New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

After allowing Oculus to update it no longer starts!

Hellborn59Hellborn59 Posts: 7
NerveGear
edited July 2019 in Support
I tried to start it manually but there was some information about problem with  oculus not connecting and oculus app suggested that i run the repair.
I did and now I no longer even have Oculus installed?

Tried to download installer and reinstall but get an error during install. If i translate from Swedish the Oculus installer says something like:
Restart the computer
There was an error during installation. Restart computer and try to run Oculus Setup again. If you still have problem contact Oculus Support.

And yes, I still have problem.
I have tried to run the installer several times restarting the computer as well but installer refuses to work.

I'm using Rift and Oculus on Windows 7.

Comments

• evilmouse171evilmouse171 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Same here, I managed to get Oculus started (by restarting the Runtime manually and changing the runtime file over) but then I keep getting a "Dash has stopped working" popup in the headset (even though it should be disabled for us Windows 7 users).

I've got the impression that whether accidentally or on purpose, that Oculus has raised the minimum spec of the CV1 Rift to Windows 10 via this update.
  • sraurasraura Posts: 590
    Trinity
    Yes this could be the case... At some point they do have changed the minimum requirements for all Rifts to Windows 10. However would expect such change to be mentioned at patch notes or patch refusing to install at win7 computers... Would seem rather radical move to nuke all win7 clients without warning. I doubt they have done anything on purpose at least.
  • lunyeelunyee Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    edited July 2019
    I'm having this issue as well - Win7. It was fine a couple days ago but now it just hangs trying to contact the oculus service. I've tried:
    • Restarting my PC (as suggested by the app)
    • Repairing the app (as suggested by the app)
    • Manually uninstalling and reinstalling (incl. applying the March2018 patch).
    • Unplugging and replugging the Rift headset.
    Nothing seems to work. This honestly has to be one of my worst software experiences, as this seems to happen with frightening regularity. I guess we just wait for another update.
  • WisielWisiel Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Same here. Win7. Nothing works... Any help????
    NerveGear
    It seems that attempting to run C:/Program Files/Oculus/Support/oculus-runtime/OVRServer_x64.exe generates the following error:

"The procedure entry point GetOverlappedResultEx could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll."

From the MSDN docs:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/api/ioapiset/nf-ioapiset-getoverlappedresultex

the minimum client version for the GetOverlappedResultEx interface is Windows 8. So it seems that they broke Win7 compatibility in the most recent server update.

NerveGear
    Someone else had a response from Oculus support saying 1.39 officially has Win10 as a min req...

• jef32jef32 Posts: 59
    Hiro Protagonist
    It's an ABSOLUTE SHAME !!!!!!! Hope Oculus will fix that very soon !
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,256 Volunteer Moderator
    You should really consider upgrading to Windows 10. All support (including security updates) for Windows 7 ends in less than 6 months. It’s 10 years old and obsolete, and no longer fit to run cutting edge stuff like VR. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
    Trinity
    edited July 2019
    As I said - It is very unlikely that they have done this on purpose. Specially as 1.39 PTC notes say they fixed win7/8 related issues.

Note:

Update 7/11/19 - This issue has been resolved with the latest PTC update (1.39.0.268010).

There is currently a known issue with 1.39 PTC that prevents it from working properly on Windows 7/8. If you are on Windows 7/8, please do not opt into the PTC at this time. If you already received the PTC update and are experiencing issues on Windows 7/8, please use the Oculus installer and perform a repair install to go back to the 1.38 release.

I bet some1 just forgot to add this fix to the "stable" build and test it on win7 before they sent it away...
    So I guess we can add 7/25/19 update to that, which pretty much goes with "oops" :)
  • AletdownofstateAletdownofstate Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    edited July 2019
    Cool. I literally just bought a CV1 last week, that worked yesterday. Real cool.

