HOLY S*** No Mans Sky Coming August 14th Prepare your Engines - Page 13 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

HOLY S*** No Mans Sky Coming August 14th Prepare your Engines

Comments

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,428 Valuable Player
    lol yeah something sounds fubared for sure
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,732 Volunteer Moderator
    Yeah, I wiped that save and restarted. This time I got a barren hellscape instead of an ice planet, but my ship was within 500u of my starting location, so that made it easier to get going. Launched into space, got the message to find some coordinates, and flew over to the marked location. It's now almost 4:00 am, so I'm calling it a night.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,700 Valuable Player
    If I just gaffa tape my controller to a sink plunger it will have the same effect as Lzoltowski's right?

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    If I just gaffa tape my controller to a sink plunger it will have the same effect as Lzoltowski's right?

Lol, it's all about that ball action tho.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,064 Volunteer Moderator

@LZoltowski now you got me thinking... maybe there's a use for my old X52 that doesn't work anymore

…remove the sticks & attach cups. Bob's your uncle.

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.356)
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,649
    Project 2501
    I think I'm getting used to the virtual joystick. It's just that it's easy to panic during combat. I wish they had some combat training module so you could practice. 

I was collecting crystals on an extreme weather planet. It was pretty awesome. 
    i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,011 Valuable Player
    They have a discord channel if anyone is interested. I haven't installed the program myself as I'm always cautious of installing stuff on my PC and I'm waiting on bigMike to fill us in

Snowdog is way more experienced with it than me
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,995 Valuable Player
    They have a discord channel if anyone is interested. I haven't installed the program myself as I'm always cautious of installing stuff on my PC and I'm waiting on bigMike to fill us in

Snowdog is way more experienced with it than me

That's what she said!  B)

Easy to use. Download it. Run it. Press the Use OpenComposite button. Job done. When you want your Steam games to use SteamVR again run it and press the Use SteamVR button.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 904
    3Jane
    edited August 23
    Graphics loss in NMS Beyond is noticable, below are before and after Beyond - this is from 4K pancake at Ultra!  Look at the Frigates by the Freighter....

Even my gently rolling hills have gone craggy!

PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,596 Valuable Player
    @RattyUK - You need to show both in the daytime because I can't see the difference with one being at night time.
    Anyone else noticed a crazy drop in framerate every now and then on planet surfaces? I might have to turn ASW back on!

Couldn't play the game yesterday due to me having laser treatment for diabetic retinopathy so everything was a bit blurry for a while. :o

So there must have been an update (or probably several knowing these workaholics lol) that's screwed something up between Wednesday night and tonight that's screwing things up.

Also found a weird thing when using the Terrain Manipulator to grab some copper. I've been seeing through the planet so that you can see the sky box. Looks pretty weird  :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

3Jane
    Not exactly daylight, but in space not far from the Freighter:

PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Dear Oculus, No Man's Sky on my 4K flatscreen TV doesn't look anywhere near as good as it does on my Rift. Fuck you, I'm buying a Vive. :D

3Jane
    edited August 24
    snowdog said:
    Dear Oculus, No Man's Sky on my 4K flatscreen TV doesn't look anywhere near as good as it does on my Rift. Fuck you, I'm buying a Vive. :D
    That's  why I use a 4K monitor - TV's are tat for games :P

It looks bad on the Rift S too...   Now waiting for Oculus to get some VR love from HG...

@RattyUK - Obviously you who has played the game can see a difference, but having not played the game myself, I can't tell the difference unless both shots are taken in the same light and place.
    3Jane
    RedRizla said:
    @RattyUK - Obviously you who has played the game can see a difference, but having not played the game myself, I can't tell the difference unless both shots are taken in the same light and place.
    Ok, although night and day - this demonstrates quite well  - both are taken from my base (as above) except I've just taken the bit that is important :)

Frigates with hoops...
    In Beyond the details of the ships 'pop-in' just before arriving at the frigate!

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,428 Valuable Player
    lol, I need to log back in and see this for myself. But those screenshot compares are hilarious. Reminds me of...

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    3Jane
    edited August 25
    Zenbane said:
    lol, I need to log back in and see this for myself. But those screenshot compares are hilarious. Reminds me of...

It's even worse in VR...

Even the experimental Vulkan release was almost as good as the OpenGL version (apart form my base world becoming less rolling hills...) but what we have now is like going back to the low-poly games of the '90s!

Vulkan Experimental - hidden behind a cloud.

