HOLY S*** No Mans Sky Coming August 14th Prepare your Engines — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

HOLY S*** No Mans Sky Coming August 14th Prepare your Engines

Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,669 Valuable Player
Can't wait.




System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
«13456713

Comments

  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,959 Volunteer Moderator
    Was wondering when it was due... Ive not played it yet in pancake despite buying at launch. I have a feeling that's about to change.
    Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.239)
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,589 Volunteer Moderator
    Been waiting for this... NMS is installed and ready, but I haven't launched it yet. I intend to only ever play it in VR.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • EvileyesEvileyes Posts: 334
    Trinity
    Oh man, this is it.. the killer VR app!
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,669 Valuable Player
    Evileyes said:
    Oh man, this is it.. the killer VR app!
    Not sure about VR Killer app due to the nature of the gameplay. Having invested 36 Hours into the 2D PC version and an equal number on PS4 the game is very much an acquired taste I'd say. That said, it could be as big as Minecraft for those who get drawn-in and an interesting aside for those who aren't.  On the plus side, I would liken this game to a more accessible Elite Dangerous type experience.


    System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • Star-lizardStar-lizard Posts: 325
    Trinity
    edited August 2
    Looking forward to it, picked it up on sale
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,669 Valuable Player
    Meanwhile VR support will bring the entire game experience to life in virtual reality. Grab the joystick and thruster to fly your starship over an unexplored alien planet as you peer out of the cockpit at the view below. Reach into your backpack to grab your multitool, touch it to switch to terrain manipulation, and carve out intricate shapes with unprecedented control. Play in multiplayer and casually wave to your non-VR friends or fist bump your VR peers. Anything possible in No Man’s Sky, NEXT or any other update will soon be ready and waiting as an immersive and enriched VR experience.

    If you want to know a little more about what to expect on August 14th, you can read a small preview from when we let press play for the first time.

    “No Man’s Sky is the virtual reality game I have waited my entire life to play” – GamesRadar
    “Murray hesitantly promoting the latest update to No Man’s Sky and us doing our best not to lose our cool. That, I’m afraid to say, is far easier said than done; No Man’s Sky is absolutely phenomenal when experienced in virtual reality. I’m sorry, Sean – this is where I cordially invite everybody to join me aboard the hype train, and there is no turning back this time.”

    “No Man’s Sky feels like a totally different game in VR” – IGN
    “I can’t really describe how it felt. Teetering just above the planet’s surface, it didn’t feel like No Man’s Sky anymore. It felt lonely, exciting, and honestly a little scary. That’s No Man’s Sky VR in a nutshell. Taking something you once knew and experiencing it in a completely different light.”

    “No Man’s Sky VR brings personal scale to an endless galaxy” – PCGamesN
    “Where many other VR games (with rare, excellent exceptions) have felt limited, the grandness inherent to No Man’s Sky rips those limitations apart”

    “No Man’s Sky and VR are the perfect match” – PCGamer
    “I spent fifteen minutes with No Man’s Sky VR, and it wasn’t nearly enough. Whatever voodoo is required to make a game feel just right in VR, Hello Games seems to have nailed it.”

    “No Man’s Sky in VR feels like a whole new game” – The Verge
    “I’ve played well over a hundred hours of No Man’s Sky since the game first debuted in 2016. I’ve touched down on countless planets, swam beneath alien oceans, and ran from a hostile robotic police force. But nothing I’ve done up until now has felt as thrilling as jumping into the cockpit of a ship, pulling down the glass enclosure with my hands, and pushing the throttle to blast off into the sky.”

    “No Man’s Sky is absolutely stellar in VR” – Eurogamer
    “It’s amazing, of course. There are few games better suited to the full immersion of virtual reality, and I’m delighted to say that, from my short experience: there’s that thrilling sense of being there, feet planted on some alien planet, scanning the horizons and getting drunk on the endless possibilities out there.”

    “No Man’s Sky in VR is a blast” – Polygon
    “This is VR at its most compelling, putting me in fantastical places and giving me viewpoints that I can never expect to attain in real life.”

    “No Man’s Sky VR is the purest way to explore the universe” – Engadget
    “If the goal of No Man’s Sky is to make players feel, full-stop — then VR is the best way to play. This sense of scale and immersion simply can’t translate on a 2D screen.”

    “Hands-On: No Man’s Sky VR Is A World Of Limitless Possibilities” – UploadVR
    “No Man’s Sky in VR is, without question, poised to immediately become the largest and most expansive VR game to date once the Beyond update releases.”


    System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,296 Valuable Player
    I'm still leaning towards "no buy" for me. But if some of you buy it and start giving rave reviews, I will likely cave! I look forward to reading everyone's feedback
    :)
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,669 Valuable Player
    A sensible approach although getting it on Sale for $24 instead of full price is a must. All signs so far suggest it's pretty decent judging by those quotes. I think it has been one of the most requested features since the game launched. Many people assumed it would have day one PSVR support which never materialised until now. 