I'm glad you find this funny, Sraura.
  • TestchamberTestchamber Posts: 25
    Brain Burst
    Same here and on Win 7. And when trying to auto fix file I get the old "oculus setup requires the KB2670838 and KB3033929 windows 7 hotfixes" comment when I have both hotfixes. I had this rubbish when I very first bought it.
    When I bought this over a year ago it said runs on win 7. So it should!! They never said " unless we dump a daft hungry front end on you'll never use". Hopefully they'll fix soon, There's a first time for everything.
    Trinity
    Same here and on Win 7. And when trying to auto fix file I get the old "oculus setup requires the KB2670838 and KB3033929 windows 7 hotfixes" comment when I have both hotfixes. I had this rubbish when I very first bought it.
    When I bought this over a year ago it said runs on win 7. So it should!! They never said " unless we dump a daft hungry front end on you'll never use". Hopefully they'll fix soon, There's a first time for everything.
    That hotfix problem is easy to pass, but I don't think that it fixes the issue what you guys are currently experiencing... Something obviously went wrong with the latest 1.39 "stable" build...
    Trinity
    Cool. I literally just bought a CV1 last week, that worked yesterday. Real cool.

I'm glad you find this funny, Sraura.
    Yes I know it is wrong in all possible ways, but the timing was spot on.
  • XmapleXmaple Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Same issue for me, I can't use Oculus App with Windows 7 since today.
    NerveGear
    I wound up upgrading my Win7 box to Win10 which still seems to work for free. It was something I was planning on doing eventually. This whole experience still reflects poorly on Oculus to simply break compat without warning or recourse for those of us that were still on Win7.
  • Clau_DecebalClau_Decebal Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I sadly have the same problem reported here. I was using my Oculus Rift without problems on my Windows7 computer until today. After the update I have the same error "Oculus App Status: Can't reach Oculus service. Please try restarting your computer. If that doesn't work, try repairing your Oculus app." -Repairing did not help.
    I have tried various fixes and workarounds I could find on the net. Tried 4 or 5 times to uninstall and reinstall. Nothing helped, its very frustrating as I bought my unit just a few months ago and was very happy with it.
    Hopefully its just a mistake, and it will be resolved with a hotfix or something similar. At least keep the support until January 2020.
  • AletdownofstateAletdownofstate Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    That's good to hear.
  • Nick_The_NinjaNick_The_Ninja Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Same issue here. Looking forward to finding out what's going on.

• MaxerMaxer Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Same problem here (Win7 Pro). Good that I am not the only one... ^^
  • Slim1337Slim1337 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I too am having this issue, really not impressed
  • TragicDelightTragicDelight Posts: 63
    Hiro Protagonist
    EVERYONE update your GPU drivers and then Install 1.39 firmware 7/25/19
    fixes EVERYTHING including the static flashes. tested for 4.5 hours in 3 games. PERFECTION and improved tracking ability
  • Slim1337Slim1337 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I updated my GPU drivers and it hasn't helped, same issue.
  • GoldFoxiGoldFoxi Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Can we just have the option NOT to update? If you don't wanna support windows 7 - don't, just let me use the version wich is working. I don't need fancy worlds or new interface every 2 months anyway, i just need my glasses to work.
  • yandooyandoo Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Can we please have a fix for this. This is just frustrating now especially as it was working fine night before the update. It's gawd damn Friday!

• trist-10trist-10 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    edited July 2019
    Same issue here, getting the 'Can't reach Oculus Service' message after the latest update. Have tried a repair as well as a fresh reinstall, nothing has worked. Am running a Rift on Windows 7. Fingers crossed this doesn't take all weekend to fix...
  • joseba_1980joseba_1980 Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    Same issue here, win 7 pro.
    Hope they find the solution soon :(

• yandooyandoo Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Any news on a fix?
  • deftwaredeftware Posts: 83
    Hiro Protagonist
    Looks like someone started using UWP-only APIs from Kernel32.dll, which totally breaks Windows 7 compatibility. So much for the "Universal" in "Universal Windows Platform". Nobody even tested the outgoing patch on a Windows 7 system at Oculus. That's what blows my mind.