New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

HOLY S*** No Mans Sky Coming August 14th Prepare your Engines

Comments

• msm903msm903 Posts: 106
    Art3mis
    dburne said:
    msm903 said:
    nalex66 said:
    I've just gotten to the story part where you come across an abandoned, damaged starship (still pretty early on). I'm hoping I can fix it up and start using it, but I'm not sure about getting or refining some of the needed materials. I've build a second small base there so I can find my way back. My game was a bit crashy tonight--it froze twice while I was getting my base put together, so I had to redo a bunch of pain-in-the-ass resource collection and building.

Does anyone know how to reduce the beam size of the terrain manipulator for mining deposits? If I go into the Mode menu on the back of the right hand, I can change the beam size for creating terrain (with the grip buttons), but I can't get it to take for removing terrain. I've read that you get much more resources from a deposit with the smallest beam size, so it would be nice to figure out how to do that.

Edit: I read on Reddit that if you open the left hand menu (Quick Menu), then the grip buttons work to resize the terrain manipulator beam for subtractive mode. Will test tonight.
    I have crashes more often when I utilize Steam VR Beta.
    Steam VR is becoming a bloated mess, Open Composite is the way to go to run Steam VR games long as the game is supported ok in it.
    Tried it, crashed and went back to non beta steam  VR. Also I can invite my friends too
  • Star-lizardStar-lizard Posts: 344
    Trinity
    nalex66 said:
    Man, I'm really getting sucked into NMS. I did get that crashed ship up and running--I've repaired the flight systems, weapons, and shields, but half the inventory slots are damaged (and need a ton of materials to repair), so I'm currently looking for an opportunity to trade it in towards a better ship (I haven't had enough cash for anything I've wanted so far, even with the trade-in of this ship). I need to do some serious resource gathering so I can raise enough money to upgrade my ship and buy a better multi-tool. I'm slowly getting the hang of everything, but there is so much to learn in this game!

The latest VR improvements have moved from the experimental branch to the main game as of yesterday, so if you're having performance issues or are waiting for patches, it's worth it to jump in. I'm getting decent performance on the High preset (with no AA) with 150% resolution in SteamVR. I'm going to try the AA settings again now that they've apparently fixed it.
    I haven't tried this myself as I haven't played in the last week with a new PC build etc

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,089 Valuable Player
    Massive improvement for me in todays patch.  Am still hitting ASW quite a lot but the stutter has totally gone, also draw distance, whilst not great seems improved too.

i could happily play this all day now without sickness

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • Star-lizardStar-lizard Posts: 344
    Trinity
    Well I just received a notification of my password being changed in the last 30 min , so I had to go back and reset it. Good to see Oculus on top of things
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,056 Volunteer Moderator
    MowTin said:
    I finally built an exocraft. The terrain is so rough that it wasn't fun to drive but that was my first drive. 

I also own a fleet with 2 ships. I lost one ship on some mission. I feel like I wasted U 8 mil on a freighter that's not earning me any money. If the freighter survives an expedition I get like 100k units but it costs me millions if they get destroyed. 

They do a good job in guiding you through active tutorials but the game is still very complicated. 

Tip: Once you get a frigate use it to travel because it uses far less antimatter than your personal spaceship. 
    I realized last night that I had access to exocraft—I thought they were locked behind a base-building quest, but that apparently changed with the Beyond update. I grabbed the plans and built one on a nice hilly red-grass planet that I had recently found. It was fun to drive around, but yeah, it’s a bit of a rough ride. Now I want to try some of the other vehicles, particularly the two-wheeler. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,157 Valuable Player
    I'm still in the first star system lmfao  :D:D:D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    edited September 2
    The main quest makes you warp to new systems a couple times, and I did once for a side quest, so I’ve now got four discovered systems. I’ve been to all the planets and moons of my first system, and I’m working on discovering them all for the other systems before I go further. 

It’s to a good idea to visit the space station in each system and use the teleporter so it gets added to your list of jump locations, making it easy to move between systems. You can also get a free inventory slot upgrade at each new space station you visit, so it’s worthwhile to venture out a little. Once you have access to the Nexus, you also get a free inventory upgrade for each system from which you visit it.

