Rift S Stopped working after a month (DisplayPort Not Detected) — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift S Stopped working after a month (DisplayPort Not Detected)

FlamingcloudFlamingcloud Posts: 2
NerveGear
So my Rift S worked just fine for a month and suddenly I get either DisplayPort not detected or Recommend Update USB Driver messages..

I still have orange or white lights but I never get any picture from the headset

I've tried.. 
Unplugging usb/display port
Different display port/usb
Updating USB Drivers
Uninstalling USB Drivers
Connecting less usb devices
Setting the power management to not turn off every usb device
Unplugging the cord that goes to the headset
Rolling back video card
Repairing Oculus software
Opting in and out of Oculus beta
Restarting from the beta window
Restarting the Oculus Service

and a a lot of resetting the computer after the majority of those

Also it works just fine on my laptop so I know it isn't a headset hardware issue.

Comments

• OculusSupportOculusSupport Posts: 334 Oculus Staff
    Hi @Flamingcloud, that's definitely unusual. Are you connecting the USB connection first, waiting 10 seconds, and then connecting the DisplayPort? It's important to allow the USB connection to fully establish before connecting the DisplayPort. I also suggest disconnecting any other USB devices except your Rift hardware and mouse/keyboard. Please contact support at https://support.oculus.com so we can help you with this. If you're able to provide Oculus diagnostic logs from both systems, it would be helpful in determining the cause. Instructions on collecting logs are available here https://support.oculus.com/172672339980954/. Thanks! -Rick
  • svedegosvedego Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    SAME!!
  • Nathanael_Nathanael_ Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    edited July 18
    Same - Except I just got mine last week, and I have never got it to work. Heres a copy of my post:

I've put in about 8 hours trying to get my oculus rift s to work, and i have tried everything listed below.

During setup, I put in USB and get green check mark, then when I plug in Display port, I get a green check-mark for about 2-4 seconds, then it goes back to spinning circle. The light on the oculus turns white, and it receives audio fine. Also worth pointing out I did the oculus system test and everything was green lit.

I found some people are having similar problems, but issue has still not been resolved. 

My setup:
    Intel i7-8700 @ 3.20GHz
    GTX 1080ti
    16 MB Ram
    Gigabyte wifi gaming 3

Things I have tried:

- *Yes I am in contact with oculus support, sent ticket, logs and am going back and forth trying different things*

- Updated windows, BIOs, drivers

- Tried different display ports and USB ports (I even bought a new pci USB 3.0 in case it was the USBs on my MB)

- Uninstalling Oculus and my all my Nvidia drivers using DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) then re-installing both

- Resetting Oculus app

- Repairing Oculus app

- Trying latest beta version of app

- Updated USB ports, etc in Device Manager

- Checked the status of the USB connections in Device Manger

- Uninstalling the RIFT connection in Device Manger (then re-installing)

- Plugged USB in first, then waited 30 seconds to plug in Display Port

- Made sure my only dedicated display output was set to my GPU in bios

- Turned off my motherboard display output

- Unplugged and re-seated the cable attached to the actual headset

- Made sure my “Allow apps to access your camera” setting to “On.”
    NerveGear
    Worth mentioning oculus support has been useless so far, they repeat the same advice over and over (wait 10 seconds, usb first, send logs, repair and re install, etc etc) until I eventually just said I want to return it (in which I am in the process)
  • sraurasraura Posts: 589
    Trinity
    edited July 19
    So my Rift S worked just fine for a month and suddenly I get either DisplayPort not detected or Recommend Update USB Driver messages..

I still have orange or white lights but I never get any picture from the headset

I've tried.. 
    Updating USB Drivers
    Uninstalling USB Drivers
    Rolling back video card

Also it works just fine on my laptop so I know it isn't a headset hardware issue.
    Have you tried creating new local windows admin account and installing/repairing oculus software there yet? That new user account should be named something simple what contains only standard english letters (no spaces, accents).

I know it sounds weird, but seems to solve quite many strange problems... Specially after recent windows update... If doesn't help, you can always delete the account...
  • svedegosvedego Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    edited July 19
    sraura said:

I've tried.. 
    Updating USB Drivers
    Uninstalling USB Drivers
    Rolling back video card

Have you tried creating new local windows admin account and installing/repairing oculus software there yet? That new user account should be named something simple what contains only standard english letters (no spaces, accents).

I know it sounds weird, but seems to solve quite many strange problems... Specially after recent windows update... If doesn't help, you can always delete the account...
    I'm really having difficulties switching accounts or adding one without an email... weird... I can't even add one over cmd
    Trinity
    edited July 19
    Instructions for local accounts can be found from here.
  • EthrelaedEthrelaed Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    edited July 20
    And what can we do if that does not works? The Rift S ran fine with my USB 3.1 till some Windowsupdate and the USB-update-driver issue wich led me to the decision to update the asmedia driver through windows update...
    The normal usb 3.0 was and is making my tracking bad.
    Trinity
    edited July 20
    Well to be honest only thing I can suggest is contacting oculus support and seeing what the final verdict is.

Personally I've been trying to add all most common solutions to this thread, but in the end - if we rule out white flashes and some tracking issues - most problems people are having are really borderline issues. If some issue would be common, forum would have 2-3 pages filled with that subject in one single day.

In the end - it is really difficult to troubleshoot computers if you don't have actual access to them. All USB related issues are the most difficult to track down as the cause behind them can be really random and diverse and varies from computer to computer.

But I do hope you get your issue sorted out.
  • FlamingcloudFlamingcloud Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    It is working for me now on both computers.. I have no idea why.. I have created a new account in windows, opened it there, worked, went back to my original account and it still worked..

However I did so many things over the course of trying to fix it that I can't really be sure if that is what fixed it..

I am still getting usb driver update recommended but I think I am just going to ignore it since it is working...
    NerveGear
    So i just got a new cable from oculus, and it didnt solve my problem. 
  • JohnM52JohnM52 Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    So i just got a new cable from oculus, and it didnt solve my problem. 
  • AlJ57AlJ57 Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    What happened after? Did you get it turned on?

• serge.rouge.77serge.rouge.77 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Bought yesterday

Viewer sensor check FAIL

I have tried all these solutions.

• Delete and reinstall Oculus app and files
    • allow app to access camera in privacy settings
    • I have installed  oculus_runtime_sdk_0.8.0.0_win.exe
    • I have installe NVIDIA_DisplayPort_Firmware_Updater_1.0-x64.exe
    • Try 4 different USB 3.0 port (they works) without any other device plug in. (keyboard, mouse, usb hub ecc ecc)
    • Try another 2 USB 3.0 port on a dedicated card 
    • Connect USB wait 10 or 30 second and connect the displayport
    • Updating USB Drivers
    • Setting the power management to not turn off every usb device and Oculus
    • Try 2 different displayport (geforce msi 1080 ti)
    • These displayport works with other monitor
    • Reseat the Rift S cable
    • Restart the Oculus Runtime Service
    • Update Windows 10 and your GPU drivers
    • Rolling back video card 
    • Repairing Oculus software 
    • Opting in and out of Oculus beta 
    • Restarting from the beta window 
    • Restarting the Oculus Service
    Just open a support ticket but I'm afraid there is little hope.
    I am very disappointed.

my pc spec:
    intel i-7 2600k 
    msi geforce gtx 1080 ti
    32 ram