cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is the cheapest pc i can get for the oculus rift?

daboss3105
Honored Guest
ive just brought the oculus rift and recently ive realised that none of my computers work for vr so i need the cheapest pc possible that can at least make the vr work (ive got a budget with a maximum of £400)an ideas?

ive also got the skill to create a computer
4 REPLIES 4

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Hmm tricky one, do you have anything worthwhile to cannabalise from your existing PCs?
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

daboss3105
Honored Guest
nothing but some 16gb ddr4 memory and a 1TB SSD maybe a 550watt psu

Techy111
MVP
MVP
That's a good start. Look at trying to get a 1060 or 70. A mobo that can take ddr4 and a good i5 or equivalent mate. You may get a good deal on a mobo and cpu from ebay ??
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

sraura
Heroic Explorer
Cheapest option is probably the budget computer from nearest consumer electronics store. They tend to come with bottlenecks, cheap components, questionable cooling solutions and preinstalled malware - but they are - cheap. Cheap at least to the point when customer wants to do upgrade and notices that standard GPU card won't fit to casing or that power supply had wiring for only 2 hard drives. Then couple weeks after warranty runs out, CPU fan bearings start seizing and gentle trail of smoke directs the customer back towards cheapest deal of the week.

Jokes aside... for rift cv1
gtx1050Ti with HDMI 1.3 video output (gtx1060 preferred), i5 (i7 preferred if possible), plenty of usb3 ports, 650W PSU (550W may be enough if it is high quality PSU), 16gb, win10, SSD+HD should do the trick.

Official minimum and recommended specs can be found from here