Maybe I should start a “tips and tricks” thread for this game. There are a lot of details that the game never tells you (some specific to VR, and some general), and a lot of the info that’s out there is wrong, because the game mechanics were changed in the Beyond update. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
    I haven't even bothered powering up my first base yet. I'm too busy getting maps for places to visit. I saw today on the NMS Facebook group that you can dig up these ancient ruins to reveal a lot of it, they've been buried over the years. :o

I'm going to nip out of the star system I started in later on tonight I think cos if I don't do this I'll never be able to go underwater and scan a shitload of fauna that I've missed.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

It's worth digging around when you find some of these ruins! I'll post what I found in the spoiler below:

I found an ancient chest type thing with three keyholes and three keys. Opened it up and found some genetically modified planet thing worth 479,000 Units! Hopefully not all Ancient Ruins have these sort of things cos at the moment I feel like Indiana Harv lol :D:D:D

• Rob_In_PhoenixRob_In_Phoenix Posts: 344
    Trinity
    nalex66 said:

It’s to a good idea to visit the space station in each system and use the teleporter so it gets added to your list of jump locations, making it easy to move between systems. You can also get a free inventory slot upgrade at each new space station you visit, so it’s worthwhile to venture out a little. Once you have access to the Nexus, you also get a free inventory upgrade for each system from which you visit it.

Maybe I should start a “tips and tricks” thread for this game. There are a lot of details that the game never tells you (some specific to VR, and some general), and a lot of the info that’s out there is wrong, because the game mechanics were changed in the Beyond update. 
    Go right ahead with some tips and tricks.  I super new at the game (12 hours) and just got to the first anomaly as part of the story line.  But before continuing on with the story, I'd like to return to my home planet and do some base building and learn some game mechanics.  Then I'll proceed.
    I don't know how to get back to my home planet.  I have only 1 warp cell at the moment which would only get me part of the way (I think).
    I don't know the first thing about teleporters.  I see them at space stations.  What happens if I walk through one, where will I go?
    Basically I'm shitty at this game and while I'm getting the hang of a few things, I have been in a state perpetual cluelessness as the story drags me along with it.
    I want to stop the story for a little bit and just chill on my home planet, learn how to build some shit, maybe get a new ship and earn some more money.  Then when I feel like I know what I'm doing, I'll keep going with the story line.
    edited September 2
    Did you build a teleporter at your base as part of the main story (before your first space station visit)? You can use the teleporter at any space station to jump back to your base for free, as well as any other space station teleporter you’ve used. You do the grab-and-pull interaction, then it gives you a list of destinations to choose from (your ship goes with you too). I’ve read that you can jump to your base even if you didn’t build a teleporter there, but I haven’t tested that.

That’s why I said to visit the space station whenever you get to a new system—once you’ve used the teleporter, it’s in your list of destinations. It may get into your list just by interacting with it even if you don’t jump anywhere, I haven’t tested that either. 

You should only use warp cells to get to new systems, since the space station teleporters give you free and easy fast-travel between all your discovered systems. 
    Trinity
    nalex66 said:
    Did you build a teleporter at your base as part of the main story (before your first space station visit)? You can use the teleporter at any space station to jump back to your base for free, as well as any other space station teleporter you’ve used. You do the grab-and-pull interaction, then it gives you a list of destinations to choose from (your ship goes with you too). I’ve read that you can jump to your base even if you didn’t build a teleporter there,  it I haven’t tested that. 

That’s why I said to visit the space station whenever you get to a new system—once you’ve used the teleporter, it’s in your list of destinations. It may get into your list just by interacting with it even if you don’t jump anywhere, I haven’t tested that either. 

You should only use warp warp cells to get to new systems, since the space station teleporters give you free and easy fast-travel between all your discovered systems. 
    Nalex, this is great. Thank you for the explanations.  Ok, I can get to a teleporter no problem and yes I have a teleporter at my base.  I was afraid I would strand my ship or something so I've been thinking about how to manufacture warp cells to get back to my home planet - I told you I didn't know what I was doing.
    I see what you mean about warp cells only being needed for new systems.
    Does my base teleporter need to be powered when I beam in from another location?

