Casting needs support to TV — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Casting needs support to TV

TheGraveTheGrave Posts: 1
NerveGear
Hi all. 
Just want to say that casting should be fixed asap. I like using my quest, everything is excellent except for enjoying it with others. Since the casting can't cast to television with build-in casting features, and the casting to the phone is unstable and lacky, I find it difficult to enjoy when together with others. 

I can't believe I'm the only one who feels like this. 

Anyways, great work with the Quest, I absolutely love it 👍

Comments

• OrangeMUCOrangeMUC Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Agree 100% 
  • b-twiceb-twice Posts: 49
    Brain Burst
    Agree
  • JSAVRJSAVR Posts: 26
    Brain Burst
    Yep agree, should be compatible with smart tvs 
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,685 Volunteer Moderator
    A cheap Chromecast device plugged into your TV apparently does the trick. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • SpuzzumSpuzzum Posts: 477
    Trinity
    If you have a tablet, install the Oculus app, then cast to the tablet. Then if you have an OTG adapter with an HDMI output connection...connect the tablet to the TV. Hopefully it has more than 1 HDMI input port. Some tablets have an HDMI output port, and can use a straight HDMI to HDMI cable, but others need an MHL to HDMI adapter. You could also do this with a phone instead of a tablet.
    Trinity
    edited July 25
    This shows how to use a usb-c to hdmi cable, as well as a Chromecast, as well as something called Smart View, already in some Androids. My phone doesn't have that. :P But as for the direct cable connection, it was the most responsive of all 3 methods, and probably the easiest...as long as you get the correct cable for your device. Some cables also have a power adapter, so you can charge the device as you use it to display on the tv.

edit: I guess the responsiveness of the direct cable connection doesn't really matter, as you still need to cast the Quest to the phone/tablet that's connected to the tv. :P

• JSAVRJSAVR Posts: 26
    Brain Burst
    nalex66 said:

Yep it will but these days the ability to receive casts is all built in to smart tvs so really it should work with that rather than chrome cast - I think chromecast is starting to die out a bit due to smart tvs
    Trinity
    JSAVR said:
    nalex66 said:

Yep it will but these days the ability to receive casts is all built in to smart tvs so really it should work with that rather than chrome cast - I think chromecast is starting to die out a bit due to smart tvs

Not everybody can afford a new tv these days. I use my pc as a media center, running Kodi, with my pc monitor. I wish I had a wall sized monitor though. :P
  • maramasekmaramasek Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    the main problem here is that casting freeze for lots of us, 2-5 second and it crashes on phone :(  I tried different phones
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,030 Volunteer Moderator

An Android TV version of the Oculus app would also solve the problem, well for us Android TV users at least... cut out the need for a phone/tablet intermediary completely.  I realise that's probably not top of Oculus' to-do list.

I'll investigate side-loading I think.

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.239)
    Trinity
    edited July 26

An Android TV version of the Oculus app would also solve the problem, well for us Android TV users at least... cut out the need for a phone/tablet intermediary completely.  I realise that's probably not top of Oculus' to-do list.

I'd bet it would install and work...Android TV uses ARM, doesn't it? I've been playing with some Android operating systems for the Raspberry Pi, including compiling from source. I was able to get the app installed again, and this time it didn't crash. It also just had a black screen, saying there was an error trying to cast. I then tried on the phone just to make sure...the same error. So until it cats to the phone again, I can't test casting to the Pi. Until then though, I've just compiled the latest android-x86 source, and I'm just about to install to a drive in my pc. I'm not sure if the Oulus app will run on x86, even with a setting for running Android apps natively in x86. But...that's testing.

Hell...I'd even go as far as trying to install the Oculus app on a smart tv itself. Either it works or it doesn't...you could always just uninstall if it doesn't.

edit: The TV would need bluetooth and be able to pair with the headset first though...even if that's done manually, and not through the app.
    Trinity
    maramasek said:
    the main problem here is that casting freeze for lots of us, 2-5 second and it crashes on phone :(  I tried different phones
    The biggest issue with the casting, is it works best on a 5GHz connection, not a 2.4GHz. My phone only does 2.4GHz, so when I tested it before, it casted fine...but it was choppy. As for crashing though...that sounds like a bug.
  • VRBabe14VRBabe14 Posts: 177
    Art3mis
    I use my nvidia shield tv box but still its so laggy and its because its going through my mobile oculus companion app. I hope that they work on this and allow streaming from the quest device straight to whatever you wanna stream to. I think the lag is caused by the bridge that the smartphone has to be used as.
    Oculus Quest Status:
    RECEIVED Tues, May 21 2019 12:01 PM GMT
    UPDATE: FAULTY, ISSUED REPLACEMENT Fri, July 26 2019