In a couple more 'performance' patches I guess we'll all be flying about in ships made from little cuboids and remembering the 'good old 8 bit' days >:)

edited August 25
    RattyUK said:
    RedRizla said:
    Ok, although night and day - this demonstrates quite well  - both are taken from my base (as above) except I've just taken the bit that is important :)

Frigates with hoops...
    In Beyond the details of the ships 'pop-in' just before arriving at the frigate!
    If they had to dumb it down that much for the Rift S, I'd hate to see an Oculus Quest version. I'm guessing those ships would disappear altogether if this was Oculus Quest.
    Here's the bit I don't get. I've seen much better games that have better graphics then No Mans Sky in VR, so why have they had to dumb it down like this?
    Just want to say I thought you meant the large freighter at first that's why I didn't notice.
    A recent patch mentioned a fix for a LOD problem, which sounds like what you’re experiencing. It may be worth having another look with the latest version. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
    3Jane
    RedRizla said:
    RattyUK said:
    RedRizla said:

Frigates with hoops...
    If they had to dumb it down that much for the Rift S, I'd hate to see an Oculus Quest version. I'm guessing those ships would disappear altogether if this was Oculus Quest.
    Here's the bit I don't get. I've seen much better games that have better graphics the No Mans Sky in VR, so why have they had to dumb it down like this?
    Just want to say I thought you meant the large freighter at first that's why I didn't notice.
    Those are from pancake 4K Ultra....
    VR is marginally worse, but an Oculus patch is likely arriving soon as VR excluding Oculus had an update Friday I think.

OpenComposite has a new version that fixes the control issues in NMS, haven't tried it yet though!

• MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,649
    Project 2501
    edited August 27
    I finally built an exocraft. The terrain is so rough that it wasn't fun to drive but that was my first drive. 

I also own a fleet with 2 ships. I lost one ship on some mission. I feel like I wasted U 8 mil on a freighter that's not earning me any money. If the freighter survives an expedition I get like 100k units but it costs me millions if they get destroyed. 

They do a good job in guiding you through active tutorials but the game is still very complicated. 

Tip: Once you get a frigate use it to travel because it uses far less antimatter than your personal spaceship. 
    i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
    edited August 29
    I've just gotten to the story part where you come across an abandoned, damaged starship (still pretty early on). I'm hoping I can fix it up and start using it, but I'm not sure about getting or refining some of the needed materials. I've build a second small base there so I can find my way back. My game was a bit crashy tonight--it froze twice while I was getting my base put together, so I had to redo a bunch of pain-in-the-ass resource collection and building.

Does anyone know how to reduce the beam size of the terrain manipulator for mining deposits? If I go into the Mode menu on the back of the right hand, I can change the beam size for creating terrain (with the grip buttons), but I can't get it to take for removing terrain. I've read that you get much more resources from a deposit with the smallest beam size, so it would be nice to figure out how to do that.

Edit: I read on Reddit that if you open the left hand menu (Quick Menu), then the grip buttons work to resize the terrain manipulator beam for subtractive mode. Will test tonight.

Edit 2: That worked. The smallest beam size gave me a TON more copper out of a deposit--like 5x more! It took a lot longer to mine, but the amount of materials was worth it. I also had to replenish my terrain manipulator a few times before I was done, but it can run on Silicate Powder, which you always end up getting plenty of while you're digging.
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,082 Valuable Player
    Oi spoiler alert lol
    Spoiler alert: this game features spaceships, and you can acquire new ones as you progress.

I just meant that it wasn’t a random discovery, it was at one of the beacons that the game has you following from the beginning. I’m assuming that this is meant to be my first opportunity to upgrade to a better ship than the starting one, but I don’t know yet because I haven’t determined whether I can fix it. 
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,082 Valuable Player
    edited August 29
    There you go again, you mean there are spaceships in NMS ;)

I am currently at the main menu. :) just in case anybody has not launched it yet. Don't want to spoil it for those who didn't know it had a menu. 

• msm903msm903 Posts: 105
    Art3mis
    nalex66 said:
    I've just gotten to the story part where you come across an abandoned, damaged starship (still pretty early on). I'm hoping I can fix it up and start using it, but I'm not sure about getting or refining some of the needed materials. I've build a second small base there so I can find my way back. My game was a bit crashy tonight--it froze twice while I was getting my base put together, so I had to redo a bunch of pain-in-the-ass resource collection and building.

Does anyone know how to reduce the beam size of the terrain manipulator for mining deposits? If I go into the Mode menu on the back of the right hand, I can change the beam size for creating terrain (with the grip buttons), but I can't get it to take for removing terrain. I've read that you get much more resources from a deposit with the smallest beam size, so it would be nice to figure out how to do that.

Edit: I read on Reddit that if you open the left hand menu (Quick Menu), then the grip buttons work to resize the terrain manipulator beam for subtractive mode. Will test tonight.
    I have crashes more often when I utilize Steam VR Beta.
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,608 Valuable Player
    msm903 said:
    nalex66 said:

I have crashes more often when I utilize Steam VR Beta.
    Steam VR is becoming a bloated mess, Open Composite is the way to go to run Steam VR games long as the game is supported ok in it.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|