No, it only needs power if you want to teleport out from your base. I wouldn’t get too invested in your home planet base... find a nice planet with a non-hazardous environment, and build a new base beside a small outpost. Then you can walk around without worrying about your exosuit, and you’ve got a trade terminal right there.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,629 Valuable Player
    I could definitely use a "tips and tricks" thread myself. I have too much lag time between game sessions, so knowing the tricks will definitely help!
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    Okay, maybe I’ll write up some stuff tomorrow when I can sit down at a keyboard. I’m currently posting on my iPad with a toddler climbing all over me—not the best setting to write a long post. 
    edited September 2
    I can't work out how to warp out of my first system now lol  :D

I've only got 80% of my warp cells though so I guess I need another one?

Can't remember how I get the antimatter now. You go into orbit and scan, don't you? I manage to lose one piece somehow, can't remember what happened now. I got one piece from the shop on the space station at one point.

I'll try scanning in orbit around some planets tomorrow and see what happens.

Trinity
    All, here's a NMS wiki I found that has lots of reference info in it.  I've read quite a bit.  Right now most of my time is spent outside the game researching it rather than actually playing it.

Trinity
    nalex66 said:
    No, it only needs power if you want to teleport out from your base. I wouldn’t get too invested in your home planet base... find a nice planet with a non-hazardous environment, and build a new base beside a small outpost. Then you can walk around without worrying about your exosuit, and you’ve got a trade terminal right there.
    Ok, thanks again.  My home planet has a very moderate climate and resources are easy to come by.  So far I've made about 3 million by digging up buried technology modules and selling them on the adjacent space station. 
    That's a great idea about building next to a trading post.  I'll do this.
    Come to think of it, if the planet I started on where I had to repair my ship is my 'home' planet, then that's not actually where my base is.  It's on a different planet where I began to set up a base with a base computer.  It doesn't wear down my exosuit when I'm moving around.
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 983
    3Jane
    If you have a nice home planet and have researched metal buildings and solar power/batteries you can build a trade terminal in your base.  Once you get a freighter a trade terminal can be built in it also.
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
    snowdog said:

Can't remember how I get the antimatter now. You go into orbit and scan, don't you? I manage to lose one piece somehow, can't remember what happened now. I got one piece from the shop on the space station at one point.

For the first warp, they give you antimatter as part of the main quest (you have to craft an antimatter housing out of common materials, then craft a warp cell from the housing plus the antimatter). For the second one, they give you the blueprint so you can make your own antimatter. It’s really worth following the main quest until you reach the anomaly. It’s basically a long tutorial that opens up all the game systems.

If you’ve got 80% in your warp drive, you can probably make a jump. Just open the galactic map from the Quick Menu on your left hand when you’re in space, and you should be able to choose the next star system to warp to. 
    nalex66 said:
    Ok, thanks again.  My home planet has a very moderate climate and resources are easy to come by.  So far I've made about 3 million by digging up buried technology modules and selling them on the adjacent space station. 
    That's a great idea about building next to a trading post.  I'll do this.
    Come to think of it, if the planet I started on where I had to repair my ship is my 'home' planet, then that's not actually where my base is.  It's on a different planet where I began to set up a base with a base computer.  It doesn't wear down my exosuit when I'm moving around.
    The quest to build a base computer sometimes takes you off-world, I guess. In my case it was on my starting planet, which had a high-temperature environment. I’ve got three bases now, and I rarely return to the early ones unless I need a mineral that’s easy to find on those planets. 

Those buried technology modules sell for big bucks, but you’ll want some of the salvage data to unlock blueprints (everything is available at the anomaly research station, while your portable research computer only gives you access to a smaller subset of stuff). 