Oculus Rift & Touch Bundle Status:
    RECEIVED Thurs, Sept 07 2017 2:38 PM GMT

Oculus Rift DK2
    Trinity
    That's why  was hoping to get this going on the Pi, as it creates it's own hotspot, so the Quest casts directly to the Pi, not needing a modem in between.
    Spuzzum said:

I'd bet it would install and work...Android TV uses ARM, doesn't it? I've been playing with some Android operating systems for the Raspberry Pi, including compiling from source. I was able to get the app installed again, and this time it didn't crash. It also just had a black screen, saying there was an error trying to cast. I then tried on the phone just to make sure...the same error. So until it cats to the phone again, I can't test casting to the Pi. Until then though, I've just compiled the latest android-x86 source, and I'm just about to install to a drive in my pc. I'm not sure if the Oulus app will run on x86, even with a setting for running Android apps natively in x86. But...that's testing.

Hell...I'd even go as far as trying to install the Oculus app on a smart tv itself. Either it works or it doesn't...you could always just uninstall if it doesn't.

edit: The TV would need bluetooth and be able to pair with the headset first though...even if that's done manually, and not through the app.
    I've got family coming over for the weekend so will give this a try on Monday and let you know.
    Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.239)
    Trinity
    Cheers.
  • WolfoxWolfox Posts: 59
    Hiro Protagonist
    Hi, this is my solution:
    I'm in a Hotel and the TV is connected to the Hotel network. It's a Samsung and it can Cast, but it only streams from the device and is really bad
    I bought a Chromecast, but it can't connect to the Hotel network because it requires an authentication impossible to do with the Chromecast.
    So I think i'm lucky that my laptop can bridge the Hotel wifi and create a wifi hotspot always in 5ghz(that what she says)
    Now connect the Chromecast, Headset,Phone with Oculus App to the Hotspot and Enjoy your casting to the TV through the Chromecast.
    But don't expect e HD quality, let's say you are around the 360p, but is better than nothing. 
    edited July 28

OK I've just been playing with installing the Oculus app on my Android TV (Sony in my case) to bypass casting from phone or tablet and do it directly from the TV.

The app will install ok but launching puts the TV into landscape mode then it doesn't accept any input via either the TV remote or the touchpad remote so I can't get past the sign-in screen.

Well, it was worth a try, but for this to work Oculus would have to do an adaptation of their app for Android TV.

Trinity
    Damn...I was going to warn you about that. I mentioned in my other thread, about Oculus app saying my Pi was compatible, that I had to also install Rotation Control from the app store, and set it to landscape mode. It only rotates apps that expect a vertical screen, such as the Oculus app. I also forgot to mention you need to pair the Quest with the bluetooth in the device...hopefully it has bluetooth, or it's a no go, as that's how it pairs.
    Spuzzum said:
    Damn...I was going to warn you about that. I mentioned in my other thread, about Oculus app saying my Pi was compatible, that I had to also install Rotation Control from the app store, and set it to landscape mode. It only rotates apps that expect a vertical screen, such as the Oculus app. I also forgot to mention you need to pair the Quest with the bluetooth in the device...hopefully it has bluetooth, or it's a no go, as that's how it pairs.
    Yeah, the TV has bt. I'm not sure if orientation is contributing to the inability to input anything into the app though... or the lack of touch screen is the issue. I think the app just isn't recognising inputs from my remotes, the cursor type control of the regular remote, or the thumpad type control of the pad remote, neither is working.
    Trinity
    edited July 28
    That's strange...I just used my wireless mouse. :P As for the bluetooth though, the Android box needs it, not the tv.

