to vr driving game to sell the PSVR and the Pro.

Ok, rant over.
  • kojackkojack Posts: 6,141 Volunteer Moderator
    The info is pretty vague. It's leaks for something expected late 2020.

Is the 2560x1440 value per eye or whole panel (Rift-S res)? Wireless is going to struggle to do 120Hz if that is the per eye resolution.
    Is it lcd or oled?
    Is the 220 degree fov horizontal or diagonal? How much stereo separation?

Apparently the new dual shock 5 controller has "some sort of camera inside for VR". Umm, why? Are they going for inside out tracking on controllers?

• inovatorinovator Posts: 2,235 Valuable Player
    I really believe Sony is going to do amazing things with their next headset and get it right the 1st time. It will be interesting.
  • Stevenugent83Stevenugent83 Posts: 63
    Hiro Protagonist
    Knowing Sony they will still use the 10 year old move controllers and single camera.
    The PSVR is great, but they ruined it by cheaping out on the tracking and controllers, the two most important things imo.
  • Stevenugent83Stevenugent83 Posts: 63
    Hiro Protagonist
    OmegaM4N said:
    Sony need to first replace the 10 year old motion plus controller that they used as a band aid for the PSVR, they were garbage motion controllers when first released and are still the same in Vr today with the PSVR, i don't even charge them anymore, just use the PSVR as a sit sim for Dirt rally, Wipeout and Driveclub vR, a game Sony should have been put up against a wall and shot for closing Evolution studio, Driveclub VR is not only great, but if they had allowed them to patch it for the Pro, the game would have been the go to vr driving game to sell the PSVR and the Pro.

Ok, rant over.
    It really does defeat the point when the controllers aren't up to the job at all.
    If the PSVR had controllers like touch then it would have been amazing.
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 2,235 Valuable Player
    Knowing Sony they will still use the 10 year old move controllers and single camera.
    The PSVR is great, but they ruined it by cheaping out on the tracking and controllers, the two most important things imo.
    I'm not disagreeing about the controllers but here was the Sony strategy: 10 year old controllers = cheap tech that = good enough.between good enough controllers (not good controllers) the dual shock and aim controller that works great and good enough visuals and a headset meant to be for a sit down experience and ease of set up and a cheap price, ended up selling 4.5 million headsets and is still selling strong. I can promise you the controllers will be as newly developed as their next headset. I own the rift so and the quest. But I still enjoy the Sony for their great exclusives.Their present controllers suck but when I have to use them for me they are good enough for me to still enjoy the game. It did take time for me to get used to them.