Quest / Go / Gear VR Build 7.0 Release Notes - Page 3 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Quest / Go / Gear VR Build 7.0 Release Notes

Comments

• Angek95Angek95 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Please, fix the cast to a TV feature. I have the 3rd generation Chromecast but quality is not good, there's delay and not always works. 
    Thank you.
  • jabjab Posts: 186
    Art3mis
    Getting much higher scores on expert in Beat Saber now with the improved tracking. So it guess wasn't just me when I felt that I lost a lot of hits that was actually good earlier.
  • SpuzzumSpuzzum Posts: 404
    Trinity
    edited July 28
    Since the update, I cannot start any apps under "Uknown sources". None of my unity projects are working now all the sudden. 

Unknown sources are not Oculus apps, so it's not up to Oculus to cater to those apps when updating firmwares. You sideloaded it on your own...you deal with it on your own. But...if you do a simple google, it's due to the new Oculus Go emulation...ie: only uses 1 controller, and only the trigger button. You also find in your google search that you can fix it yourself, by decompiling the apk, then modifying a single file. Magic.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/chjpu5/fix_for_sideloadedhomebrew_apps_and_games_with/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app
  • Yobiwan29Yobiwan29 Posts: 53
    Hiro Protagonist
    Some headset tracking issues here. Black screen during 2 seconds.
    Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest - Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming - i7 8700 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 MHz - Aorus GTX 1080Ti - 2 To SSD - Corsair RM650X 80+ gold
  • goldenegggoldenegg Posts: 552
    Trinity
    edited July 29
    Been generally having a very good experience with this new update.  

One issue I've noticed though is that campaign in Vader Immortal seems to have even worse performance issues that before.  At first glance, it would appear that the foviated rendering seems to be dialled back quite a bit, which would definitely impact performance.  Ultimately, the game has been in need of optimization since its release, but now it's completely out of the rotation of games I'll show people since the stuttering is pretty terrible.
  • x_gurux_guru Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    My update happened this morning, now my own program is broken, I can only see one hand at a time and it's not in the right place - this is using the OVRPlayerController
  • MountainDog12MountainDog12 Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    nalex66 said:
    cjesqip said:
    I look forward to the day that the Quest Guardian can detect a person, baby, or pet wandering into my space. Lots of bad accidents are going to happen to little babies. It's inevitable.
    There is a thing called personal responsibility. I have a toddler in the house, and I damn well make sure she isn’t in the room (and can’t get there) if I’m doing room-scale VR. It’s up to you to ensure you have a safe play space before you blind yourself to the world and start flailing your arms around. 
    Driving safely is also called personal responsibility! Cars still have seat belts & air bags...

It would be a great SAFETY feature if Quest Guardian can detect a person, baby, or pet wandering into my space.
  • mateus_vicentemateus_vicente Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I am a new user (developing on a Mac, using Unity) and, since this last update, my only project is not running anymore. I don't have the problem with the controller, but when trying to open my app I would get the message that the app was closed and if I wanted to restart it (or not), and the second trial only offers to quit the app. Then I tried to update the manifest XML file, from inside Unity, build and run, but now I only get the three white dots blinking forever...
    My system version is different from what was mentioned before: version 7.0.0.32.358.163419639 runtime version 7.1.0.35.358.164624773 os version user-333700.3370.0
    Any tip?
    Is it possible to downgrade to the previous system (FW and SW)?
  • Manikandan.jManikandan.j Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    hand prefab is'nt coming in latest version

• Manikandan.jManikandan.j Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    even sample scenes in oculus quest  hand is not coming ..we need help
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,583 Volunteer Moderator
    Looks like another update pushed out recently--I'm now on 333700.370.0 (it was 333700.2680.0 after the previous update). I knew there had been an update because my Quest battery was unexpectedly depleted when I went to play today.

I've been leaving my Quest in standby rather than doing a full shutdown, but the headset updates seem to turn it on and leave it on until the battery drains completely.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • Cain_BloodbaneCain_Bloodbane Posts: 62
    Hiro Protagonist
    When it comes to problems with building a Quest app with Unity, I found a solution. Sure is not easy to get around this... but I build the Quest app to create the APK somewhere. Not because we need the APK, although it is possible to fix the manifest file in the APK, but its just silly having to do that every time you rebuild your app... so the reason we build it here is to have Unity create the manifest file in a temp directory.