edit: Sorry...missed that you had an Android TV, not and Android TV box. My bad. BT in the tv is all that's needed then. :P
    Hiro Protagonist
    Spuzzum said:
    Yeah, the TV has bt. I'm not sure if orientation is contributing to the inability to input anything into the app though... or the lack of touch screen is the issue. I think the app just isn't recognising inputs from my remotes, the cursor type control of the regular remote, or the thumpad type control of the pad remote, neither is working.
    I have a SONY TV with Android integration, but doesn't like Bluetooth devices outside the SONY sphere. Do you see the Oculus with the TV??
    I have Bluetooth headphone and the TV doesn't see them

I cant get past the app sign-in screen @Wolfox. My touchpad remote is bt and that works as a mouse but it's seemingly not able to navigate within the sideloaded Oculus app. So unfortunately I don't get the stage that I can test the Quest connection with the TV.

As it is I have a Sony Tablet which mirrors its screen to the TV just fine so I can use that instead of casting, with the app installed on the tablet.... but it would be good to get the app on the TV working so anyone with Android TV can use a TV without phone or tablet.

I'll have another play today though, just in case I've missed something.

Trinity
    Does the tv accept wireless mice? I'm using a simple Logitech model. maybe it's the touchpad itself it doesn't like(?).
    edited July 29
    I've just dug up my old laptop bt mouse (Microsoft) and am charging up a couple AAAs so will give it a try shortly.
    Hiro Protagonist
    I use the more reliable Logitech k400. batteries last for EVER and dongle in the USB has also a reliable connection!!! I had a mini bluetooth keyboard with trackpad, maybe because it's old , but it would die after two days 
    Trinity
    edited July 29
    Wolfox said:
    I use the more reliable Logitech k400. batteries last for EVER and dongle in the USB has also a reliable connection!!! I had a mini bluetooth keyboard with trackpad, maybe because it's old , but it would die after two days 

I have the K400, but I prefer to use an actual mouse over the touchpad. Especially in situations like I just had while testing Android OS on both my Raspberry Pi and my PC...you can't grab and drag very well with the touchpad and corresponding buttons, especially where you need to swipe to acknowledge/accept something. I also dislike the sensitivity of the trackpad...sometimes it registers a left click, when all I did was touch the pad. I have an M325 mouse as well as the K400 keyboard and mouse combo. Unfortunately it needs 2 different dongles though...even though they're both Logitech unifying receivers.
    edited July 29

OK it works.

But it's not exactly user friendly at the moment. @Spuzzum you're spot on, you have to use a mouse to be able to select anything in the Oculus app so that you can then enter you username and password. And @Wolfox you're right about the TV being choosey about what accessories it likes.

So, it refuses to connect to my Microsoft BT Mouse, but my Logitech M705 mouse + unified dongle works fine (I should have tried that one first I guess). the on-screen keyboard can't be used with the mouse, it has to be either the TV's touchpad remote or the regular remote's cursor buttons. A usb keyboard may work too but I haven't tried that yet. The incorrect orientation doesn't help with the inputs either so will have to install the Rotation Control app you mentioned Spuzzum. 

The Quest connects just fine but the casting freezes after a short time and it's something that's happening on my tablet too so that probably has to do with the latest Oculus app build? I've installed version 28.0.0.3.237 so will have to try one of the older versions. I haven't used casting on my tablet or phone for a while so is anyone else experiencing freezing?

Anyway, this shows promise and if the freezing is sorted out, should provide a route to casting to Android TV.

Trinity
    WooHoo!! That's freaking awesome bud! As for the freezing...you got further than I did...lol. But judging by posts, they're having issues with the casting at the moment anyway. I know when I tried I had an actual error message, though I never wrote it down. Question though...with the Android TV, are you connected via your home wifi network, or does it have a direct connection to the Quest? What's the latency like? And...I'm assuming it has audio?
    Trinity
    Earlier when you said Android TV, I thought that was an Android version of Apple TV...that's why I thought you meant Android tv boxes...like a Kodi box. But seeing how it works on an actual Android tv, then this would probably work on Kodi boxes as well. There's always deals on second hand boxes on craigslist. The Oculus app requires Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) or higher. They're currently at Android 9.0, so people usually flog the older devices for newer ones. I can get a 6.0 box with a remote and 1 of those handheld keyboards that look like an oversized gaming controller with thumbpads for $40 right now. As long as you don't want the latest and greatest box, then it's still good enough to use for casting.