    System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,271 Volunteer Moderator
    What exactly is it about ? If a D and D slasher then it's not for me. Maybe I should check a vid or 2
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,931 Valuable Player
    nalex66 said:
    Been waiting for this... NMS is installed and ready, but I haven't launched it yet. I intend to only ever play it in VR.

    Yup, me too!
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

    Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 2,890 Valuable Player
    edited August 2
    I already bought the game, played the pancake version for 10 min and decided to wait for VR. To me image quality and performance are key - let's hope Valve sent the devs an Index kit and that the devs optimize for GTX 970 or 1060 as their main target  ;) We only need one Wolfenstein Cyberpilot, lol.
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

    "Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,931 Valuable Player
    Techy111 said:
    What exactly is it about ? If a D and D slasher then it's not for me. Maybe I should check a vid or 2

    It's a game where you fly around in spaceships, land on planets, build bases, discover new lifeforms etc. It's basically like Elite Dangerous but with space legs and atmospheric planets. B)
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

    Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 2,890 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:
    Techy111 said:
    What exactly is it about ? If a D and D slasher then it's not for me. Maybe I should check a vid or 2

    It's a game where you fly around in spaceships, land on planets, build bases, discover new lifeforms etc. It's basically like Elite Dangerous but with space legs and atmospheric planets. B)
    You're insinuating that we can't finish it in 2 hours like other VR games and the get the refund?  :#
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

    "Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,271 Volunteer Moderator
    snowdog said:
    Techy111 said:
    What exactly is it about ? If a D and D slasher then it's not for me. Maybe I should check a vid or 2

    It's a game where you fly around in spaceships, land on planets, build bases, discover new lifeforms etc. It's basically like Elite Dangerous but with space legs and atmospheric planets. B)
    Ooh ok I'm in 👍
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

  • EvileyesEvileyes Posts: 334
    Trinity
    edited August 2
    I played it coming into it with zero expectations, I was annoyed right off the bat with it.. because my space suit was cracked and I needed oxygen, I figured that's how the whole game was.. Fast pace, high blood pressure inducing madness.. Then the more I played, the more I shit myself! I GOT HOOKED. I said to myself, this would be the ultimate VR game. So originally, I played the shit out of this, and im pretty sure im going to start over for VR, and play the ever loving SHIT out of this!

    For the people who havent played this? You have something amazing to look forward to. :)

    Mark my words.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,959 Volunteer Moderator
    @Evileyes I'm glad I've saved it for VR. From what you're saying it's probably going to be a lot of fun... I almost wish I'd saved Fallout 4 for VR but for me that would have been asking too much!
    Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.239)
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 2,890 Valuable Player
    @Evileyes I'm glad I've saved it for VR. From what you're saying it's probably going to be a lot of fun... 
    Agreed, just to mention it, according to VR Game Rankings, No Man's Sky is the most wanted VR game of all - even beating Stormland and Asgard's Wrath:

    https://www.vrgamerankings.com/top-20-most-wanted-all-platforms
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

    "Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 2,890 Valuable Player
    PS. Ok, Stormland wins according to VR Game Rankings if we only focus on PCVR (remove the consoles), still No Man's Sky may be candidate for GOTY. 

    https://www.vrgamerankings.com/top-100-most-wanted-pc-vr-games

    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

    "Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,931 Valuable Player
    Is it the 14th yet?

    I want to play it RIGHT NAO!!!
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

    Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,440 Valuable Player
    RuneSR2 said:
    I already bought the game, played the pancake version for 10 min and decided to wait for VR. To me image quality and performance are key - let's hope Valve sent the devs an Index kit and that the devs optimize for GTX 970 or 1060 as their main target  ;) We only need one Wolfenstein Cyberpilot, lol.
    I can't believe you haven't gone for a better Graphics cards after getting the Valve index. I thought you would be looking to get a Geforce 2080 super or a Geforce 2080ti now.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,931 Valuable Player
    Here's the VR trailer from 4 months back, I forgot that it had underwater exploration too!!!