So you build the project, then go to the project folder and find Temp/StagingArea and in this folder the generated AndroidManifest.xml file will be. Edit this file and add the line
    <uses-feature android:name="android.hardware.vr.headtracking" android:required="true" android:version="1"/>

after the other user features in the file and instead of just saving it save it to the folder:
    Assets/Plugins/Android
    There should already be a folder like this and it should already contain an AndroidManifest.xml file. You might want to back it up first.

This is a bit of a hacky way to do it, but it works. A cleaner way of doing it would be the method explained here:
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/43293173/use-custom-manifest-file-and-permission-in-unity
    The first answer in this thread is the solution I just explained... but the second answer is the cleaner solution. Its about creating a "Assets/Editor/ModifyUnityAndroidAppManifestSample.cs" file which will add specific permissions to your manifest.

If you are not a developer and want to fix this for existing APK files you can use this solution:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/chjpu5/fix_for_sideloadedhomebrew_apps_and_games_with/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

• enigma01enigma01 Posts: 183
    Art3mis
    nalex66 said:
    Looks like another update pushed out recently--I'm now on 333700.370.0 (it was 333700.2680.0 after the previous update). 
    Mine has updated to this too. Didn’t seem to take anywhere near as long as the .2680 update which I had to leave on standby all day. This latest update was installed within 30 minutes of my headset being turned on and left on standby untouched. 
  • chilabobchilabob Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    please fix right controller issues. Lots of users can't play
  • SerpulaSerpula Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    edited July 31
    This update is extremely buggy, i keep getting crashes in games where the screen goes black, everything freezes (which is very nauseating) and then usually it comes back in a few seconds.... Robo Recall is completely unplayable, these freezes happen every 10 seconds or so, until the final one killed it and I had to switch off my Quest and restart. It happens regularly in Rec Room too, though not quite as badly.

Maybe you should start releasing updates as betas so that we don’t all have to suffer these problems? I’m seriously fed up with forced updates that break the console every few weeks :(

version: 3370
    Art3mis
    edited July 31
    Oculus reminds me of how ATI graphics cards used to be. Nice hardware with crappy software drivers. Problem being that it doesn't matter how nice the hardware is, if the software makes it unusable. And on the Quest they can't blame it on Windows updates, problematic PC hardware or bad user configurations, since they control every aspect of the platform.
    Trinity
    jab said:
    Oculus reminds me of how ATI graphics cards used to be. Nice hardware with crappy software drivers. Problem being that it doesn't matter how nice the hardware is, if the software makes it unusable. And on the Quest they can't blame it on Windows updates, problematic PC hardware or bad user configurations, since they control every aspect of the platform.

The Quest is barely 2 months old though...bugs in the beginning are inevitable. At least the devs are trying to fix things as fast as possible.
  • keith4251keith4251 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited August 1
    Shoutout to the developers. Keep pushing.  

I have noticed glitches in certain applications as well but nothing’s perfect.  Im sure you are already working some great patches. Please let me know if I can help in any way.
  • hobolocohoboloco Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited August 1
    It sure would be nice if there was some indication of the update status on the Go or on the iPhone application. If the device is checking for updates, it could show when the next check will take place. If the servers are pushing out updates on some proscribed basis, it would be great to know when I am scheduled.
  • hobolocohoboloco Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited August 1
    How do I enable the Bluetooth keyboard input? I want to pair the headset with my foot-operated controller that uses keyboard emulation and try it out. My headset version is 333690.2960.

I presume W and S will be forward and backward. I am hoping that A and D will turn rather than strafe. If not, will there be keys that will turn my view clockwise or counterclockwise (like a mouse in a 2D game)?
    Art3mis
    edited August 1
    Spuzzum said:
    jab said:

The Quest is barely 2 months old though...bugs in the beginning are inevitable. At least the devs are trying to fix things as fast as possible.
    Why? Have we become so jaded that we now think it is ok to sell a product before it is even finished? Granted the Quest problems haven't been as bad as with the Rift-S, but having problems with the main features like tracking etc. on a commercial product at release is not ok. It's like selling a car that sometimes steers left when you turn right.
    Trinity
    jab said:
    Spuzzum said:
    jab said:

Why? Have we become so jaded that we now think it is ok to sell a product before it is even finished? Granted the Quest problems haven't been as bad as with the Rift-S, but having problems with the main features like tracking etc. on a commercial product at release is not ok. It's like selling a car that sometimes steers left when you turn right.