I’ve made my money mining cobalt mostly. Caves are easy to find, and cobalt is everywhere. I dig up about 1000 cobalt, and refine it to ionized cobalt. You end up getting a bunch of tetra-cobalt which refines to ionized at a rate of 150:1 too, along with high-value items like vortex cubes that are often found underground. I usually end up making a million units from a quick mining run. Most refined materials sell for a lot, but I keep the other stuff like chromatic metal because it’s so often used for repairs and crafting. 
    RattyUK said:
    If you have a nice home planet and have researched metal buildings and solar power/batteries you can build a trade terminal in your base.  Once you get a freighter a trade terminal can be built in it also.
    Good to know. I didn’t see trade terminals in the tech tree, but I didn’t look too closely at base building options—my first two bases were the wooden ones that the quest has you build, and my third is just the large cylindrical pre-fab. I’ve got a solar panel and battery to power things, and last night I added floor switches in front of my teleporter and storage container so they don’t drain my power by always being on. 

I think a freighter is next on my to-do list. I thought that was something that should’ve popped up in the main quest by now, but maybe there’s something I need to do to trigger the event that leads to it?
  • Griff0xGriff0x Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    A few things to consider whilst you journey through the stars/planets.

ancient bones are a nice resource for extra $, scan a planet from space,  if it states ancient bones then land on the planet and go dig some up.  range from 80k to 2m depending on rarity.  

Radiated/Super critical planets... Storm Crystal during a storm.. if you need a big cash injection stick some radiation protection on your exosuit and go farm them, better still is; once on a storm/extreme planet,  create a small base so you can TP to it whenever you need some cash. fill your inventory and sell them all at once at a station as the price will change downward rapidly at that station. 

Larvel cores,   you will find these around abandoned buildings.  you can either sell them for quite a bit or stick them in a refiner (i do this always). use the terrain manipulator to build a tunnel under each set of eggs,  go down the tunnel and destroy the eggs from underneath,  the cores will roll to your feet to pick up whilst you are away from any danger.

"digging up buried technology modules and selling them",  whilst OK money, not great,  you are better off using these for releasing your construction parts. 

Manufacturing facilities - you can get blueprints for crafting rare trade-able items here, massive money. millions per hour once a farm is setup to produce the products to craft the item to be sold.  You will need to shoot your way into the building and answer a question at the terminal for a random tradeprint,  get the right print or a couple of the right ones and you will never worry about money again. 

if settling in one place with your base then research Electro magnetic generators and the survey device, free endless power,  i have 20 connected biodiomes all powered like this.  just run through and reap the rewards whenever i return to the base. 

My home planet is as bleak as bleak can be.. just rocks, mountains and the odd blade of grass. 

hope this helps someone. 
    G

nalex66 said:
    snowdog said:

For the first warp, they give you antimatter as part of the main quest (you have to craft an antimatter housing out of common materials, then craft a warp cell from the housing plus the antimatter). For the second one, they give you the blueprint so you can make your own antimatter. It’s really worth following the main quest until you reach the anomaly. It’s basically a long tutorial that opens up all the game systems.

If you’ve got 80% in your warp drive, you can probably make a jump. Just open the galactic map from the Quick Menu on your left hand when you’re in space, and you should be able to choose the next star system to warp to. 

Yup, I've done all that but when I leave that screen, go back to my ship and have a look around I can't see anything. I was expecting to see a similar red icon or something. I must be missing something somewhere. That's why I thought I needed 100% to jump into hyperspace because I couldn't find an icon anywhere.

Griff0x said:
    A few things to consider whilst you journey through the stars/planets.

ancient bones are a nice resource for extra $, scan a planet from space,  if it states ancient bones then land on the planet and go dig some up.  range from 80k to 2m depending on rarity.  

Radiated/Super critical planets... Storm Crystal during a storm.. if you need a big cash injection stick some radiation protection on your exosuit and go farm them, better still is; once on a storm/extreme planet,  create a small base so you can TP to it whenever you need some cash. fill your inventory and sell them all at once at a station as the price will change downward rapidly at that station. 

Larvel cores,   you will find these around abandoned buildings.  you can either sell them for quite a bit or stick them in a refiner (i do this always). use the terrain manipulator to build a tunnel under each set of eggs,  go down the tunnel and destroy the eggs from underneath,  the cores will roll to your feet to pick up whilst you are away from any danger.

"digging up buried technology modules and selling them",  whilst OK money, not great,  you are better off using these for releasing your construction parts. 