    I'm going to be all over this!!!  B)
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

    Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 2,890 Valuable Player
    RedRizla said:
    RuneSR2 said:
    I already bought the game, played the pancake version for 10 min and decided to wait for VR. To me image quality and performance are key - let's hope Valve sent the devs an Index kit and that the devs optimize for GTX 970 or 1060 as their main target  ;) We only need one Wolfenstein Cyberpilot, lol.
    I can't believe you haven't gone for a better Graphics cards after getting the Valve index. I thought you would be looking to get a Geforce 2080 super or a Geforce 2080ti now.
    Yes, not a bad idea, but for many years I've lived by the rule of only upgrading if I can gain at least 100% more performance. 2080 Ti isn't 100% faster than my current video card, but something like 40 to 80 %. I'm waiting for Nvidia 7nm video cards - or for whatever AMD can do. When I get a new video card I want all my 45 fps to turn into 90 fps - and hopefully all my 60 fps to turn into 120 fps (although cpu may start to be important too for 120 fps). 
    Don't want to buy 2080Ti now only to find that in 3-6 months I can get something faster for the same price. But Index would love a 2080 Ti, no doubt there ;)
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

    "Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,931 Valuable Player
    edited August 2
    And I also forgot that Rutger Hauer did a trailer three years ago too:

    https://youtu.be/-UVQ14JrfRI

     <3 
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

    Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,931 Valuable Player

    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

    Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,440 Valuable Player
    edited August 2
    RuneSR2 said:
    RedRizla said:
    RuneSR2 said:
    I already bought the game, played the pancake version for 10 min and decided to wait for VR. To me image quality and performance are key - let's hope Valve sent the devs an Index kit and that the devs optimize for GTX 970 or 1060 as their main target  ;) We only need one Wolfenstein Cyberpilot, lol.
    I can't believe you haven't gone for a better Graphics cards after getting the Valve index. I thought you would be looking to get a Geforce 2080 super or a Geforce 2080ti now.
    Yes, not a bad idea, but for many years I've lived by the rule of only upgrading if I can gain at least 100% more performance. 2080 Ti isn't 100% faster than my current video card, but something like 40 to 80 %. I'm waiting for Nvidia 7nm video cards - or for whatever AMD can do. When I get a new video card I want all my 45 fps to turn into 90 fps - and hopefully all my 60 fps to turn into 120 fps (although cpu may start to be important too for 120 fps). 
    Don't want to buy 2080Ti now only to find that in 3-6 months I can get something faster for the same price. But Index would love a 2080 Ti, no doubt there ;)
    The problem is you won't turn 45 fps into 90 fps in VR. You are only talking about a 1080p 2D monitor when you talk about turning 45fps into 90 fps.
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 866
    3Jane
    NMS is, in a nutshell, a spreadsheet simulator - if you really want to  'play' the game you will need to keep track of a lot of materials, harvesting them time and again (sounds like ED!).  The ships are unique (being proc gen too) and range from almost believable to oddball.
    Space stations designs can be counted on the fingers of 1 hand, and the missions list is 'samey' regardless of race.

    That said, the flight model is pretty good, fighting pirates is distinct fun, the base building is fun and the range of planets, and their flora/fauna is fascinating.

    The game requires a lot of 'managing' but so do a lot of other sims...

    I like it, am looking forward to VR with it - and wondering what control scheme will be used.

    If you can get it at a reduced price, buy it - in truth it is a game that has been waiting for VR to give it a chance to shine.
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, Gigabyte GTX 1080, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Corsair Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

    Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD 3K screen)
  • jayhawkjayhawk Posts: 804
    3Jane
    Was wondering when it was due... Ive not played it yet in pancake despite buying at launch. I have a feeling that's about to change.
    I prefer the term 'frisbee'. Flat is so yesterday.
  • Star-lizardStar-lizard Posts: 325
    Trinity
    edited August 2
    So I'm not sure how it will run in VR however I downloaded the Vulcan beta on 2D had and my fps went from ok 60 ~ 90 to 130+ , iv only played it for around 20 min as I have been waiting for the VR version
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,296 Valuable Player
    Evileyes said:
    I played it coming into it with zero expectations, I was annoyed right off the bat with it.. because my space suit was cracked and I needed oxygen, I figured that's how the whole game was.. Fast pace, high blood pressure inducing madness.. Then the more I played, the more I shit myself! I GOT HOOKED. I said to myself, this would be the ultimate VR game. So originally, I played the shit out of this, and im pretty sure im going to start over for VR, and play the ever loving SHIT out of this!

    For the people who havent played this? You have something amazing to look forward to. :)

    Mark my words.

    This is some promising feedback. It probably won't take too much convincing for me if this game can at least get the basics right. Far too often we see big name titles make an epic flop when they enter VR. Such as the release of: The Forest VR, SkyrimVR, FalloutVR.

    Hopefuly "No Man's Sky" will do a better job with its Day 1 debut in VR, else this will remain a "No Man's Buy" for me.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,916 Valuable Player
    edited August 3
    Picked this up in green Man gaming sale for around £15 a few days back ready for VR. Game was a huge let down at launch but have to hand it to HG they made good in the end

    PS I would call Skyrim or fallout VR epic flops myself.... Slightly limited VR support sure but still pretty damn decent imo
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
Sign In or Register to comment.