lol...you're talking about software, and things that weren't apparent to the devs until it was in the hands of actual customers. You can't foresee every single little thing that's going to come up along the way. If you think you can do better...then send them your resume.
  • ezop73ezop73 Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    jab said:
    Spuzzum said:
    jab said:

If the product was completely finished, you'd never get an updates, there'd be no new feature because of people like yourself that complain, they'd just bring out an updated Headset with new completed featured firmware and ask you to pay another £500.
  • lobakilobaki Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    For those who are still having trouble on the Unreal packaging side of things...we were able to get our controllers working again by creating the ManifestRequirementsOverride.txt file in our Project/Build/Android directory and adding the line <uses-feature android:name="android.hardware.vr.headtracking" android:required="true" android:version="1"/>, as suggested above. 

However, this removed access to the sdcard for our app, so we weren't able to save local data (the app wouldn't show up in the UE4Game directory on the Quest either). We found that you need to open your AndroidManifest.xml file within Project/Intermediate/Android/APK/, and copy everything between <!-- Requirements --> and </manifest> to your ManifestRequirementsOverride.txt file (while also adding the new uses-feature line above). In our case, we needed access to local storage to save our game settings properly, and this was the solution (thanks to mervpls on this reddit thread for the help).

Here is the full text of our ManifestRequirementsOverride.txt, which solved our issue:
    <uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="21" android:targetSdkVersion="21" />
    <uses-feature android:glEsVersion="0x00020000" android:required="true" />
    <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.INTERNET" />
    <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" />
    <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE" />
    <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.WAKE_LOCK" />
    <uses-permission android:name="com.android.vending.CHECK_LICENSE" />
    <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.ACCESS_WIFI_STATE" />
    <!-- Supported texture compression formats (cooked) -->
    <supports-gl-texture android:name="GL_KHR_texture_compression_astc_ldr" />
    <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" />
    <uses-feature android:name="android.hardware.usb.host" />
    <uses-feature android:name="android.hardware.vr.headtracking" android:required="true" android:version="1"/>

• kikoanokikoano Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    My oculus go controller totally stopped working after this update after few minutes of use today and i cannot pair it again. I hope this is software problem and gets fixed really soon.
  • ezop73ezop73 Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    Oculus just pushed out another small update mines just updated to 333700.3780.0

No idea what's in the update, hopefully bugs fixed
  • goldenegggoldenegg Posts: 552
    Trinity
    ezop73 said:
    Oculus just pushed out another small update mines just updated to 333700.3780.0

No idea what's in the update, hopefully bugs fixed
    Mine updated last night.  Didn't notice any immediate difference with it.  Maybe it'll resolve some of the controller issues people have been having.
  • Emilian1978Emilian1978 Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    edited August 6
    User version: 333700.3780.0

It would be nice if Oculus devs would actually say what's new/fixed with each firmware update.

The Share - Video recording isn't working anymore. The videos can be watched in Galery but once you copy them to PC they are useless. I'm using the video recording for debugging purposes. PLEASE FIX IT ASAP !

Thanks.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,583 Volunteer Moderator
    edited August 7
    I seem to be getting slightly worse tracking with the latest update, for both the headset and the controllers (I've been occasionally getting head and hand tracking glitches, and I've never had this before).

I noticed that a few people complained of a similar tracking degradation with the Rift PTC updates (it got better with 1.39, then got worse, then got better again with incremental updates), so maybe the next update will improve things again for the Quest.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • JohanTEAJohanTEA Posts: 30
    Brain Burst
    edited August 19
    the 7.0 update is really a mixed bag.
    on one hand the controllers have much better tracking - which is great!
    on the other hand, the head tracking is really glitchy.
    first of all the guardian crash each 20 minutes or so. the screen goes black for a second and then things return as they were. it's really annoying.
    also, if i watch a high bit rate video with the Gallery app the head tracking fails much more easily than in the home app/lobby. it's a big difference in low light rooms especially.
    also, watching movies in the Gallery app now clearly set the screen to 60fps and a shitload of flickering comes with it. this is really annoying.
    also, the home app/lobby is glitchy. if i press a icon menu option like the home or library icon the whole home app freeze in it's position for about 0.5 second. it manages pitch/yaw/roll head movements but not x/y/z movements. the same behaviour can be seen in the Beat Saber menu.

when is a bug fix release expected?
    I gladly volounteer as beta tester! 😀