Manufacturing facilities - you can get blueprints for crafting rare trade-able items here, massive money. millions per hour once a farm is setup to produce the products to craft the item to be sold.  You will need to shoot your way into the building and answer a question at the terminal for a random tradeprint,  get the right print or a couple of the right ones and you will never worry about money again. 

if settling in one place with your base then research Electro magnetic generators and the survey device, free endless power,  i have 20 connected biodiomes all powered like this.  just run through and reap the rewards whenever i return to the base. 

My home planet is as bleak as bleak can be.. just rocks, mountains and the odd blade of grass. 

hope this helps someone. 
    G

Also don't forget to have a dig around Ancient Ruins, you might find some nice surprises! 😎

snowdog said:
    nalex66 said:
    snowdog said:

Yup, I've done all that but when I leave that screen, go back to my ship and have a look around I can't see anything. I was expecting to see a similar red icon or something. I must be missing something somewhere. That's why I thought I needed 100% to jump into hyperspace because I couldn't find an icon anywhere.
    The red icon is just the main quest waypoint--it won't lead you to antimatter unless you're on that particular part of the quest. You can check your quest status or choose which quest to track in your log.

I'm not sure what you mean about "leaving that screen and going back to your ship". You choose your warp target in the galactic map, then hold right trigger on it to warp to it. If you don't have enough fuel in your warp drive, it'll tell you in the galactic map that you can't go anywhere.
    Oops, didn't see that prompt telling me to press the right trigger! I'll try that later on tonight lol :D

Haven't had time to start a tips thread, but I want to touch on the inventory slots upgrade that I mentioned earlier. I had read about it a few times, but it took me a while to figure out how to actually get it, so here it is: When you get to a space station, there are vendors selling upgrades for your exosuit, ship, exocraft, and multi-tool on one side (opposite from where the teleporter is). Go to the exosuit vendor's booth, but don't talk to him--instead, interact with the hologram that looks like a backpack. You can choose a new slot in your general inventory, technology inventory, or cargo inventory. Choose your category, then click Purchase Upgrade at the bottom of the window. It looks like you're going to get charged for it, but there is no money actually deducted.

The extra inventory space becomes very useful as you progress, so you should always make sure you claim your one free one from each space station. You can also get a free one from the exosuit vendor booth in the anomaly for each new system you visit from (you can summon the anomaly any time through your Quick Menu when you're in space).

The other way I know of to get inventory upgrades is from drop pods that you find on planet surfaces. When you find one, walk inside and you'll see the same exosuit hologram, which you have to repair to claim the upgrade.
    Trinity
    nalex66 said:

I’ve made my money mining cobalt mostly. Caves are easy to find, and cobalt is everywhere. I dig up about 1000 cobalt, and refine it to ionized cobalt. You end up getting a bunch of tetra-cobalt which refines to ionized at a rate of 150:1 too, along with high-value items like vortex cubes that are often found underground. I usually end up making a million units from a quick mining run. Most refined materials sell for a lot, but I keep the other stuff like chromatic metal because it’s so often used for repairs and crafting. 
    Ok, now we're talking.  I'll check for some Cobalt in caves when I get back to my base planet.  Does cobalt always exist in caves?
    Oh and by the way, for those that haven't figured out how to decrease the sphere size of your terrain manipulator in "extraction" mode - you CAN do this in the VR version.  This may be common knowledge by now, but I just learned this a couple days ago.
    The yield of your extraction varies greatly by the sphere size.  There are two ways to shrink it down to maximize yield when mining an ore deposit.  You can press either "R" or "T" on your keyboard to change it.  I haven't tested this yet because going to the keyboard in VR sucks ass.
    The other way is to select your terrain manipulator on the back of your right hand, the change it to "extraction" mode or whatever it's called.  Back out of the menu with left trigger.  Then go to the menu on the back of your LEFT hand and choose quick menu and then the recharge option. 
    Now use the the left and right grip buttons to change the size of the extraction sphere.  When you press a grip button, the sphere will appear and you'll see you can change the size of it.  Once you've shrunk it, back out of the menu system with your left trigger. 
    Now start mining.  The yield will increase by about 10x with the smaller sphere.  A game changer.
    Setting your sphere size this way is completely counter-intuitive but it works every time.
    Thank you all for the tips so far.  Brilliant!